Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
EUROPA
Registered

Universal Domination?

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/archives...universal.html

Jim Hill latest article on Universal and Disney...

Found this intresting...
Quote:
Speaking of Peter Jackson: Here's one reason that Disney's infamous Imagineers envy the folks at Universal Creative: Universal has the theme park rights to use all of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" characters to build new shows and rides around. And here's another reason why Mickey gets jealous whenever anyone ever brings up Universal: You know J.K. Rowling's highly popular "Harry Potter" series. Universal Studios has the theme park rights to all of those characters as well
EUROPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Why does Universal have the rights to Either of those? they are both Warner Products, shouldn't they go to Six Flaggs?

If DIsney wanted Harry Potter or LotR rides, they should have bought the movie rights.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Captain Crook
U wanna Iguana?

Disney would have liked Harry Potter. ME was very upset that they didn't have a chance to bid on them. Universal outsmarted him and negotiated a deal with JK Rowling without any other bids being taken...

Old 08-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #4
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

I think one of Disney's film distributors could have handled LotR or Harry Potter, but I don't know that I see these as 'Disney' fare and am not sure they would make for 'Disney' rides. Too much sorcery and fantasy, and not the Fantasyland like fantasy if you know what I mean. Yeah, I know, The Sorcerors Apprentice - but this was a Mickey cartoon, not 'real' sorcery. Maybe it's just that we are not fans of LotR or Harry Potter.
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
YoHo

DisneyKidds, the Black Cauldron was based on Loyyd Alexander's work which was heavily influenced by Tolkien. So, in fact they do have ties to that kind of fantasy.

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 08-22-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Captain Crook
U wanna Iguana?

Does the Black Cauldron seem like a genre Disney should be anxious to get back into?
Old 08-22-2002, 05:19 PM   #7
All Aboard
Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas

Captain, I ask myself that question each and every day. More Gurgi, I say, more Gurgi! John Byner needs the work!
All Aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:22 PM   #8
YoHo

Hey, it could be a great realm to be into, the problem is that The book of three is too little too late in 2002.

Unless they go live action...

www.july171955.com

Old 08-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #9
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...
Often has info before the 'other boards'

At the risk of fanning the flames:
Quote:
Too much sorcery and fantasy, and not the Fantasyland like fantasy if you know what I mean.
What about the sea witch in the Little Mermaid, the enchantress in Beauty & the Beast, the Genie in Aladdin, or even Tinkerbelle in Peter Pan and the Evil Queen in Snow White? Sorcery and Magic are Disney's stock and trade, winding in and out of a variety of their films.

The only real difference is that most of these are 'fairy tales' that have been around for a very long time, in one form or another. Harry Potter, especially, is just another type of fairy tale, just more recent. And, just to add to the mix, if you read Rowling, there's very little actual magic occuring in her books. Tolkein is a more elaborate 'fairy tale', again with little actual magic occurring in the storyline.

JMHO.

Sarangel
Sarangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:31 PM   #10
Bob O
Voice of Reason
Go Hawks Go!
I'm not a republican, I'm a conservative!!!

Apparently disney doesnt want to be involved in succesful films like LOTR or Harry Potter which can easily be used for synergy, their favorite buzzword. I guess instead why Universal has these films to use as vehicles for rides/attractions disney can use films like Reign of Fire and Bad Company. Not to hard to see why will more than likely be more successful.
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:37 PM   #11
Captain Crook
U wanna Iguana?

Reread my post Bob...:D
Old 08-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I hardly think that the genre is that important anyway. When I look at MGM, I see a variety of stories many of which have little to do with the traditional Disney story.

I sure do wish that Disney could have done something with either one of these films. And I don't mean a spinner but a good dark ride would have been super.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:39 PM   #13
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Hopefully Eisner will be smart and consider cutting his losses on ABC by selling it, and putting WDW in position to compete with Universal. Some other assets should probably be dumped. Let's get lean and mean, and I don't mean by downsizing people.

Isn't Diller the one who values others' input and puts good managers in place?
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:59 PM   #14
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

Quote:
At the risk of fanning the flames:
Come on, isn't that what we are here for .

Most of the Disney features have a villain - they are essential to a good story. Good story is essential for good show - just ask Baron. However, I think that LotR and HP are different.

All the things you mention - yes, Ursula conjures up a potion, the witch poisons the apple, the enchantress casts the spell on Beast, Tinkerbell - well she is harmless. But look at them all - they are simply one element to the story. While there is sorcery and magic, it is limited - it serves an important purpose - but it is not the focus. Heck, the enchantress is back-story. In all the films you mention the focus is on romance, relationships, choices, morals and the like - with the sorcery and magic forcing some of those choices, but not acting as a main focus of the story. Does that make any sense?

How are LotR and HP different? Well, the sorcery and magic is THE story, or at least such an integral part that is continually seen and focused on. Sure, there may be romance, relationships, choices, morals - but at best (from my perspective) they are on equal footing with the sorcery and magic, at worst they are secondary. To me it is classic fairy tale vs. new age lore. The classic fairy tale appeal to the masses - the new age lore doesn't.

Another thing that represents a big difference. In the films you mention it is the villain that performs the sorcery and the magic. In LotR and HP it is the hero - heck, it is everybody. That just doesn't seem 'Disney' to me.

Ah - what do I know? Baron likes to point out I don't have a clue what 'Disney' is. If he comes to play on this thread I'm sure I'll get an ear full - he likes LotR and HP.

Last edited by DisneyKidds; 08-22-2002 at 10:14 PM.
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:44 PM   #15
JCO
Earning My Ears

DisneyKidds:

"The classic fairy tale appeal to the masses - the new age lore doesn't."

I wouldn't call Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter new age lore, but it sure seems to me they appeal to the masses. Book sales and movie receipts prove that. LOTR has been around for decades and has staying power. We'll see if Harry Potter does, but I think it will.
I think they will also be very popular attractions at Universal theme parks.

I believe Disney would love to have the opportunity to base rides on either property, but maybe not?

True, there would be a fundamentalist element up in arms about basing attractions on magic use, but those factions are already mad at Disney over a myriad of other issues — and many have already boycotted Disney. But that's another story.
JCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: