Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Bring a 4 cup coffee pot for your room...

We have brought a coffee pot, and iron for that matter, on every cruise we've been on & no one has ever said anything. We have been on 7 cruises including DCL (3) Princess (2) NCL (2) & we've never had a problem.

Disney's coffee is horrible. We like to wake up to fresh brewed coffee & not have to walk up to the cove & pay an arm & a leg for decent coffee.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMet View Post
We have brought a coffee pot, and iron for that matter, on every cruise we've been on & no one has ever said anything. We have been on 7 cruises including DCL (3) Princess (2) NCL (2) & we've never had a problem.

Disney's coffee is horrible. We like to wake up to fresh brewed coffee & not have to walk up to the cove & pay an arm & a leg for decent coffee.
Maybe no one has said anything. but every cruise line I have sailed on has said no irons, no steamers, no large electrical things, I figure they must have a reason for saying t and I will follow the rules. I do know someone who brought a hair dryer onto a Carnival ship, even tho they said NO, she plugged it into the wall socket, there was a large blue spark and much smoke from the outlet. Needless to say, the hair dryer was fried and the outlet no longer worked. I would not want to chance it, because ships electrical is not the 110 we are used to in out homes.

I also am one who doesn't quite get how to pack a Mr Coffee with out breaking the glass pot.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
Maybe no one has said anything. but every cruise line I have sailed on has said no irons, no steamers, no large electrical things, I figure they must have a reason for saying t and I will follow the rules. I do know someone who brought a hair dryer onto a Carnival ship, even tho they said NO, she plugged it into the wall socket, there was a large blue spark and much smoke from the outlet. Needless to say, the hair dryer was fried and the outlet no longer worked. I would not want to chance it, because ships electrical is not the 110 we are used to in out homes.

I also am one who doesn't quite get how to pack a Mr Coffee with out breaking the glass pot.
In the begining we would always call & ask for more details on bringing an iron & they would always clarify that they do not want standard irons, but travel irons were ok. Some would say it has to have an auto shut off. They prefer no one brings them at all because of the electricity that would be used if everyone brought one. They also say about fire safety, but they really can't get very far with that one as long as they allow women to bring their flat irons as this is the exact same technology & it is allowed.

As far as blow dryers, I've never even heard of anyone not being allowed to bring one, although we don't sail Carnival. I bring mine & again, never have an issue.

As far as the coffee maker goes, this is also just because of the amount of electricity if everyone were to have one AND more importantly it's all about the money maker. I sailed on NCL's Pride of America & every stateroom had a 4 cup Mr coffee identical to ours that we bring. I also just got off a tour of Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and all of their suites also have a Mr Coffee identical to ours. We used to have a mr coffee with a glass pot but they finally started making one that is like a light stainless steel. Works great for travel!

I'm not saying that you don't run the risk of them taking an electrical item away from you or it not working. I'm just giving my past experiences. Look at the prices of their coffee & ironing services... that's why they don't want you to bring your own. I always bring my stuff from home that makes me comfortable, if they take it until the end of the cruise, that's fine, but I always try and like I said so far it's worked out for me just fine.

But to each their own.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
JenGC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
Great suggestion. Which cruise are you on???
I am going on the Wonder in September. My first cruise! I am excited now, but I am going to get more nervous about going. I have never been on a cruise!!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
You are welcome. If I recall, they will call you as it is leaving, to make sure you are up and, well, decent. And don't forget to tip! I fully intend to have a pot sent to me every morning I can, 2 of 3 days.

Remember, no room service on the last morning.
But.. if you order the night before your last morning, it will remain warm in the thermos. We did this and were able to have a light breakfast, with coffee on our last morning as we were getting ready in our room, before heading up to the dinning room to get refueled with more coffee. I believe the deliver up until Midnight on the last night.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
TinksDH
I'd rather be in WDW! Or Vero! Or on the DCL! Or...

Quote:
In the begining we would always call & ask for more details on bringing an iron & they would always clarify that they do not want standard irons, but travel irons were ok. Some would say it has to have an auto shut off. They prefer no one brings them at all because of the electricity that would be used if everyone brought one. They also say about fire safety, but they really can't get very far with that one as long as they allow women to bring their flat irons as this is the exact same technology & it is allowed.

As far as blow dryers, I've never even heard of anyone not being allowed to bring one, although we don't sail Carnival. I bring mine & again, never have an issue.

As far as the coffee maker goes, this is also just because of the amount of electricity if everyone were to have one AND more importantly it's all about the money maker. I sailed on NCL's Pride of America & every stateroom had a 4 cup Mr coffee identical to ours that we bring. I also just got off a tour of Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and all of their suites also have a Mr Coffee identical to ours. We used to have a mr coffee with a glass pot but they finally started making one that is like a light stainless steel. Works great for travel!

I'm not saying that you don't run the risk of them taking an electrical item away from you or it not working. I'm just giving my past experiences. Look at the prices of their coffee & ironing services... that's why they don't want you to bring your own. I always bring my stuff from home that makes me comfortable, if they take it until the end of the cruise, that's fine, but I always try and like I said so far it's worked out for me just fine.

But to each their own.
If the ship provides the coffee makers, like NCL, then they are assuming the liability of the coffee maker possibly malfunctioning. They also have an inspection and change-out frequency that they adhere to. To have every guest potentially bring onboard an appliance that uses resistance heat (coffee maker, iron, toaster, etc.) and NOT have it inspected is a recipe for disaster. It's too easy to just walk out of the stateroom and forget you left it on. A hair dryer, on the other hand, is usually turned off prior to leaving the room. Just because YOU don't think it's an issue doesn't make it right. There are rules for a reason.

And DCL has approved irons in their guest laundry that you are encouraged to use; no need to send your clothes out for pressing. I seriously doubt it's a money issue. A fire at sea is a major issue, and it seems silly to risk not just your well-being but the entire ship's for a caffeine fix. It's not like it's a plot against you to make you pay for good coffee while on DCL - Nescafe' is the standard at all Disney locations.

In case there is any confusion, see the DCL policy:

Prohibited Items
Question
What electronic devices or appliances are not permitted on board?
Answer
Personal VCR/DVD players are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs. Stateroom categories 1, 2 and 3 feature DVD/CD players. Concierge has a wide range of movies available, ranging from those suitable for kids to those for adults. Guests can make arrangements to check out the movies through the concierge staff at no additional charge.

Nintendo and other video game consoles are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs. Children can visit the Oceaneer Lab during Family Time to play games on the latest in gaming technology. Teens can play at the Stack or Aloft, depending upon the ship. Guests should check their Personal Navigator for times.

Personal irons are not allowed in staterooms due to safety concerns. Irons are available for use in the laundry facilities located on decks 2, 6 and 7.

Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings are prohibited due to safety concerns.

Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using these devices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity.

Electronic devices or appliances that are permitted include:

Laptops
Cell phone and camera battery chargers
Walkie-talkies and two-way radios (e.g., Motorola, JVC). Please be aware that the amount of steel in the ship's infrastructure may cause some "dead zones" and the radios may not transmit in these areas.
A small portable fan. However, please contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve the use of your particular appliance in the stateroom.

03/2005-OKW * 06/2005-VB * 01/2006-Offsite * 06/2006-BCV * 02/2007-PopCentury * 03/2007-VWL * 07/2007-Offsite
02/2008-AKV/DCL Magic Western/SSR * 12/2008-SSR * 07/2009-AKL Kidani Savannah View and VB * 10/2009-BLT with just DW on 20th Anniversary!
03/2010-DCL Wonder Bahamas and SSR Treehouse Villas * 07/2011-BLT and trip to Marathon Key * 07/2012-VB and VWL * 12/2012-OKW and NYE in WDW!
05/2013-VB, Trip to Fort Myers Beach, and SSR Treehouse Villas * 05/2014-DCL 7 Night Eastern and SSR for 25th Anniversary
Camera Stuff: Fuji X-E1 * Fujinon 27mm * Fujinon 18-55 OIS * Fujinon 55-200 OIS
Check out our photos at Mike's SmugMug Page
TinksDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:

For the safety of others, please don't do this.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #23
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey4me! View Post
However, electric pots are not allowed - fire hazard. Same for irons.
When you stay in a land hotel, the AC wiring meets local building codes and can readily handle the 5-10 amps a coffee maker or iron draws.

Contemporary ISO nautical standards call for internal wiring that can easily handle twice that load to ship accomodations. But Disney (like many other cruise lines) still pretends we are back in 1962 and that your little Krups Coffee maker will blow fuses right and left if you plug it in. That is (to be polite) is a pile of hooey. But -- in the interest of "encouraging" passengers to purchase things like on-board laundry/dry cleaning services and extra-fee cafe service coffee -- they (and again most other mass market lines) continue the charade.

I also love the "compatibility issue" with your Wii or Xbox and the in-cabin TV. Yes, certainly; DCL employs some esoteric make of television that uses CIA grade encryption on the video and audio inputs.

Quote:
We have brought a coffee pot, and iron for that matter, on every cruise we've been on & no one has ever said anything. We have been on 7 cruises including DCL (3) Princess (2) NCL (2) & we've never had a problem. .
Speaking of Krups, we have brought along our cherished small Krups travel iron on DCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival and Celebrity and also never had any problem. It has auto shutoff so the "oh, my, what if you left the cabin with it still on" schtick doesn't fly.

Frankly, the real fire hazard in cabins is balcony smoking, which DCL blesses. But I know, we aren't supposed to touch that subject.

Last edited by CandyMandy; 05-02-2010 at 11:54 PM.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #24
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Just FYI....NCL has now removed the coffee makers from all of the standard staterooms. The suites still have them, but none of the other rooms do.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #25
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
When you stay in a land hotel, the AC wiring meets local building codes and can readily handle the 5-10 amps a coffee maker or iron draws.

Contemporary ISO nautical standards call for internal wiring that can easily handle twice that load to ship accomodations. But Disney (like many other cruise lines) still pretends we are back in 1962 and that your little Krups Coffee maker will blow fuses right and left if you plug it in. That is (to be polite) is a pile of hooey. But -- in the interest of "encouraging" passengers to purchase things like on-board laundry/dry cleaning services and extra-fee cafe service coffee -- they (and again most other mass market lines) continue the charade.

I also love the "compatibility issue" with your Wii or Xbox and the in-cabin TV. Yes, certainly; DCL employs some esoteric make of television that uses CIA grade encryption on the video and audio inputs.

Speaking of Krups, we have brought along our cherished small Krups travel iron on DCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival and Celebrity and also never had any problem. It has auto shutoff so the "oh, my, what if you left the cabin with it still on" schtick doesn't fly.

Frankly, the real fire hazard in cabins is balcony smoking, which DCL blesses. But I know, we aren't supposed to touch that subject.

The issue with coffee pots and any device with a hot plate is fire. Circuit breakers would handle any potential issues with electrical.
Like I posted earlier, we have had a rash of house fires here recently caused by coffee pots igniting flamable material near them, and in the tight confines of a cruise ship stateroom, something a simple as a room service menu getting too close to the coffee pot cold trigger disaster.
There have been no issues with fire and smoking on Disney balconies. The situation with Princess was they opted not to put fire sprinkers over their balconies, a situation they have fixed on their ships in dry dock. Also, they apparently chose to build their balcony dividers our of flamable materials.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate it. This will be a big challenge. DH is a coffee fiend. He drinks pots of strong black coffee everyday.
---Call room service for a daily delivery at a time that suits your schedule. I've heard of people asking for coffee to be delivered at 3AM (when going to bed), and supposedly, it was still hot when others woke up.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #27
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Like I posted earlier, we have had a rash of house fires here recently caused by coffee pots igniting flamable material near them
I haven't seen the media or FTC sending out alerts about coffee makers suddenly becoming a massive fire hazard, nor any coffee makers on display at the local stores suddenly becoming covered with scores of new warning labels.

Perhaps this is a "west coast" thing?

Quote:
and in the tight confines of a cruise ship stateroom, something a simple as a room service menu getting too close to the coffee pot cold trigger disaster
If the "tight confines" are such a risk factor, why does Disney equip the small standard rooms in their moderate resorts at WDW (not much bigger than a DCL cabin) with these horrific, risky items? The flyers and paper materials near the coffee pot and iron there are presumably just as flammable. I guess this means they throw caution to the wind ashore? But then why do they ban balcony smoking there....but not at sea?

Quote:
There have been no issues with fire and smoking on Disney balconies.
With balcony smoking causing a fire, true, no disasters...yet. For irrespective of what Disney builds said balconies and their furnishings out of, passengers will continue to put flammable items (towels, clothing etc.) on balconies. Mix those with one stray ember from a cigarette or cigar and we'll all get a lesson in what a real disaster at sea looks like.

Last edited by CandyMandy; 05-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
I haven't seen the media or FTC sending out alerts about coffee makers suddenly becoming a massive fire hazard, nor any coffee makers on display at the local stores suddenly becoming covered with scores of new warning labels.

Perhaps this is a "west coast" thing?
NOPE, NATIONAL ISSUE. IT IS THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF PREVENTABLE FIRES IN THE UNITED STATES ACCORDING TO THE NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION

If the "tight confines" are such a risk factor, why does Disney equip the small standard rooms in their moderate resorts at WDW (not much bigger than a DCL cabin) with these horrific, risky items? The flyers and paper materials near the coffee pot and iron there are presumably just as flammable. I guess this means they throw caution to the wind ashore? But then why do they ban balcony smoking there....but not at sea?

BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 180 SQUARE FOOT STATEROOM AND 750 SQUARE FOOT HOTEL ROOM.

With balcony smoking causing a fire, true, no disasters...yet. For irrespective of what Disney builds said balconies and their furnishings out of, passengers will continue to put flammable items (towels, clothing etc.) on balconies. Mix those with one stray ember from a cigarette or cigar and we'll all get a lesson in what a real disaster at sea looks like.

DISNEY HAS FIRE SPRINKERS ON BOTH SHIPS ON THE BALCONIES

And the most important reason, they are forbidden.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
pluto1979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My Dh asked me this question and I don't know if its been addressed before. So , are there coffee makers in your room???
No there is no coffee pot in the room. however, like the other people have suggested, you can also order room service the night before and the carafe keeps it hot enough if you want your coffee before 7am.

Enjoy your cruise and have a great time!

Be sure to follow my blog about my life as a Disney Cast Member!
Disney Dreamer & Magic Maker
http://www.disneycm.blogspot.com
pluto1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

Lately I have been traveling with Starbucks' instant coffee. It's much better than the standard hotel room stuff and less $ than buying espresso.
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: