Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #31
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbenson View Post
We are at different resorts because it will be difficult for my father to walk all the parks.He and my mother are staying at the CR when they do MK,the rest of the time he will spend at Epcot or boating,so the BC or YC makes sense. We will just have the kids play in the sand,or call a cab to pick up my parents up from my resort and drive them back to their resort.
It will just be difficult for them.
I did post earlier that changing resorts is an option,but I wanted to get the offical word from Disney before changing resorts.
Info I was looking for, was other specific areas,or activities near by,a grassy open area to allow the kids to run, picnic tables they could color at etc...Maybe I was not clear. People seem to be fixated on telling me Disney's rules.
Not how to get to speak with someone who can accomadate or deny my request. Or provide other options of alternate meeting places,that may not be advertised,but previous resort guest would be aware of.
**Also when you pay for concierge planning,I do expect it be done 180 days in advance so we can get all the seating we want.I cannot have it done by October if we have not booked yet,and Disney will not say when we will be able to book,the rep said it maybe as late as December,and they only know a day or two prior.
I understand as a newbie to Disney World it can be overwhelming for it is not like vacations anywhere else.

I am still confused though as to why having your parents somewhere other than where you are is going to help your Dad with his walking. Transportation to all the parks is only as far away as the nearest boat, bus or monorail.

I honestly and this is based on many, many trips think you are adding to your frustration by having your group in different places. I would seriously consider picking one place and staying there. I think you are going to spend alot of time trying to get together. It is very easy to get to Epcot on the monorail at the Contemporary and will certainly be less walking than staying at the Yacht and Beach and walking to Epcot.

As to concierge at Disney, it is highly over rated and expensive for what you get. If you wait for them to make your ADRs you are not going to get in some of the more desirable and busy places.

As to how to speak to someone that can accommidate or deny your pool request we have all stated that the lifeguard on the day of the visit is the only way. I am sorry that does not allow you to plan ahead but, it is what it is.

There are beach sand areas at BC/YC and the Contemporary. Just do not allow the kids near the water, as there are snakes and alligators in them.

Last edited by Sammie; 06-09-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
Each Disney Resort is its own business unit. The entire Disney World Property is not one resort. That said.... I have a suggestion. I don't remember if you ever said when you're coming... but..... you might want to RENT points and stay at a DVC resort property. You are still considered staying "on points" as long as you are using points, and it doesn't matter if they're your points or another members points. A new option, but I am not sure if this new option applies to non-members, but it is now possible to rent developer points. Those rent at $13.00 per point. If you rent from another human member, not the developer entity, you can negotiate the rate. i.e. members can rent their points out of however many points they want to. If you rent from a member, you pay them and they make the reservation through member services FOR YOU. You would be able to all stay in the same villa (if you choose a 2 or 3 bedroom villa or a 3 bedroom treehouse villa). A 2 bedroom at SSR sleeps 8, the Tree house 9, AKV villas 2 bedroom sleeps 9, a 3 bedroom can fit up to 12. They all allow you to add a small child in a crib and not count them. If you stay DVC on points, you can then pool hop, but additionally, you can do BLT (at the contemporary) or Wilderness Lodge Villas and be on the MK monorail line. You can stay in BWV and BCV and be near EPCOT. It might be the best option for you. Check out the DISboards, trade/rent board.
Your post is somewhat confusing. The "developer points" you are talking about are only available to members and they are limited to 24 points for $15 a point. There aren't any "developer points" available to non-members.

If you rent a reservation from a member, you are not entitled to any member perks like pool hopping. So the OP can't rent a reservation and expect to pool hop to another resort, especially BC/YC - no pool hopping there.

Finally, if the OP is looking to book at Spring Break or Easter, they will have a difficult time getting a DVC reservation this late. Most members have already made their reservations 11 months out for this time.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Your post is somewhat confusing. The "developer points" you are talking about are only available to members and they are limited to 24 points for $15 a point. There aren't any "developer points" available to non-members.

If you rent a reservation from a member, you are not entitled to any member perks like pool hopping. So the OP can't rent a reservation and expect to pool hop to another resort, especially BC/YC - no pool hopping there.

Finally, if the OP is looking to book at Spring Break or Easter, they will have a difficult time getting a DVC reservation this late. Most members have already made their reservations 11 months out for this time.
Oh... ok... I didn't recall whether the developer points were restricted. Remember, what I"m reading is for members so it might not say or I might not catch what doesn't apply to me. And I read $13 per point, but then I remember it saying there was fees per point bringing it to $15.00 per point.

I did not know that pool hopping is not available to non-members... I thought if you were staying on points... but then again.. I'm a member whether my points are mine or combined with someone else's. It makes sense to me to keep pool hopping for members. If there weren't additional perks over renting... why would someone buy? Of course, I think buying is the best return on investment out there! But that's me!

I did not recall when the OP was planning his vacation. I thought I mentioned pool hopping black out dates? Sorry if I forgot. If the OP is going during Spring Break, and he and his parents do not stay in the same resort... the OP will severely regret it. We went during this past spring break and it was insanely mobbed. We were able to pool hop, even though it is normally blacked out because we were a guest of a guest and the lifeguard was ok with it. It was a little cool, in fact, I had a sweater on and only the kids swam. The pool heater had been broken all morning and had only been on for a hour or so... the pool was very empty. I guess that's why the parks were mobbed! Good day for parks, too cool for the pool. I realize that the OP is not a member... so I'm adding that story only to highlight that it is current conditions and only that, that will allow a lifeguard to make a decision on pool guesting at that moment only. DVC or not.
Anyway, when it is insanely mobbed, you will spend or shall I say waste alot of time just getting from point A to point B. It would not recommend splitting up the family during a busy time.

Last edited by Mindy5767; 06-09-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: additional information
Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #34
nbenson
Earning My Ears

Thanks

We were thinking it(BC or YC) would be easier and closer for my dad to get back to his main oxygen tank,and breathing machine, from Epcot. He also wants to stay there,only resort he has not stayed at.I did not think about the monorail running to Epcot.Thanks!!
Last visit at GF kids were all DHS, MK and waterparks! So we did not do Epcot,we drove,ate dinner there, and did Illuminations.
We are a part of a 40-46 person LARGE family trip.Our family is just 11 of the people,going.Other family members (my aunts and uncles,younger single cousins)will be staying at the BC,BW or YC also,so they will be doing activities with others aside from my sister and I.
We may have to reconsider, My sister suggested we watch all the nighttime shows seperate from the others,and the electrical barge pagent, for time away from the group and park hustle and bustle.
Thanks!!!
nbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #35
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
We were thinking it(BC or YC) would be easier and closer for my dad to get back to his main oxygen tank,and breathing machine, from Epcot. He also wants to stay there,only resort he has not stayed at.I did not think about the monorail running to Epcot.Thanks!!
Last visit at GF kids were all DHS, MK and waterparks! So we did not do Epcot,we drove,ate dinner there, and did Illuminations.
We are a part of a 40-46 person LARGE family trip.Our family is just 11 of the people,going.Other family members (my aunts and uncles,younger single cousins)will be staying at the BC,BW or YC also,so they will be doing activities with others aside from my sister and I.
We may have to reconsider, My sister suggested we watch all the nighttime shows seperate from the others,and the electrical barge pagent, for time away from the group and park hustle and bustle.
Thanks!!!
40-46 people!! I hope you're working with the folks at Grand Gatherings. They're the experts in coordinating everything for large groups. If you're not already working with them, call Disney's main number and ask for Grand Gatherings. Also... don't forget that Disney is A#1 in accommodating people with special needs. You father with his oxygen is a special need, so do let Disney know what he will need. There is also a special needs board on the disboards where you can probably get some good advice from other's who have been in the same situation. Good luck

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #36
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks!!!
Yes getting away from that large of a group some of the time is probably a good idea.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #37
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Yes getting away from that large of a group some of the time is probably a good idea.
Heck I just traveled with 2 other people.. and *I* needed breaks!!

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #38
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Does the definition of pool-hopping include USING the pool only or sitting near it as well?

I ask for two reasons: If someone is visiting you at your resort, you can use the public areas to sit and chat but is that acceptable at the pool area (like using a table) but your guests DON'T SWIM?

Another reason I ask is that there are people that use the chairs and beach area near the pool at the Poly who do not stay there (like to watch EWP or Fireworks) and while they are not swimming, they are using a feature of the resort. It appears to be an 'acceptable' norm but I didn't know if this was covered under any Disney rules.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #39
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Does the definition of pool-hopping include USING the pool only or sitting near it as well?

I ask for two reasons: If someone is visiting you at your resort, you can use the public areas to sit and chat but is that acceptable at the pool area (like using a table) but your guests DON'T SWIM?

Another reason I ask is that there are people that use the chairs and beach area near the pool at the Poly who do not stay there (like to watch EWP or Fireworks) and while they are not swimming, they are using a feature of the resort. It appears to be an 'acceptable' norm but I didn't know if this was covered under any Disney rules.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
At Stormalong Bay, you can't enter the pool enclosure without a room ID showing you are currently a guest at the YC/BC/BCV. So they include using the chairs.

If a guest at the Polynesian, can't sit by the water to watch the EWP or the fireworks at the MK, because non-guests are using all the chairs, my guess is that those guests would think the non-guests are pool hopping.

It comes down to the fact if you are taking something away from a guest who paid to use it and you didn't pay to use it, you are in the wrong. If no one complains and there are extras available, then it isn't wrong until the guest who paid to use it can't.

That's why they do check room ID's at the Polynesian during some of the busy times like 4th of July and New Year's Eve.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #40
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
At Stormalong Bay, you can't enter the pool enclosure without a room ID showing you are currently a guest at the YC/BC/BCV. So they include using the chairs.

If a guest at the Polynesian, can't sit by the water to watch the EWP or the fireworks at the MK, because non-guests are using all the chairs, my guess is that those guests would think the non-guests are pool hopping.

It comes down to the fact if you are taking something away from a guest who paid to use it and you didn't pay to use it, you are in the wrong. If no one complains and there are extras available, then it isn't wrong until the guest who paid to use it can't.

That's why they do check room ID's at the Polynesian during some of the busy times like 4th of July and New Year's Eve.
Thank you for the response!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #41
debraW76
DIS Veteran

Can someone please tell me which pools are sandy bottom pools like at SAB? We stayed at the YC a few years back and loved the sandy bottom pool. I was just wondering if that is the only one or if other resorts also have the sandy bottom?

TIA
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraW76 View Post
Can someone please tell me which pools are sandy bottom pools like at SAB? We stayed at the YC a few years back and loved the sandy bottom pool. I was just wondering if that is the only one or if other resorts also have the sandy bottom?

TIA
We've stayed at many resorts (they are listed in my signature) and I do not recall any other pools having a sand-bottom like SAB.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #43
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck123 View Post
We've stayed at many resorts (they are listed in my signature) and I do not recall any other pools having a sand-bottom like SAB.
What about Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? Do either of those have a sand bottomed area?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #44
rcdisney61171
Earning My Ears

Cool POOL HOPPING IN GENERAL... why?

Overly frequent Deluxe Disney resort guest here. I've never truly understood the desire to "pool hop", in terms of traveling from one resort to the other to experience the same body of water wrapped in a different theme.
I CAN understand visiting other resorts, viewing the grounds, the theming... even the pools. I CAN understand taking pictures there or getting ideas on where you might like to stay next time. I just can't fathom why someone would go out of their way to actually swim in a pool that is not their own resort's.
There was only one case, in which I was interested at all in even viewing a different pool area, which was Kidani Village's new water play area. Yet my family (me, wife, 2 kids) were staying at AKL Jambo House, and was offered to go over and check it out from various cast members. Needless to say we never did, nor was it a huge priority to do so. I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed it a great deal, but I can't for the life of me figure out why adults feel the desire to actually romp around property looking for the "cool" pool to wade around in, doing much the same thing (sightseeing) as they would just visiting the resort.

Can someone please explain the interest in this?
rcdisney61171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdisney61171 View Post
Overly frequent Deluxe Disney resort guest here. I've never truly understood the desire to "pool hop", in terms of traveling from one resort to the other to experience the same body of water wrapped in a different theme.
I CAN understand visiting other resorts, viewing the grounds, the theming... even the pools. I CAN understand taking pictures there or getting ideas on where you might like to stay next time. I just can't fathom why someone would go out of their way to actually swim in a pool that is not their own resort's.
There was only one case, in which I was interested at all in even viewing a different pool area, which was Kidani Village's new water play area. Yet my family (me, wife, 2 kids) were staying at AKL Jambo House, and was offered to go over and check it out from various cast members. Needless to say we never did, nor was it a huge priority to do so. I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed it a great deal, but I can't for the life of me figure out why adults feel the desire to actually romp around property looking for the "cool" pool to wade around in, doing much the same thing (sightseeing) as they would just visiting the resort.

Can someone please explain the interest in this?
Sometimes the themeing of a resort makes a real difference in the atmosphere and mood it puts someone in. Some pools are more relaxing than others. I personally love the quiet pool Grandstand at SSR. Its my favorite. But we'll be staying at the Pop on our next trip, so I'm not sure we'll make it to SSR. It is our HOME Resort though.. and we've stayed there enough that it feels like home! Some people might like the slides at other pools. For instance, that maniacal clown slide at Boardwalk is appealing to some people. scares me to bits!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: