Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #436
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Rubber bands and memo clips = to close bags of chips and such. Memo clips are also good for holding curtains shut, hanging up items to dry.
My own washclothe. After finding someone elses you know what hair, on a unused washclothe in our DVC room, I bring my own!

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #437
Mom&RN
Mouseketeer

Benadryl

I always bring some benadryl (generic brand). This med is good for SOOO many things. It works for:
  • allergy attacks
  • bug bites
  • rashes
  • general itchiness
  • insomnia
  • motion sickness
  • nausea
This is a great drug with almost no adverse side effects except for sleepiness (which is a good thing if you are having insomnia). I don't take any trip without taking a dozen or so benadryl caps along. We often don't need them but they have been life savers in the past.

2003 - Offsite, 2006 - Offsite, 2007 - Pop, 2009 - AKL, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - Pop, Jan 2013 - BC (WITH Non-DH!!), Sep 2013 - CBR (girls trip!), Feb 2014 - BW (conference), May 2014 - WL (club level!)
Mom&RN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #438
Disneynat
DisneyNat

For the romantics...

...it's not a super practical item, but we take battery powered candles with us whenever we travel. They create a nice ambiance on the balcony table while watching fireworks/having a glass of wine/etc after a long day of vacationing. And, the battery powered candles mean that you don't have to worry about any accidental spills.

1990: First trip of many to WDW (CBR)
Result: Becoming a lifelong Disney fanatic!!

2011: First trip to WDW with my husband (WL)
Result: Hopefully turning my husband into a lifelong Disney fanatic!!!
Disneynat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #439
janischa
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

what we take

what we are planning to take with us (i still need to find/buy these products though) and has not yet been mentionned on this list are
* a mini and light droodle pad to keep our little one entertained (for flight and wait time at rides)
* some dough (flour mixed with water) in a small plastic bag to keep it soft (for flight; in case our girl sticks it in her mouth, no need to panic)
* a mini note pad to scribble memorable things my DD says or does and back home to stick it in her dairy (i keep a dairy for her as i notice it's so easy to forget the cute things they did or said when they were small; let alone answer future questions they may ask like 'what sort of baby/toddler etc was I ?')
* books to leave behind; i don't know if they do it in the disney hotel, but in asian hotels sometimes you find traveller's book exchange, where travellers leave behind books they've read and/or take away books other travellers left behind; so for those that read fast/ a lot, they have to lug less books along
janischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #440
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Our must haves...

1) Brita pitcher & filter for water
2) Some Ziploc bags for left overs or to protect things from rain/water rides
3) Small flashlights
4) Several reusable small tupperwares for leftovers
5) Peets Coffee & filters for early morning coffee in-suite
6) 3oz Sunscreen, hats, and mini rain ponchos - one for everyone
7) Reusable ice packs
8) Neoprene water bottles one for everyone
9) Metal travel coffee mug - 1 to share with spouse
10) Reusable shopping bags (most of ours are Disney themed & we never ever accept a one-time use plastic bag from a store!)
11) Markers & crayons + 30 pages of blank paper in Gallon Ziplock for kids to draw while we are at Signature restaurants to prevent boredom.
12) Black Sharpie marker
13) Ziploc with wipes
14) Advil in travel case
15) First aid kit - Neosporin, bandaids, nail clippers & tweezer - always have in backpack.
16) iPad for me, book for spouse, and Nintendo DS Lites for kids
17) all those charger cords & adapters

We fly in, never check luggage, and all this plus our clothes goes in carry-ons in the overhead compartment or under seat in front.

Last edited by BoardwalkSuzy; 03-23-2011 at 04:57 AM.
BoardwalkSuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #441
becauseisaid
You are what you eat. So don't order the jerk chicken.

What a fantastic thread!

One recommendation I make is for a good sunscreen. Especially for children. I love Luca (http://lucasunscreen.com/) My daughter burns really easily and we've had a hard time finding a sunscreen that works for longer than 10 minutes. Luca is expensive ($30 for a small bottle), but it lasts for 6 hours. It is not greasy at all and it works as well in the 5th hour as it does in the 1st. Actually, I've never had to reapply when my daughter is wearing it. I've noticed this year that they have a spray Sport version, but I haven't used it before so can't say how well it works.

becauseisaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #442
buckeye_chicky
Earning My Ears

great ideas! I'm going to have to start making my packing list.
buckeye_chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #443
buckeye_chicky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintGonaGrowUp View Post
Insted of using ice packs, I freeze caprice sun packs or juice boxes over night and use them. even before they melt, its "entertaining" it squish and try to drink while waiting for a parade or in line... I'm 22 years old and i still find it "entertaining"
great idea!
buckeye_chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #444
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardwalkSuzy View Post
1) Brita pitcher & filter for water
2) Some Ziploc bags for left overs or to protect things from rain/water rides
3) Small flashlights
4) Several reusable small tupperwares for leftovers
5) Peets Coffee & filters for early morning coffee in-suite
6) 3oz Sunscreen, hats, and mini rain ponchos - one for everyone
7) Reusable ice packs
8) Neoprene water bottles one for everyone
9) Metal travel coffee mug - 1 to share with spouse
10) Reusable shopping bags (most of ours are Disney themed & we never ever accept a one-time use plastic bag from a store!)
11) Markers & crayons + 30 pages of blank paper in Gallon Ziplock for kids to draw while we are at Signature restaurants to prevent boredom.
12) Black Sharpie marker
13) Ziploc with wipes
14) Advil in travel case
15) First aid kit - Neosporin, bandaids, nail clippers & tweezer - always have in backpack.
16) iPad for me, book for spouse, and Nintendo DS Lites for kids
17) all those charger cords & adapters

We fly in, never check luggage, and all this plus our clothes goes in carry-ons in the overhead compartment or under seat in front.
You should check out a waterbobble for each family member. You wouldn't need the Brita. http://www.waterbobble.com/

And about all those chargers we bought a chargepod.
http://www.callpod.com/products/chargepod
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #445
M.A.D.aboutDisney
Always searching for new Disney Adventures!

Thumbs up So many ideas

I love the ideas! My favorites are the popsicle lids, pool noodles and the autograph picture frame idea. I don't have any new ideas to add but I do have a list of things to add to my packing for my next trip!
Feb. 2006-AS Movies
Sept. 2007-POR
Sept. 2008-POFQ + 1 nt. CBR
Sept. 2009-CBR
Apr. 2010-visited friends in Puerto Rico instead
May 2011-POP
M.A.D.aboutDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #446
Aurora&Prince
They named her after the dawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shih-Tzu View Post
Something I take that I normally don't take when I travel anywhere else is Crystal Lite in the little individual serving tubes - if I don't like the taste of the water...I use one of those and if you take them out of the box, they take VERY little room when travelling.
This is also a GREAT idea because you can bring them into the parks. Water is free, so all you have to do is order a water anywhere and you can use these to spice up the tastes so youre not just ordering the same thing
Aurora&Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #447
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeaman View Post
I buy my kids beaded bracelets with my cell phone number on them (think name ID bracelets with numbers in place of the name. They are about $4 each (search etsy.com) and can be used any time we go somewhere with a crowd. There are styles that even my DS8 is willing to wear. His looks like a Hawaiian shell jewelry piece.
This is a brilliant idea! Would be so easy to make, too, as a pre-trip activity!
rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #448
skaliscik
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeaman
I buy my kids beaded bracelets with my cell phone number on them (think name ID bracelets with numbers in place of the name. They are about $4 each (search etsy.com) and can be used any time we go somewhere with a crowd. There are styles that even my DS8 is willing to wear. His looks like a Hawaiian shell jewelry piece.

This is a brilliant idea! Would be so easy to make, too, as a pre-trip activity!
That's what I did (made my own). I made them 2 strands, so they have both my cell and my husbands on it (in case one of us doesn't hear it, battery dies, etc). I got Mickey head beads on ebay for the bracelet.
skaliscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #449
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaliscik View Post
That's what I did (made my own). I made them 2 strands, so they have both my cell and my husbands on it (in case one of us doesn't hear it, battery dies, etc). I got Mickey head beads on ebay for the bracelet.
Could you please post a picture? I am a visual learner and would love to see the finished product.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #450
jm-mom
Mouseketeer

Some of these things may have already been covered. Anyway, we always bring:

digital thermometer
kid and adult cold meds and pain relief
ds chargers
notebook for each child to make notes in or color in
liquid hand soap
our own kid and adult shampoo
Dial bar soap for the shower
cheapo flip flops to wear to the pool
large (20 oz or larger) for ice water in th3e room
collapsing laundry hamper for dirty laundry
brand new toothbrushes travel toothpaste for each family member

When we leave to go home I leave behind the soaps, shampoo, flip flops, water cup and toothbrushes/toothpaste. We get home and just return to using our normal daily supply we've left at home. I also leave the ponchos behind. That way I don't bring home anything wet and half used that I won't need at home. Other than the ponchos, it's probably not even $10 worth of stuff left behind and a lot more convenience for me.

Our kids are 10 & 8 and we usually travel on the dining plan. I use an ecv in the parks and we usually go in Dec. If we have bought ponchos that trip I fold them up and put them in the seatback pocket along with our umbrella and they'll stay their the duration of the troop. Going into the park I have a small purse with park pass, some cash, a bottle of meds we might need in park and my digital camera. My dh and 2 kids take nothing in and whiz right past security and into the parks.

I've loved this thread and have gotten a lot of great ideas for our next trip.
jm-mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: