Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #376
rhax07
New DVC Member

What a fabulous idea...thanks i will definately do this

2010 - Coronado Springs Resort
2011- AKV Kindani
2012- BLT & SSR
DVC Member (BLT) since 9/2010
rhax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #377
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Emily View Post
Great tips! I have a list going already.

I just have a couple of questions that came up while reading cissy's post in this thread: I have a six and seven year old who will be turning 7 and 8 just before we go. Do you think we should rent a stroller? If so, how much do they cost?

I was thinking of bringing a backpack to the parks with snacks and frozen water, etc. - but as we will all be going on the rides together, will this pose a problem? I doubt we can bring backpacks onto the rides.

Thanks in advance!
We took a stroller for our then-4 year old on my mom's orders. I didn't want to b/c she usually walks with no issues. I was wrong, and I don't say that often. She fell asleep everywhere!!! My point for you is that even my 8 year old would sit in it, and we'd have to kick her out so the little one could sit in it. We are actually purchasing a new jogging stroller for this trip. It will be sturdier and easier on the hubby's back. The airline let us take it for free, so that was nice as it helped in the airport.

The other thing we did was to leave any bags on the stroller that we weren't nervous about someone taking. No one touched them. We will take our cameras on rides and such, but this year I will take ziplocs for water rides. We had no issues last time b/c we didn't take them on any water rides, but we'll take them on this time so we don't risk the bags being stolen. We have less adults with us for most of our trip in May, so we'll have to be more careful!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #378
ajchambers1
Earning My Ears

Moleskin to prevent blisters!
ajchambers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #379
bearlyanne
DIS Veteran

a blender! for making margaritas in the room
bearlyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #380
bearlyanne
DIS Veteran

ok, two more if you are traveling with lil ones.

Bring a stepstool so they can reach the hotel bathroom sink on their own.

and this is a MUST if you are traveling with a baby on a plane...

put one the following in a sm ziploc bag....
a diaper , a disposable changing pad and an individually wrapped baby wipes . I also lucked out an found individual packets of butt wipe. That way you can just grab the bag and go, and you won't be as crowded in the tiny restroom. it also gave me more room while sitting on the plane, because I took the ziplocs and put them in the seat pocket, and stored the big bag above me,

Last edited by bearlyanne; 02-02-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: grammar
bearlyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #381
Disneylvr1971
disneylvr1971

Cool

We take a Camelbak during the hot season. We fill it up with ice at the hotel room and Gatorade or water and it stays cold for hours. It saves a ton of money on water and soda at the parks. We also have one that has extra backpack space to store souveniers.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #382
mhconley
Califloridian

My XL coffee cup, a 1lb. bag of Starbucks coffee, splenda and half & half. I love relaxing on the balcony with my cup of coffee early in the morning as my family is getting ready.

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Polynesian: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #383
Punchy
Mouseketeer

I just posted this in another thread... I bring lens cleaner wt-naps for my sunglasses. Repeated sunblock applications = greasy fingerprints that are difficult to wipe off.

1993, POFQ | 2008, GF | 2009, POFQ | 2011, POFQ | 2012, CBR
Punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #384
DanielleandBrady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlyanne View Post
a blender! for making margaritas in the room
Great idea!!!

'89, '91-94,'08 Offsite
2002 POR 2009 BC 2011 GF
2012: BLT 2013: BLT
DanielleandBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #385
Mrs. Bob Loblaw
Mouseketeer

I usually bring a small soft cooler on wheels as my carry-on. I pack it like a suitcase, but use it like a cooler once at the resort. It can also make taking cold drinks to the pool much easier.

I also like to bring a pitcher, cold brew iced tea, liquid splenda, and a funnel. I'll stay much more hydrated if I'm not drinking plain water, and the cold brew is so easy to make. I use the funnel to make it easy to pour the tea into water bottles to take into the parks. You can freeze them overnight, too, so it'll stay cold, longer. It's also way cheaper than those crystal light individual serving packages.

An extra pair of glasses, in case mine break.

Straws and 2 large plastic cups, so I can make mixed drinks for hubby and me (those tiny plastic cups don't hold nearly enough for us!).

Ductape - it'll fix nearly anything. I've patched torn clothes with this (put it on the inside and it won't show much at all, and will even last through a couple washings!) and a busted suitcase.

Dishsoap, for washing our cups and reusable water bottles.

Fork, spoon, and knife for eating leftovers.

Booklight so I don't keep hubby awake.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #386
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope2000
My Mil recently was in a car crash, and thankfully she is ok, but I was impressed that she carried with her in her pocket book a notebook with exactly what medications she takes/recent surgeries, her drugstore information, (prescription numbers) etc. This was invaluable to the doctors. Her medications were not in her handbag, they were in the back of the car, which had been towed - since she had the information, and I remembered to ask about them, the doctors at the hospital were able to give her prescriptions of her medications prior to sending her home with us, and since she is on a number of medications, and she was somewhat stunned, this really, really helped. There are a few medications in my family, and I will be copying down all the information into my little book and carrying it with me in the parks. Just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniden View Post
I work in Emergency Services. This is something *everyone* should do if they have past medical history or take daily medications. Keep 1 in your wallet and 1 on your fridge.
We use a med Id card. Here's the website.

http://www.medids.com/samplecard2.html

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #387
noahdove
DIS Veteran

For my meds and other health info, I type it all on a business like card and carry it in my wallet...I am a tissue and organ donar and I want to be sure that anything that needs to be taken can be taken quickly...
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #388
Mrs.Bungle
Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bungle View Post
We shipped a box over with a lot of food items as well as toiletries. Almond milk, cereal, etc.. We also ordered a box of granola bars from Costco and had it delivered to our room.

Each day we would pack some "to go" cereal packets (pouch kind not box kind) and granola bars in the backpack to munch on. We used the almond milk for the cereal and it traveled quite well. We weren't on the dining plan and always ate breakfast in our room with our own food.

I like a strong cup of coffee in the morning and in room coffee, and other coffee in general is pretty weak so I add a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee to it to make it stronger. Same idea as the Crystal Lite.

Band-aid brand has a pretty nice little stick (under 3oz) of blister balm that came in quite handy as well.

I guess we packed fairly usual things. The travel toiletries section at Target turns me into a kid in a candy store. I know, it's weird. But I buy a new shower poofy each time and travel soaps etc...

I like the idea someone else posted about the drink cup lids for popsicles. that is a great idea! I've also used those lids to put ketchup on for dipping fries.
I was just reviewing this thread to shore up my packing list for the box we are shipping to POP this week and thought these were all good points and then realized it was DH that posted 6-months ago not even knowing that we were going again in March.

My biggest tip, for those that fly, is to ship the bulk of your items. We did have some leftovers last trip that we didn't want to take home IE Bottled Water and an almost full bottle of Sunblock, so we donated them to a family that was just checking in.
me DH Maggie Bubbles Porter
Mrs.Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #389
Mrs.Bungle
Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Thanks to all! I just went to amazon/body glide and found it. It was $7.99 but $5.25 for shipping. I'm gonna try a sporting goods store and Walmart again before I buy from amazon. Maybe save a few $$

Now I know what the packaging looks like and hopefully I will find it.

Great tips!
Someone mentioned Amazon Prime for mom's - it's also available to students for free with a .edu email address. You just have to watch that the item you are ordering is actually coming from Amazon to qualify for the free shipping.
me DH Maggie Bubbles Porter
Mrs.Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #390
redcubfan
Earning My Ears

Read this tip years ago and have shared it whenever possible...

We always take inflatable bath pillows that I picked up at Dollar Tree (I think they are shaped like a sea shell). They're terry cloth on one side and vinyl on the other; not very big when you blow them up, but they are a real rear-saver when you're sitting on the pavement waiting on a parade. After the parade, let the air out and they're totally flat so they take up no space in your bag. I guess you could use them other ways, but that's what we take them for. People around us always comment on them!
redcubfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: