Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Can someone explain NetFlix streaming to me?

Ok, I'm not the most techno savvy person around. A friend said the show Fringe was great but I should watch it from the beginning. They said I could get it on streaming on NetFlix. So, can this happen if I pay the minimum fee of $8.99 a month? I looked on Hulu.com and they only have the last 5 episodes (but I did see a lot of old shows that I would love to watch again). I figure if I were able to watch a few episodes a month and anything else that struck my fancy on the streaming, it would be worth it. And trying to hook the blu ray up to the internet? How the heck do I do that? I know I can watch on the computer. Which might not be bad. I could just put the laptop right next to the treadmill and make myself go until the show is over. A 45 minute workout everyday. Not bad.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I am sorry I don't know anything about hooking up the blue ray. I either watch on our computer or through our Xbox.

It is great, and we get it with the smallest netflix plan. It is such an easy way to watch a series from the beginning and it fills up the time while waiting for my next DVD to come in the mail. I think you will love it! I have discovered so many great series this way.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

We stream through our playstation and wii...I also know you can do this on an xbox or if you buy a roku box or watch through your computer....not sure if you can just on your tv w/out one of these devices. We love netflix, thier steaming options are limited, but they are adding more and they have lots of tv show seasons which we love.

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

OK, you watch thru your gaming systems. How did you connect them to the internet? That is the part that confuses me. I use WiFi in the house.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

My blu ray player has an option wi-fi adapter for streaming. I would nevertheless suggest that you find a way to use the cat 5 (geek speak for the type of computer cable) from your wireless router to the video device (blu-ray, wii, xbox whatever). Odds are it will be faster, especially with HD episodes, and there won't be the risk of interference or conflicting channels from your neighbors wi-fi systems. I've heard the wi-fi devices have issues as well but have no personal experience with that.

I had a few issues getting my netflix working but it was not the devices fault. My router needed reseting a couple of times and a few setting on my blu ray needed adjusting before I could use netflix and still be on the Internet at the same time.

I'm primarily writing to say that the selection of old TV's shows you can stream is quite good. I've completely watched Lost (through season five, of course), the alien conspiracy episodes of X-Files and episodes of several other, lesser quality, series.

Many (if not all) Star Trek episodes are not available, last I checked. The movies are.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
We stream through our playstation and wii...I also know you can do this on an xbox or if you buy a roku box or watch through your computer....not sure if you can just on your tv w/out one of these devices. We love netflix, thier steaming options are limited, but they are adding more and they have lots of tv show seasons which we love.
You watch through your Wii? How?? How do the movies get to the Wii? can you tell I'm also not a techno-geek?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois View Post
You watch through your Wii? How?? How do the movies get to the Wii? can you tell I'm also not a techno-geek?
Nintendo has a walkthrough on getting the Wii connected to the Internet here: http://us.wii.com/connect/

There is a disc that Netflix can send you after you have an account entitled something like "Instant streaming disc for Wii". You keep this disc and use it in the Wii when you want to stream movies. There is an article discussing this here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20001397-1.html

I hope the links provide some useful information.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Wow - thanks!! who knew
Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Alztybrn
Was there life before TIVO?

I started streaming though my Wii a couple of weeks ago and love it. It is so easy provided you have wireless in your house.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
ragtopday
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirurgeon View Post
Ok, I'm not the most techno savvy person around. A friend said the show Fringe was great but I should watch it from the beginning. They said I could get it on streaming on NetFlix. So, can this happen if I pay the minimum fee of $8.99 a month? I looked on Hulu.com and they only have the last 5 episodes (but I did see a lot of old shows that I would love to watch again). I figure if I were able to watch a few episodes a month and anything else that struck my fancy on the streaming, it would be worth it. And trying to hook the blu ray up to the internet? How the heck do I do that? I know I can watch on the computer. Which might not be bad. I could just put the laptop right next to the treadmill and make myself go until the show is over. A 45 minute workout everyday. Not bad.

Kim
Unfortunately, Fringe is not available for streaming on Netflix - you'd have to get the disks sent home instead. However, a ton of other TV shows and movies (and maybe someday Fringe) are available for streaming as long as you have at least the $8.99/month plan (that's the one I have). I use my Wii for streaming, but you can also watch on your PC or Mac (as well as a host of other devices). If you have a Blu Ray player today, it has to be internet enabled - you can buy them that way, but if you'd had it awhile you'll probably have to buy a wireless adapter.

All Wii's are wireless enabled and it's really easy to set up. Someone else linked to some instructions - really very simple.

Good luck!

ragtopday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopday View Post
All Wii's are wireless enabled and it's really easy to set up. Someone else linked to some instructions - really very simple.

Good luck!
Glad to hear it's simple - I just ordered the disc from Netflix today, and my Wii is already authorized on the wireless network. I've watched streams on my laptop, but it would be great to view on a larger screen.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I just started doing this over the past couple of weeks with my Wii and the disc Netflix sent me (which I requested through the Netflix site). It's awesome! I have started to watch 24 ... sure, a little late but better than never

If you already have a Wii (or some other compatible wi-fi gaming system), I say that it's definitely worth it.
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Disney Dad Canada
Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and anyone else that will listen

All of these only work in the US. Typical. There ARE other countries out there, believe it or not.
Disney Dad Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad Canada View Post
All of these only work in the US. Typical. There ARE other countries out there, believe it or not.
Yeah, well... I had to wait until I was in Guelph last month to update my HNC app (which I originally downloaded here in NJ, by the by), and we weren't able to stream the Battle of the Blades shows, so it can work both ways. =)
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Miss Monorail 1971
Please Stand Clear of the Door

I just hooked up our wii this weekend to netflix but the quality isn't too good if you are pickey about that kinda stuff. It works well with our standard def tv's but the hdtv was grainy and the colors would bleed. So we went out and got a new Blue ray player that has a built in wi fi connection. Netflix is beautiful on it! I am now watching season 2 of the Tudors. I can only watch it late at night when DD is in bed. Don't want her seeing it! But she is really liking the Netflix thing because there are a ton of kids movies that we use to get at Blockbuster for $ .99. Blockbuster raised the price to $4.99 for 4 days and 1 dollar a day late fee. They just put themselves out of buisness. No wonder they are all closing.

Miss Monorail 1971 - Konni
Miss Monorail 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: