Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Tablefor5
Mouseketeer

I flowers and gardening.
I Disnelyand.
How wonderful this thread is! I LOVE those Rock-n-Roll roses, hmmm I do have some more areas that need planting...
I am always pointing-out beautiful/unique flowers to my kids, my DH used to think it was silly that I would stop to examine a flower...15yrs later he now points them out to me
FUN thread!

My girls and me meet Jack & Sally
Tablefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Mister Toad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Okay, what setting did you use and what kind of camera do you have?
x2 - I wonder if my camera can do that.
Hong Kong Disneyland - January 2012
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - February 2012
Mister Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
DLovinFam
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing!

The last couple of trips to Disneyland, I have taken the time to "stop and smell the roses". I plan to do that again this trip.

I love going in spring when those trees with the beautiful purple/bluish flowers are in bloom. The first time I went in May was a couple of years ago and those trees were amazing! I can't wait to see them again! Oh, and the cactus that was in bloom in DCA! I hope we aren't too early to see those in bloom because last time we were there at the end of May.

I'm not sure how to add pics, or I'd share.

DLovinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Thanks for the correction! They are very beautiful, and I would love to plant some, until I found out they were deadly!
Did you read about the plantings in Tomorrowland? I've heard it is all planted with edible plants. I was wondering if this is till true?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Did you read about the plantings in Tomorrowland? I've heard it is all planted with edible plants. I was wondering if this is till true?
Oh yes!! You've never seeing them, Skiingfast? All the TL plants, trees or vegetation are either vegetables, fruits or herbs of some sort! It's amazing - but it is one of those magic things about DL that people probably overlook repeatedly because they are rushing to and fro to get to wherever. There are lemons. There is parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. There is something that looks like cabbage. Some of them are more obvious and others are a bit rare. There are many more planters and trees around than I had realized. Once I started to notice them I felt like Columbus, discovering America!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-05-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

This is why I LOVE DLR, and why it is so magical. The gardens really speak to me.

I also have the Disneyland Roses which bring a smile to my face. Only problem is, the aphids and disease love to attack them and I only wish I could make them as beautiful as the ones in DL. They have a large circle of them in Toon Town.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
DLovinFam
Mouseketeer

Okay, I figured out how to post pics.....

These 3 photos were taken in late May of 2008. The first one was taken in DCA.

Downtown Disney (I think)

Self-explanatory

DLovinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
Mom2micayla
DIS Veteran

The roses outside of Alice are awesome!

I love plants and flowers (and DLR ) too. I have a ton of photos on the other computer, but did find one from DLR on my laptop.

Mom2micayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
ceezers
Earning My Ears

The foxglove is beautiful. I actually have some in my garden. The real name is Digitalis (sp?) and they make a very popular heart medication, Digoxin from it.
ceezers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Oh yes!! You've never seeing them, Skiingfast? All the TL plants, trees or vegetation are either vegetables, fruits or herbs of some sort! It's amazing - but it is one of those magic things about DL that people probably overlook repeatedly because they are rushing to and fro to get to wherever. There are lemons. There is parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. There is something that looks like cabbage. Some of them are more obvious and others are a bit rare. There are many more planters and trees around than I had realized. Once I started to notice them I felt like Columbus, discovering America!!
I have, I've noticed the citrus trees and strawberries in a planter. But that was while I was in line for rocket rods. But my more recent couple trips, I guess you could say I didn't take the time to smell the roses.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Okay, what setting did you use and what kind of camera do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Toad View Post
x2 - I wonder if my camera can do that.
It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...

I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Love the purple flowering trees. I've never heard of (or noticed) the edibles in Tomorrowland. I guess I do remember seeing some fruits once but they looked too big and round to be lemons. I'll have to find a pic and put it up.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

I think the purple flowering trees are called jacaranda?? DH and I noticed them last July when we went to DLR for his birthday trip. They are soooo beautiful.

But, they don't grow where we live - guess we'll just have to enjoy them in CA.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
I have, I've noticed the citrus trees and strawberries in a planter. But that was while I was in line for rocket rods. But my more recent couple trips, I guess you could say I didn't take the time to smell the roses.
I haven't seen all of the plants & trees yet either. Some of them are hard to see unless you are standing in a line for something or unless you are intentionally going up and staring at each bit of green you encounter. In fact, I don't think I saw the strawberries! These fruits/veggies/herbs even extend to the planters by the TL bathrooms near the exit to Space Mountain. They are really everywhere in TL - it's so interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...

I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Love the purple flowering trees. I've never heard of (or noticed) the edibles in Tomorrowland. I guess I do remember seeing some fruits once but they looked too big and round to be lemons. I'll have to find a pic and put it up.
There is or was a lemon tree at one point (though I forget where I saw them in TL, but I think it may have been in a line or right next to a line for a ride somewhere), but then there is another citrus-y tree sort of on the edge of TL, just as you are about to head back out onto Main Street. That fruit is larger than lemons, but they didn't quite appear to be oranges either. Not sure what the heck it was!!

Okay, my camera is a Canon PowerShot SD880 IS - so you mean my camera probably does that neat effect that yours does too? Do I know how to find that feature on my camera? Uh...no. Do I know where anything is in that confusing tome of a manual for the camera? Uh...no. Do I know how to turn off the flash? Uh...barely. Am I lucky that I can even figure out how to point & shoot? Yes!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #29
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
There is or was a lemon tree at one point (though I forget where I saw them in TL, but I think it may have been in a line or right next to a line for a ride somewhere), but then there is another citrus-y tree sort of on the edge of TL, just as you are about to head back out onto Main Street. That fruit is larger than lemons, but they didn't quite appear to be oranges either. Not sure what the heck it was!!

Yes, this is what I'm talking about!

I was wondering if people ever just help themselves to a little snack?

Okay, my camera is a Canon PowerShot SD880 IS - so you mean my camera probably does that neat effect that yours does too? Do I know how to find that feature on my camera? Uh...no. Do I know where anything is in that confusing tome of a manual for the camera? Uh...no. Do I know how to turn off the flash? Uh...barely. Am I lucky that I can even figure out how to point & shoot? Yes!!!
LOL! When I pulled out my manual today to see what the function was called I started reading about that nifty feature and then closed after a few seconds. It was just a little too technical for me to keep my interest. Way more confusing than when my husband said, "Push this button and then this button and you're good."

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
tink929
Mouseketeer

Here are a couple of the Tomorrowland edible landscaping:

Peppers:

I think this is a baby persimmon. I don't know for sure though:

WDW - 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (honeymoon!)
DLR - 12/07, 10/08, 09/09, 05/10, 08/10 (daytrip), 09/10
tink929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: