Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Shmee4
Earning My Ears

What do you do if you've got an itouch not an iphone?
Shmee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Brandis
DIS Veteran

As for using the free Internet in the rooms at DVC, there is nö difference between the iPhone and iPod Touch. For both you will need a wireless router, for example the Airport Express from Apple. You then have your own wireless network. This you access as you would at home.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #18
Gav N Becx
DIS Veteran

We stayed at BCV last Sept. I took my wireless router with me and had absolutely no problems setting it up and using my Iphone!
My route did not lose any of it's settings in transit, so it was a simple case of plugging the ethernet cable into the router and powering up! My Iphone recognised my router, just as if I was at home, so all's I had to do was open the web browser to any site and it automatically redirected me to the Disney in-room Internet website. Follow the on screen instructions (once every 24 hours mind) and away you go!
I had no connection issues. Only downside was the fact that I was only getting a 0.5 meg connection on average. It peaked at 1 meg during the night (low use), so found it quite slow at times.

I plan on taking it for our upcoming trip in Dec - much easier to take the tiny router & iPhone, rather than a laptop!!!

However - one small tip. If you have fixed IP settings like me then I recommend changing the DNS
servers to the same that are being allocated to your router from Disney. If you are using dynamically assigned IP addresses (auto) then ignore this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis;
Does the Acceptance policy show up in the internet browser when you open it the first time within 24 hours?

The reason I ask is, since I only have an iPhone, I was planning on bringing my WiFi Router with me, so I can still use the free Internet with my iPhone. But of course I would only be able to accept the internet policy if it shows up in a browser.

Has anyone on here already used the DVC internet with an iPhone?
DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010

Gav N Becx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
danneva
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by epcot1stfave View Post
You only need to plug in the cable provided, click on the Disney policy acceptance and you will be online. Used our Samsung NC10 last yesr with no problems. You will have to do the acceptance thing every day as the internet is charged for 24 hours use. Of course you wont pay staying on points but you still have to go through the acceptance screen....
yeah..yeah..I want to try this..thanks dude!
danneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #20
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if to connect an Airport Express to the Internet outlet in the room, is a normal or a crossover cable needed?

Also, the cable provided in the room probably is a normal, non-crossover one, right?

Last edited by Brandis; 06-30-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Corrected technical term for cable type.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #21
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
Does anyone know if to connect an Airport Express to the Internet outlet in the room, is a normal or a crossed cable needed?

Also, the cable provided in the room probably is a normal, non-crossed one, right?
Do ever get that feeling you're reading a foreign language? That went completely over my head!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Sorry, the correct term would be "Ethernet Crossover Cable".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #23
RDP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink6666 View Post
Would it work with an i touch?? I bought the disney app and could not figure out how to login to the internet when we were there in April
Do you have a link for this app? Would like to use my iphone to upload photos to photo-bucket while out there
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
dazza5931
Mouseketeer

internet

just been reading sounds easy we are dvc members and will be staying on our first dvc trip in september i will be taking my laptop thanks for the great info
dazza5931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #25
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

We are planning on taking our Ipad to the treehouse and thought it would be good for my friend to be able to have internet access in her own room as well, so we bought an apple airport express off ebay last week. Finding this thread has reassured me that our plan will work

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #26
MickeyMcMouse

DVC VWL BCV member

Really wish they would get wireless access sorted, although I suspect that the bill might be a little large to impliment.

Just an aside on the speed, first time we used it just after Saratoga Springs opened, the speeds where fantastic 20mb download and upto 10mb upload.

Was superfast for surfing or uploading photos. Unfortunately it seems to have been screwed down to around the 1/2 to 1mb download. Such a shame

David
93 G.Coast, 94 DLP NB, 95 WDW CB+G.Coast, 97 WDW WL+G.Coast, 98 DLP DH, 98 WDW GF+G.Coast, 99 DLP DH, 99 G.Cost, 00 WDW WL+G.Coast, 00 WDW WL+Wyn Palace, 01 WDW WL+G.Coast, 02 WDW AKL+OKW+VWL, 02 WDW VWL, 03 Barbados, 03 WDW VWL, 03 WDW BCV+VWL, 04 WDW OKW, 04 DLP DL, 05 WDW VWL, 05 WDW VWL, 06 WDW SS, 06 WDW SS+BWV, 07 WDW SS, 07 WDW SS, 07 WDW SS, 07 WDW SS, 08 WDW SS, 08 WDW Dolphin, 08 WDW SS, 08 WDW SS, 09 WDW SS, 09 HGV, 09 HGV, 09 WDW SS, 10 WDW SS, 10 WDW VWL, 10 HGV, 11 HGV, 11 WDW SS, 11 WDW SS, 12 WDW SS, 13 WDW OKW, 13 WDW SS, 13 HGV, 14 WDW SS
MickeyMcMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark&sue View Post
We are planning on taking our Ipad to the treehouse and thought it would be good for my friend to be able to have internet access in her own room as well, so we bought an apple airport express off ebay last week. Finding this thread has reassured me that our plan will work

susan
Have you used it yet Susan?

We take our iPad for the first time in April, whilst our off site villa has wi-fi it would be nice to use also for our Boardwalk stay.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #28
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

no we have not used it yet as we don't go until the end of March, but we used the ipad in Spain over new years and it was definately so much better than using our little arcos or taking the laptop. Fingers crossed this airport thingy works, it all sounds a little complicated to me!!!

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

believe they have been roiling out WI fi throughout DVC resorts so you could use poolside and in and around no problem
Paul
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #30
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
believe they have been roiling out WI fi throughout DVC resorts so you could use poolside and in and around no problem
Paul
There may be some limited WiFi available in the public areas of some DVC resorts, especially those resorts associated with a convention center. But in general, there is no WiFi available in the rooms, you must have your own wireless router.

The non-WDW based resorts, as far as I know, are completely WiFi, but not the Disney World locations.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: