Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Question Internet access

This is probably an unnecessary question that only an obsessive planner would ask , but what do you do to access the free internet in the DVC resorts?

I'll be taking my netbook with me for the first time to a DVC resort, and have used it before only in resorts with WiFi. Is it as simple as just connecting the cable, or will I be given complicated instructions / passwords, etc.? Should my netbook automatically connect?

(If I've got nothing more important to worry about than this, things can't be too bad, can they? )
Old 05-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
LORNA ANN
UK DVC Member

Hope some-one comes along & answers this question as DS has asked to take his laptop with him.
Does the lap top automatically reconfigire its self to a internet provider (like the mobile phone does)or do you have to do something complicated, can you tell we have never taken or used laptop abroad before !!
2004 HOLIDAY INN(FEB ) & ALL STAR SPORT(OCT )2005 GRAND FLORIDIAN & MARRIOT
2006 ALL STAR MUSIC 2007 BEACH CLUB & SARATOGA
2008 SARATOGA
2009 B0ARDWALK,SARATOGA(FEB)
2009 BAY LAKE TOWERS(OCT)
2010 ANIMAL KINGDOM/BOARDWALK(OCT)
2011 (FEB) SSR (OCT) SSR
2012 (FEB)HOLIDAY INN@DTD (OCT) SSR & BLT
LORNA ANN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
epcot1stfave
Mouseketeer

You only need to plug in the cable provided, click on the Disney policy acceptance and you will be online. Used our Samsung NC10 last yesr with no problems. You will have to do the acceptance thing every day as the internet is charged for 24 hours use. Of course you wont pay staying on points but you still have to go through the acceptance screen....
]Oct 1990 First trip to WDW offsite. : Dec 1992 offsite. Aug 1994 offsite. Dec 1996 offsite. Dec 1998 AS Music. Dec 1999 CBR Dec 2000 Dixie Landings.Oct 2001 East coast USA/ Canada Dec 2002 POR. Dec 2003 POR. Nov/Dec 2004 Cross Canada Toronto to Vancouver on the Canadian.: Dec 2005 POR. Sep 2006 Dolphin.Dec 2007 POR family trip: Sep 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge DCL Disney wonder Port Orleans. Sep 2009 SSR Sep 2010 Disney Magic Transatlantic SSR Apr 2011 DLPR Sep 2011 SSR Sep 2012SSR Sep 2013 SSR Sep 2014SSR
Sep 2015 WBTA
MICHAEL
epcot1stfave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Paddyshack
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Just to add to epcot1stfave reply. If you do have a problem connecting (which I did) just ring the helpline number and they will talk you in using a hidden link. Very fast and efficient service and best of all free for DVC.
2007 June WDW AKL
2008 Feb SSR
2009 Mar DLP Sequioa Lodge
2009 Oct AKLV
Paddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Thank you for the info, epcot1stfav and Paddyshack! It sounds re-assurringly simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORNA ANN View Post
Hope some-one comes along & answers this question as DS has asked to take his laptop with him.
Does the lap top automatically reconfigire its self to a internet provider (like the mobile phone does)or do you have to do something complicated, can you tell we have never taken or used laptop abroad before !!
Glad I'm not the only one who wonders about these things
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Ann B
Mouseketeer

This is an interesting thread as I will be taking my netbook to SSR for the first time in July. Do I need to take any cables with me? (Except for the power cable obviously!
Thanks

June 1992 Off site Honeymoon, October 2004 POFQ, May 2006 POFQ, June 2007 POFQ, July 2008 POFQ and HRH, 2009 Bought DVC at SSR, July 2010 SSR and HRH, July 2012 SSR and HRH
DW (me) DH DS 19 DS 17
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann B View Post
This is an interesting thread as I will be taking my netbook to SSR for the first time in July. Do I need to take any cables with me? (Except for the power cable obviously!
Thanks
The ethernet cable that connects to the wall socket and your computer will be in a little bag hanging in your closet in the room (if it's missing you can just call and get one brought to your room). No need to take anything special along with you
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Does the Acceptance policy show up in the internet browser when you open it the first time within 24 hours?

The reason I ask is, since I only have an iPhone, I was planning on bringing my WiFi Router with me, so I can still use the free Internet with my iPhone. But of course I would only be able to accept the internet policy if it shows up in a browser.

Has anyone on here already used the DVC internet with an iPhone?
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Tink6666
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
Does the Acceptance policy show up in the internet browser when you open it the first time within 24 hours?

The reason I ask is, since I only have an iPhone, I was planning on bringing my WiFi Router with me, so I can still use the free Internet with my iPhone. But of course I would only be able to accept the internet policy if it shows up in a browser.

Has anyone on here already used the DVC internet with an iPhone?
Would it work with an i touch?? I bought the disney app and could not figure out how to login to the internet when we were there in April
Old 05-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Everything is done through a browser.

When you try to connect to the internet the page automatically diverts to the Access page where you have to get the terms and an accept button for the $9.95 charge to your room. Note that you still get and have to click this button even if you're DVC and staying on points just the charge won't go to your room.

I've never connected via a router/wifi personally however I've seen a lot of people on the main DVC forum comment that they do it (they keep the router in their Owners Locker) so seems to be definitely possible

Hope that helps!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Ann B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymad View Post
The ethernet cable that connects to the wall socket and your computer will be in a little bag hanging in your closet in the room (if it's missing you can just call and get one brought to your room). No need to take anything special along with you
Thanks Disneymad!

June 1992 Off site Honeymoon, October 2004 POFQ, May 2006 POFQ, June 2007 POFQ, July 2008 POFQ and HRH, 2009 Bought DVC at SSR, July 2010 SSR and HRH, July 2012 SSR and HRH
DW (me) DH DS 19 DS 17
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

I have connected many times at different disney resorts. I frequently have to ring their helpline as it just won't connect. Sometimes they do sort it out quickly (as long as you can follow their instructions!) but sometimes they need to send an engineer (or even 2 on one occasion when it took them several days to work out they had done some faulty connections on their server!) Don't mind the frustration quite so much now we don't have to pay at DVC resorts.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
auralia
DIS Veteran

when i tried to use the wireless internet at CBR they charged me and the internet never quite worked it would work for 10 seconds at a time then time out and not work for 5 minutes and then kick back in... i was told there was no problem with the internet and it was my computer but how come my wifi at home works fine? i didn't bother with it after wasting the first 10 bucks.
auralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Hrrm, interesting. I've used the Hi-Speed internet at OKW, BWV and Saratoga Springs, had no issues.

Could your problem at CBR have been down to some sort of Firewall on your router perhaps? Certain Ports not open at home that need to be open at the resort?

Differing configurations could deffo cause potential problems (either at WDW when you arrive or back home if you change something at resort) - as WDW don't offer WiFi their support presumably is a bit iffy too and they might not even know how to fix any issues.

Incidentally, when I turned my laptop on last year at OKW I was picking up someone else's wifi because they didn't password protect their connection.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Tsplaat
Disney Dad

Just connect the cable and start up your web browser. Accept the terms, and off you go. I wish they had WiFi, but no dice.
Tsplaat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: