Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #31
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Err...yes driving...is there any other way to get around?
[seriously I don't know how to do a trip without a car now]

I'm liking this I 92 Stamford idea...
I know the family (who I guess get a bit of a say) like Monterey too so that direction might be the go.
Otherwise the Missions hunt...
I have information overload!!
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #32
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Sedona seems a bit tooooo far to go...we have already done Death Valley, Grand Canyon etc
I could spend weeks exploring the desert areas though...
I have a whole list of places to visit in the desert still...
Queenie, can I ask your opinion on Death Valley. We are planning on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite next September. We will have 2 stops, probably Furnace Creek and somewhere around Mammoth Lakes. Our kids will be 6, 5 and 2 so we are trying to limit the mileage per day.

Sedona is beautiful. I went there many years ago. Would love to go back but it is so far out of the way.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Queenie, can I ask your opinion on Death Valley. We are planning on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite next September. We will have 2 stops, probably Furnace Creek and somewhere around Mammoth Lakes. Our kids will be 6, 5 and 2 so we are trying to limit the mileage per day.

Sedona is beautiful. I went there many years ago. Would love to go back but it is so far out of the way.
Death Valley is beautiful.
I would definitely have a look there.

I will be honest in saying that it has been quite a while since we were there and my fondest memories are of Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyon. But I would definitely go to Death Valley if taking this drive.

Looked up Stanford University last night and it is Beautiful! We have been to Harvard and MIT so adding this to the list sounds like a great idea!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #34
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Thanks Queenie! We are looking forward to it. Would like to go to the canyon's but will leave that for another time.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #35
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Death Valley is beautiful.
I would definitely have a look there.

I will be honest in saying that it has been quite a while since we were there and my fondest memories are of Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyon. But I would definitely go to Death Valley if taking this drive.

Looked up Stanford University last night and it is Beautiful! We have been to Harvard and MIT so adding this to the list sounds like a great idea!
Check out the Rodin at Stanford!

Also check out Notre Dame de Namur. I've only ever driven past from Belmont on the way to the 92 and it is a much smaller campus; but what you can see of the buildings from the road looks great as well.
If you are taking a slow drive, and you are travelling with gardeners, then check out Filoli House and Gardens. It will only be a little bit out of your way from Stanford. I've always driven past and wanted to stop; but my son has never wanted to go. Maybe next trip...

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #36
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Just remembered something that is in San Francisco

The Walt Disney Family Museum
104 Montgomery St., The Presidio of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA, 94129

Hours

wednesday-monday: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
closed every tuesday and on january 1, july 4,
thanksgiving day, and december 25

Admission

admission for all is by timed-entry ticket
timed-entry tickets are available online up to 60 days in advance
timed-entry tickets may not be available at the door
members: free
adults: $20:00
seniors (over 65): $15:00
students with valid I.D.: $15:00
children ages 6-17: $12.00
under age 6 free with adult admission

http://www.waltdisney.org

Here are maps to it someone has put up:
http://www.batw.org/news/batw-news/m...family-museum/
Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #37
zaccy
Mouseketeer

jelly belly factory tour

Has anyone done a tour of the jelly belly factory?

I found it while looking at things on the net to do with San francisco. It would mean we would have to hire a car for a day to go as that would be cheaper than public transport for us all. I think my kids would really like it but would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there
zaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #38
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaccy View Post
Has anyone done a tour of the jelly belly factory?

I found it while looking at things on the net to do with San francisco. It would mean we would have to hire a car for a day to go as that would be cheaper than public transport for us all. I think my kids would really like it but would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there
We've done it multiple times.
It's loads of fun and you get a free sample bag

You get to go in and around and see the jelly beans go through their processes and get packaged etc.

They have heaps in the store as well including 'mistakes' that taste just as good but can only be sold as seconds. They are really cheap. You get ones that are stuck together etc...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #39
PrincessInOz
in

I've done it once and it is a FASCINATING tour. You're not allowed to take pictures inside the factory but you get to see how the jelly is made, how it is then coated and packaged up. I'd recommend it anytime.

Just be aware that this is a very popular tourist attraction and you may have to queue for an hour; and tours run every 5 -10 minutes. There is a maximum number of people that they allow to go on each tour. I recommend that you get there as early as possible so that you don't have to wait.

The store is amazing.....and don't forget to take a look at the candy corn. The jelly bellies are better.

And I did post a picture of jelly belly art in an earlier post....(just double checked. It's at the bottom of post 12.)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 07-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #40
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Any advice for Accommodation in Fisherman's wharf?
We have stayed at the same place a few times which used to be good but are looking for something else.

We want at least 2 Queen beds.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #41
PrincessInOz
in

I've never stayed in Fisherman's Wharf; but my in-laws seem to like Marriott.

I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency near the Ferry Building. Not sure if they have Q/Q configurations; but it was a great location. Just a little bit of a walk into the downtown area; and you can catch the F-line or a bus to Fisherman's Wharf.

I think some of the other Aussies Dis-ers travelling in Jan 2011 have booked accommodation in Fisherman's Wharf....perhaps they can provide better advice.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #42
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Queenie, we stayed at Holiday Inn Express (not to be confused with the Holiday Inn). The only thing is, I can't remember if it had 2 queens. They have a great breakfast buffet (cereal, toast, fruit and of course the pastries). I am hoping to stay there again next year.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #43
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Queenie, we stayed at Holiday Inn Express (not to be confused with the Holiday Inn). The only thing is, I can't remember if it had 2 queens. They have a great breakfast buffet (cereal, toast, fruit and of course the pastries). I am hoping to stay there again next year.
Thanks for the suggestion! All suggestions taken on board
I hadn't specifically looked up the HI Express yet. Only the HI....and about all the others in that pier 39 area.
Currently I'm getting closer to the Russian Hill area in search of something with 2q and affordable.

HIE have a most curious room option of 2 doubles and a queen sofa!
We would have to go this option to stay here as the only other option is 2 doubles or 1 queen.
Not a bargain...but I guess tolerable.
BUT....parking charges...valet only...$43 a NIGHT!!!!
The location is bang on...but this is INSANE!!!

Where we used to stay was a motel style which had always been a good budget option, simple but clean, perfect location with free parking but last time (for the first time) I had a nightmare getting to sleep with road noise and idling buses. So we have crossed off ALL like that off the list. Of course this increases the cost significantly!! [especially parking...some are as much as $47 a NIGHT ]

It looks like a great place though...

PrincessinOz....no worries I checked out the the marriots but sadly 2doubles only...
Haven't gotten to the 'ferry building' yet
I really like the FW area.
I don't like staying in Union Square...just not my thing. I need to be near my seals

Last edited by queenie82; 07-10-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: found out parking charge!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #44
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HIE have a most curious room option of 2 doubles and a queen sofa!
We would have to go this option to stay here as the only other option is 2 doubles or 1 queen.
Not a bargain...but I guess tolerable. Still need to check parking rates. But the location is bang on.
Any traffic noise? I notice it isn't a high rise...about 5 floors???
We had a room at the front overlooking the street, and I do not recall traffic noise. If it was bad, I would have remembered. We were on the 3rd floor. You are right, it is not a high rise. The layout of the hotel is rather bizarre and reminded us of being on a cruise ship. It had a nautical feel about it, with porthole windows. I do remember the parking fee was rather nasty, as are all the hotels in the area. I usually book accommodation direct with the hotel or with expedia, but we got a great rate using Qantas Holidays.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #45
PrincessInOz
in

Sadly, hotel accommodation with free parking is a dying breed in San Francisco.

The alternative is the Marina district; but you'd have to find parking as well. There are quite a few motels along Lombard Street between Van Ness and Fillmore. Some are better than others and may include free parking. But these are real budget places.

Depending on budget and if you want to be close to the sea (the seals will be out there....somewhere), anywhere between Pacific and Half Moon Bay could be nice. You'd have to come into the Downtown; and still have to pay for parking; but if you picked a spot near public transport (BART or CalTrain or Muni), you'd be able to get in and out reasonably easily.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: