Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen429 View Post
I looked into it. According to what I've read, all the one bedrooms only take four people. We'd have to get a two bedroom and they're crazy expensive too. Thanks for the thought though!
trust me I am a dvc member..they fit 5..our handbook says 4 but now standards and savannahs and BLT and some others legally allow 5 now.

we were a family of 5 until a year ago when we became 6. I never hid the fact we were 5 and I have stayed at 1 bedrooms at BCV, BWV, AKV, SSR, OKW WVL..only one I havent stayed at yet is BLT
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #32
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktbMouse View Post
You know..Im really excited about going to Disney..I mean who wouldnt be..but Im just wondering how it will go this year taking our 22 month old. I know Im going to get stuck with him on the flight and also with him for most of the vacation while my 8yr old and hubby go have fun. Dont get me wrong I love the baby to death but I cant help but think I wont get much of a vacation this time. It will be business as usual but just in a nicer place!!
We just went w/our 4.5 yr old & 1 yr old. During nap time, I would find a quiet place in the park for the 1 yr old to nap in his stroller while DH & 4.5 yr old went on rides. I have to say I did enjoy this quiet time. It gave me a chance to check out the little details I usually miss on our past trips. I would walk around the park, get a smoothie & check everything out. Also, I used this time to shop! I never have enough time to go thru diff shops & this trip I was able to really shop!
Now DH did switch w/me a couple of days where he stayed w/sleeping DS while I went on rides w/our older DS. So it wasn't always me, but I did enjoy the down time to really explore.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 86 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
tallen429
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
trust me I am a dvc member..they fit 5..our handbook says 4 but now standards and savannahs and BLT and some others legally allow 5 now.

we were a family of 5 until a year ago when we became 6. I never hid the fact we were 5 and I have stayed at 1 bedrooms at BCV, BWV, AKV, SSR, OKW WVL..only one I havent stayed at yet is BLT
Wow, that's great to know, thanks!
But if you rent points, doesn't that mean you can't get the dining plan/ Do you still get a KTTW card? I have only done a small amount of research about renting points so I'm fairly clueless.
we have the FQSD pin that we upgraded to regular dining and taking that perk out would totally blow the budget up I think.

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #34
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea73 View Post
You are right. I am planning this vacation and hoping that I can make it a good one. I know that he HATES waiting in lines so I am planning in a way to help minimize them. (Best parks, some rope drops, GAD FP) I even bought a mini fridge that I plan to stock with beer.

But I have realized after 13 years of marriage that I cannot "make" someone happy and can only choose to be happy myself. I am a believer that being happy is a choice and being miserable is a choice too.

So I am hoping some kind of happy switch is triggered for him on this trip, but if it does not happen, oh well. As long as he does not do anything to make me and the kids unhappy, it will be fine. I let him wallow in his own misery, it's only when he starts doing things to squash our fun that I get ticked.
sounds like a good aproach. is he adventerous or like non-disney stuff? golf? racing? parasailing? fishing? massage/spa? maybe you can surprise him with something totally for him. or plan a 'kids nite out' for the two of you. not to get all Oprah about it, but one of the things my buddies and i complain to each other about is that our wives always want romance of the harlequinn sorts, but don't seem to think of us guys. i mean, we are guys and like to be 'in charge', fix things that aren't broken, etc...but i can tell you, when the wife decides to take charge and please a man in the way that he wants (don't everyone put your mind in the gutter on this), it goes a long way! like they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". surprise your hubby this trip in a way he wouldn't expect and a way that is totally him, you might just be amazed.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
tallen429
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmalone View Post
Thanks but im the husband and my spouse is the wife LOL.
oops! Sorry! I must have missed that...duh!

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #36
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

I am feeling the same way but for differen reasons. We booked a bounceback trip last year after going with my DH, mom, aunt, uncle and their 4 kids. Talk about stressful! It was everyone's first time except mine, the planner, lol. It was a lot of fun but since DH & I have no kids, we got annoyed by the end of the trip with the kids. So we were all set with our bounceback for this fall then my DH had to have knee surgery. We ended up cancelling the trip bc they said they would do one knee first then the second this summer. Well his first one went good and he should be okay for the most part by Sept and he may not even have to have the second one done so we were kicking ourselves for cancelling. We rebooked and couldn't get our bounceback offer again so we are all excited to go but if they don't offer free dining, we won't be going so I'm excited but not too excited KWIM?
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #37
DEBBYIAC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with you fully, its not so much that she's not a fan of Disney, because we are both HUGE fans of Disney, im just worried that things have been so rough between us, that we will forget the fun in the mist of us not getting along, like you, there people I would not go to WDW, like my friends that DONT ride rides, or are always in a grumpy mood
I think every couple from one time to another has a rough patch, I think it's normal I might not always like my husband , but I do love him, he loves wdw also but I am not looking forward to going with him either (i really can't stand him on vacation, he acts like a baby, its like having three children) but I have accepted this over the years, I would just relax and see what happens, try leaving all the rough stuff at home, I hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #38
pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen429 View Post
Wow, that's great to know, thanks!
But if you rent points, doesn't that mean you can't get the dining plan/ Do you still get a KTTW card? I have only done a small amount of research about renting points so I'm fairly clueless.
we have the FQSD pin that we upgraded to regular dining and taking that perk out would totally blow the budget up I think.
if you have an AP you can get dining plan. I dont think as a renter you can, only DVC members. However, you may find it a break even with the room costs and space for the 5 of you vs your pin. Guess you have to decide which is more important. If you are just getting the dining plan and not free dining, then you may wish to try without the dining plan. You may find it worth the effort
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #39
Andrea73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBBYIAC View Post
I think every couple from one time to another has a rough patch, I think it's normal I might not always like my husband , but I do love him, he loves wdw also but I am not looking forward to going with him either (i really can't stand him on vacation, he acts like a baby, its like having three children) but I have accepted this over the years, I would just relax and see what happens, try leaving all the rough stuff at home, I hope it all works out for you.
I agree. I have been married for 13 years and we have had several rough patches. But we have made it though. One thing that I think helps is to take things like divorce off the table, don't even think about it. If it's not an option, you have to work it out.

Me DH DD12 DD8
Andrea73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #40
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The trip was already planned and payed since last year, things started going sour two months ago, like you said its not a cheap trip, plus I love WDW, I dont think im willing to pass it up escp it being my last trip to WDW for another couple of years, so im really in a hard place right now

I see. I hope you have a great vacation.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #41
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Why would you go to Disney (or any vacation) with somebody you really don't want to have along with you?

It is not a cheap vacation, so I don't understand why would you plan it in a way that may make your vacation an unhappy memory?
In my own case, it's not that I don't want my friend to go exactly. I'd go to Disney with her. And I'm certain that the three of us will have a great time. My problem is that when I look back on this, will I regret not having gone just with my mom? And I hate the idea that I would regret anything about this trip.

My mom was very unhappy when I decided to volunteer outside the US and she was even less happy about my decision to volunteer in a post-conflict highly impoverished UN-occupied west African country with an up and coming organization. It was supposed to be a special trip to WDW because Disney has always been special between my mom and I. Now it's a special trip between my mom and I and my friend.

And I hate that I keep hoping that my friend will drop out. I hoped she'd drop when I told her the dates, I hoped that she'd drop when I told her the price, I hoped that she'd drop when we changed our resort to the GF and told her that it would cost an extra $25 a day for her. But I'm now certain that it'll take me telling her that I want to spend the trip with my mom to get her to cancel. And that makes me feel horrible.

We don't go to Disney often. My mom is getting older and it's hard to find time to have a long vacation together. I feel like I'll have dozens of chances to take a vacation with my friend, and very few chances to do something with my mom that we both love.

Wow this is like therapy and I don't know whether I feel better or worse now that I've got it off my chest.

Melodious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #42
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittLeshea View Post
Yeah, you're right! Plus, most of the major holiday events that will be going on at the time are things we BOTH are interested in and will be seeing for the first time (Candlelight Processional) and we'll be trying new things together so I'm really excited about all of that. The other thing is that my friend likes to take naps in the middle of the day, while I'm not a napper AT ALL. I could easily stay in the parks from rope drop to park closing! However, I WANT her to just have a nap in the middle of the day if she can hang out later at night, but I'd feel bad leaving her in the room alone and then going out to the parks, so I don't really know what to do there. I mean... I could always explore the resort , I suppose. LOL, every time I bring up the nap thing, I feel like I'm talking about a five year old!
Awww see, the holidays are probably the perfect time to go to Disney with this particular friend. As for naptime, exploring the resort does depend on which resort you're in because some have more than others and some are closer to other resorts than others. I know you're going in December, but I'd think about the pool. I'm going in November and I definitely plan to get in. All WDW pools are 82 degrees I hear and there's a hot tub and pool bar and probably a slide...Could be fun.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
DaniB
DIS Veteran

I'm excited about our upcoming trip but nervous at the same time.

My daughter gets scared so easily, which shouldn't be a big problem, but the way she acts because of it is...

I'm afraid she will back out of all kinds of rides at the last second... I'm afraid she will get upset on the plane...

Ugh.. thinking of the way she might act up or out wrecks my excitement. And she's turning 11!

Sept 14-23, 2010 - 9 nights CSR 1st family vacation (w/ free DDP)
DaniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #44
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with you fully, its not so much that she's not a fan of Disney, because we are both HUGE fans of Disney, im just worried that things have been so rough between us, that we will forget the fun in the mist of us not getting along, like you, there people I would not go to WDW, like my friends that DONT ride rides, or are always in a grumpy mood
I agree that WDW might be just what the doctor ordered if you're both Disney fans. Sometimes it's good to get away and remember those things you have in common. BUt like others have said, it all depends on your mindset going in. If you are convinced you're not going to have a good time, are not going to reconnect with your wife, are going to be disappointed in the 'waste' of a Disney trip, then that's the trip you're going to have. Just go into it a little more relaxed than usual, a little more cooperative than usual and try to remember that you're in the happiest place on earth! Once you both start to remember how much you love WDW maybe you'll start to remember that you love each other too.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #45
pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodious View Post
In my own case, it's not that I don't want my friend to go exactly. I'd go to Disney with her. And I'm certain that the three of us will have a great time. My problem is that when I look back on this, will I regret not having gone just with my mom? And I hate the idea that I would regret anything about this trip.

My mom was very unhappy when I decided to volunteer outside the US and she was even less happy about my decision to volunteer in a post-conflict highly impoverished UN-occupied west African country with an up and coming organization. It was supposed to be a special trip to WDW because Disney has always been special between my mom and I. Now it's a special trip between my mom and I and my friend.

And I hate that I keep hoping that my friend will drop out. I hoped she'd drop when I told her the dates, I hoped that she'd drop when I told her the price, I hoped that she'd drop when we changed our resort to the GF and told her that it would cost an extra $25 a day for her. But I'm now certain that it'll take me telling her that I want to spend the trip with my mom to get her to cancel. And that makes me feel horrible.

We don't go to Disney often. My mom is getting older and it's hard to find time to have a long vacation together. I feel like I'll have dozens of chances to take a vacation with my friend, and very few chances to do something with my mom that we both love.

Wow this is like therapy and I don't know whether I feel better or worse now that I've got it off my chest.

you arent being fair to your mom nor your friend. tell your friend your problem, maybe go a different time or a few days before or after your time with your mom. If she is your friend she will understand. Your mom deserves time with you without a 3rd wheel around

Tags
dis boards, experience, fun times, vacation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: