Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #16
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
We are going to WDW from Sept 25-30 and end our vacation with our 1st cruise!!!

I'm so excited, espacially since this will be a surprise for the kids (actually 2 surprises WDW & cruise). we still haven't figured out how we will tell them

If you think of a cool way to tell them let me know
Us too!! Us too!!! We will be at AKV at Jambo House for 3 nights and 2 nights at BLT and then cruising! We're actually going back to WDW for another 5 nights at BWV. (Yes, this is the big vacation of the year for us!)

Where are you staying? What are your plans for WDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmiester View Post
Is anyone planning on organizing a FE group or any type of get together meet type things? Or is a 3 day ust too short for that?
I have heard about FE's but know nothing about them. If someone could explain maybe we can get something together for our shorty 3 nighter!

Can anyone help out explaining etc.?


Sorry I haven't been posting lately...just been busy and kind of distracted and not being able to concentrate, but I have to start soon getting everything together for our trip! I just ordered my DH water shoes yesterday...
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran
 
Blanche_Neige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 1,711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
Where are you staying? What are your plans for WDW?
We are staying at the All Star Movies, requested Buzz or Woody
I'm not sure what are our plans, we have always been to WDW in January so we have never been in FL heat! I guess we will play it by ear, but we will definitely swim more

[/QUOTE] I have heard about FE's but know nothing about them. If someone could explain maybe we can get something together for our shorty 3 nighter!

Can anyone help out explaining etc.?[/QUOTE]

I am new to cruising as well, so I read a little about Fish Extenders on the boards- looks fun but don't really know how it works and how they are started.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry I haven't been posting lately...just been busy and kind of distracted and not being able to concentrate, but I have to start soon getting everything together for our trip! I just ordered my DH water shoes yesterday...[/QUOTE]

I didn't think of that Do we need them?
__________________
Me DS (14) DS (12) DS (12)
Feb 1986 - Off site,
Jan 2007 - ASMovies
Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!
 
tinkerbell87512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,241

What's an FE?
__________________
-Cheryl

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
tinkerbell87512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #19
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

Hey! thinking of doing a B2B because of webmeiser THANKS!! lol

An FE is a Fish Extender. What you do is either make or buy a Fish Extender which is kind of like a letter holder/shoe back kinda thing. You get with a dis group like this one, and exchange gifts. Kinda like a secret santa kinda thing. Just give little gifts so the little ones have a special surprise.
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
Webmiester
Bring me that horizon...
 
Webmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 296

Hahhaha...

Jen you should do the back to back!
I hate to discuss costs and all cuz it is kind of bad manners, but we added the 3 day for 3 people for about 900 bucks including taxes fees and travel insurance. I think it was $350/adult and $150 for the peanut, so for you with your mom it should be about the same, $900 more (depending on room of course)....and it'll be less hectic than the park (although the park is definitely great!)

I found out the basics of having to do the back to back. You pack your stuff and put it out in the hall like everyone else. If you are staying in the same room, they will leave it there. If you are moving to a different room, the front desk will store it for you and have it taken to your new room.
You have to be off the ship at 9am and go back out to the terminal area, but can come back around 10:30. Because you'll already be familiar with the ship and all, it will basically be a 'day at sea' without being at sea. You get another awesome day of parties and tours and get to do all the things you didn't have time to or missed on the first one. :-) but you do have to do the icky practice firedrill thing with the life vests...I don't enjoy that part.
__________________
Webmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #21
Webmiester
Bring me that horizon...
 
Webmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 296

Water shoes.

Water shoes or 'aqua socks' as I call them from my wakeboarding days are always good to have. It is graet for going barefoot without risking hurting your feet. They are form fitting and don't typically let a lot of sand in so you can go from water to beach with much less mess. They are also great for the garden as you can just hose off the mud when you are done because they are made to get wet :-)
__________________
Webmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmiester View Post
Jen you should do the back to back!
I hate to discuss costs and all cuz it is kind of bad manners, but we added the 3 day for 3 people for about 900 bucks including taxes fees and travel insurance. I think it was $350/adult and $150 for the peanut, so for you with your mom it should be about the same, $900 more (depending on room of course)....and it'll be less hectic than the park (although the park is definitely great!)

I found out the basics of having to do the back to back. You pack your stuff and put it out in the hall like everyone else. If you are staying in the same room, they will leave it there. If you are moving to a different room, the front desk will store it for you and have it taken to your new room.
You have to be off the ship at 9am and go back out to the terminal area, but can come back around 10:30. Because you'll already be familiar with the ship and all, it will basically be a 'day at sea' without being at sea. You get another awesome day of parties and tours and get to do all the things you didn't have time to or missed on the first one. :-) but you do have to do the icky practice firedrill thing with the life vests...I don't enjoy that part.
OK you had me at "less hectic than the park!" you had me at "less hecic than the park!" heheh Where is your cabin? Ours is going to be about $2,300. Now take away the $1,200 we were going to pay for the park that long and you dont have a big difference but I would LOVE $900! :D

I have already emailed my AT at DU to give me a quote. I just know I am not going to want to get off that ship.
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #23
AllTexan
Mouseketeer
 
AllTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 87

We will be staying at the Caribean Beach Resort for 4 days of fun at the World before our cruise. Enjoying the FD.

I am going to have my DD14 and DD12 make an FE. I'll be sure to bring some goodies.
AllTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

It's official

I just booked the 3 day as well. Woohoo!

We decided to downgrade the 4 night to get the same room. Now we wont have to worry about ANYTHING! hehe I am so excited.

So in our party we will have me-Jen, my mom-Sharon, my mom's friend which is like another mother-Karen, and my daughter-Victoria who will celebrate her 9th birthday Sept 29th :D

Jen
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
Webmiester
Bring me that horizon...
 
Webmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 296

Awesome! I wonder if you took care to reserve the same room if it will inpact your chances of getting upgraded. We always book GTY (guarantee) to get the cheapest rates. Not really concerned with the room quality because we're only in there to sleep and shower. Last time we booked the lowest grade room (12-something) and got bumped to a cat 8 i think. Oceanview deluxe family. hoping to get the same this time....but who knows. I'll be happy if we just get bumped up to a room with the split bath.

So...is it safe to say you'll 'spearhead' this FE list as well? :-)
__________________
Webmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmiester View Post
Awesome! I wonder if you took care to reserve the same room if it will inpact your chances of getting upgraded. We always book GTY (guarantee) to get the cheapest rates. Not really concerned with the room quality because we're only in there to sleep and shower. Last time we booked the lowest grade room (12-something) and got bumped to a cat 8 i think. Oceanview deluxe family. hoping to get the same this time....but who knows. I'll be happy if we just get bumped up to a room with the split bath.

So...is it safe to say you'll 'spearhead' this FE list as well? :-)
I dunno, but I kinda hope they wont bump us up...unless they keep us in the same room on both cruises. We just had to get a verandah. I am not sure how I am going to take to a cruise and I think I am going to need to be near a view of the ocean. If I get sea sick, I dont think a room with no windows will work. I would LOVE to be able to book a cat 12 and hope to get upgraded, but I dont think I would be happy there.

Hey! I dont mind spearheading the FE list as long as it doesnt bother anyone else. I have been called a control freak on more than one occasion so I have accepted it and moved on Anyway, I am still researching how others have done it in the past so I can just pass it along here!

I'm so excited!!

OH I have to start a new count down. 101 more days!!!
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #27
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran
 
Blanche_Neige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 1,711

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenGC View Post
Hey! I dont mind spearheading the FE list as long as it doesnt bother anyone else. I have been called a control freak on more than one occasion so I have accepted it and moved on Anyway, I am still researching how others have done it in the past so I can just pass it along here!
[/SIZE][/B]
So it is written, So it shall be done!

Thank you so much for heading it. I have never sailed and wouldn't even know how to begin. But I am looking forward to participate in the FE

What do I have to do to sign up?
__________________
Me DS (14) DS (12) DS (12)
Feb 1986 - Off site,
Jan 2007 - ASMovies
Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

So, who wants to be a part of the Fish Extender group?

Let me see if I can explain it a little better. I re-read my post and I left some things out. A fish exchange is where people who want to participate exchange gifts or trinkets with others on the list. It is basically for the kids to give it a little MORE magic, like the cruise needs more magic! it is similar to a secret santa, but I hear it is much appreciated when people know who left the gifts so they can thank them. It doesnt matter what you give, if you give to adults AND kids, kids only, etc. That is up to you. The fish extender hangs from the fish that is right outside your door. I think it is a clip of some kind that they leave communication from the ship and note etc.

I will take up a list of those that want to participate and then names and "roles". For instance, Mine is me, my mother, friend, and daughter 9 which is celebrating her birthday week LOL She turns 9 on the 29th. So you can plan to leave gifts for everyone, or just Victoria. I just made extra pockets because I sell them. I thought it would be fun for everyone to have their own pocket but it is all up to you.

So let me know if you want to participate!

Thanks!

Jen
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
JenGC
DIS Veteran
 
JenGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
So it is written, So it shall be done!

Thank you so much for heading it. I have never sailed and wouldn't even know how to begin. But I am looking forward to participate in the FE

What do I have to do to sign up?
Great minds think alike I guess.

But here's a secret....I have never done this either!
__________________
JenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #30
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,295

for some reason, I'm not getting notified of updates to this thread...weird.

Anyway, we don't have kids, does that matter fish extender-wise?
If it doesn't matter, I think we'd like to participate!
Don't they sell the FE holder thingys on ebay or something? And then you just hang them and our DIS FE peeps drop off the trinkets etc.?

It is something I think we'd like to do. Does anyone know how much the FE holders go for on ebay?

oooh!!! Who here is taking Disney transportation from property to the port? Wouldn't it be neat if some of us were on the same bus?

We are me(42) will be celebrating b'day on boat on Oct. 1!!!
DH (33)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: