Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
absmom2
Mouseketeer

Shooting wishes

This may not be the place to ask this so if not someone feel to move it. My DH has seen all the wonderful information I have gathered for our upcoming October trip and was hoping someone had some help for him. His passion and part time job is photography. When we were at Disney World last year we did not get to see wishes. This year, his goal is to see wishes and get some photos with the fireworks and the castle in the background. Can anyone tell him where would be the best location to achieve this??

TIA!!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

This thread talks about shooting fireworks and has some good examples for him to look at.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1474329

Dave

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D, Canon D30 IR, , Casio Exilm, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon EF 2X II Extender, BlackRapid, Canon 500D Lens, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod and Canon Speedlite 270EX, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
absmom2
Mouseketeer

Thank you! I'll have him take a look at it.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
shawn68
Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas, we call walking.

Best place for wishes with tripod

Just seeing what y'all thought was the best place for a tripod during Wishes.
shawn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Gdad
I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

This is about half way between the back of the partners statue and the curb. Not a bad spot unless a tall guy with a hat stands in front of you.

Last edited by Gdad; 08-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Gdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Gdad,

You are on the Castle side of the true beginning of Main Street? I see those are all 28mm and I will be shooting with a 35mm next week, so I'm planning where to set up - I'm guessing a bit further back near Casey's/The Plaza if I want a wide enough view...
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Gdad
I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

Im not sure what you mean by 'Castle side of the true beginning of Main Street' but from the partners statue- Waly and Mickey I would be behind Walts back about 1/2 way to the 'street' - I guess thats Main St there. Between the statue and the castle anyway.

Also keep in mind that is 28mm on a full frame sensor- equal to about 18mm on a crop sensor.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Groucho
Why a duck?
You need every advantage you can get

There's not really a "best" place, you can get different unique shots depending on where you stand. Gdad's is good if you want the castle to be prominent...

...you can go further back down Main St if you want the fireworks to be more prominent than the castle (I don't have any shots from there), you can go off to one side to get a different angle which may be pleasing...

or you can head offsite to the fire escapes at the Contemporary (no fireworks but you get the idea)...

or the beach at the Polynesian to get still more different views.

It's all in what kind of photo you're after.

Wider is better if you're close - I think that I had difficult getting all the fireworks in the frame when using a 28-75mm lens on my crop-sensor camera. This is a bigger issue at Illuminations but still a problem at Wishes if you're pretty close.
trip reports: 6/12, none; 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
shawn68
Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas, we call walking.

Thanks for all the info
shawn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

I like this spot....

I'll put my tripod on top of that trash can or (depending on what tripod I have) will set the tripod up in the street next to it.

From that spot I'm usually at around 30mm give or take and this is the view:

Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
or you can head offsite to the fire escapes at the Contemporary (no fireworks but you get the idea)...

Nice! Do you recall what floor you were on for this shot?

SSB
Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
loumanchoe
Earning My Ears

california grill -- roof top
loumanchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
I like this spot....

I'll put my tripod on top of that trash can or (depending on what tripod I have) will set the tripod up in the street next to it.

From that spot I'm usually at around 30mm give or take and this is the view:
I like that spot (or thereabouts) too. It should also be noted that the street begins slopping downwards in this area, so you have an advantage of being slightly higher than those in front of you.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
oregondaddyof2
Dis Dad's Club Member #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
I like that spot (or thereabouts) too. It should also be noted that the street begins slopping downwards in this area, so you have an advantage of being slightly higher than those in front of you.
That is a great point... I like being higher than the tall guys with hats in front... What is a good shutter speed to shoot firework shots at? Last trip, i just used the night setting on my D60 and shot away, but I want more trails and a clearer castle... I am going to have to experiment, just hoping to get a rough idea from you all...

Thanks
oregondaddyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
I like this spot....

Is there a sign up sheet for that trash can? I will be there in September and want to reserve it for a half hour.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photography, poly, wishes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: