Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Craftsman Revival
Mouseketeer

U-G-L-Y, You Ain't Got No Alibi. Your Bedspread's Ugly.

So, in the midst of planning a Grand Gathering for Dec 2010, I've discovered something about myself: I HATE ugly bedspreads. No really, I hate them.

So how about a thread where we post our ugly bedspread photos, from both ON and OFFsite hotels? It could be fun, as well as informative and entertaining.

As I'm sure all of you do, I'm weighing every option when it comes to places to stay. We have received the 25/30/40% pin code (THANKS to people here on the Dis!).

So of course we are now going through the decision-making rigamarole and I've had to ask myself "What is a deal-breaker for you?"

My answer came a little too easily: ugly bedspreads.

I would rather pay $20 - $50 more per night than stay for a week in a room where I can't relax. And honestly, for some reason ugly bedspreads bug me. (And not many things do.)

Now, if we're staying at a budget resort, this doesn't bother me at all. But if I'm paying upwards of $125/night for a room? That's a different story.

Its almost like the resort is saying "Hey there, we know you're paying lots of money to stay here, but we can't be bothered to replace one of our least expensive items more often than once every 15-20 years. We'd rather be able to hide the occassional puke stain, rather than replace the blanket."

And in Florida, especially, some of the hotels and their bedspreads have never left the 1980s Miami Vice era. Now, I don't mind a Bird of Paradise motif every now and then, but where in the world do Birds of Paradise grow in 10 clashing colors?

So maybe we can all help each other out. I'll post some photos next. if possible, please do share your ugly bedspread photos and stories.

And if possible, name the resort and the year you stayed there. (Perhaps some of these places have recently redeemed themselves? Hmmmmm?)

This should be fun
Craftsman Revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
taylor91
DIS Veteran

Haven't got any photos unfortunately but would like to see what people have to offer...so subscribing
Itchy sheets annoy me... they can be bright yellow with big green spots, but if they are soft then all is good
but yeah... lets see
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Mrs.Prince
Mouseketeer

LOL....I read the title and I just bust out laughing....
Mrs.Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
weheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Prince View Post
LOL....I read the title and I just busted out laughing....
Me too! I had to come check this out just on the thread title alone! Sorry - no photos to post, but living in a resort area I know what you mean about some U-G-L-Y bedspreads!
Coronado Springs Resort (October 2012)

weheartdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
TurkA77
Mouseketeer

Considering what is found on bedspreads in hotels, they spend very little time on my bed. I usually ball it up on arrival and stuff it into the corner of the room. This way you dont have to worry whats on it, or what it looks like!
TurkA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Craftsman Revival
Mouseketeer

Shall We Start ON-Property?

Gonna start at the WDW resort properties.

I don't want to be too negative, so in laying out The Good, The Bad and The Just-Plain-Butt-Ugly, I'd like to start with The Good.

We are VERY impressed with the re-done rooms at CSR. They, of course, went beyond replacing the bedspreads, but even just a bedspread replacement (and keeping the old furniture) would have been a huge improvement.

BEFORE / AFTER

HUGE difference, right?

Now for The Bad. Sorry OKW-lovers, but I have to call it out. Remember that "Miami Vice" look we were talking about earlier?

Well...

He is wearing sunglasses. And NOT because he's cool, but to protect his eyes.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Craftsman Revival
Mouseketeer

And now...the Ugly

For the first Ugly, I'm taking us off property. Uh-huh, that's right Hotel Westgate Inn, I'm talkin' to you!

This doesn't really offend my sensibilities because this hotel does not charge Arm + Leg for a room.

But I had to include it for a few reasons:
  1. Its really, really ugly, and therefore funny
  2. The hotel uses this as a promo photo, which means they hired actors and everything. They think this is putting their best foot forward by putting this in their marketing materials.
  3. Right next to this photo on Venere, the site says "The hotel features 198 tastefully appointed guest rooms..."
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Craftsman Revival
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor91 View Post
Haven't got any photos unfortunately but would like to see what people have to offer...so subscribing
Itchy sheets annoy me... they can be bright yellow with big green spots, but if they are soft then all is good
but yeah... lets see
Yay My first subscriber ever. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Prince View Post
LOL....I read the title and I just bust out laughing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by weheartdisney View Post
Me too! I had to come check this out just on the thread title alone! Sorry - no photos to post, but living in a resort area I know what you mean about some U-G-L-Y bedspreads!
Glad to entertain - that's what this thread is all about!

And that reminds me - before anyone gets upset or thinks that I am "bashing Disney," nothing could be further from the truth. I was raised on Disney and love it, hence we are planning a trip to the other coast for this winter.

But I do think that ugly bedspreads are funny, and Lord knows Disney has had their fair share. And I also think that, if regular folks like us save up all year to go spend it with you, as a resort, you should fork over $20-$50 to buy nice bedspreads in bulk.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

My Wilderness Lodge trip isn't until August so no pics of my own, but those bedspreads must be added to the list. Yuck!! But the rest of the resort looks beautiful so I am still looking forward to it. Hmmm...may just through it in the corner...sounds like a plan. Hopefully somebody has a pic to back me up.
March 2004 Disneyland Hotel, March 2006 Port Orlean's Riverside, February 2008 POP Century, May/June 2009 Port Orlean's French Quarter, August 2010 Wilderness Lodge, February 2011 POP/Coronado Springs, December 2011 Port Orlean's Riverside, April 2013 Port Orlean's Riverside, June 2014 Port Orlean's Riverside
cherylsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
aggiegirl1234
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Thank you!

Oh my goodness, I'm SO glad someone has finally vocalized what I've been thinking for quite awhile now. Since the late nineties/early 2000s, it seems like hotels everywhere across the country have been updating their look, starting with their bedspreads (and what a good move that was). Like Westin with their "Heavenly Beds", Four Seasons beds, etc. Comfy white beds seem to have become the standard. Disney finally updated the CR in response I think a bit later, which makes sense since it's supposed to be contemporary I think Disney decided to do the same with CSR since it hosts so many business travelers at conventions who are used to nice bedding at hotels. I was surprised that it took them so long to update BWI and BC/YC's bedding since those are deluxes. And what about GF? Not to say that hotel bedding has to be white to be nice, but at least high threadcount and a solid color/minimally patterned. Flashy/bold decorative pillows can be used to finish the look (but bold and flashy should definitely be avoided in a bedspread) I'm really hoping the refurb at POFQ includes new bedding similar to CSR's.

OP, I'm just as picky about bedspreads. It was one of the reasons (along with a more modern look) why I picked CR over GF.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Ha ha! I'm the same way!!!
The OKW one is just ridiculous! That? Is one incredibly ugly bedspread!!!
My primary care physician was inquiring to which OB I wanted to be referred to. I prefer the care of a midwife, and there are two in our area. Both have birth centers (that I wouldn't use. I want the hospital and all the pain meds that go with it!) when she asked about one of them I said "No way! I looked online and they have the ugliest bedspreads I've ever seen! They look like bad hotel leftovers from the '70's!"
Of course other factors went into my decision, but the honest truth is the first thing I noticed about that place was the hideous bed spreads!
Silly as it is, that is one of the first things I look at when picking a hotel, the second is to make sure there are none of those rounded headboards (usually shiny black, white, or really light wood grain) with the gold trim! Ick!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Mme. Leota
Mouseketeer

Ha! I totally agree!! And it's not just the print, but that awful, quilted polyester. Ugh. It just feels terrible. Hate, hate, hate. I didn't do my research properly I guess because I booked POR, and the trundle will be nice, but I am now calling almost every day to try to switch to CSR because of the queen beds and the bedspreads. A CM told me to keep calling because as a convention hotel they have big blocks released when convention booking is done.
Mme. Leota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
of the seas
Of the ccccccccc
They have the best brownies
I'm trying to get people's opinion

Most of them are ugly on site--unless the rooms have been redone recently!

The ONLY ones I really like are:

The Contemporary
The Beach/Yacht Club
Coronado Springs
Boardwalk Inn

Here's a nice one at the Contempoary

Another nice one at the Boardwalk

And an ugly one at Wilderness Lodge

Contemporary CL and Boardwalk 2009

Wilderness Lodge 2008
of the seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

OP, I'm sooo like you!! I definitely go through room pictures to help determine whether or not I stay there. Even though I don't really use the comforter, its still like ummm really, you couldn't update just a bit? I have yet to stay at CBR but I've seen pics ( non refurbished rooms) and lets just say that I'd rather not stay in a room that a flamingo exploded in.

Actually, I don't even really like the Nemo theme bedspread.

*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedspreads, offsite, onsite, resorts, ugly

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: