Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #781
birdie757
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbenny View Post
Here is the Pluto skirt I posted about earlier today that I want make the bowling shirt to go with for Hollywood studios and 50s prime time cafe.

Here are a couple of images I thought I could choose from to put on the back.

I wish I knew how to digitize, but maybe I can trace and do hand applique.
Not sure on the smaller features though, how do most people do those?

OR

I love the skirt! If it were me I would do just the tv on the back...just applique the main parts of the tv and paint or use buttons for the knobs. I might add the boomerang behind it though too since to me nothing represents that era more than that boomerang design. My grandma has the design all over her kitchen table and counters....lol.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #782
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I could use some inspiration as well.

I have decided to make a 50s style outfit for DGD for lunch at 50s prime time cafe. I made a poodle style skirt but instead of the poodle I used PLUTO. I used Carla C's flouncy skirt pattern in pink. I want to make a bowling style shirt to go with it. It will be white and the placket, collar and sleeve linings will be black/white check.

What I need is an idea of what to put on the back of the shirt? Something with a bowling shirt/disney/50s style theme? I was thinking to just use the sign from the 50s prime time cafe? But I would have to do that by hand or digitize it (which I don't know how to do, but I did download a free trial of digitizing software)

If someone has any better more creative ideas let me know.

I can post a picture of the skirt later (after work) if that would help with the creative process.
This is my Pluto skirt. I didn't think to do anything to the shirt. I just found a polo that I thought sort of reminded me of 50's. A do kerchief that we put on her pony tail. And cat eye sunglasses. I also think I found "spaldings" from Payless that were super cheap and worked for her in comfort.

I love your skirt. The color really makes Pluto stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof1 View Post
Look what I got today !!!!!
I won 20 fat quarters of gorgeous Jennifer Paganelli fabric from her blog !!!!
I never win anything, and last week I won this fabric and a $5. gift card for Amazon.com from another site!!!

You did go buy a lottery ticket? Didn't you?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #783
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Here my outfits for Chase's big give. I really enjoyed making these and wish I did more on the making end!

Chase's outfit -

For his sister -

And for big sis -

Then for Dallas' class this year!

The boys got cars. I almost went with Wall-E but changed at the last minute. He told me last night they were going to watch Wall E today and today is the day he took them in!

Now onto outfits for us for SWW!
Jessica, I love the Big Give outfits!! That Tiana is so cute!
You are so nice making all those crayon rollups!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy33 View Post

Do you have a PE770 Teresa? I am looking at one of these, and possibly the 780D, although, like others have said I just don't know if the extra money is worth the D.

I have the older one from Walmart, the 270D. The built in designs are not very good. They don't stitch out well, and they are all fill. Save the money and just buy Heather's designs, you will be a lot happier with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
OK...so today was supposed to be a catch up day. Finishing up a lot of projects I have started, so I can get on with some new projects.

I am making a Snow White dress, using the precious bodice, and a Peek-a-Boo skirt, with an embroidered Dwarf on the Peeking portion. I spent 30 minutes attaching the bodice and skirt together. It was perfect! The gathers were even and perfect! After I finished using the serger, I went to put it on the hanger...where I discovered, I put the skirt on BACKWARDS!!!

Take two...it was going ok, not as perfect as the first time, but OK. After I removed the pins and took it to the serger...I discovered the bobbin thread had ran out about half way through!

Take Three... well, let's just say it is on! No where near perfect...in fact it looks terrible! I put it up...I'll go back to it sometime in a few weeks! Right now, I don't ever want to see it again!

....so how has YOUR day been?

Nini

PS...thanks for the inspiration on the MVMCP...keep 'em coming!
UGGH!!!! I know just what you went through! It seems like I do my best work on things I sew wrong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know I got a message from Shardai this morning. So I hope to be chatting with her soon. (Please keep her in your prayers).
That is so good to hear!

Quote:
I never win anything, and last week I won this fabric and a $5. gift card for Amazon.com from another site!!!

I'm so excited that one of us won this!!!!!! YAY YOU!!! I love the Carla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybearsmom View Post
So jealous of that fabric haul! Congrats for winning!

Here is the finished, hemmed, and modeled shirt...

This is really cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylin View Post
Quick flyby question. I've got a bunch of cheapy WallieWork tees laying around that I bought at the end of summer last year. They all have that tiny pleating/gathering at the neckline instead of a plain tee. Do you think it looks okay when you put an applique on them? Or does the shirt not lay right anymore?

Oh, and where does everyone get their Minnie big dot fabric from. Joanne's only carries the small dot.

THANKS!!!
That sounds like the same T-shirt I used for Lydia's Thing 1 outfit. I thought it looked fine. And, if I EVER remember, I'll post a picture here!

I got my Big Dot Minnie at Hancock's. If you can't find it, send me a PM. It's the same stuff I used on the girls' Audrey skirts.

Quote:
Here is the Pluto skirt I posted about earlier today that I want make the bowling shirt to go with for Hollywood studios and 50s prime time cafe.

I love this!!! It turned out so cute!!! I keep thinking I'd like to make one of these, but I just have never gotten around to it. Yours looks absolutely adorable!

I love the Prime Time Cafe sign best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiverofArrows View Post
I did want to share on here that Geneva went to the cardiologist today and we had our best appointment yet. For the first time since she's been monitored (18 weeks in utero)...everything was WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS!! Her mitral valve is still measuring a negative 1.9 but up to negative 2 is still considered normal so she qualifies. Her next appointment with the cardiologist isn't for another five months! It was scary for us to move to the every 2 month appointments. I can't believe we're stretching them out for 5 months!! At one point her left ventricle was 30% smaller than the right but as of now, it is beautiful and it is the same size as the others! : ) She does have a fever of 102 for the past two days and I'm praying it's a quick bug or a tooth coming in.
That is WONDERFUL news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granna4679 View Post
I finally finished the "sample" dress for a customer. I didn't want to use her fabric until I made sure she liked it so this is a sample. I "hand" appliqued it so that the Walt/Mickey would be bigger in proportion to the castle. Plus I used Heather's wording (thanks Heather!).

and the back
That turned out so cute!!! I can't believe it's just a sample! Wonderful job!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #784
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiverofArrows View Post
Kristine~I am so very sorry for your losses this week. I'm sure this must be difficult for all the loved ones of those no longer with them. Was this your friend's first child? How far along was she? How is she doing?

I did want to share on here that Geneva went to the cardiologist today and we had our best appointment yet. For the first time since she's been monitored (18 weeks in utero)...everything was WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS!! Her mitral valve is still measuring a negative 1.9 but up to negative 2 is still considered normal so she qualifies. Her next appointment with the cardiologist isn't for another five months! It was scary for us to move to the every 2 month appointments. I can't believe we're stretching them out for 5 months!! At one point her left ventricle was 30% smaller than the right but as of now, it is beautiful and it is the same size as the others! : ) She does have a fever of 102 for the past two days and I'm praying it's a quick bug or a tooth coming in.
Great news about Geneva!!!!

Thank you on the other matter. My friend was 6 months along. Her son had a genetic heart defect. It is not her first. She has a daughter who will be 2 next month. She is doing ok. She is Hindu so they have very different philosophical ideas about death than I do. I think her beliefs are actually helping her get through this as well as she is.

Quote:
I finally finished the "sample" dress for a customer. I didn't want to use her fabric until I made sure she liked it so this is a sample. I "hand" appliqued it so that the Walt/Mickey would be bigger in proportion to the castle. Plus I used Heather's wording (thanks Heather!).

and the back
that's a SAMPLE??????

Quote:
Kristine,

I am sorry for your rough week. When it rains, it pours and life just doesn't seem fair too often. I know God had a plan but it is so hard to see that when you are in the moment. Prayers.
Thanks Jessica. I posted on FB but I got a little pick me up when I got home from the wake tonight
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #785
NaeNae
DIS Veteran

Another day of storms and tornadoes, Ugg! We went to the storm cellar or aka the "Tormato trap" (DGD4), but luckily they all went south of us!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #786
h518may
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie757 View Post
OMG! My Ashley is also 4 and her birthday is also Nov 21st! That is so crazy...we celebrated her 4th birthday the same weekend last year at WDW. This year we can't though since her sister is due in Oct.
That's neat that they are both Ashley and exactly the same age. Difference is we will not be having any little sister here, only an older brother.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #787
ellenbenny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here my outfits for Chase's big give. I really enjoyed making these and wish I did more on the making end!

Chase's outfit -

For his sister -

And for big sis -

The boys got cars. I almost went with Wall-E but changed at the last minute. He told me last night they were going to watch Wall E today and today is the day he took them in!

Love the big give outfits, they will love them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore4Ever149 View Post
Just taking my new countdown ticker for a spin!

Looks like we are going to get to go!!
I still have to buy tickets for MNSSHP..We are going for 8 days, with 6 days of parks, one travel day and one water park day.

So that means potentially 7 outfits for each of the girls!! WOW! I haven't sewn like this for a trip before! Or if I did, it didn't seem like a lot at the time!
Maybe because Megan was an only child and her clothes were little!

Lets see...
something Tink
something Dumbo
something Belle
mmmmm.....something mickey
Oh! Something Nemo for sure!

Hannah's will be easier I think...
But Megan will need a feliz, some audreys, simplysweet....easy fits....custom Ts...
and DH saw the shirts I made the men for the Big Give and said he would be interested in having one! SO- Probably HS's Goofy and Donald shirts for him!
The trick will be making them and not letting him wear them til the trip!
Congrats on a trip planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
Another way you can do the logo of the cafe would be to handpaint it. It is much easier than people would lead you to believe All you need to do is print out the logo to the size you want, and with a heat transfer pencil (you can buy them at Joann) trace the outline of the design on the back (you are essentially creating an iron on for lack of a better explaination). You iron the paper with the logo and the outline is then transferred onto the fabric. Then you just paint away using fabric paints. I like to use SoSoft paints by DecoArt. If you can color or paint by number you can do this. It is really easy and you get great results.

That is how I painted this logo for our Tiana Vida:
Thanks for the input. That Tiana vida is really cute! After reading all the suggestions I think I will try to hand applique the prime time sign, and possibly paint on the smaller details. We'll see how that goes and I will post the results if successful.

Quote:
Ellen - that is so cute!!! If I were doing it, I would do the first one (the sign). On the tiny details (like the word "Cafe"), I sometimes use a fabric pen and just draw it in. Thats what I do for small eyes, whiskers, freckles, pin stripes, etc....you get the idea.
Thanks for your ideas. What kind of fabric pens do you use? Just permanent markers or are their special fabric pens to buy?

Quote:

and the back

and a close up...

Now I am off to start Sea World outfits with more great designs.
That is just gorgeous! I'm sure she will love it!

Quote:
I love the skirt! If it were me I would do just the tv on the back...just applique the main parts of the tv and paint or use buttons for the knobs. I might add the boomerang behind it though too since to me nothing represents that era more than that boomerang design. My grandma has the design all over her kitchen table and counters....lol.
Thanks for your help. I think I will try to applique some of the sign, not sure how much detail I will include until I see how it looks. I definitely won't be adding the coke advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyfromDE View Post
This is my Pluto skirt. I didn't think to do anything to the shirt. I just found a polo that I thought sort of reminded me of 50's. A do kerchief that we put on her pony tail. And cat eye sunglasses. I also think I found "spaldings" from Payless that were super cheap and worked for her in comfort.

Thanks! Yours is really cute! I think mine needs a petti under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
J
I love this!!! It turned out so cute!!! I keep thinking I'd like to make one of these, but I just have never gotten around to it. Yours looks absolutely adorable!

I love the Prime Time Cafe sign best!
Thanks! I think it is unanimous, I will do some version of the sign.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #788
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!

I am finally remember to post the Dr. Seuss Audrey skirts! I made these for our Islands of Adventure day. Lydia wanted to be Thing 1 and Arminda was Thing 2. Then, Brian asked if I could make shirts for everyone! I love that man!

So, here are too many pictures for yah!

I took these pictures AFTER they wore them all day! So, they are a bit wrinkled and not real clean!

Front of Lydia's Skirt, with Fish and Thing 1

Instead of the Fish, Arminda had the Cat in the Hat, and Thing 2 on her skirt:

And the back of both of them looked like this.

If I made them again, I think I'd leave out the white and aqua ruffle.

You can kind of see Lydia's shirt in this one. It's gathered at the neckline.

A fairly bad picture of everyone, but the only one I have of us all together!

And, just my family

Lydia in "line" (there was no line though!) for the Dr. Seuss ride:

We had a lot of fun at IOA! The park was EMPTY! Everything except that tower thing was a walk on, and Corey and Lydia went on that and were done within 10 minutes of going into the line! They were the only two that went on it. And, since I'm posting pictures, I'll post that one too.

My finger is over Lydia, but you can see Corey.

Without the finger in the way:

and, it went way up:

I was really hoping Lydia would be too short for this ride, it scares me! She didn't mind it at all though.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #789
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!

Quote:

Question: My DGD5 has requested the "blue" Tiana dress for Halloween. Any ideas on which pattern you would use to make that kind of dress for a five year old?
I'm not sure! I talked a Big Give family into doing the green one because I didn't want to have to think about it!!! Where's Janet? She always has great suggestions for patterns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyfromDE View Post

You did go buy a lottery ticket? Didn't you?
I was hoping you would post this again!!! It's one of my favorite outfits, and such a cute picture!!!

How are you doing? I've been thinking of you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeNae View Post
Another day of storms and tornadoes, Ugg! We went to the storm cellar or aka the "Tormato trap" (DGD4), but luckily they all went south of us!
Stay safe!! And, head for the tomoto trap if you need to!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #790
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

and the back

and a close up...

Now I am off to start Sea World outfits with more great designs.
Love this...how do you become a customer?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #791
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
So cute! Love the fabrics!

Quote:
We loved meeting you and Joe too!!! Corey really liked talking computers with you!
The book was "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" Corey wanted me to make sure you knew it wasn't a kids book, and he hasn't actually read it all! So, be warned. Here's a link to a site where you can download it:
***************/bZdb1v
I also saw a place where you could download the audio version.
Thanks! I tried reading the first page. It might be too heavy for me.

Quote:
Beautiful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Toadstool* View Post
OPINIONS AGAIN PLS!
I appreciate everyones comments about resorts. I really think we are going to stay at the Poly.
I'm considering going to Disney World on December 12th through 17th or 18th.. Was going to go November 14 through 20th. For some reason it is cheaper in December so that is why I am considering it.
Anything bad about going then? Why is it cheaper??
My laptop that I have only had for a month decided to just stop working. The hard drive has to be replaced. I am on my DH's computer, but will check in soon.
Also does anyone know if I can celebrate my Hannah's birthday while there and actually say its her birthday?? Her birthday is on November 23rd.. My DH is offshore then so we can't go then. Does it matter to them at all?? She is set on having her birthday at Cindy's castle... I'm hoping they won't care that it is 2 weeks later.

Alicia - Her shirt is great! You made a great save!
No problem with the birthday.

I really love the Poly. Such a great location! Love the beach, tiki torches, lush landscape, watching the castle change colors, the Electric Water Pagent....if you're booking a garden view I like the Tokelea (sp?) longhouse-bigger rooms, all floors have balconies and a great central location.

Early Dec is a great time to go-you'll love it. Just make outfits that can be layered as it can be 90 or highs in the 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia View Post

Love those pants! Table runners and Buzz outfit great too!

Quote:
Yeah! I decided on the crib set theme! I just placed my order for the basics. I am going with the Alphabet Flower Fairies by Michael Miller. I am going to use the large strawberry fairy panel for the main part of the quilt. I am going to applique the individual alphabet squares from the other panel to the inside of the bumpers. I got some of the white all over fairy print for a sheet and other misc things. I am going to coordinate with white, green and red with white polka dots for the valances, dust ruffles, and all that other jazz. Here is a link to the line so you can see what I am talking about http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/...ower%20Fairies...

I wanted something totally different from dd's room. It looks like a pink and purple princess bomb went off in there...lol. I also hope this is a design that she won't grow out of too soon.

What do you guys think?
What a great line of fabric!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSue View Post
FOUR MORE DAYS!!
Skirt front (I did the appliques on water soluble stabilizer and then stitched them on the sheer fabric):
Love everything but I really LOVE that skirt!!!! All the other other outfits are great too. My kids would love those Sponge Bob shirts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry View Post
You all have inspired me (and my daughters) with your beautiful creations, so for the first time in over 6 years, I broke out the sewing machine again. Here's my first attempt, a Cinderella work dress. I am not happy with the tie on the apron, so I am redoing it, I will post that later!
That looks great as do all your outfits! Great job on the applique too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore4Ever149 View Post
SOARIN-
I don't know if Megan will be tall enough- she is 38" now (no shoes) and we go in Oct- she would need to be 40"

But have any of you taken a 4yr old on Soarin?

Test Track???
My youngest DD was tall enough to ride both of these at 3 1/2. Before I took her on Soarin I didn't understand why there would be a height restriction. She HATED it! She was a bit afraid of heights. She tried to climb out of her seat the entire ride. I kept her down and tried to shield her eyes and ears. She declared she would NEVER ride it again. On the same trip she LOVED Test Track!!!

Next year at 4 1/2 she wasn't crazy about going on but did it willingly sitting between me and her older sister. This time I think she was old enough to realize it was "just a movie". She LOVED it and insists she ALWAYS has.

She's now 7. She rode Everest at 5 and hasn't been back on yet but I think she might want to try it this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
Sorry that I haven't been around and thanks to everyone who has shown support over FB. My best friend's son was born sleeping on May 5th and Sunday my oldest childhood friend was in a freak accident-fell and hit his head- and wasn't found in time to save him. The wake is tonight and funeral is tomorrow. I thank you all for your love, support, and prayers...you girls are the best ((HUGS))
I'm so sorry.

Quote:

Chase's outfit -

For his sister -

And for big sis -

Those are ALL so great! Sure they will all be well loved. I would never have the patients to make enough crayon roll ups for an entire class.

Quote:

SO cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybearsmom View Post
Here is the finished, hemmed, and modeled shirt...
Great job!

Quote:

Love the skirt! I found this more simplified version of the sign:
http://blog.ricknroxy.com/dinner-at-...ywood-studios/

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
Another way you can do the logo of the cafe would be to handpaint it. It is much easier than people would lead you to believe All you need to do is print out the logo to the size you want, and with a heat transfer pencil (you can buy them at Joann) trace the outline of the design on the back (you are essentially creating an iron on for lack of a better explaination). You iron the paper with the logo and the outline is then transferred onto the fabric. Then you just paint away using fabric paints. I like to use SoSoft paints by DecoArt. If you can color or paint by number you can do this. It is really easy and you get great results.

That is how I painted this logo for our Tiana Vida:
WOW! That is painted! I might have to try painting a shirt for DS-he wants a Carousel of Progress T.

Quote:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that!!!!!

Quote:
Those are great!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #792
littlepeppers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

and the back

I sure do love me some butt ruffles. Your Walt & Mickey came out great. I need to practice on the small space stuff. Any tricks?
09 POP
10 POP

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #793
h518may
Mouseketeer

Question----Does anyone know of a Ratatouille embroidery design?

I have looked all over etsy and can't find one. We are going to France for lunch during our trip and hope to see Remy. I was thinking a dress for DD with the Eiffel tower material and Remy embroidered on. I have a 4x4 hope, and I don't think I am good enough to do a design by hand.

Thanks

April
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #794
QuiverofArrows
Mouseketeer

Anita~your sample dress is amazing! Love it!

Where is the best place to buy the Vida pattern? My girls would like for me to use that to make their Thanksgiving outfits this year.

Also, any suggestions on where to get Grinch fabric? That's what my 7yo would like for her VMCP outfit. Thanks.

We really need to decide this week what we will be doing for the park days. We priced it out and the children are saying they would rather have a 6 day ticket instead of a character meal. We would make them with no expiration so we could spread the days out over a vacation now and then another the following year. I think the thoughts are that if we do that then the following year we would have enough money for some character meals since we wouldn't have to buy our tickets. We can use our GAD tickets as a credit towards the 6 day purchase. I guess I could make a reservation just for Chef Mickey now and then cancel closer to the date if we end up having enough money for the other tickets. (Children are now motivated to declutter because we are following Dave Ramsey's advice and not charging a thing. ;-D) Perhaps I could mark the 6 week out date from our trip and make that the deadline to cancel our ADR.

Guess I'll try to go back to bed in a bit. Geneva appears to have a tummy bug and is still running a fever, even after Motrin. BTW, if you have any children's Tylenol then you need to check to see if it's been recalled. We don't use it often but have it here in case someone has a high fever or can't sleep. Ours was recalled so I'll have to call in the morning to see what to do. It wasn't recalled during the previous two recalls but is now.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #795
QuiverofArrows
Mouseketeer

I forgot to share Geneva's caring bridge site and will try to remember to add it to my sig line.

caringbridge.org/visit/Geneva

I haven't updated the pictures because I haven't figured out how to resize them yet. I know. Again, another pathetic techie problem for me.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: