Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
Gdad
I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

Along the rail beside Casey's Corner is a good spot- nobody can stand right in front of you there.

From the Contemporary it's fun to watch but nothing really lines up for pictures.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Groucho
Why a duck?
You need every advantage you can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
Nice! Do you recall what floor you were on for this shot?

SSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by loumanchoe View Post
california grill -- roof top
Nope - not California Grill; I've never been there. Note that I said fire escape. What I've done is go out the fire escape door of the top publicly-accessible floor at the Contemporary, which I think is the 12th (10th?), use something to prop the door open just a little (one time, I found it already propped open slightly)... you could even use a park map over the latch... then climb up a couple flights of stairs and set up the tripod. Ultimately, I'm pretty sure it's the 14th floor. I don't remember who I first heard of doing this - maybe YEKCIM? - so I can't take any credit.

Here's a wide shot of what it looks like. You can see another set of fire escapes on the left.

I look forward to getting shots from the Bay Lake Towers viewing area once I get a chance to stay there! For fireworks though, they will line up even worse, as Gdad mentioned. (The larger fireworks are shot from a bunker completely outside the park.)
trip reports: 6/12, none; 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Photographing Wishes from the Poly beach?

DW and I are planning to have a late dinner at Kona and then relax on the Poly beach and watch Wishes and possibly the EWP next week. What should I know about shooting Wishes from there?

Best place to setup?

Wide angle or telephoto?

Aim high or aim low?

Or if anyone has photos of Whishes from the Poly share them here for us all to enjoy.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I would go to sunset point. See map.

You'll want to have a modest telephoto with you. I had a 28-70 and it stayed on 70. I lost a few of the high shells at this length but it would have been fine if I had not wanted to also get the Seven Seas Lagoon in the shot.

Be prepared for high winds - as in blow your tripod over high.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #20
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

All from lookout point at Poly with a D3 and 70-200. Some of these aren't really very good shots, but they will give you an idea of framing/castle size with each lens. Granted...full frame camera, so you will get a bit more reach with a crop body.

200mm:

135mm:

90mm:

70mm:

35mm:
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

We had our group setup on the beach in front of the Hawaii building. Shots are from 60mm-80mm on a Dx.

GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Evad
Our Greatest Natural Resource Is The Minds Of Our Children; Walter Elias Disney

Great shots guys!!

I will be right there come this Oct. The 22nd actually. We are staying one night in WDW before our cruise. Gdad will be joining me as well. What can be any better then dinner at Ohana and then Wishes... Can't wait!!!!

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / Nikkor 70-300mm VR / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 / SB 400 / Fuji S700 /

Evad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
Golf4food
Mouseketeer

Thanks much, everyone. That helps a lot. Looks like I'll use my 50-200mm and not have to worry about swapping lenses from there (and I can put it on inside the great house instead of trying to change lenses on a sandy beach).
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #24
wdwnut76
Mouseketeer

I passed your question on to my husband, who has photographed the MK fireworks from the Poly beach more than once. Here is his input:

If using an SLR (film or digital) and you’re at the Poly beach:
1. Use a tripod.

2. Use a 50mm lens/set the zoom to about 50mm (or to whatever field of view you like).

o 24mm is too wide and anything longer than 50mm is too close, IMHO

3. Use 400 ISO film/set the camera to 400 ISO.

4. Set the f-stop to f/8 or even f/16.

5. Set the camera to “B” or “Bulb” setting.

6. Attach a cable release.

7. When you see the rocket start up press the cable release to open the shutter.

8. After the rocket bursts and fades close the shutter.

o If a film camera advance the film.

9. Repeat Steps 7. and 8. For as long as you have film/space on the memory card.

Hope this helps,

Kornel

(He also gave me a picture to insert, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.)
wdwnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #25
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Hey guys - thanks so much!!

I hope to try this on Sunday night!! I got in to Orlando last night and if anyone is interested the weather is h-o-t..!! A bit of rain yesterday, but none today!

Thanks for the tips.

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
Docarino
Mouseketeer

Photographing Wishes

I'm leaving in under 2 weeks! It's my first trip with an slr so I'm really excited to take some pictures of Wishes but I'm a little nervous about the whole process of staking out a spot and setting up my tripod. I'm wondering- do people have an easier time setting up and getting a good spot on nights with spectromagic or nights without it? How early do you recommend setting up?

Thanks!
Docarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docarino View Post
I'm leaving in under 2 weeks! It's my first trip with an slr so I'm really excited to take some pictures of Wishes but I'm a little nervous about the whole process of staking out a spot and setting up my tripod. I'm wondering- do people have an easier time setting up and getting a good spot on nights with spectromagic or nights without it? How early do you recommend setting up?

Thanks!
My guess is that it is easier if there is no Spectro since people will stay in the same spot for both.
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #28
Golf4food
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Hey guys - thanks so much!!

I hope to try this on Sunday night!! I got in to Orlando last night and if anyone is interested the weather is h-o-t..!! A bit of rain yesterday, but none today!

Thanks for the tips.

How'd it go? Any good shots?

And it is not hot yet - if you are a Florida native.

It's only slightly warm yet.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
How'd it go? Any good shots?

And it is not hot yet - if you are a Florida native.

It's only slightly warm yet.
Hi Golf4food! Well, it went OK, I think - for my first attempt!! I am trying to work out how to get my RAW photos up (I'm very, very dumb, I think, when it comes to processing these things..!! ). Anyway, the photos look OK on my laptop! The electric water pageant stopped right in front of me, and it was a bit windy, so there is a bit of "wobble" in that part of the picture. But the view is really good and the music is piped in, so you hear it all too. The photos above are very accurate as to how yours will look.
As to the weather - I'm not a native of Florida, so it is hot for me!!! I'm from a sub tropical part of Australia, though, but we are starting to head towards winter, so I am re-acclimatising!! For us, even though the temp is 80-90, the parks are very hot (at least Epcot was today!!) But I know you are in for hotter than this..!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the great number, but these are my attempts at these photos! These are the JPEG's (for my sanity's sake!!). You can see what I mean re the EWP and movement - but I still have to learn how long to leave the shutter open as well!
It's my first attempt with this camera for fireworks, and using the tripod (I know I should have used it before I went away!) As I am here for a little longer I hope I can try again and learn from my mistakes!!!

Tags
photography, poly, wishes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: