Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
JLR
DIS Veteran

Lovin the TR! I especially like the photo of you and your wife with Pinnochio and Gepetto.

MST 3000! I haven't thought of that show in a long time. I miss Comedy Central.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Animal Kingdom

I thought as my 2,000th post I should dedicate it to my TR...and I actually have a little time today...so here goes.

Today, our first full day, we were off to Animal Kingdom. This is DD favorite park, which she told me was "because it has animals". Myself, it is my 2nd favorite behind MK.While I still think it could use a little more / better "rides" the themeing and overall feel of the park is nearly-exactly right. We could easily spend too full days at this park, never ride and "ride" and still not be bored. (I use "ride" in quotes because I don't really consider the Safari trek a ride, but some do and it is one of the best things in this park.

It was a pretty nice day...low eighties and a bit humid. AK is always hotter than any of the other parks anyways, but it was not the worst weather we've ever spent there.

So, we arrived at the gate in time for rope drop. In fact, we walked up just as they were letting people past the turnstiles. (GOOD BUS KARMA-MA-MA!) It was interesting that they were having the rope drop show back here at the entrance to the Oasis. Every other time we've seen it in the last 4 years, it was at the tree of life location. Don't know why this was, but we were able to get a better view.

This had to have been the smallest rope drop crowd at AK I have ever seen. This park always feels quite crowded, but overall, this is the least crowded day we've ever had at AK. I was originally thinking I would FP the Safari and we would let DD play in the Boneyard first thing. She loves the play areas, but this one gets HOT, and we wanted to do it earlier, rather than later. However, a check of the times guide showed that it didn't open until 10AM, so we decided to go for our two-week trek:

As usual - the safari was great - it always makes the two week trip feel like it goes by in 20 minutes. I usually videotape a lot of this...but we've got enough video, so I tried my hand at still pix. I had some real crap ones but got a couple of good shots.

These guys were right next to our ride vehicle:

Our driver told us to say this was a picture of two giraffes! Can you see the second one?

Yup, the second one is INSIDE the first one. It's a pregnant giraffe!

Some Tommies (Thomson's Gazelles). Don't you just want to have a couple of these in your yard? (Better have a high fence.)

Surprisingly, the Lions were no where to be seen this time around...We got off the ride, and there was an enclosure near by with a gorilla in it...I hadn't noticed it before, but he was really close to the front chomping on some leaves:

Next, we headed down the Pangori (sp?) Forest Trail. Not my favorite trail (I prefer the Jungle Trek in Asia.) but we did get up close with some Okapi.

I told my wife "It's my favorite crossword animal." The name is very popular with crossword writers! One thing I love about the forest trail is the way all the signs appear to be hand written training instructions, such as this one:

It's like the whole area is a research station and we are there to study the animals. This is what I love about this park..the excessive level of details, and how there are CM EVERYWHERE to teach you about these animals. They also love to talk to you, as I think the vast majority of patrons just rush on by to get to Everest.

We also saw our good buddy Timon!

Must've been looking at the "Jesus Loves You" skywriting. (Oh dear, am I going to hell for that joke?)

It was just getting to 10 AM when we got to the Africa Discovery Kids station. There is one of these stations in each "land" and they teach you about various animals. DD loves these, and always wants to get all her stamps. She also got several pins for the movie "Oceans" which had opened the day before. (We missed the AK 12th anniversary celebration by 1 day, too.)

We figured since the boneyard was open, we would head over there next.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 2 continued

So, when last we left our intrepid explorers we had exited the Pangori Forest and were heading to the boneyard for some excavation fun. WE decided to take the short-cut across the back of the tree of life so DD could get the Discovery Island Kids Station stamp. Along the trail, there were several birds that were sitting right up close to the rails:

I also got what I thought was a cool shot from the back of the tree of life. I wish they put out a guide to tell you all the animals on the tree...I suppose someone on the internet has done this. I should probably try to look it up sometime.

So, we eventually made it to the boneyard. I ususally use this time to ride EE. DW does not like the ride, and DD is not yet up for it, so I go and ride in the standby line. The wait was only about 5 minutes, but I think standby couldn't have been more than 15. (Did I say the park seemed very uncrowded?) After that, I went over to the Kali River Rapids FP machines. It would only take two of our APs, my wife's was saying "Not Valid", which is odd for the fact she got into the park that morning. (As a sidenote, these APs are a royal pain. They seem to be really really fragile.) Well, our plan anyways had been to just have one of us go with DD on Kali while the other stays dry with our stuff, so I just took the two passes. Then I headed over to Discovery Island...I had heard hear on the boards that they were giving out FP for the 3 main shows at AK using the ITtbaB FP machines. Well, they were...and if you think people are confused by regular FP machines, you should have seen this place. The interesting thing is, you could get FP for EVERY show at the same time...but it was for a specific show. The FPs being given out were for the 1 PM FLights of Wonder, and the 2:00 PM Lion King show, so I got both...again my DW pass wasn't working, but the FP attendant was good enough to print it out for me...I think she was just happy to meet someone that understood what was going on.

I just need to put in another sidebar here: You constantly see people posting on this site how the service at WDW has gone downhill, CM don't care..etc. etc. We have now taken 5 trips in the last 5 years, and I have YET to see ANY evidence of this. Are some CM more helpful than others? Perhaps, but we have NEVER seen any evidence that the service and treatment of guests is more than top-notch. I always think that its a case of "You get what you give", where if you bully a CM to get what you want, then what you get back isn't so good...

...but I digress...So I made it back to the boneyard, where we stayed until it was about 11:45 PM.

That was supposed to be me holding up a pallet of bones, I'm not sure it came off that way at all. What do you think? I do know I successfully show off my gut, though!

So, we had decided to have lunch before going to see Flights of Wonder. I was originally going to suggest we try Yak and Yeti instead of our usual Flame Tree, but I looked at the prices, and said we should wait until we are on the DDP for Yak and Yeti, as it is more expensive. Flame Tree BBQ is quite possibly my favorite QS restaurant in all the parks. DW and I both got the chicken salad, which was excellent. DD got the awful hot dog on wheat bun. Blech! She ate the dog and left the bun. She mostly wanted to throw leaves in the pond. I gotta say, I also LOVE the seating area for Flame Tree. Very restful except for every two minutes the "ahhhheeeee" of the people riding EE. This one will be a hard one to skip next time.

We headed over to Flights of Wonder. No pictures, sorry, but I we do like this show. It's not the best ever, but I'll give it this, every show we've been to, they change up the birds acts a little bit, so it's always slightly different. For those interested, the FP method worked pretty well, they had a separate queue for the FP people, and let them in first. The fact was, all it got you was a slightly closer seat, as the show was far from full.

Next up, Dad makes a rare tactical error at WDW.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 2 continued

So, I had heard here that the old "Pocahantas and her forest friends" show area was being used as a Meet and Greet and also they were having a sort of presentation there as well. This only happened for a short time during the day. So, I wanted to go over there after Flights of Wonder to catch it, and then see the Lion King show with our FP. Well, DD was pretty insistant that she wanted to go to Rafiki's planet watch. I really wanted to check out the Pocahantas thing...knowing the DD was in no mood for characters this trip...so I made us trek across the park to Camp Minnie-Mickey.

Well, we got there, and wouldn't you know it, there WERE characters in that area, but they were just shutting it down for a break. This was all much worse and DW and I, as we still bring a stroller to push DD around in. While I refused to take it to the airport, we checked it in our luggage, and she got to use it starting today. It just makes everyone's life so much easier, and it IS kinda nice to have the storage area underneath.

Anyways, so we went to Rafiki's Planet Watch. I like this area a lot, but HATE the fact that you have to take a train to and from there. DD loves the petting zoo. DW and I like the ability to talk to CM that work behind the scenes at the parks. They also have some great small animal demonstrations. Even better, if you come by in the morning, you can catch them performing vetranary services on the animals. We only caught one demonstration. First was a hedgehog they brought out...and second was this guy:

Yup, that's right a porcupine. How these animals don't rule the world I have no Idea...what predator would possibly go near that thing!

DD wanted to buy some stuff at the gift stand. She is a HUGE stuffed animal girl. (I am scared to count how many she has but it is well above 100 - I guess I get what I deserve here, because I had almost as many as a child - many that she has WERE mine.)

After Rafiki's planet watch - DD was very excited to use the Kali River FP. We were running out of time to catch FotLK, but we decided we would do Kali and have to skip Maharajah Jungle Trek (booo! I hated missing that, but unlike most people, I believe you can't do AK in a day.) We ran into our first crowds of the day at Kali. The standby was listed as 45 minutes, and the FP return was pretty long...we waited about 15-20 minutes to get on this ride. I personally think this ride is a HUGE miss for Disney. Nice theming and all, but is probably the WORST river rapids ride I've ever been on. Our local Amusement park has what I consider a better Rapids Ride...which says something. But DD had only ridden it once before when she was 4, so she wanted to try it because she didn't remember it. We stripped our gear and gave it to DW...luckily we were not the ones that got soaked on the big fall.

It was getting pretty hot by this point, and the park was feeling pretty crowded. DD was starting to wear down too. We wanted to see FotLK, so we headed back across the park when we ran into the parade: DD wanted to watch it, so we got some cool beverages and stood back while she got to the front.

We first saw it in December with the Christmas overlay. It is still very charming and my favorite parade. I want to know how you become a "family" in the parade! That seemed very very cool!

We made our way over the FoftLK. DD was starting to melt down a bit...so I decided to tell her about our surprise. I got an ADR for the Rainforest Cafe for dinner! Well, she was less than excited. She had seen the one at DTD the previous trip, and wanted to eat THERE! Well, I explained I couldn't get an reservation there, and they are the same inside. Nope, she just wanted to go back to the hotel and eat. In the end, I didn't care, it saved me money, and I don't think RC is anything special. (We have one 20 minutes from our house in Niagara Falls, CAN.) So, we watched the show (no pix this time) and headed for the exit. First we had to stop at guest services for:
(A) To get DW annual pass reissued - which wasn't working in the FP machines and
(B) To complain about PIPA being taken away. For those not in the know. PIPA is the talking recycle bin that used to be out at Rafiki's Planet watch. She is the sister of PUSH - the talking trash can at MK. They took her away last year, and while in Rafiki's we complained, and they said to say something at guest services. I figure if enough people complain, maybe she'll return.

We hopped on the bus and headed back to the hotel, where we ate dinner, and then went over to try out the computer pool. Then it was time for bed. Tomorrow we had an early morning planned...which in hindsight I am not sure I would attempt again.

Oh, and I almost forgot, as we came back to our room, we saw this in the window:

Mousekeeping had taken DD stuffed animals, and arranged them on a chair with her balloon, so our window looked sort of like a store display. We were commenting that people walking by will think we did it, when another family was coming out of there room said that's what they thought - that we had done it, and they had taken a picture of it, too! Horray for Mousekeeping! And when I walked into the room, they hadn't even taken the tip I had left for them! (The next day I added more and left a note!)

Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Wow, I have missed so much already!! I guess I was waiting for your old TR to pop to the top of my subscribed list with the links! Oh well, I am here now & enjoying it!! I so wish someone would just come to me one morning and say, "Hey you want to go to Disney World today?"

I'm so glad y'all did the Animation Academy!! We just couldn't get enough of it in December. We had to talk each other out of going to class after class. And HOLY COW at that character list!!! I have never seen so many in there. Y'all must have gotten lucky.

I'm thinking of how hot AK was in December, and would not like to even think of how hot it is in April. But you got some great Safari pics! And I love the walking trails too. There is so much information to be found in AK!

Looking forward to more.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Wow, I have missed so much already!! I guess I was waiting for your old TR to pop to the top of my subscribed list with the links! Oh well, I am here now & enjoying it!! I so wish someone would just come to me one morning and say, "Hey you want to go to Disney World today?"
Wouldn't that be awesome?! I don't see it ever happening to me, though. I was thinking with the APs we have, wouldn't it be fun to do that..."Hey let's go to DW this weekend!" but for us with last minute air fare we could NEVER afford it.

Quote:
I'm so glad y'all did the Animation Academy!! We just couldn't get enough of it in December. We had to talk each other out of going to class after class. And HOLY COW at that character list!!! I have never seen so many in there. Y'all must have gotten lucky.
Yeah, once was enough for me, but my artistic talent (at least for drawing) is really horrible. DW would probably spend the whole day there if she could.

Quote:
I'm thinking of how hot AK was in December, and would not like to even think of how hot it is in April. But you got some great Safari pics! And I love the walking trails too. There is so much information to be found in AK! :
I really wasn't terribly hot, but we've done it in August and September, so we've seen much worse. The whole trip wasn't bad at all, but this DID seem like the hottest day. (AK day always is, though, isn't it.)

Quote:
Looking forward to more.
Thanks for coming over!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
akayek31
DIS Veteran

I wish I could keep a secret Disney trip from my kids. I love it way too much. I had to deal with the melt downs when we went to AK last year. I finally sent my son back to the room (he was 16) by himself.

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Pete! Love your report so far!

Isn't it funny that the APs are flimsy paper tickets and the KTTW cards are hard plastic? Never understood that one...

Congrats on your 2000th post! Looking forward to more...

Kathy
Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

It sounds like it was a great day at the AK. How lucky for you that it was so quite. I've never lucked out quite that much. No matter when I go it always seems to be busy when I go.

I too don't understand how people say that AK isn't a full day park. Normally I'm always missing something when I'm there. It really is a "stop and smell the roses" kind of place. It really just begs for a little bit of exploration.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #25
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Patiently waiting for more
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #26
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hi Pete! Love your report so far!

Isn't it funny that the APs are flimsy paper tickets and the KTTW cards are hard plastic? Never understood that one...Kathy
Thanks! It does seem pretty idiotic, don't know why they wouldn't use the more permanent type. The paper ones seem to have a lot of trouble in the FP machines, and I still have no idea how the one got demagnetized. I don't keep them in my wallet, but in my fanny pack. Maybe the cell phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
It sounds like it was a great day at the AK. How lucky for you that it was so quite. I've never lucked out quite that much. No matter when I go it always seems to be busy when I go.

I too don't understand how people say that AK isn't a full day park. Normally I'm always missing something when I'm there. It really is a "stop and smell the roses" kind of place. It really just begs for a little bit of exploration.
You got AK exactly there...the first time we ever went in 2000 we were one of those "where are all the rides?" people. Going with a child makes you realize how much there really is to do...though. My preference would be two full days there on a week-long trip.

And - I don't want to make it sound like AK was "empty"...it just wasn't quite as bad as usual. I've never seen that park "empty", unlike MK, Epcot and DHS, which at times has seem very sparsely filled. I think it is all about AK's design...I think people spend a lot of time there spinning around the hub...and that combined with narrow pathways make it seem perpetually crowded. It's like the area between Splash Mountain and BTMRR...I don't care how slow things are at MK, there are always 10,000 people milling around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Patiently waiting for more
Soon...I promise.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #27
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - First off - Toy Story Midway Mania!

Well, as you may have noticed, we didn't make it onto TSMM on our first day. Arriving late at the park and having only a few hours did us in. Well, DW and DD both love this ride...so I suggested this...

We were planning on doing a water park today...so I suggested..."What if we go to DHS for EMH at 8 AM JUST to ride Toy Story Mania? We could maybe even ride it twice! Then we'll just go over to Typhoon Lagoon for 10 AM opening!"

Great plan - not a simple execution though.

Problem #1: Dragging our butts out of bed for the 8 AM rope drop. We are the first to admit we are early morning people...but we rarely do 8 AM openings, simply because we aren't much for busting out of the room that quickly. We normally awake at 6 AM at home, but prefer getting up at 6:45 or so to make the 9 AM opening.

BUT, we managed to get up, wake up DD, get everyone dress, and be in line for the rope drop. The crowd was definitely smaller than the regular rope drop. We wound are way as close to front as we could, and dashed with the crowd to TSMM.

Problem #2: TSMM was not operating when we got there!

Argh! We arrive, and the CM are lined up out front explaining the ride is down, and they can't tell us when it will be up. Well, many people bolted for the FP machines and headed elsewhere, but we were here for this reason alone. I said to DW "It can't be too major, let's just wait it out." So, we took a few pictures:

And chatted with the CM that were standing around. I mentioned to them "Gosh, I bet you don't get a break like this too often on this ride?" They agreed. I got them to pose for a picture, too!

Well, we only waited about 15 minutes, and they got the ride running. Of course, they opened the queue up at a different point from where we were standing, so we were probably about 50th in line even though we were one of the first ones there. Still, we rode pretty quick. (DW got the high score.) but by the time we got off, it was 8:30 AM, and we decided not to risk a second ride because of...

Problem #3: DW was feeling a little ill. I don't want to go into detail, but she was concerned that she might have to go to a doctor and definitely wanted to get some medicine. So, she stopped at the medical center and got some information. She decided not to go see a doctor, to just start with some medicine, which they gave her the number of a pharmacy that will deliver on-site. She had them deliver it to our hotel, so when we got back this afternoon she could take it. The delivery fee was $5, but really it was worth it versus having to take a taxi somewhere.So, finally we only had to deal with...

Problem #4: There's no convenient way to get from the parks to the water parks. In our case, we had decided on Typhoon Lagoon, which is the same park we went to in 2008. Well, buses run from resorts to DTD and TL, but none go from the parks. The "fastest" way would have been to walk to the Boardwalk and take the bus...but we didn't really want all the extra walking. As we left the park...there was a water taxi waiting to leave, so we hopped on. We decided to get off at the first stop...the Swolphin. Not knowing which was first on the bus route, we turned right and headed in to...I think it was the Dolphin. We went up to the lobby, and then eventually found our way to the bus stop. Meanwhile, DW called her medicine into the pharmacy.

We only waited about 5 minutes at the Dolphin when the bus showed up. Once on the bus, we had to stop at the Beach Club...then the Yacht Club....then the Boardwalk...then FINALLY we made our way to Typhoon Lagoon. All in all, it took us about an hour to get from DHS to TL, but we got there with about 10 minutes to spare.

Overall, I'm not sure all the effort was worth it for a single ride on TSMM, but it wasn't awful either.

The crowd at opening was MUCH smaller than when we had gone in 2008. (Do you notice a pattern.) but admittedly when we went in 2008 it was August. Today was a near perfect water park day. Sunny, and the temperatures were mid-eighties without an overwhelming level of humidity. The crowds was quite moderate compared to our last visit. It didn't cost us anything to get in, as we had four WP&M options left from 2008, where I paid the extra $80 to make them non-expiring....so now it's "free"!

I don't really have any other pictures of the day, so I won't write too long-winded a description. We got a locker, and put the camera in there...which is why no pictures. We staked a spot in the far left corner of the wave pool area under a shady palm. Here's my impressions on the day:

- Love the tube slides. We hit these first.
- Ended up skipping the body slides, DD didn't want to do them.
- DD and I did the shark reef again. The damn mask/snorkles are too big for little kids...she still couldn't use them, and thus couldn't really look down at the sharks. She had a life vest, but I helped her across.
- One of the best things I've ever eaten on Disney property - the freshly fried mini-donuts with powdered sugar they sell near the entrance. Dear lord were those delicious...skip the topping sauce and just eat em plain. YUM!
- Crush and Gusher is super cool, but way too short. Line for one of the slides was actually zero wait at 1 PM.
- Love the wave pool here. Hold onto your...well everything, but I love the giant wave every 90 seconds way more than the usual steady bashing you get. We joked about the wave can't surprise you...just listen for the "WHOMP----EEEEEEEE!" The Whomp being the wave being generated, the EEEEEE being the 2000 people all screaming at once when they see that wall of water heading there way.
- DD still enjoyed playing in Catchakiddie Creek, but mostly just enjoyed building a sand castle.

We ended up pushing lunch off until right before we left, we had plans to see La Nouba tonight at 6 PM. So we though - late lunch, snacks at La Nouba, late dinner. So, we are at the "Leaning Palms" about 2:30 PM, and then heading out of the park. In our only bad bit of Bus Karma, we waited about 30 minutes for a bus back to POP. When we got to the rest stop it was empty...and I knew these buses come somewhat infrequently anyways, so I wasn't all that upset about the wait, even though we saw 3 buses for EVERY OTHER RESORT on property come by while we waited. Oh well. The crowd built, but not too badly...so we were able to go back to the hotel and get a little breather before La Nouba.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #28
JLR
DIS Veteran

Great update!

Love the AK photos. I don't kow how I missed that update. Groan about the two giraffes though - you got me. I was looking and looking....

That Saturday (your day 3) was a perfect waterpark day. We might have had more fun if we'd left when you did and hung out at our pool all day. Oh well - now we know!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #29
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

One of these days I'll get to one of the waterparks. I'm still upset that I never got to River Country as a kid. It sounds like it was a fun afternoon.

It's amazing how much the weather changed in the week between our visits. It was in the 40's for most of the time we were there. Definitely not pool weather at all.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #30
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
One of these days I'll get to one of the waterparks. I'm still upset that I never got to River Country as a kid. It sounds like it was a fun afternoon.
My first and only trip to RC was in 1997 when I was 26 years old. I can see nostalgia for it, but honestly, it was not very impressive. It was basically a lake, with like two little mini-slides to slide into it the lake. (One of which dropped a fair distance into the lake.)

BB and TL are fantastic water parks. BB is actually better from a "ride" point of view, the rides are so incredibly long compared to anything at your local amusement park.

The problem with the water parks is the # of actual slides are not so many. TL, for instance, has (for adults) 3 tube slides, 3 body slides, 2 speed slides, and the 3 slides at Crush n Gusher. That make a total of 13 potential "rides"...and some of them (the speed slides in particular but also Crush n Gusher) don't appeal to anyone...so the lines for the slides can get really long.

I don't know that I would go there on a solo trip...but the next time you go with your DB and DSIL and Nieces, you really should convince them to try one...I would have a hard time recommending one over the other. BB has more slides, but they are longer and faster, so it's the more extreme park.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: