Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Expired cans of tomato sauce & paste???

I just went through my pantry to list what I have so I can sorta destash and WAY in the back are about 6 cans each of tomato sauce & tomato paste....all with an expiration date of February 2009 . I really hate to just toss them, but hate to make anyone ill either. So, think they would be OK to use to make a few batches of sketti sauce and some other freezable items? How will I know if they are bad? Will it smell?

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Justsyd2
I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said that! Speaks French when no one else is around. "Why am I covered in feathers?"

Tomatoes go rancid after sitting for too long. If they are expired, I wouldn't chance it. It's just not worth it! It might be worth it to organize the pantry and put new items behind older ones when you get home from the store.

(Me) (DH)

2010 - Carnival/Paradise - Catalina Island/Ensenada and Disneyland
2009 - WDW/Caribbean Beach Resort
2007 - New Jersey/New York
2006 - Kansas City, Mo
2005 - Carnival/Fantasy - Bahamas
2003 - Big Bend National Park/Port Aransas, TX
2002 - RCC/Rhapsody - Key West/Belize/Cozumel
1998 - Disneyland - 9 times!

Register to remove

Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
I just went through my pantry to list what I have so I can sorta destash and WAY in the back are about 6 cans each of tomato sauce & tomato paste....all with an expiration date of February 2009 . I really hate to just toss them, but hate to make anyone ill either. So, think they would be OK to use to make a few batches of sketti sauce and some other freezable items? How will I know if they are bad? Will it smell?
As long as they have not rusted through you will be fine using them. Canned goods last well past the use by date. Obviously if they smell or do not look right do not use them. Otherwise you will be fine.

Found this here: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...ates-faqs.aspx

When do you throw away canned goods from grocery store?
Some, but not all canned goods have "best by" dates printed on the can but most can be stored beyond that date. Rotate your canned goods so that you eat the oldest first within a target date of 1 year. Here are some additional more specific guidelines from the USDA: Store canned foods in a cool, dry place. Low acid foods such as such as meat and vegetables can be store for up to 2 to 5 years. High acid foods can be kept for up to 18 months.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Last edited by Halbleib1; 04-30-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

All I know is that I opened a bad can of tomato sauce once (not expired, just had gone bad somehow) and it exploded all over the kitchen. It was a nightmare to clean up. I think we found spots of tomato sauce when we moved out of the apartment years later!!!

I wouldn't chance tomato sauce products. Just toss them. Its not worth it.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
bas71873
DIS Veteran

OK, thanks maggiew.....i am tossing. i sure don't want that headache.

to the other responders, thanks too. i'll be tossing them with the wednesday garbage

pantry is officially cleaned out!

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
dd50
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
As long as they have not rusted through you will be fine using them. Canned goods last well past the use by date. Obviously if they smell or do not look right do not use them. Otherwise you will be fine.

Found this here: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...ates-faqs.aspx

When do you throw away canned goods from grocery store?
Some, but not all canned goods have "best by" dates printed on the can but most can be stored beyond that date. Rotate your canned goods so that you eat the oldest first within a target date of 1 year. Here are some additional more specific guidelines from the USDA: Store canned foods in a cool, dry place. Low acid foods such as such as meat and vegetables can be store for up to 2 to 5 years. High acid foods can be kept for up to 18 months.
I wouldn't toss them because years ago no cans had expiration dates on them and I never opened a bad can. Like PP said if they aren't rusted or dented they should be fine.
dd50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Food banks will not accept expired goods. I think of that as a good guide for food safety for all.
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

Seriously, you want to risk your family's health over $5 worth of canned goods?

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
disluhypno
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
All I know is that I opened a bad can of tomato sauce once (not expired, just had gone bad somehow) and it exploded all over the kitchen. It was a nightmare to clean up. I think we found spots of tomato sauce when we moved out of the apartment years later!!!

Maggie
I did that, except it was with pureed pineapple! I think it fermented somehow, and just couldn't wait to get out. Oh the woes of the kitchen.
disluhypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

When I did the Give a Day,Get a Day promotion for Disney we worked at a county warehouse sending canned goods and other items to Haiti for the earthquake relief.We had to sort through boxes of canned goods and they told us to only throw out expired cans that had meat,if they didn't have meat and were expired they told us to keep them.In my opinion if it's expired,it's expired whether it has meat or not but we were just doing what we were told.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post

Maggie
BTDT too. I can be a little lax with exp. dates, but I don't mess around with tomatoes anymore.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

The best by date is the date when the canner estimates the food will still be at peak quality. It is generally still safe to eat so long as the can is not damaged. If there is any bulging or leakage definitely toss. Otherwise open carefully and inspect and cook very thoroughly.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
mdrob214
Denise a.k.a. Mikki and Pooh's Mom
I read it on the DIS....it must be true!
Personally, I hate making cupcakes, but like making the just for fun cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Food banks will not accept expired goods. I think of that as a good guide for food safety for all.

Ours takes them--we jsut did a food drive for the scouts. We separated the items by date and they took the expired ones to a special area--to be used right away.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #14
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

I have used many items past the date marked on the item and no one has ever gotten sick. Obviously you have to use common sense. If it does not look or smell right in the trash it goes.

Many people think that cheese is bad if it gets even a hair of mold on it and that is not true at all. All cheese before it gets to us sits to age and grows mold on it. They just cut it off before shipping it out. That is all I do here at home as well. Most hard cheeses only get better with age esp. if it has never been taken out of the original packaging.

Dates on food are not mandated by the government this includes meat as well. The manufacturer/store puts them on as a courtesy to it's customers. I believe they also do it to help themselves as well because they know many people will toss it and buy new after that date even if the item is still good.

Dates on meat esp. can not be trusted as most stores just repackage it and change the date anyhow. So you never really know how long that meat has been sitting on the shelf for before you buy it. Dateline did a few stories on this. They also use carbon dioxide to keep the meat looking red as most people will not buy meat that is brown even though it is still good to eat.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Firstred
Earning My Ears

canned tomatoes expired

I'd like to give my contribute to anyone else looking for information as I was doing when I found related and useful information in this thread.

I forgot to use two tomato sauce cans and a tomato sauce bottle (glass): the cans had march 2012 as expiration date; the bottle may 2012.

Since it was passed more than a year after the exp. date, I was uncertain about tossing them or not.
After a search I've found this thread and finally I made up my mind to chance it.

The cans were not damaged, with no bulging or leakage, and once opened the tomato looked and smelled good. The same as with the bottle. I cooked and ate this tomato without any consequences. Thanks to those who shared their experience in this thread.
Firstred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: