Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #61
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for reading!

Sorry about the delay in the posts. Things have been very busy around here. We are putting up a fence and spent all of our Victoria day weekend on it and it looks like all of next weekend too.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #62
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Ohana

I booked dinner at Ohana when my ADR window opened. We had a good time Sunday at 6:30, but I did try without any luck to move this reservation. It is a popular choice.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of dinner, but it is a popular meal and I am sure most of you have seen pictures of the meal. I did take pictures of the lobby while we were waiting.

I was expecting a wait after we checked in, knowing how popular the restaurant was and it looked like a big storm was heading in. I had read recently about when Spirit of Aloha is canceled due to weather they fit those guests into Ohana. Luckily we were able to find a seat in the lobby and only waited 15-20 to be seated.

We were shown to a table near the windows. It looked like a two seater that they added a third chair, so it was a little cramped. I ordered a Lapu Lapu to drink. It was good. When DD saw the pineapple come out she wanted a drink of it. So I asked if she could have a drink (pineapple juice) in a pineapple. They said no problem and after reminding one of our waiters a second time they brought her a pineapple full of pineapple juice.

Our food came out very quickly. We had hardly started on the bread when the salad come out followed quickly by the wings and dumplings, then the noodles, and finally the meat. We barely had a chance to try one course before the next one arrived and our small table became very crowded.

All the food was better than I had expected. The bread was a little dry and we had to ask for butter. The salad had a nice flavour and crisp. Both my DH and thought the wings were very good, sticky and tasty. I thought dumpling were dry and a little tough, but DH thought they were good. I liked the noodles with the dipping sauce. The meat was good not to dry. I think Dh and I both preferred the pork to all other meats. I didn’t enjoy the shrimp because you had to peel it. DD declared that she did not like any of the food and that there was nothing for her to eat. I asked one of the servers and they brought her a hamburger and fries. My favourite part of the meal was the dessert the bread pudding was delicious but I thought the serving was too small.

Since we were not that hungry we didn’t mind that everything come out so quickly. It kept us from filling up on just one course. The service although rushed was very good they were very accommodating and it was busy in the restaurant. They didn’t even charge us for DD pineapple drink. I was really impressed with Ohana and it would be a must do on our next trip.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #63
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Akershus

With a four year old daughter Akershus is a must do for the princesses. Last time at WDW we came here for breakfast, but this time we wanted to try lunch. This was our World Showcase day, since WS doesnít open until 11 it was also one of our sleep in days, we didnít need to arrive until our ADR at noon.

We checked in at the desk and only waited about 5-10 minutes to see Belle.

After we were seated at our table. Our waitress took our orders and we were directed to the buffet. Akershus has a buffet of smoked and pickled fish, cheese and fruit as an appetizer. It was a favourite last time we ate here for breakfast and we enjoyed it again at lunch.

For my entree I had the Open-faced Chicken Sandwich with potato and fennel salad and hearty vegetable soup. I liked my sandwich the ligonberry mayo flavour went well on the sandwich. The potato and fennel salad was good, but I didnít like the vegetable soup. Itís flavour did not go well with the sandwich or salad.

DH had the Salmon Burger with potato and fennel salad and hearty vegetable soup. He found it to be bland, and thought my entree was superior. He agreed with me on both the salad and the soup.

DD had a Hot Dog, she seemed to enjoy it and ate it all.

The Princesses were great. I would say that the character interaction was the best of all our character meals.

I donít have a picture of dessert, but it was served family style and came with three treats. Sweet and Savory Chocolate Mousse,Traditional Rice Cream - topped with Strawberry Sauce, Flaky Puff Pastry - filled with Mascarpone Mousse topped with fresh Berries as listed on allears. I liked all the desserts with the rice cream as my favourite followed by the puff pastry.

I would eat at Akershus again. The food and service was good and the character interaction was the best we had.

Up next Le Cellier

Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #64
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Terrific reviews! I love your style, and your family seems so great! I also want to tell you that you are partially responsible for my decision to upgrade us to the GF for the surprise birthday trip I'm planning for DH in November!! I think it's really cool that Ohana brought out a pineapple full of juice for your DD, and even cooler that they didn't charge you for it! We had basically the same experience as you, the food comes out fast, service is rushed but decent. LOVED the pics of Akershus! The pic with Belle is so special. It's great to see the princesses interacting with the little ones

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #65
2kids2luv
Mouseketeer

Loving the pictures. Looking forward to more updates. Your daughter is adorable wearing her Belle dress.

2kids2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #66
crissy1974
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2luv View Post
Loving the pictures. Looking forward to more updates. Your daughter is adorable wearing her Belle dress.
We love Akershus too. Your daughter does look very CUTE in her Belle dress. It's the best character meal for a little girl. I think it would be nice if they would swap Belle out every now and then with another Princess. We have 2 years in a row worth of pictures of my daughter and Belle. This year we will add the third. I guess it's a nice way of seeing how she grows from one Disney trip to the next.

Sept. 1999 - Dixie Landings
Aug. 2008 - All Star Movies; Dec. 2009 - POFQ
Oct. 2010 - POFQ ; Nov. 2011 - POFQ
Nov./Dec. 2012 - CBR (unless I find opening for POFQ)

crissy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #67
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Aww, your daughter is a real little doll! It looks like she had a wonderful time with the princesses and that's what you really look for when attending these character meals. If the food is also enjoyable, it's a real bonus!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm really enjoying your reviews and am looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #68
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Subbing! We're planning our first trip with our son, who is three, and thinking about doing the deluxe plan. We did it last February for just my husband and I and it was a lot of food, but I think I might be into doing it again!

Your reviews are great and super helpful.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #69
RDP
DIS Veteran

Subscribing... Yum Yum
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #70
Lowillian
Mouseketeer

gilsan,
I just started reading your reviews. I think we were eating breakfast at Kona the same time you were! We had 0730 ARDs and had a waiter that wasn't that great. We were sitting on the left side of the restaurant as you walk in. We had just checked in the night before and this was our first meal.

Enjoying your reviews so far!
*Late 60s-71 - Several Day Trips to DL (I lived in SD) *Jan 1997 - Caribbean Beach (First Trip to WDW!) *Sep 1999 - Shades of Green Sep 2000 - Shades of Green Oct 2001 - Shades of Green/Polynesian *Sep 2002 - Polynesian Dec 2002 - Polynesian *Aug 2003 - Grand Californian (Honeymoon) *Apr 2004 - Polynesian *Oct 2004 - Polynesian *Apr 2005 - Polynesian *Jan 2006 -Animal Kingdom Lodge *May 2006 - Polynesian *Oct 2006 - Polynesian *Apr 2007 - Polynesian *Aug 2007 - Grand Floridian *Shades of Green Apr 2008*Aug 2008 - Polynesian*Jul 2009 - Wilderness Lodge*Apr 2010 - Polynesian *Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
Lowillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #71
4 DZNY NUTZ
DIS Veteran

Subscribing....Cant wait for more!!!

November 2014 -Disney Dream
February 2013 -POFQ & Disney Dream - Our First Cruise!!!
December 2011 - All Star Music - 2nd Honeymoon
November 2010 - All Star Sports
November 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
February 2008 - All Star Music
February 2007 - Pop Century
February 2006 - All Star Sports
March 2005 - Off Site
February 1994 - Off Site
June 1992 - Off Site
1972 thru 1982 - Off Site
4 DZNY NUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #72
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
princessallegra Terrific reviews! I love your style, and your family seems so great! I also want to tell you that you are partially responsible for my decision to upgrade us to the GF for the surprise birthday trip I'm planning for DH in November!! I think it's really cool that Ohana brought out a pineapple full of juice for your DD, and even cooler that they didn't charge you for it! We had basically the same experience as you, the food comes out fast, service is rushed but decent. LOVED the pics of Akershus! The pic with Belle is so special. It's great to see the princesses interacting with the little ones
Thanks! You are going to love GF!

Quote:
Lowillian I just started reading your reviews. I think we were eating breakfast at Kona the same time you were! We had 0730 ARDs and had a waiter that wasn't that great. We were sitting on the left side of the restaurant as you walk in. We had just checked in the night before and this was our first meal.
We were there on April 24 sitting on that side of the restaurant. Small world. There was another dining report on these boards and in their pictures of Crystal Palace my DH and DD were in the background!

Lowillian, princessallegra, 2kids2luv, crissy1974, MrsB1228, tinacaplan, RDP, 4 DZNY NUTZ thanks you all for your kind words and reading.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #73
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier

As I am sure you know Le Cellier is one of the toughest ADR’s to get. The last time we were at WDW we didn’t even consider Le Cellier. Being from Canada and as someone who rarely eats steak when dining out (I feel I do a good job cooking steak at home) it wasn’t a top pick.

This time when choosing ADR’s I thought I would try to get a reservation and see why it is so popular. I was able to get a spot at 6:45 PM. We spent the day wandering around World Showcase. DD hit every Kidcot spot, and had great time, she also enjoyed a Mango Smoothie. DH drank around the world and enjoyed the wine passport, saki from Japan and beer in England. I had strawberry margarita from Mexico. We also stopped in France and had a couple of snacks, chocolate cake and a strawberry tart from the Boulangerie Patisserie. Along the way we saw a few characters and had an all around relaxing day ending in Canada.

We checked in at the restaurant and were seated in the New Brunswick section within 10 minutes. The wait staff told us about some trivia about New Brunswick.

On a side note, I noticed in Canada that emphasis was trivia about Canada, the shop had boards posted with trivia questions about Canada, before the film the CM asked us, (all the people waiting for the film), trivia about Canada, and in the restaurant waitstaff talked about trivia about Canada. I don’t know if we (Canadians) really are testing people to see what they know about Canada, or if we are just a nation obsessed with trivia, After all it was Canadians that created Trivial Pursuits, and Alex Trebek is Canadian (you know I had to throw in some Trivia)

Le Cellier is a restaurant were you can get a smoothie or a shake as your beverage on the dining plan. I got a chocolate and raspberry shake that I did not like in the least.

DD got the Niagara Refresher which is a Mango smoothie, it was delicious I wished I had gotten it instead. It was more orange flavoured than mango and was really good. Dh had Perrier.

For appetizers I had the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. I didn’t love it. I thought the flavour was good but it was far to rich to eat an entire bowl of it. The pretzel bread was good with it and helped cut the richness but I only ate less than half the bowl. It reminded me of a cheese roux sauce that we use to make with a chicken dish.

DH had the Spicy Chicken and Chipotle Sausage. He loved it, I think that it was one of his favourite dishes on the trip. I don’t like sausages so I did not try it.

DD had french fries as an appetizer. They were thick cut fries and very good.

For my entree I had the Coffee-rubbed Kansas City strip. The menu didn’t list all the sizes of the steaks so I assumed that it would be about 8 ounces. When they brought it out it was huge. I like my steak rare and it was cooked perfectly. I loved the rub it gave and I thought the steak was excellent. I ate and ate and ate a then finally gave up on eating the whole thing. When our waiter came to take our plates he told me that it was a 14 ounce steak. No wonder I couldn’t finish. It came with hazelnut butter and cream cheese mashed potatoes that were a perfect complement.

DH had the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon with risotto. He thought it very tasty and was well prepared. Sorry the picture is blurry.

DD had the cheese pizza.

For dessert Dh and I both had the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake. It was very good and moist and not too chocolaty a good ending to the meal.

DD had the Ice Cream Sunday.

I really enjoyed our meal at Le Cellier. I thought the food was good and a good deal for one credit, the service was pretty good. My DH thought that restaurant could use a facelift, but we would definitely eat at Le Cellier again.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #74
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to our first meal at Le Cellier in October, we love Akershus and your DD is beautiful.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #75
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Wonderful review!!! Great photos. Your daughter is soooo cute.
Did you have to pay extra for the hamburger when you ate at Ohana (just wondering b/c we are on DxDDP on our next trip), I wanted to try Ohana but I'm worried if my son would eat the food and he does not eat chicken nuggets/fingers too and I read your review and Ohana provided Hamburger for your Daughter.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: