Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #31
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
Great update!

Love the AK photos. I don't kow how I missed that update. Groan about the two giraffes though - you got me. I was looking and looking....

That Saturday (your day 3) was a perfect waterpark day. We might have had more fun if we'd left when you did and hung out at our pool all day. Oh well - now we know!
Thanks! But you can't blame me for the Giraffe comment - our Safari Guide said it, not me!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - La NOUBA

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but DD had wanted to see La Nouba since it was on the top 7 must sees. Well, it's kind of expensive for us to see it...but I ended up winning a Football square for the Super Bowl. I won $250, which would almost exactly cover the price for the 3 of us....so I suggested to DW we do it this trip. She was cool with it, so we bought tickets for tonight.

This was a surprise within a surprise...we only told DD about it at lunch time. She was excited! We left the hotel about 4:50 PM to make the 6 PM show. We had no incidents on the trip. But, I do have to wonder, why have they closed the West End bus stop, but the Pleasure Island bus stop - which is closed - is still open. I try to avoid DTD completely, because my depression at the loss of the Adventure's Club rises to the top of my brain, but I can't believe how there are still signs all over for Pleasure Island...and every trip we talk to many people that don't even realize PI is closed. Good job on this one Disney!

Anyways, what did we think of the show? We had never seen a Cirque De Soliel show...but it was pretty much was I expected. (No pictures of course.) It was essentially circus performers as part of a very arty stage show. I was unimpressed by the arty part (what was the point exactly of having groups of people march across the stage?). My wife was equally unimpressed, kept asking me what the plot was supposed to be...I said "Maybe it's supposed to be a dream? I don't know, I don't think it really matters."

Now, the circus acts were all universally impressive. There were some quite amazing tricks being done by each act, and most were just the right length that as you've seen enough, the show moved to the next thing. Most impressive were the little Asian girls with the spinning wheels, the tight rope artists, and the whole tumbling routine at the end.

DD liked it a lot, though spent much of the night with her ears covered as it was very loud. (We were sitting Tier 2 which was about 13 rows from the stage...the theater was only about 1/2 full anyways.)

Overall, I was glad that we saw it...but I don't think I would rush back to see it again. In fact, we are going to be in Vegas in August for a few days (traveling elsewhere), and were thinking about seeing a show, but we feel we definitely do NOT want to see another Cirque show.

After the show, we went back to the hotel and headed for bed.

Coming up next - Flower and Garden @ Epcot...and apparently no matter how short the trip is, we can't HELP but have a bad day!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #33
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I have never been to either of the Disney waterparks, but they look like so much fun! I started having problems with ear infections in my late teens, so I really don't do the whole swimming/water slides thing much anyway. But I might be convinced to put in some ear plugs to try one of the Disney parks.

I'm sorry y'all didn't enjoy La Nouba! I am a huge fan of Cirque shows, and really wanted to see La Nouba the past couple of times we have been to Disney, but didn't have the time to do it. I think because it is in Disney, this show is a little more kid-friendly and less dramatic than the other shows. We saw Mystere in Vegas and loved it. I have also heard that O, which is in the water, is pretty amazing. Not sure if DD is going with you to Vegas, but you and DW might enjoy a show more geared to adults. But there are so many different shows in Vegas, there is something for everyone! I recommend Penn & Teller, and if you do take DD (or even if you don't!), Mac King does a great daytime magic/comedy show that is great for adults and kids (he tells some jokes that go over the kids' heads for the adults, but keeps it totally kid friendly!).

Great updates!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I have never been to either of the Disney waterparks, but they look like so much fun! I started having problems with ear infections in my late teens, so I really don't do the whole swimming/water slides thing much anyway. But I might be convinced to put in some ear plugs to try one of the Disney parks.

I'm sorry y'all didn't enjoy La Nouba! I am a huge fan of Cirque shows, and really wanted to see La Nouba the past couple of times we have been to Disney, but didn't have the time to do it. I think because it is in Disney, this show is a little more kid-friendly and less dramatic than the other shows. We saw Mystere in Vegas and loved it. I have also heard that O, which is in the water, is pretty amazing. Not sure if DD is going with you to Vegas, but you and DW might enjoy a show more geared to adults. But there are so many different shows in Vegas, there is something for everyone! I recommend Penn & Teller, and if you do take DD (or even if you don't!), Mac King does a great daytime magic/comedy show that is great for adults and kids (he tells some jokes that go over the kids' heads for the adults, but keeps it totally kid friendly!).

Great updates!
The water parks are definitely worth a go!

I didn't say I didn't like La Nouba, we enjoyed it very much and thought it was worth the money....I'm just saying from my perspective it wasn't a "Can't wait to do that again!" thing.

Actually, thanks for mentioning Penn and Teller. That would be a show I'd love to see. We won't have DD for the one night we are going to a show in Vegas. I asked DW, and she was interested in seeing a magic act. I think Penn and Teller would qualify, plus I think they are hilarious.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #35
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Epcot for Flower and Garden - Part 1

Before I get into today, I need to give a preface about DD. Much like her mom and dad, DD is not a "high-energy" kid. Not that she won't run around or anything - she loves to swim and can swim for hours - but she can't go,go, go as much as a lot of kids can. She was always a kid that had no problem sleeping a lot, and even now, at age 7, needs a solid 10 hours of sleep a night on a regular basis.

In addition, she is a pretty stubborn kid, and she gets REALLY strong-willed when she gets tired. When she's like that, and you want to do something she doesn't want to do, she flat out refuses. In addition, when she gets tired, she cries a lot, breaking down over the littlest things.

This is a combination which frequently leads to bad days, especially on a Disney trip - every trip we've ever taken has led to at least ONE bad day. We've learned over the years that we should have some decompress days during the trip, and since we are rope-droppers, we try to avoid the late nights.

Well, because this was a very compressed trip - only 4 full days - we really couldn't take a day off, so really we tried to focus on not staying out too late. However, I had a feeling if we were going to have a bad day...it was going to be this one. Saturday we got up extra early for TSMM (tiring) we spent the day at the water park (tiring) and then because of La Nouba, didn't really get to bed until after 9 PM. (Triple-tired whammy!)

For being rope drop people, the one park I don't mind coming into a bit late is Epcot. Since we don't ride Mission:Space and she didn't want to ride Test Track this year, only Soarin' would require FP....so even getting to the park at 10 AM would be fine. However, for whatever reason...DD decided not to really sleep in, waking up at 7:30 AM, so though we didn't rush to get to the park, we got there about 9:15 AM.

It was time of year for Flower and Garden festival. We had only been once at this time of year, in 1997. I am NOT into Gardening...in fact, I actively HATE anything to do with lawn and garden care. So, while I enjoyed looking at the flower beds and topiaries. DW on the other hand enjoys gardening so she was pretty interested in looking around for this. DD of course could care less, but did like the play areas and the butterfly garden.

Another side bar: The topiaries here stir memories of childhood. Back when WDW was the Magic Kingdom, there used to be topiaries all over the grounds outside the park - they weren't the fancy topiaries you see here during F&G, but there were A LOT OF THEM as I recall...not in the park, but as you rode in on the Monorail, and around the resorts. It's interesting that these are no more, and other than the set that's always at the entrance of EPCOT, the only time you really see them is for F&G.

Back to our day: things started out well enough...we got into the park, and them first topiaries were for the Lion King, right behind Spaceship Earth:

Some Giraffes:

Mufasa:

Rafiki & Baby Simba - as well as Mufasa and Serabe on either side (harder to see):

Timon with a plate of bugs (somehow I missed Pumba):

I often think about the jobs at Disney World, and how an awful lot of them -while seemingly fun - when you think doing them day in and day out are pretty crappy. But, I would guess that the people that work on designing and creating these displays must TOTALLY love their job. I mean, you would only go into that job if you have an interest in horticulture - and to be able to work with plants and design and grow these amazing scuptures must be pretty cool.

Well, DD has been pretty anti-character this trip - but she ALWAYS want to see Mickey and the Gang at the Epcot Character Spot. I think she likes watching the old cartoons while standing in line. I admit, it's great to see those old Disney shorts. We have a few DVDs at home, but we always seem to catch the one where Mickey, Goofy and Donald are building a boat (the "SS Minnie"). Warner Brothers gets a lot of credit nowadays for the brilliant work they did at Termite Terrace with Bugs Bunny, Daffy and the gang - and rightly so - but if you ever get a chance, pick up some of these old collections of cartoons from Disney shorts heyday ('30s through the '50s) and there is some real genius squeezed into those 8 minute gems.

She had drawn pictures of Mickey and Minnie Mouse in her book, and the other day at DHS she had picked out a pen in the shape of Pluto. All the characters really responded to this well. She got such a kick...especially Pluto kept licking her...

Once that was over with, we headed to her favorite thing in Disney World - "The Seas with Nemo and Friends". We decided that I would go get FP for Soarin', and they would ride the Nemo ride. I would then meet them inside the Seas pavillion.

This went smooth...but the day sort of went downhill from there...up next...The "NO"-Bird arrives!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #36
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I've only seen La Nouba once myself. I really enjoyed it alot, but like you have felt no huge rush to re-see it. Maybe if it wasn't quite so expensive, but as it is I feel like I've seen it, it was really good, and that's it. In Vegas my parents though swear by the Cirque show called "O" or maybe it's "Eau". (Not sure as I haven't seen it myself). My mother says it's the best show she's ever seen. Everything in it has something to do with water. I've heard from other people too that it's great. If I ever make it out to Vegas maybe I'll have to check it out.

You know the No-Bird is never too far away!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #37
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I've only seen La Nouba once myself. I really enjoyed it alot, but like you have felt no huge rush to re-see it. Maybe if it wasn't quite so expensive, but as it is I feel like I've seen it, it was really good, and that's it. In Vegas my parents though swear by the Cirque show called "O" or maybe it's "Eau". (Not sure as I haven't seen it myself). My mother says it's the best show she's ever seen. Everything in it has something to do with water. I've heard from other people too that it's great. If I ever make it out to Vegas maybe I'll have to check it out.

You know the No-Bird is never too far away!
Yeah, "O" or "Love" would be the two I would want to see out there,(I'm a Huge Beatles fan.) but not this trip...not that we get out to Vegas a lot, this will be our 2nd time, and the last was in 2003 when DW was pregnant.

Yup, we love our little "no-bird"...even if we want to strangle her sometimes.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #38
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 2 -Epcot and the "No-Bird"

So, when we left off we were visiting the Seas, DD favorite thing at all of Disney World. She rode the ride, then went and looked at the small fish tanks, and went to see Bruce's shark display. DW got in on the picture act:

DW doing her best "Quint" impersenation:

Well, with that, DD was done with the seas...didn't want to see Crush or the big tank of fish. On the way out, she picked out a "Crush" stuffed animal, and a Nemo coloring set...she started coloring as soon as we reached the stroller. (Yes, if I didn't mention it already, we still use a stroller to push her around the park...makes our lives easier - so sue us.)

Well, we normally spend 90 minutes in The Seas, but were done in 30...we had expected to be able to go and ride Soarin', but our FP return time wasn't ready. We decide to head for the imagination pavillion and the Figment ride. Can't say I hate this as much as many people do...many lament the original ride, I think they've all been pretty lousy...It's fascinating that a group called "Imagineering" have never been able to demostrate imagination successfully.

We then went to see "Honey I Shrunk the Audience". This was where the "No-Bird" came out in full force! "I Don't wanna see this! IT's too scary!" Now, she had no idea what the movie was yet, we explained it too her. In the end, she didn't mind it too much, and kind of liked at the end when the dog sneezed on us. But, she was now in full-on foul mood. We left the pavillion to head to the Land. And guess what...she did NOT want to ride Soarin'!

So we agreed, we would ride Living with the Land first, which she likes a lot. A pleasant diversion but once a trip is enough. I had some fun joking with DW during the early parts when you are riding through the rainforest...I made jongle cruise jokes..."Look - those butterflies can reach anywhere from 12 inches to a whopping 1 foot!" When passing the crocodiles "There's smiley - he's always looking for a handout." There's also some real fun hidden (and not so hidden) mickey's on this ride.

It was time for lunch...and the no-bird was out in full force:
"Should we do Soarin?"
"NO!"
"How about Test Track"
"NO!"
"Spaceship Earth?"
"NO!"
"How about we just go back to our room and take a nap?"
"OK!"

Well, here's the good newe...we've travelled to WDW enough times with DD to know this behaviour was coming, and we had very low expectations for what we were doing this trip....so I said to DW...fine, I'll take her back for a nap, and you can wander around and check out the Flower and Garden festival. Well, DW knew there was a few things DD would really like - the play area, the butterfly pavillion - and she DID want to do a Kim Possible mission before returning to the hotel, so instead of heading right out of the park, we went towards WS....there was a Fantasia topiaries and a play area.

DD on the "jungle gym".

While there, we had what I guess I would call a Magical Moment. DD wanted a popsicle as she was getting hot. The day was a bit grey and breezy, but still warm. Well, there was a ice cream cart nearby, and the vendor asked what she wanted...when she got the popsicle...he said "No Charge - Happy Birthday" DD was wearing her Birthday Button. For all the neat stuff I got when I wore my Birthday Button, this was the first true "freebie" where it would have otherwise cost us money. Thank you kind Cast Member!

DW went and browsed the F&G shops, and when she was done, we headed to Norway for our Kim Possible mission. DD and I did the mission, which was fun as usual but seemed unusually long. DW wandered around the shops a bit. The finish item of the KP was actually broken, a true rarity at Disney. I asked DD if she wanted to do another, nope, she just wanted to go back to the hotel.

So, we left DW, and headed through Tink's garden and the butterfly pavillion before returning to our resort.

Meanwhile, DW spent the afternoon wandering around WS and also headed over to DTD for a while. She took some more pictures of the topiraries:

Mickey and Minnie's Garden:

More to come...

Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #39
JLR
DIS Veteran

I was going to multiquote you and just cut out all the photos - but decided just to do a normal reply. This is in reply to La Nouba and Bad Epcot part one and two.

I considered going to the Cirque show, but I decided not to for several reasons. I find Cirque interesting .... for about 20 minutes then I'm done. It is way too expensive for that. The other thing is that there were so many other things I was trying to cram into this trip that it just didn't make the cut. Listening to your description - even though you liked it - I know there is not anything else I would have wanted to take out to do it. The other thins is that it was late at night.

I agree about kids needing sleep. I have found that if I keep my kids well rested and well fed, I have little or no problems with them. This was particularly true for Madeline. Now, she is finally at an age where I can push the envelope a little with her, but I didn't want to push it too far. I don;t think your child is unique in needing at least 10 hours a night. Most kids need appropxiamtely 12 hours through the first grade then slowly declining, but even teenagers function better (mood and academically) if they get at least 10 hours a night.

I hope y'all got to use your Soarin' FPs.

Thank you so much for getting all those topiary shots. I am sorry I didn't get to really appreciate those at the F & G festival. I wish I had gone to Epcot on Saturday instead of DHS! Live and learn!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #40
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
I was going to multiquote you and just cut out all the photos - but decided just to do a normal reply. This is in reply to La Nouba and Bad Epcot part one and two.

I considered going to the Cirque show, but I decided not to for several reasons. I find Cirque interesting .... for about 20 minutes then I'm done. It is way too expensive for that. The other thing is that there were so many other things I was trying to cram into this trip that it just didn't make the cut. Listening to your description - even though you liked it - I know there is not anything else I would have wanted to take out to do it. The other thins is that it was late at night.

I agree about kids needing sleep. I have found that if I keep my kids well rested and well fed, I have little or no problems with them. This was particularly true for Madeline. Now, she is finally at an age where I can push the envelope a little with her, but I didn't want to push it too far. I don;t think your child is unique in needing at least 10 hours a night. Most kids need appropxiamtely 12 hours through the first grade then slowly declining, but even teenagers function better (mood and academically) if they get at least 10 hours a night.

I hope y'all got to use your Soarin' FPs.

Thank you so much for getting all those topiary shots. I am sorry I didn't get to really appreciate those at the F & G festival. I wish I had gone to Epcot on Saturday instead of DHS! Live and learn!
I would never recommend La Nouba to a first timer...there is so much more unique to see and do there. And if you've seen Cirque shows before and were kinda meh towards them...I wouldn't even bother. I would rather spend that money on a water park - or more like two water parks.

I wanted to finish Epcot day yesterday, but I wrote part of the post and accidently closed it....however, I'll give you a preview...we never did get back to Soarin'. I am only sorry that we didn't give away the FP, that's what I usually do...even though when you try to give away FP, a lot of people look at you like you have two heads. I don't mind missing Soarin' since I both love it and hate it. I really enjoy the ride in concept...but I have a phobia of heights (well really of falling)...and so I ride Soarin' with a death grip on the seat, and I never really fully relax and enjoy it. DW gets motion sickness so closes her eyes for half of it....again we figured we rode it just 4 months prior and will be riding it again in October....so I missed quite a few of my favorites and didn't sweat it.

Actually, the one ride I was sort of sorry I skipped was Tower of Terror...but seeing as we only had about 4 hours in that park, I didn't really see how we would pull it off.

Oh well, I will try and wrap up Epcot shortly.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #41
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

The pictures of the topiaries are just beautiful. I missed most of them when I was there in March, as I needed to run off for a bit of alone time and went over to DHS by myself for awhile. The trip was so short I never really made it back over to explore most of Epcot.

Sorry about the No-Bird. I've been lucky with my nieces that they never really get too bad. My brother has a rule with them that they need to try something (ride, food, etc.) at least once and if they hate it they don't have to try it again. Usually they are good with this, but the biggest problem is usually food and my older niece. Ugh! Seriously it's just painful to watch her eat. I've never seen anyone take so long to eat the simplest things. Rides and stuff though they are usually pretty game to try. My younger niece will do just about anything, and as far as I can tell the older one really only likes to avoid ToT, although she's not a huge fan of the 3d films.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Sorry about the No-Bird. I've been lucky with my nieces that they never really get too bad. My brother has a rule with them that they need to try something (ride, food, etc.) at least once and if they hate it they don't have to try it again. Usually they are good with this, but the biggest problem is usually food and my older niece.
ACtually, the problem is...she's tried many of these rides...she's LIKED them...yet then next trip refuses to ride them. I have video of her coming off Test Track saying: "That was awesome! It went like this and this!" etc..but then she goes back, and she doesn't want to do it. Grrrrr....drives us nuts.

As far as food, I think she is on the less picky side of most kids. She'll eat most grains and fruits, will eat several vegatables if prepared blandy, and even eats some meats. (Hamburgers, chicken.) She's pretty adventurous...but not at Disney World!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #43
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Not much accomplished!

So, when we last left the TR, DD and I had returned to our room, leaving DW time to explore F&G and DTD. We made it back to the room about 3 PM, and I read DD a few stories and told her she had to close her eyes for at least 30 minutes...if she didn't fall asleep after that, she could get up and color or read. Well, she fell asleep pretty darn quick, within about 10 minutes. And she slept for almost 2 hours! In fact, I had quite a hard time getting her to wake up! When she finally did, she wanted to go for a swim. We had a little time before we needed to meet DW, so we went to the pool for 1/2 an hour, then came back and changed to head back to Epcot.

Good Bus Karma again, we didn't wait 5 minutes for the bus to show. On the ride, we could see clouds forming to the West...uh oh. I tried calling DW several times on the ride over, and even once we got into the park, and of course she didn't answer. (She's terrible about answering her cell phone.)

I asked DD as we passed SSE if she wanted to ride...it was about 6:45 PM, and she wanted to do another KP Mission. Unfortunately, the KP Station where you sign up was closed. DW finally called us back, and we met on the way to Mexico. We could see the storm coming as we went into the Pavillion, and after we rode Rio Del Tempo...or whatever its called now...we came out to an obvious "storms a coming" situation, so we decided to get some food. We decided to try the Orange Blossom Cafe in the China Pavillion. We got an order of Egg Rolls for DD (she likes Egg Rolls and Lo Mein, but they didn't have the latter.) I had the Shrimp Fried Rice and DW had the vegatable stir fry, and we also had an order of pot stickers - which turned into two orders.

By the time we were seated the rains came - and it deluged! The area is well-covered but open-air seating, and we were a good 20 feet from a window, but it was raining so hard we could feel the rain from where we sat. We pretty much knew (A) we were staying here until this passed and (B) we probably weren't staying for Illuminations.

The food, by the way, was OK, I would say average Chinese Take-out. A bit dissapointing for China...i hate it when places like this cater to what tourists think lf "Chinese" food. I would wonder if the TS restaurant was better. We should have been across the lagoon in England with JLR and her DD! (Shout-out!)

When the rain finally let up, it was about 8:15 PM, and we decided to call it. There was a TON of lightning around, and though when I asked a CM if Illuminations was still on I was told "Yes!" I wasn't relishing sticking around here for an hour. We pushed our way to the front and got on a bus.

BTW, DD was much better after her nap...So, we managed to do "The Seas", "The Land" (but not Soarin'), "Imagination". One KP mission and the Rio Del Tempo...all in a single day, who hoo!

Actually, again, I didn't mind that much...getting DD a bit of rest was more important, because we couldn't have her wiped out for our last day. Getting through MK in a single day would be pretty hard core.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #44
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 5 Preview

I don't really have time to write up Day 5 right now...but when I got home, i wrote out a quick note to remind myself what we did that day. Our MK days are usually pretty hard core anyways, and having only one day made it twice as bad. Here's the note I wrote - I thought my fellow DIS'rs might get a kick out of what we accomplished in a single day at MK:
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Itís a Small World
Winnie the Pooh
Barnstormer (2X)
Mickey and Minnieís Houses
Donaldís Boat
WDW RR
BTMRR
Jungle Cruise
PotC
Columbia Harbor House (Lunch)
Haunted Mansion (Me) / Itís a Small World (DD/DW)
Haunted Mansion (DW)
Splash Mountain (FP)
Peter Pan (FP)
Buzz Lightyear (FP)
TTA
Dream along with Mickey (Castle Show)
The Plaza (Dinner & Ice Cream)
TTA
Carousel of Progress
Buzz Lightyear (FP)
Jungle Cruise (FP)
PotC
Spectromagic.

We also had Space Mountain FP that we didnít end up using, not because we didn't have time, but we just decided not to bother because it was down BOTH times we rode the TTA and didn't want to risk it. Believe it or not, that was NOT a rushed pace, we really took our time, but didn't wait more than 5 minutes for anything. I will share more details and picture in a bit.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #45
JLR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
So, when we last left the TR, DD and I had returned to our room, leaving DW time to explore F&G and DTD. We made it back to the room about 3 PM, and I read DD a few stories and told her she had to close her eyes for at least 30 minutes...if she didn't fall asleep after that, she could get up and color or read. Well, she fell asleep pretty darn quick, within about 10 minutes. And she slept for almost 2 hours! In fact, I had quite a hard time getting her to wake up! When she finally did, she wanted to go for a swim. We had a little time before we needed to meet DW, so we went to the pool for 1/2 an hour, then came back and changed to head back to Epcot.

Good Bus Karma again, we didn't wait 5 minutes for the bus to show. On the ride, we could see clouds forming to the West...uh oh. I tried calling DW several times on the ride over, and even once we got into the park, and of course she didn't answer. (She's terrible about answering her cell phone.)

I asked DD as we passed SSE if she wanted to ride...it was about 6:45 PM, and she wanted to do another KP Mission. Unfortunately, the KP Station where you sign up was closed. DW finally called us back, and we met on the way to Mexico. We could see the storm coming as we went into the Pavillion, and after we rode Rio Del Tempo...or whatever its called now...we came out to an obvious "storms a coming" situation, so we decided to get some food. We decided to try the Orange Blossom Cafe in the China Pavillion. We got an order of Egg Rolls for DD (she likes Egg Rolls and Lo Mein, but they didn't have the latter.) I had the Shrimp Fried Rice and DW had the vegatable stir fry, and we also had an order of pot stickers - which turned into two orders.

By the time we were seated the rains came - and it deluged! The area is well-covered but open-air seating, and we were a good 20 feet from a window, but it was raining so hard we could feel the rain from where we sat. We pretty much knew (A) we were staying here until this passed and (B) we probably weren't staying for Illuminations.

The food, by the way, was OK, I would say average Chinese Take-out. A bit dissapointing for China...i hate it when places like this cater to what tourists think lf "Chinese" food. I would wonder if the TS restaurant was better. We should have been across the lagoon in England with JLR and her DD! (Shout-out!)

When the rain finally let up, it was about 8:15 PM, and we decided to call it. There was a TON of lightning around, and though when I asked a CM if Illuminations was still on I was told "Yes!" I wasn't relishing sticking around here for an hour. We pushed our way to the front and got on a bus.

BTW, DD was much better after her nap...So, we managed to do "The Seas", "The Land" (but not Soarin'), "Imagination". One KP mission and the Rio Del Tempo...all in a single day, who hoo!

Actually, again, I didn't mind that much...getting DD a bit of rest was more important, because we couldn't have her wiped out for our last day. Getting through MK in a single day would be pretty hard core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I don't really have time to write up Day 5 right now...but when I got home, i wrote out a quick note to remind myself what we did that day. Our MK days are usually pretty hard core anyways, and having only one day made it twice as bad. Here's the note I wrote - I thought my fellow DIS'rs might get a kick out of what we accomplished in a single day at MK:
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Itís a Small World
Winnie the Pooh
Barnstormer (2X)
Mickey and Minnieís Houses
Donaldís Boat
WDW RR
BTMRR
Jungle Cruise
PotC
Columbia Harbor House (Lunch)
Haunted Mansion (Me) / Itís a Small World (DD/DW)
Haunted Mansion (DW)
Splash Mountain (FP)
Peter Pan (FP)
Buzz Lightyear (FP)
TTA
Dream along with Mickey (Castle Show)
The Plaza (Dinner & Ice Cream)
TTA
Carousel of Progress
Buzz Lightyear (FP)
Jungle Cruise (FP)
PotC
Spectromagic.

We also had Space Mountain FP that we didnít end up using, not because we didn't have time, but we just decided not to bother because it was down BOTH times we rode the TTA and didn't want to risk it. Believe it or not, that was NOT a rushed pace, we really took our time, but didn't wait more than 5 minutes for anything. I will share more details and picture in a bit.
Thanks for the shout-out! It would have been fun to have you at our table in the pub at the UK. It was packed! That rain storm was impressive! You know, that rest seemed to be just what the dr. ordered. I am amazed at your MK day! Truly impressive with a small child in tow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: