Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #136
jasmom
Mouseketeer

I also pack the glow bracelets. We used them last year as bravery bracelets. On a ride my daughter thought was too dark or scary she would wear one and would be fine. We also gave a couple out in line a few times to other kids.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #137
Penelope2000
Earning My Ears

We bring a collapsable closet shelf, but ours is meant for shoes. We also bring about 10 of those small plastic white baskets (you can find for about "3 for $1") The baskets fit perfectly in the show openings. Everybody gets two baskets, (Dd, 13 tomorrow, could use more!) and there is one for other assorted items such as first aid, sewing kit, hair, another for receipts, etc. It really helps keep everything organized, and I like being able to grab my basket and head to the bathroom, or over to the desk/mirror area (with two teens, I never know when the bathroom will be available to brush my hair, etc.) This works better for us than keeping an over the door organizer in the bathroom.

I am sure that this would work for smaller outfits for younger kids (without using the baskets.)

We will also be bringing a pressure curtain rod and clip rings/sheet for our room at the Poly, as there is no divider between the sink area and the toilet area. I am actually a little surprised at that. When we stayed at the POR, we brought a shower curtain and those stick on/easy take off hooks to keep the sink area private - that worked great, but I think that there is now a curtain in that opening (they caught on!)

I bring peppermint foot lotion for the end of the day. Yum!

We will bring a small timer for the shower to help limit time spent (2 teens and Dh and I sharing 1 bathroom!)

We are bringing some Via, that Starbucks instant coffee, to add to our Nescafe. We like strong coffee, and really do not like the Nescafe.

Photocopies of fronts and backs of any Disney Gift Cards and Credit Cards that we bring. Anything important ID wise that I carry with me from the house, I will photocopy. (Backs have phone numbers and other important numbers.) Keep these in the safe.

An extra large plastic bag (Dollar Store has these) to carry with me to put my backpack in when we ride a wet ride (Kali River Rapids, etc.)

I am considering bringing binoculars.

Prior to Leaving, Other things that are helpful:

My Mil recently was in a car crash, and thankfully she is ok, but I was impressed that she carried with her in her pocket book a notebook with exactly what medications she takes/recent surgeries, her drugstore information, (prescription numbers) etc. This was invaluable to the doctors. Her medications were not in her handbag, they were in the back of the car, which had been towed - since she had the information, and I remembered to ask about them, the doctors at the hospital were able to give her prescriptions of her medications prior to sending her home with us, and since she is on a number of medications, and she was somewhat stunned, this really, really helped. There are a few medications in my family, and I will be copying down all the information into my little book and carrying it with me in the parks. Just in case.

Also important, we make sure that the person taking care of our dog has our dog's rabies certificate nearby where the sitter can see it, and we point it out to him. This has never been an issue, our dog is a sweetie pie, but you never know. We also fill out a small form approving how much we will pay for an emergency vet appointment without our knowing anything, prior to us having a conversation with our dog sitter/vet. This is so that they don't worry, and we know our dog will be taken care of immediately. I had a bad situation once pet-sitting someone's pet hamster, and I don't want to put anyone in a similar situation. The amount stated is pretty generous, but I would want to be part of a conversation about his health anyway, before major decisions were made.

Doing those last items may never be important, but they will give me peace of mind.

Dd and me at Epcot - 3 years later and she is now 6 inches taller than me! me, dh, ds (16), dd (13)
Penelope2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #138
FriendofTramp
Earning My Ears

What are the binoculars for? I've seen it recommended before but didn't know where/why I would need them.
FriendofTramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #139
RockAndRollBallerina
Mouseketeer

I always pack a power strip for the hotel room so I dont have to dig around for the other outlets in the room.
RockAndRollBallerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #140
Penelope2000
Earning My Ears

Regarding binoculars - I thought it would be great to see some things up close, like the animals or the Tree of Life in AK - Or parts of the castle at MK.

Penelope2000

Dd and me at Epcot - 3 years later and she is now 6 inches taller than me! me, dh, ds (16), dd (13)
Penelope2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #141
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We take a Glade Sense & Spray eveywhere we go. I don't like the ones that plug in, so this works well for us. It sprays whenever anyone walks into the bathroom so they don't forget Sometimes I put one in the room too, and when we walk in, it sprays and the room is all fresh again
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #142
TannersRfans
Earning My Ears

this may have already been mentioned, but there are too many posts to read them all first! lol

I'm new here and overwhelmed with all the info!!

here's my idea - we bring two big strong bungie cords to bungie our backpack and shopping bags to our rental stroller. the downfall is a tipping stroller when your child gets out - so be careful and hold onto it, or take your stuff off first, then let your child hop out!
December 2008 - All Star Sports
December 2009 - All Star Movies
October 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter
TannersRfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #143
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannersRfans View Post
here's my idea - we bring two big strong bungie cords to bungie our backpack and shopping bags to our rental stroller. the downfall is a tipping stroller when your child gets out - so be careful and hold onto it, or take your stuff off first, then let your child hop out!
Ooh! I know the answer to this one! You can buy those velcro wrist/ankle weights to put around the bars above the front wheels of your stroller to keep it from tipping. The downside is that you would then make your lightweight, portable stroller that much heavier to lug onto the bus...
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #144
osubugbabe
Earning My Ears

For foot pain

Epsom salts are great to soothe tired feet. Also, a flash llight to inspect your room for bed bugs!
osubugbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #145
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope2000 View Post
Regarding binoculars - I thought it would be great to see some things up close, like the animals or the Tree of Life in AK - Or parts of the castle at MK.

Penelope2000

We have used them while at CR to see MK better from our balcony.
We also used them to see AK from our balcony at the Dolphin.

Never know what you can see from your sindow/balcony.

NO window or people peeking allowed.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #146
FriendofTramp
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the tips about binoculars...sounds like a good idea!
FriendofTramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #147
sargenca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom View Post
I also pack the glow bracelets. We used them last year as bravery bracelets. On a ride my daughter thought was too dark or scary she would wear one and would be fine. We also gave a couple out in line a few times to other kids.
This is a neat tip!! My daughter is 4 and this is her first trip to Disney. I've been trying to come up with something for the dark rides!

We also take extra pillow cases to put over the hotel pillow case. I like having that extra layer between me and the hotel pillow. I figured this out after realizing that my nose is usually stuffy after spending the night in a hotel. If I forget my extra pillow case, I'll use a clean t-shirt and just lay it on top of the pillow.

sargenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #148
Jitzy
Mouseketeer

We always purchase the Resort Mugs. The problem is that there are 4 people in our family and only 3 colors of the lids. Last time we went, I brought along a blue lid from a previous years mug. I had our mugs marked and the lid colors sorted, so no one was grabbing someone else's mug. We use them a lot! Diet Coke tastes best when it is carbonated!!!!
Jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #149
rbdiaz
Earning My Ears

The shoe rack idea is a big one. Did it for the first time on a Disney Cruise, now do it all the time.
rbdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #150
TannersRfans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ibis View Post
Ooh! I know the answer to this one! You can buy those velcro wrist/ankle weights to put around the bars above the front wheels of your stroller to keep it from tipping. The downside is that you would then make your lightweight, portable stroller that much heavier to lug onto the bus...
that's a great solution. we always rent a stroller - but we may skip it this year. my son is 9 so he's certainly big enough to walk around, but he's a cancer survivor (5 years off treatment in october and we're celebrating in DISNEY) and he tires more quickly than then average 9 year old. we just can't decide if we want the stroller or not. we have to get the double, too!
December 2008 - All Star Sports
December 2009 - All Star Movies
October 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter
TannersRfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: