Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

OK Pete, I'm ready for the E ticket app for Android

when can I have it? Went and paid for the HTC Incredible at lunch (they are shipping it, should have it next week.) Now I can get all those great Android apps they are shouting about. But I want my Eticket too. So, Pete, I'm sure you are all settled from getting back last night from the cruise (thank goodness he is in Florida and I'm in Pittsburgh, he can't hit me from there. Please don't ban me from the boards )

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
MelissaFromRI
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow , shining at the end of everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirurgeon View Post
when can I have it? Went and paid for the HTC Incredible at lunch (they are shipping it, should have it next week.) Now I can get all those great Android apps they are shouting about. But I want my Eticket too. So, Pete, I'm sure you are all settled from getting back last night from the cruise (thank goodness he is in Florida and I'm in Pittsburgh, he can't hit me from there. Please don't ban me from the boards )

Kim
Do let us know how you like the phone once you get it.
I'm a Verizon gal and I'm due for an upgrade next month. I've been eyeing the DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC
Old 05-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

I'm about 90 percent sure I'm getting the Incredible also. I'd love to hear all about it when you get it. Ohh....and yes....I'll need eticket also, although Verizon does have the mobile magic (think that will get him fired up?)

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
gkrykewy
TTA PeopleMover Fan Club President

More important is a version optimized for iPad now that I've rooted my android phone to tether my 3G connection to the iPad

gkrykewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I have the Motorola Droid from Verizon.. and I love it.. just need an eTicket app..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
simmons_m
Mouseketeer

Is there any negative to rooting an android phone to turn it into a hotspot for an iPad?
Also, how tough is it to do.
I have an incredible and love it so far.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

I love my Droid too. I'm surgically attached to it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
gkrykewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_m View Post
Is there any negative to rooting an android phone to turn it into a hotspot for an iPad?
Also, how tough is it to do.
I have an incredible and love it so far.
Is there a negative? No, not that I've experienced. It was a fairly cumbersome set of steps, but I can follow directions :

Here's the wiki with directions by phone model:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page

I don't see the Incredible on there yet; keep an eye out.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Verizon has on occasion found out when people have hacked their phones to tether, and sent pretty hefty phone bills to those users But that was with much older phones where the users weren't paying for any sort of data plan.

I'll have my droid soon as well, so any beta testing that may be necessary can be done
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
simmons_m
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
grumpy14
Mouseketeer

I have a droid and would love to be able to get E-ticket as well! Maybe if enough of us respond to this thread it would motivate Pete!!
grumpy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
Do let us know how you like the phone once you get it.
I'm a Verizon gal and I'm due for an upgrade next month. I've been eyeing the DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuck1998 View Post
I'm about 90 percent sure I'm getting the Incredible also. I'd love to hear all about it when you get it. Ohh....and yes....I'll need eticket also, although Verizon does have the mobile magic (think that will get him fired up?)
My co-worker just got this phone. She LOVES it.. I saw it the other day, very cool. I think you will be happy with it.

WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
gkrykewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Verizon has on occasion found out when people have hacked their phones to tether, and sent pretty hefty phone bills to those users But that was with much older phones where the users weren't paying for any sort of data plan.

I'll have my droid soon as well, so any beta testing that may be necessary can be done
Yeah, this is not an issue nowadays. Verizon even markets tethering as a feature for some of its Palm phones.

A quick google search indicates that there are instructions for rooting the droid elsewhere, just not in that wiki for whatever reason.

EDIT: oh, and for what it's worth, you can tether your data connection without rooting your phone if you download an app from the android market called PDANet. This allows tethering via USB or bluetooth, but will not turn your phone into a wifi hotspot. I think it's free to try, $10 for the full version.

Last edited by gkrykewy; 05-08-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post
Yeah, this is not an issue nowadays. Verizon even markets tethering as a feature for some of its Palm phones.
Right, but Verizon has been saying they will offer tethering on the Droid and Incredible (at least), but for an additional charge beyond the $30/month data plan you pay for the phone itself.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
gkrykewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Right, but Verizon has been saying they will offer tethering on the Droid and Incredible (at least), but for an additional charge beyond the $30/month data plan you pay for the phone itself.
That's fine, but when there's a legitimate tethering option already available on the android market which works well with the Droid (see above), they may have trouble charging more than 5 or 10 dollars/month.

Anyway, my point is that "getting caught" isn't an issue. In most cases, it's not even technically possible (google miwi for iPhone). Now if someone feels ethically obligated to their cell provider to pay twice for the same data stream, that's another issue

Actually here's a link that addresses the "getting caught" angle
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=864214

Last edited by gkrykewy; 05-08-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: