Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
pocuita
Earning My Ears

What kind of things do you bring for kids to do while waiting in-line?

Thought I would ask for tips on what small thing I could use to keep them busy. I have a almost two year, four year and six year old.

I bought two small containers of "flarp" that they can play with.

Also a little container of bubbles... figure if we are in line next to children they can have fun with it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Edited to add: The bubbles are not intended to be used around other people, just in a place away from adults/other guests.... unless of course other children want to join and it is okay with the parents. I should of made that more clear.

Last edited by pocuita; 05-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.
pocuita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
big_ol_lineman
spicy rocks
next to you ppl i look like a hobo

what about buying them a plush doll?

Annual Passholder
big_ol_lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

JUICE BOXES and SNACK PACKS. (I usually get the Disney-themed gummy treats.) Bring extra to rescue suffering parents around you!

We like to play I Spy.

I was thinking of making trivia cards but ran out of time. Things like "How many rides/attractions in WDW are there in which you ride on a boat?" and "How many characters can you think of that start with the letter C?" and "How many characters can you think of that wear blue?" There are tons of trivia books that can help you out with these sorts of questions. I have The Walt Disney World Trivia Book, Volume 1: Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic by Louis A. Mongello.

This is also a small, portable card game: http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Toys.../dp/B000W8JPMY but I'm all about not carrying a lot of extra stuff around with me.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
hlkeck
Mouseketeer

We talk to our kids. Ask them questions. Find out what they love about Disney and what they want to do again. Make plans for future disney trips. Some of my favorite memories are the funny and silly things the kids have said and done while in line...

of course, we go in september when the longest we wait is about 20 minutes...if i had a 2 hour wait - I'd probably bring something too!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
pocuita
Earning My Ears

Thanks for tips! Love them.

Of course, I will not pull these out until I have to.

Good idea to bring extra for children around you. My son is a big extrovert and would love to offer to share!
pocuita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
kvogel11202
Mouseketeer

Not to rain on anyones parade- but I would urge you not to bring bubbles- please consider that other people in line may not appreciate it. I for one have terrible allergies, and most brands of bubbles actually cause burns and welts on my skin. While trivia may be fun, and other things like that, you have a certain resonsibility to be considerate to those around you, and anything that would cause a lot of jumping around (banging into others) or infringes on their personal space is not a good plan. Long lines are rough with little ones, and I understand the urge to distract them, I always took the opportunity to talk to my kids- it was probably the best times we spent. To this day they remember our 45 minute wait for Peter Pan because they had a blast talking to us and each other! Last October we took my two year old niece, and while in lines we talked about characters, we talked about other rides....all kinds of things. It helped her be more comfortable with us (we don't see her a lot) and now our relationship is much better, and she actually smiles when we see her (it used to take a little warming up) .....
06- Ft Wilderness Scout Trip
06 - YC Concierge 07- All Star Sports (1st/LAST value resort stay!) 07- Beach Club 07- Yacht Club DS 12th Birthday 08- Saratoga Springs DVC 08 - DS 9th Birthday trip POFQ 08 POFQ- 09 Ft Wilderness w/ CAP Cadets 09 Treehouse Villas 10 Treehouse Villa 10 AKV 10 OKW
kvogel11202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Rachie0507
DIS Veteran
I'm used to blending in

I've never felt the need to bring anything to amuse my children. Why carry one more thing around all day? We talk about what we have done, what we will do next, etc. Disney does such a nice job theming that there is typically a lot to look at and talk about as well!
Rachie0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

I took along a travel size Magnadoodle. It had a clip so I could clip it to the outside of my backpack. I also took along a deck of Go Fish cards, but we were there in September and really didn't need them. But mostly we just chatted with everyone around us in line.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

My daughter and I watch lots of movies together, so we often play a game of "Who Am I?" One of us will share a fact about a movie character, the other will guess, and back and forth until we get it right. It's really fun watching the wheels turn in her head as she tries to remember the name of a really obscure side-character that she can try and fool me with.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie0507 View Post
I've never felt the need to bring anything to amuse my children. Why carry one more thing around all day? We talk about what we have done, what we will do next, etc. Disney does such a nice job theming that there is typically a lot to look at and talk about as well!
This is me too. I never bring anything, they amuse themselves and we talk, and there is lots to look at
we go during value season anyway usually november or january..........so I think the longest we waited for anything last january was 25 min for Test track, and there was lots to look at.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

I would never bring anything to keep my kids busy. we're at WDW, they can surely be patient enough to wait for a ride they want to go on. We just talk.
imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
ChrisM
Mouseketeer

Don't forget an air horn. A taser would be a good pick, too, but only for the 6 six year old.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
glk2009
Mouseketeer

Smile

We brought lots of stickers and our LO would have fun decorating us with stickers.

For the lines in darker rooms (like Haunted Mansion), we had glow bracelets, which were also awesome on the rides!

Have fun!
glk2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

We generally don't wait in lines ~ FP and rope drop are key to low waits.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Don't forget an air horn. A taser would be a good pick, too, but only for the 6 six year old.
You forgot light sabers. Nothing like a little swordplay when you are waiting to get on Dumbo. Jump rope is also a good game.

Seriously though- I never bring anything. We talk to them.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: