Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Wow. I didn't know that ConcK! We'll have to remember that if we ever get down your way.

What sort of food do they serve?

I'm with the "stepford wives" team when it comes to Celebration. Some of the houses are downright silly looking, too! We were walking along one of their paved walkways and saw one house that looked like a turreted castle. Funniest bit is that it was on a postage stamp sized lawn! Really dorky looking.

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC~OKW~96 View Post
Wow. I didn't know that ConcK! We'll have to remember that if we ever get down your way.

What sort of food do they serve?

I'm with the "stepford wives" team when it comes to Celebration. Some of the houses are downright silly looking, too! We were walking along one of their paved walkways and saw one house that looked like a turreted castle. Funniest bit is that it was on a postage stamp sized lawn! Really dorky looking.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/26/14300...fe-Haines-City
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
ABOMIBOT
Living a Richly Themed Life

Thank you all! Very helpful!

WDW July 1972 - KOA CAMPGROUND - Family pilgrimage. Haunted Mansion scared me silly & changed my life. I was 6 years old.
DL August 1981 - DAY TRIP - Family vacation and my first ride ever on Space Mountain!
DL 1985-1990 - DAY TRIPS - Skipped my USC classes and went to Anaheim as much as possible.
DL March 1992 - DAY TRIP - Quick in and out return from New York.
WDW January 1998 - DOLPHIN - Short business trip detour. Saw giant cranes pulling down giant gumdrops as they axed the anniversary castle cake.
WDW April 2000 - GRAND FLORIDIAN - "What have they done to Spaceship Earth?!?"
WDW April 2003 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RPC - Our first Royal Palm Club Stay!
WDW HalloweenTime 2006 - GRAND FLORIDIAN CL - Our first MNSSHP. We were Dark Siths.
DL HalloweenTime 2007 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN CL - First discovered the awesomeness of the HM NBC Overlay!!!
WDW HalloweenTime 2008 - POLYNESIAN CL - MickeyTron! Most. Awesomest. Costumes. Evar. Ask me about them!
DL May 2009 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - First trip with our pro Nikon dSLR. The photo obsession begins.
DL HalloweenTime 2009 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - Happy Haunts Tour and first-ever Fantasmic!
WDW June 2010 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RCP - Our first trip during Gay Days!
DL HalloweenTime 2010 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - MickeyTron Lunacy!
Moved to Celebration, FL June 2011 and so now there's not more need to keep visit counts!
ABOMIBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #19
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Thanks for the link ConcK. So the "boys" isn't a reference to the owners, rather their dogs?

Looks like a homey place.

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
It's never too late to try
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
cmpdw4me
"I'd like to stop people from passing off narrow-mindedness and intolerance as family values."

That is SO our 4 year plan. Have to wait till the child is done highschool, before we can move!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #21
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Just lurking here as I came upon your post in a search. I'm not gay but all of my siblings are

We are also moving to Orlando, my husband is there now. I'm reassured to hear good things about Hunter's Creek as that is where I have concentrated my search. We were told they had a good elementary school for a child with autism.

I'm going to go spend a week down there in 2 weeks to really check things out. Was hoping you might be able to give me some tips though also for our 22yo DD who wants to live closer to UCF with her dog, where she should concentrate her search?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Thanks for the link ConcK. So the "boys" isn't a reference to the owners, rather their dogs?

Looks like a homey place.
Yes. Although the restaurant is owned by 2 "Boys" it's named after their dogs.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

DH and I have talked about moving to FL once DS is in college. DH can transfer with his job, and I can find a new job once we get there. Of course we may decide it is just too labor intensive to pack up and move, but I would imagine we will do it eventually.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
copperhound
Earning My Ears

Hi There!

I would think a realtor wouldn't hesitate at all to show you around the area. I did that in a few communities when I moved here to the Gulf Coast in 2004.

However, if you are hoping to move down here to FL eventually, and if you can swing it financially, you might want to be open-minded about buying ahead of your move and renting out your new home until you're ready to make the leap.

There are some stellar real estate deals here in FL right now that hopefully (for me, anyway) will evaporate within the next few years.
)
Have a great visit -- I'd like to make it over for the Saturday of Gay Days with my two kids, but not sure if my seasonal passes cover that date...
copperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
lucigo
DIS Veteran

I have a realtor who put me on a mailing list so that I get emailed whenever a listing changes in the area I have specified. (Hunter's creek, only houses with pools). We aren't moving until this fall, and may not be able to buy yet if we don't get this house sold, but the realtor has been very receptive to my questions.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #26
QCast_Michael
One Little Spark

We also live in Hunter's Creek and LOVE it! Convenient to just about everything thanks to the 417.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #27
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'd avoid Lake county too, by the way (Clermont is in Lake county). They have impact fees and other charges (haven't kept up with it).
I disagree about Lake County. The property taxes are actually much less than Orange County. I live in Four Corners/Clermont (the Kingdom toll plaza is due east of our house). The only issue is hwy 192 during the morning rush hour (when tourists are heading into the attractions). I go to work early in the morning so miss it but this congestion is here on weekends, too. If they would build the proposed extra access to the 429 from hwy 27 I would love it because we could get to Orlando faster even if we do pay tolls.

I also love my development because we have natural gas. There are so few places in Orange county that offer this. The money we save is wonderful.

I agree with avoiding Pine Hills (aka Crime Hills). And do contact David Dorman. He is a friend of mine having worked at Disney with him.

Davenport may depend on where you are. If you are near Champion's Gate you are really close to I-4...and some neighborhoods out there have FIOS! (Think Internet access on crack!). A large shopping center with a Target and other major stores opened last year at I-4 and 27 (where Circus World/Boardwalk and Baseball used to be) so you have shopping not far away.

And your final location would depend on where you will be working.

Oh, and I agree with Michael about Hunter's Creek, too. The 417 can help you get easily around.

Last edited by colaboy29; 05-17-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Additional info
colaboy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #28
ABOMIBOT
Living a Richly Themed Life

Wow I never even considered natural gas wouldn't be available everywhere but - hello and duh - Orlando is pretty much on a swamp isn't it? That's a huge deal for us we're kinda foodies and wouldn't want an electric cook top.

By the way we have several appointments to see some homes when we're there thank you all for the advice.

WDW July 1972 - KOA CAMPGROUND - Family pilgrimage. Haunted Mansion scared me silly & changed my life. I was 6 years old.
DL August 1981 - DAY TRIP - Family vacation and my first ride ever on Space Mountain!
DL 1985-1990 - DAY TRIPS - Skipped my USC classes and went to Anaheim as much as possible.
DL March 1992 - DAY TRIP - Quick in and out return from New York.
WDW January 1998 - DOLPHIN - Short business trip detour. Saw giant cranes pulling down giant gumdrops as they axed the anniversary castle cake.
WDW April 2000 - GRAND FLORIDIAN - "What have they done to Spaceship Earth?!?"
WDW April 2003 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RPC - Our first Royal Palm Club Stay!
WDW HalloweenTime 2006 - GRAND FLORIDIAN CL - Our first MNSSHP. We were Dark Siths.
DL HalloweenTime 2007 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN CL - First discovered the awesomeness of the HM NBC Overlay!!!
WDW HalloweenTime 2008 - POLYNESIAN CL - MickeyTron! Most. Awesomest. Costumes. Evar. Ask me about them!
DL May 2009 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - First trip with our pro Nikon dSLR. The photo obsession begins.
DL HalloweenTime 2009 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - Happy Haunts Tour and first-ever Fantasmic!
WDW June 2010 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RCP - Our first trip during Gay Days!
DL HalloweenTime 2010 - GRAND CALIFORNIAN - MickeyTron Lunacy!
Moved to Celebration, FL June 2011 and so now there's not more need to keep visit counts!
ABOMIBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
ConcKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMIBOT View Post
Wow I never even considered natural gas wouldn't be available everywhere but - hello and duh - Orlando is pretty much on a swamp isn't it? That's a huge deal for us we're kinda foodies and wouldn't want an electric cook top.

By the way we have several appointments to see some homes when we're there thank you all for the advice.
I had natural gas in a development in Kissimmee I lived in (It was actually Champions Gate, but the address said Kissimmee). The development was called "Indian Ridge". I really liked it there, but the rent was too high for me at the time.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #30
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
I had natural gas in a development in Kissimmee I lived in (It was actually Champions Gate, but the address said Kissimmee). The development was called "Indian Ridge". I really liked it there, but the rent was too high for me at the time.
I work at the resort adjacent to Indian Ridge!

It's okay. Lots of tourist rentals there, aren't there?

I would NOT want to live amongst the tourist rentals!
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: