Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #856
Beep
My heart and soul live in Florida!

Some great ideas o. Here, I will definitely be getting a couple of carabiners to hang my baseball cap on my backpack and using the lids to catch icecream drips.

Couple of tips to add:

I use a toiletry bag that has a hook on it and hang it from the shower rail. It helps to keep everything to hand and keeps things neat.

I use a mineral powder foundation that is spf15. It stays on all day and works really well. Sun cream slides off my face whether it is an oil free one or not so this powder is a skin saver for me.

I also use a waterproof coating over the top of my mascara. It stays on even in the pool and it means if your favourite mascara isn't waterproof you can still use it. It comes off quite easily with make up removal wipes.

DH uses baby oil to shave with rather than shaving cream and the heat and humidity don't affect his skin afterwards wheras shaving foam does.

I use baby oil on the tops of my feet when wearing sandals or Crocs and they don't rub at all. Don't put it on the bottoms of your feet you you will slide straight out of the shoes and straight on your backside!

We use roc minesol spf30 sun spray which is brilliant. I've got a travel sized empty spray bottle and put some in there to keep with us when we are out and about.

I've got a wallet with a security strap on it and clip it to the inside of my backpack, or on my belt loop if I have cargo trousers on. My Mom wanted one and we couldn't find one anywhere, so we bought her a canvas wallet and had a rivet put through it in the centre of the back section when it was folded. We then bought a safety chain with a ring at one end and attached the wallet to it. It worked perfectly.

UK Spending Game #5
Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #857
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeters1965 View Post
I travel internationally to places where you can be sure there are bedbugs in the hotels. There is a camping product called Premethian that you can treat clothes, tents, etc with that kills them and keeps them away.
I just looked this stuff up, and it does not sound like anything I would want someone spraying on bedding. According to Wikipedia it is pretty toxic, especially for pregnant women and children. Even the less toxic version called pyrethrin can trigger asthma attacks and nausea.

Please do not spray this stuff in hotel rooms and on the bedding that is not yours!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #858
msminniemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep View Post
I also use a waterproof coating over the top of my mascara. It stays on even in the pool and it means if your favourite mascara isn't waterproof you can still use it. It comes off quite easily with make up removal wipes.
What is the name of the product that you use for waterproof coating the mascara?
msminniemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #859
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeters1965 View Post
I travel internationally to places where you can be sure there are bedbugs in the hotels. There is a camping product called Premethian that you can treat clothes, tents, etc with that kills them and keeps them away.

I pack a small spray bottle (2 oz or so) and as soon as you get to the hotel room pull back the bed sheets and give a nice spray particularly around the the edge of the bed. Take off the pillow cases and give the pillows a spray.

Let it dry (10 mins at most) and put it back together. 100% confirmed . . no bed bugs.

Also I treat my suitcase exterior and interior. No need to bring any of those critters home.

There are a couple videos on you tube that shows how effective this stuff is on the bugs and it is 100% safe for people.
Never never never do this; these products don't work at all and they give you a false sense of security. They can also be dangerous to yourself and others.

Infomercials and youtube commercials don't compare to actual hard evidence that nothing but heavy duty chemicals, extreme heat, or extreme cold kill bedbugs. Those chemicals are illegal for use in the US now because they are so toxic. If you buy stuff to "spray around" and kill bedbugs, you are just tossing money away. We actually sprayed a heavy duty bathroom cleaner with bleach on one bedbug and it didn't kill it.

Do a bedbug check of your room before moving in. Check all drawers and the floorboards, look in pillowcases and along the inside creases of the mattresses. Keep suitcases off the floor regardless; we don't even bring in our suitcases until we do a check.

Bedbugs are an epidemic at this point, and if there was something so unbelievably simple as a spray to kill them, you can bet there'd be no epidemic. Every hotel worth their salt would have stockpiles of the spray and it would be part of the sanitation of every room. As it is, there are still tons of bedbugs; they are EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of. No spray is gonna do it. Especially not once!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #860
suetoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmm2 View Post
2. Take a picture of your photo pass card. We lost ours on our 1st day and did not have the number to register it. We did have the pictures taken on our camera also but would have liked to have seen the ones that they took.
I filled out the form for lost photopass cards and if it was found and turned in, I might have a chance of them being found.
I also agree to take a picture of your photopass card, or if you have one ahead of your trip, pre-register it! I have lost a card and frantically traced my steps to find it, but have since realized.....You don't NEED the card to retrieve your pictures! Just the number! SO if you lose your card, but have your number, don't fret and waste a ton of time looking for it...just plug the number in when you go home!
Just ask the next photographer for a new card and start again from there...there's no limit to the amount of card numbers you enter!
suetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #861
Celine
Mouseketeer

Okay so.. statistically speaking, how often ARE bedbugs found in WDW hotels? I (ignorantly) thought they only existed in your seedier hotels and motels and have never even once thought to check for bedbugs, or take precautions against them, in a hotel I was staying in. Apparently, I was lucky.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #862
Mrs.viv07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msminniemouse View Post
What is the name of the product that you use for waterproof coating the mascara?
:::butting in:::
i use this and its fabulous!

Viv DH DS DS DD

7 angels watching over us; including our daughter Kiara born sleeping jan 4, 2013

read our blog :http://vivnmichaelsworld.blogspot.com/

Before you leave an angry comment, read my entry at least twice to make sure you understand what I am saying, or accusing me will just make you sound really stupid. If reading it twice is too tedious for your brain, well what can i say. =)

follow my pre-trip report as i go crazy over planning for sept 2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post45093687

read about our Jan 2007 trip here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553770
Mrs.viv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #863
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
Okay so.. statistically speaking, how often ARE bedbugs found in WDW hotels? I (ignorantly) thought they only existed in your seedier hotels and motels and have never even once thought to check for bedbugs, or take precautions against them, in a hotel I was staying in. Apparently, I was lucky.
Unfortunately bed bug cases are on the rise, as the chemical that was so good at killing them has been banned. It was pretty toxic for humans too, turns out. It is not an indication on how clean a resort is, as they can hitch-hike in the luggage holds on airplanes, or be brought into a resort any number of ways.

The best thing to do is to quickly inspect your room before you bring your luggage in. Look at the seams on the mattress, for anything that looks like little brown or black specks. Look at the headboard too. And to be on the safe side once you get back home leave your luggage outside of your house for a few days, especially if it is hot. Extreme heat will kill the little buggers.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #864
Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msminniemouse View Post
It's called waterproof mascara top coat by Urban Retreat. I got mine in the UK so not sure if that particular one is available internationally.

UK Spending Game #5
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #865
Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
My friend and her Mom stayed at the Yacht club and they had to move rooms and have all their belongings treated with high heat because of evidence of bed bugs. Disney paid for new clothes as they weren't allowed to take anything, and I mean anything, out of the room or suitcases. In fact, they werent allowed back in the room at all.

UK Spending Game #5

Last edited by Beep; 06-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #866
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I only read half the pages but didn't see this listed: a bunch of plastic grocery bags. I use fabric reusable ones at the grocer, but the plastic (disposable) are great for packing. I wrap my shoes shoes in them. They take up little space for us flyers,weigh nothing, cost nothing, and keep shoes from snagging or dirtying clothes, and they work well to put dirty clothes in later. I pack a bunch of extra ones too.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #867
MycatlovesEeyore
Two WDW fanatics are now a family of 4 with a little princess and a little pixie because of Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust!!

Snacks in the park

As for a snack in the park, we carry beef or turkey jerky. It provides protein, wont crumble to pieces, and won't spoil!

We also carry the crystal lite packets as well as propel packets to flavor water. You have to stay hydrated and these help cover the local flavors in the water at the parks.

SIX TRIPS BEFORE KATY-BUG
SEPT 2002 KATY IS BORN
FOUR MORE TRIPS BEFORE LILY-BELLE
MAY 2005 LILY IS BORN
SEPT 2005 WLV / FEB 2006 WLV / JUL 2006 HHI / FEB 2007 WLV / DEC 2007 WLV / FEB 2008 WLV / FEB 2009 WLV / JUL 2009 AKLV-VB / APR 2010 YC (Adults only) / JUN 2010 GC(DLR) / JUL 2010 VWL-VB / JUL 2011 BCV-VB / DEC 2011 WLV / JUL 2012 AKL-VB / JUL 2013 BLT-VB / JUL 2014 BWV-VB / DEC 2014 VWL / JUL 2015 ???-VB

I think we may have a problem...
MycatlovesEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #868
Cdnmom6
Mouseketeer

I bring m&m tubes for same reason! .

I also bring ziplock for everything. And a clear plastic envelop with snap on it for paper momentous to keep them flat and clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat View Post
AWESOME tip! For anyone collecting the smashed pennies, the Mentos Gum containers are just the right size to put them in. You can get a LOT of them in a container and you can peel the labels off and glue on a piece of paper with each child's name on it if you have more than one kiddo collecting them. Also keeps Mom or Dad from having a bunch of loose, smashed pennies in their purse/pocket/pack at the end of the day and small collectors arguing over whose are whose!

And on the Crystal Lite packets tip.... they make some that are labeled "Hydration" that will help replace the electrolytes you lose sweating in that toasty FL sunshine! Pedialyte also now makes a powdered mix packet.
Cdnmom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #869
RCM1969
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Leave in conditioner!!

I will never forget our first trip to Disney in 1999. Thank god we had rented a car because I made my husband drive to a supermarket for leave in conditioner after the second day. We live in the country and have well water so all the chlorine in the pools and showers etc. made my hair feel like straw after two days.
RCM1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #870
Carolo
Earning My Ears

These are all wonderful ideas! I've started a list...now if I just remember where I put my list before I go in January 2013!
Carolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: