Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Any dining report that begins with Tim Horton's is going to be GREAT!
Can't wait...
Dec 2010 - CSR / Aug 2011 - RPR - Universal Orlando
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
oldhag
Mouseketeer

Your report is great - keep it coming.
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

fantastic start - subscribing

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for reading!

vinotinto as far as the changes we made to our original plans, at the beginning of the trip we had too many 3 meal days We were happier with 2 meals a day and had a snack either for breakfast or midday. As the trip went on we cancelled some reservations and did walk up or in room dining instead.

danielle.st, emmabemmainc I glad that we were not alone about the over cooked eggs. The breakfast potatoes were cooked. I did find that the breakfast buffets were hit and miss.

CanadianPaco Tim Horton's the only way to start any road trip!

princessallegra I got the idea for the photobook from someone else on the disboards it was great and I love making photobooks.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
slk537
Sigh...other than WDW, if I could actually live anywhere else, it would be at our SuperTarget
I can't sleep with the tag on top
I guess I have comforter issues!

I'm in! Can't wait to hear how you liked DDX!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We spent the afternoon at Animal Kingdom and saw some shows we missed last time, The Lion King and Flights of Wonder, and discovered our DD had easily made the 40inch mark and would be able to ride more things than last time.

Since we were staying at GF we decided to valet park the rental. It was convenient when we were dining at other hotels especially when we were tight for time. No hunting for a parking spot and than rushing through the parking lot to the restaurant. We returned to the hotel and found that our room was ready. I had requested an upper floor near the pool and both requests were fulfilled. I thought I would throw in some pictures of our room and view. The view was nice when wishes was on.

We changed and headed to the Boardwalk for dinner at the Flying Fish. We had eaten at the Flying Fish last time. I liked it a lot my DH was more on the fence about eating there.

We checked in for our 6:05 ADR on time and were seated within 5 minutes. We were celebrating our anniversary on the trip and were presented with personalized menus and offered complimentary champagne.

For our appetizers I had the Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura and Vegetable Sushi roll. It was good. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

My DH the Crispy Sesame and Togarashi scented Calamari. The last time we were here I had the Calamari and loved it, but I wanted to try something different. I think I would pick the Calamari as my favourite I love the flavour of the Asian dipping sauce.

DD had the fruit skewers with honey yogurt I don’t have a picture of them. She ate the strawberries and left the melon.

For our mains I had the Flying Fish Signature dish Potato Wrapped Red Snapper with Leek Fondue. I was not thrilled with this dish the red snapper was bland and the sauce was good but very rick and there were too many leeks. I had debated between this and the special of the day Tilapia and wished I had chosen it instead.

DH had the Smokey Citrus and Fragrant Pepper-spiced Yellowfin Tuna. It was delicious, he definitely had the better entree.

DD had the Mickey Pasta with Olive oil. She ate much of this on our last trip and enjoyed it again.

Both DH and I had a glass of the recommended entree wine with our meal.

For Dessert I had the Banana Napoleon it was very good.

DH had a trio of peach desserts that included a cobbler, a creme brulee, and a cake. Neither of us a creme brulee fans but it was very good and enjoyed the other desserts with the cake as the least favourite.

DD had a Mickey Puzzle that she enjoyed playing with I don’t think she ate much of it but it kept her busy.

Overall we enjoyed our meal at the Flying Fish, it wasn't as good as last year and would not be top pick, but if I could fit it into a schedule I would go back, (but I wouldn't get the signature dish again).

The cost not including wine or tip was $167.39.

After diner we walked on the boardwalk and stopped at the Boardwalk Bakery were I picked up a little Mickey head cake and DD picked a muffin. I used a snack credit for both. The Mickey head sat it the fridge for a couple days before we ate it and it was moist and very good I would definitely recommend. I don’t know if DD ever ate the muffin.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures

Last edited by gilsan; 05-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Here is a the menu from Flying Fish

Old 05-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #23
goldielocksraj
Anxiously awaiting deluxe birthday trip!

Thanks for the reviews so far! And I love your pictures, especially the ones of the hotel. Your view is to. die. for. !!!!

I love it whenever someone who had DxDDP writes reviews, hubby and I will be getting that for our December trip and I feel that the more reviews and opinions I read, the more we'll be able to utalize and enjoy our food! (Not to mention, reading other TR and FR is a good break from reality .

I've been waiting almost thirty years for this trip! December 2010 PTR

First property stay 1/1-1/2/2010 POP Century
goldielocksraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Kona Cafe

I made an early 7:30am reservation for Kona Cafe. My plan was to walk over from the Grand Floridian, have breakfast at Koan then walk over to the TTC and catch the monorail over to Epcot hopefully for rope drop. The walk over was easy the path wasn’t to busy and it only took about 5-10 minutes to make over there. We checked in a couple minutes late and had to wait a few minutes to be seated. Our server while friendly was not fantastic. He took a long time to make it over to our table and made the comment that he had been given two tables to look after. It didn’t fill me with confidence.

I ordered a pineapple juice and DH and I would “split” a Kona coffee French press pot. I don’t drink coffee so it was all DH. DH also ordered a glass of pineapple juice but was brought orange juice. It he decided it wasn’t worth the hassle of getting the waiter to correct the drink. DD also had pineapple juice.

For food I had to order Tonga Toast which I did enjoy with the strawberry sauce.

I talked DH into the Big Kahuna he thought it was all right but wished he had ordered something else more interesting. He original was going to order Tonga Toast, but I talked him into the Big Kahuna so I felt bad he didn’t love his meal.

DD had the Mickey Pancakes. She is not a morning person and did not eat much of her breakfast.

I did enjoy my breakfast, but I don’t know if I would go out of my way just to have breakfast at Kona. The food was good but the service was lacking. It took a long time to get our bill and then pay it so we were a little late for rope drop.

Cost not including tip $44.25.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Your pictures are so amazing.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #26
Gouden Leeuw
Mouseketeer

Your DD is the cutest!

Those are some insane pics!

Cant wait to read more.

Cheers
Gouden Leeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #27
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great Kona update, I am going to have to try the Tonga Toast at some point
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #28
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Your reviews and pictures are fantastic. I am so hungry for the calamari at Flying Fish right now.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
goldielocksraj
Anxiously awaiting deluxe birthday trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsan View Post
The food was good but the service was lacking. It took a long time to get our bill and then pay it so we were a little late for rope drop.
I completely agree-my sis and I went to Kona for a late breakfast one Sunday morning in February. Even though the restaurant was only about half full, service was extremely slow-but we saw one table where it was even slower than ours!!! So sorry that you missed rope drop-I hope that didn't spoil your morning?

I've been waiting almost thirty years for this trip! December 2010 PTR

First property stay 1/1-1/2/2010 POP Century
goldielocksraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Looks like a great line-up, and your pictures are beautiful!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: