Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #661
1tripandIfell
Earning My Ears

The things I pack...

One new thing that I found is Boudreaux's butt paste (for babies diaper rash...not sure if you can find it everywhere) now comes in a spray...This is perfect to spray to keep from chafing during those long hot days..My have for DH. I also packed a small pen light in our backpack for reading maps, notes, etc. at night in the parts of the park that aren't so well lit. One other tip that I read somewhere, take a cheap sponge that you would use for dishes squirt dishwashing liquid on it let it dry and then cut it into little squares, you can use these to wash a quick cup or plate in the room whatever and the sponges stay dry and mess free until you are ready to use either in your room or in the parks.

Me(29) DH (29) DS (12)
Della (Pup) Jazz ( 2nd pup)
1tripandIfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #662
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy5648 View Post
OK so I know this really isnt a packing tip and more of just a "while you are there tip". DH and I are from Maine. Even in the winter it gets REALLY hot for us...after all we are used to wearing a snowsuit year round We stayed at pop the first year it opened and have been doing this ever since the CM tipped us off to this idea. The A/C units have a sensor that senses motion. So when we would walk into our room it was REALLY hot. He told us next time we were at a park right before we leave purchase a balloon. If you tie it to the room chair and have it in the middle of the room where the fan blows it will set off the motion sensor and keep moving which will keep the room nice a cool It worked!!! and now whenever we go I always pick up a cheap balloon and our room is always nice and cool
This is a great tip!!! I wonder if the motion sensors in the A/C are only in the newer hotels? Anyone know?

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #663
coachsrs
Earning My Ears

We always take a couple of cheaper carabiners that we can put onto packs or our shorts that we use to hold things like our hats while standing in line or on rides. I also use a very small compact zipper camera case for keeping up with our tickets and Fast Passes so they are all in one place and dry in their ziploc bag....just in case.

All-Star Music: Summer-2010
All-Star Sports: Summer-2008
All-Star Sports: Spring Break & Summer-2007
All-Star Sports: Spring Break, Summer, & Fall Break-2006
All-Star Sports: Spring Break & Summer-2005
Marriott Village: Summer-2004
All-Star Sports: Summer-2003
Marriott Village: Summer-2002
All-Star Sports: Summer-2001
All-Star Sports: Summer-2000
coachsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #664
MegSmethurst
Mouseketeer

So a bunch of page back there was a tip about chapstick. I love chapstick! There is a million uses for it, and it's always cheap! My suggestion for using chapstick is to shave off a layer of the stick with a piece of your hair. Usually we women have a spare piece floating about, and you can pull it tight to shave a part of it off! I hope this makes sense. Think of a cheese cutter or an egg slicer. Try it, it works!!

MegSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #665
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegSmethurst View Post
So a bunch of page back there was a tip about chapstick. I love chapstick! There is a million uses for it, and it's always cheap! My suggestion for using chapstick is to shave off a layer of the stick with a piece of your hair. Usually we women have a spare piece floating about, and you can pull it tight to shave a part of it off! I hope this makes sense. Think of a cheese cutter or an egg slicer. Try it, it works!!
What does this "do"? Like if you drop the chapstick while open, are you cutting off the dirty part, is it good for your hair?
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #666
Disjunky
New DVC Junkie

This is a great thread and im sure ill have some reppeats.
1. bandaids(moleskin) i always get listers so ill usually justbandaid up pre blister. Esp if im playin golf down there.
2. Mini laptop with downloaded digital copy movies. I can get bored (as well as my DS) with the tv selection if we are in the room and on the flight.
3. Ziplock bags, you never know.
Ponchos, i have never used them but that makes me think that haing them scares away the rain.
4. More than one pair of shoes. this is more for the blister thing. I like my feet to be comfortable esp once the blisters come.
5. Cell phone charger. Laugh now.
6. Camera. Sounds silly but i am a photog junkie. I take pics of everything and some of nothing. Last year i used my Nikon d3000 and took upwards of 300 pics a day. Back to the Laptop thing. Good place to dump your photos "DAILY"
DVC member

August 2001, August 2002, September 2003, August 2004, September 2005, August 2007, September 2008, January 2010, December 2011, October 2012
Disjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #667
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Fantastic thread!!! Add a roll of papertowels or stack of napkins. Always can use them in your room.
WDWRids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #668
CherylLynn
Disney Bride 11/11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmj9801 View Post
What does this "do"? Like if you drop the chapstick while open, are you cutting off the dirty part, is it good for your hair?
The chapstick thing was from a previous tip somewhere in the last 45 pages. I don't know if I can remember all the uses, but I'll try.
Chapstick with sunscreen- no sunburned lips. Also can be used to cover the part in your hair. Liquid sunscreen is hard to get in the part, with the chapstick you can swipe it right on the scalp in the part.
In a pinch can be used on the feet to prevent blisters or in areas that chafe (in case you forgot your Body Glide).
If someone's nose gets raw from blowing// wiping// rubbing it chapstick can be used to moisten the skin if you don't have vaseline (just a tip from me- don't use any of the ones that have scents, esp peppermint like Burts Bees- it can irritate raw skin. Plain old chapstick works best for this).

That's all I can remember for now. The point of the hair tip above was to use a ssingle strnd of hair to take off a layer of chapstick so you can wipe it on other body parts. That way you're not wiping it on your feet or inner thigh then reapplying on your lip. Or you can just carry two tubes. One for your mouth, the other for everything else. The hair strand thing just means you only have to carry 1 tube. HTH!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #669
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy5648 View Post
OK so I know this really isnt a packing tip and more of just a "while you are there tip". DH and I are from Maine. Even in the winter it gets REALLY hot for us...after all we are used to wearing a snowsuit year round We stayed at pop the first year it opened and have been doing this ever since the CM tipped us off to this idea. The A/C units have a sensor that senses motion. So when we would walk into our room it was REALLY hot. He told us next time we were at a park right before we leave purchase a balloon. If you tie it to the room chair and have it in the middle of the room where the fan blows it will set off the motion sensor and keep moving which will keep the room nice a cool It worked!!! and now whenever we go I always pick up a cheap balloon and our room is always nice and cool
This is a great idea! Are all the ACs like this? Do they sell balloons at the resort? I can't picture it, and don't really want to bring one back from a park. I'd pack one, but I'm sure it would need to be blown up with helium to stay up and moving...
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #670
mindy5648
living in Maine but my heart is at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
This is a great idea! Are all the ACs like this? Do they sell balloons at the resort? I can't picture it, and don't really want to bring one back from a park. I'd pack one, but I'm sure it would need to be blown up with helium to stay up and moving...
Im not sure if you can get balloons at a hotel...def the parks...If you have a car you can get one from publix im sure
1/5/03 - Our first official date - The magic started at the Magic Kingdom
5/13/03 - He moved from Florida to Maine to be with me
October 2007 - After the wishes fireworks show he made me the happiest girl in "the world" and proposed
November 9th-16th 2008 - We had our planning session
January 5th, 2009 - I married my prince charming
January 10th - Reception in Maine
January 3rd-11th, 2010 - our Disneymoon
Jan 23rd-30th, 2011 - back to WDW with all of the in-laws ASMu
Jan 20-29th, 2012 - 1st stay at Coronado Springs with friends
mindy5648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #671
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread! Having never stayed on Disney property before (and my trip next year will be my first since 1994!) I had no idea what to bring other than the usual. I've learnt ALOT! I am definately subscribing to this thread! I know I'll be the most prepared first timer by next September!!!

Sept 29-Oct 10, 2012 POR, Jan 6-15th, 2014 POR, Oct 2-6th, 2014 BCV, October 6-10th, 2014 DCL Wonder
*Heather & Melissa's Epic Adventure PTR October 2014*
*395 days of planning all lead up to this! Sept/Oct 2012*
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #672
roumic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
We bring a roll of toilet paper from home! Much softer than the hotel stuff on our sensitive bottoms!
Which is why we bring flushable wipes. One thing that we bring is matches aka Cajun air freshener. After blowing it just be sure that you pass it under water to ensure that there are no trash can fires when you throw it way.

Last edited by roumic; 09-23-2011 at 09:49 PM.
roumic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #673
tjdismom
Earning My Ears

Some of our 'must haves', that are probably majority repeats, but I'll put them out there just in case:

-ziploc bags of various sizes (big for wet clothes after Splash Mtn or Kali, small for snacks and wet face cloths)
-frozen/wet face clothes (freeze overnight in ziploc and take into parks for hot days)
- baby wipes
- sm. pocket router for wifi access in room (DH is techie)
- powerbar for camera and phone chargers
- frozen bottled water for cold water all day
- body glide for chafe during long days of walking/also helps with blisters
- cheap ponchos
- glow sticks/bracelets/necklaces from dollar store
- id tags for kids sneakers
- tea bags from home ...... just can't find the right tea in FL yet

probably more just can't think of anything else right now!
tjdismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #674
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

So many great tips on this thread already but wanted to add 2 of my own travel must-haves:

A turbie twist towel for my hair. If you are a 2 towel person, one for the hair and one for the body, then get a turbie twist. Small, super-absorbent and now I think you can even get them at Target. My grandmother bought me one years ago when they first came out off of QVC or some other home shopping, and I have to say, it is one of the best cheesy gifts EVER. I always pack one for each of us girls in the suitcase because there are never enough towels for everyone.

Also, my book-light. My DH hates the big light when he is trying to sleep, so I always use a book-light. It has come in handy during night at the park and I just clip it to my shirt or bag strap for hands free map reading.

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #675
tjdismom
Earning My Ears

I forgot my best find from our last trip.....Purex laundry sheets! Easy to pack and one sheet for wash and dry!
tjdismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: