Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #211
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"
 
daisyduck123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post

My chief question is can a guest staying in a grand villa (OKW) with me pool hop if I am not with them (or even if I am)? [other than of course the restricted pools or dates]
I have never, and would never, pool hop without my blue member card. While pool hopping, a lifeguard could ask you to present your card. I would never send my "guests" off to pool hop without me as they would not have a blue member card. Just something to think about.
__________________
July 2014 BCV
July 2013 AKV/SSR July 2012 BCV/AKV June 2011 AKV/BCV Jan. 2011 SSR July 2010 OKW/BCV/BLT July 2009 BCV/AKV Jan. 2009 CBR/SSR July 2008 AKV/BCV Dec. 2007 AKV
Aug 2007 Dolphin/BCV May 2007 SSR May 2006 CBR
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #212
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal
 
crostorfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
Posts: 2,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
Is this true (that guests of a member are not entitled to member perks)? When I went to the DVC site, the pool hopping info there says my guests can. To be clear I mean literal guests, people staying with me in the villa on my points while I am there with them.

My kids don't have member cards in their names, are they not allowed to pool hop? Is it only immediately family? We're traveling with in-laws, can my wife (a named member) count her parents as immediate family? What about her brother (or his kids, etc...)?

Can they hop if I am with them to show my card but not on their own?

We're going later this year and I would like to know what to tell my guests. Every time I've gone before the key (everyone in the groups) said DVC Member on them.

If this is true does it mean they won't be able to check DVDs out for free either?

This post that you quoted wasn't in reference to people staying in a Villa with a DVC member, it was in reference to someone purchasing points from a DVC member and staying on their own. As far as the policy goes, I believe that your guests staying in your Villa with you are allowed to hop as long as it isn't in a DVC blackout period.

I pulled this from the DisUnplugged Blog on the home page:

"This policy seems pretty clear, but again there are scenarios where DVC members could make certain interpretations or decisions based on the DVC policy. What if the family staying on DVC points invites a couple of guests not staying on points to pool hop with them? They head over to a crowded Polynesian Volcano pool where the non-DVC guests grab a couple of lounge chairs and enjoy all the amenities that pool has to offer. They are guests of the DVC members staying on points. Is this appropriate? Some DVC members would say yes and some would say “absolutely not”. The DVC pool hopping policy does mention guests staying inside the room or villa can pool hop, but there really isn’t any language about guests. This problem could potentially be solved if the family staying on points asks a lifeguard or Cast Member for permission when they enter the pool area. Depending on the crowds and the time of year they may grant or deny you permission. If you are denied permission just remember the Cast Members are only trying to control crowds and make it safe and enjoyable for the legitimate resort guests."
__________________
WDW: Apr 95', Sept 10', May 11', Sept 11', Aug 12', Mar 14' Oct 14'
DL: Feb 13'
US/IoA: Sept 10', Aug 12' Oct 14'

crostorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #213
gwmort
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck123 View Post
I have never, and would never, pool hop without my blue member card. While pool hopping, a lifeguard could ask you to present your card. I would never send my "guests" off to pool hop without me as they would not have a blue member card. Just something to think about.
Its not so much sending them off without me as it is telling them what they are able to do. In the past my family has stepped out of MK at the hottest part of the day and dropped by for a dip in the GF pool rather than haul all the way back to OKW. We find its a big roomy pool that isn't too fancy so the demand isn't terrible.

We are 3 families staying in a grand villa, there are going to be times we are not all together.
gwmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #214
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership
 
Mindy5767's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashburn, Virginia
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
Its not so much sending them off without me as it is telling them what they are able to do. In the past my family has stepped out of MK at the hottest part of the day and dropped by for a dip in the GF pool rather than haul all the way back to OKW. We find its a big roomy pool that isn't too fancy so the demand isn't terrible.

We are 3 families staying in a grand villa, there are going to be times we are not all together.
"guests" that are staying with you in your DVC resort on points ARE allowed to pool hop with you. Guests that join you for the day that are not staying in your villa are NOT allowed to pool hop. I am a DVC member, I have a member card. Because my membership is in my revocable living trust, my husband is "technically" not an owner. Although he is a substitute trustee of my trust, I have not yet successfully convinced Disney Development corporation that this unintentional exclusion due to estate planning wording on a trust should be overlooked and a card issued to my husband... that said neither my husband nor any of my children, have been denied any DVC member privileges.

another thing... once time, we were staying in a 2 bedroom villa on my points with friends of ours. We were able to pool hop, to the Grand Floridian, during a pool hopping black-out period. It was during spring break, but it was a cooler day. We were the only people in the pool, so the lifeguard didn't have a problem with it.
__________________
Me DHDD25DS22DD11


Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #215
dawne98
DIS Veteran
 
dawne98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami Fl
Posts: 588

we went in Sept and had two nights at AKV and we loved the Samawati Springs Pool with slide and my 4 year old had the best time at Uwanja Camp. AT NO TIME did anyone ask to see our card, ok with that being said I have to ask we are going up in a week and going to be at OKW and the 1st night going to Poly for dinner can we go to the pool at the Poly that night and also on the day we go home we are going to 1900 PF and wanted to go in the pool b4 going home at the GF can we do this? I am sorry if this has been asked but I just don't have the time to go and read all the info lol
BTW b4 my family was DVCM we had gone to Ohana's for breakfast and b4 going home we let DD's go in the pool NO ONE asked us anything now this was 7 years ago.
dawne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #216
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,636

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawne98 View Post
we went in Sept and had two nights at AKV and we loved the Samawati Springs Pool with slide and my 4 year old had the best time at Uwanja Camp. AT NO TIME did anyone ask to see our card, ok with that being said I have to ask we are going up in a week and going to be at OKW and the 1st night going to Poly for dinner can we go to the pool at the Poly that night and also on the day we go home we are going to 1900 PF and wanted to go in the pool b4 going home at the GF can we do this? I am sorry if this has been asked but I just don't have the time to go and read all the info lol
BTW b4 my family was DVCM we had gone to Ohana's for breakfast and b4 going home we let DD's go in the pool NO ONE asked us anything now this was 7 years ago.
No, you are only allowed to use the pool at your own resort. The Poly has become more strict as of late, and are doing resort ID checks. I could be imagining things, but I could swear I saw a post about them having wrist-bands lately at the Poly pool too.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #217
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership
 
Mindy5767's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashburn, Virginia
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
No, you are only allowed to use the pool at your own resort. The Poly has become more strict as of late, and are doing resort ID checks. I could be imagining things, but I could swear I saw a post about them having wrist-bands lately at the Poly pool too.
While that is true... it doesn't mean that you DVC members can't use the Poly pool... it just means we have to ask the lifeguard for a wristband. It IS still on the pool hopping list. Have your DVC membership card AND your resort room ID with you. If you are staying at a non-DVC resort you don't get pool hopping. GF isn't that strict, but there pool isn't so special, so it doesn't get high demand. The lifeguard always has the final say based on crowds. Its coming up on the busy season, so you'll have to see how busy it is. Also be mindful that during the week before and after Easter, it is blocked out officially.
__________________
Me DHDD25DS22DD11


Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #218
dawne98
DIS Veteran
 
dawne98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami Fl
Posts: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
While that is true... it doesn't mean that you DVC members can't use the Poly pool... it just means we have to ask the lifeguard for a wristband. It IS still on the pool hopping list. Have your DVC membership card AND your resort room ID with you. If you are staying at a non-DVC resort you don't get pool hopping. GF isn't that strict, but there pool isn't so special, so it doesn't get high demand. The lifeguard always has the final say based on crowds. Its coming up on the busy season, so you'll have to see how busy it is. Also be mindful that during the week before and after Easter, it is blocked out officially.
we'll be up at WDW next Friday,NO way would I be at WDW during Easter lol
but that's for the info and I'll make sure for us to have our DVCM card and room key
dawne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #219
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
While that is true... it doesn't mean that you DVC members can't use the Poly pool... it just means we have to ask the lifeguard for a wristband. It IS still on the pool hopping list. Have your DVC membership card AND your resort room ID with you. If you are staying at a non-DVC resort you don't get pool hopping. GF isn't that strict, but there pool isn't so special, so it doesn't get high demand. The lifeguard always has the final say based on crowds. Its coming up on the busy season, so you'll have to see how busy it is. Also be mindful that during the week before and after Easter, it is blocked out officially.
Oops. I guess I'm reading that post wrong. I thought the OP was saying they used to be DVC but were not anymore.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #220
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership
 
Mindy5767's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashburn, Virginia
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Oops. I guess I'm reading that post wrong. I thought the OP was saying they used to be DVC but were not anymore.
Oh I don't know.... but if you're not DVC, you can't pool hop at all. And even though I am DVC, it does take a bunch of time to pool hop, so its not always a good use of your time. When staying at SSR, pool hopping to OKW or vice versa isn't bad... the only reason we pool hopped at GF is because we had friends staying there and the girls wanted to swim together. It had been a cooler, but very sunny day, and the pool was basically empty at GF.
__________________
Me DHDD25DS22DD11


Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #221
momn8r0306
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41

I'm staying at a resort that shares facilities with another resort. Can I use the pools there, too?

In most cases, yes.

Guests at Wilderness Lodge and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge can use both pools.





So what about if I am staying at one of the cabins at Ft Wilderness? Can we pool hop to Wilderness Lodge?
__________________
Julie

Me DH DS(9) DD(5)

momn8r0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #222
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,097
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momn8r0306 View Post
I'm staying at a resort that shares facilities with another resort. Can I use the pools there, too?

In most cases, yes.

Guests at Wilderness Lodge and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge can use both pools.





So what about if I am staying at one of the cabins at Ft Wilderness? Can we pool hop to Wilderness Lodge?
No, FW and WL are two completely separate resorts. They do not share facilities. WL tends to be one of the stricter resorts when it comes to checking resort IDs at the pool, in my experience. I've been asked for ID on a few occasions.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #223
momn8r0306
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41

Thanks, Lynne! I'm sure we'll be perfectly happy with the pools @ Ft Wilderness, but I was just curious
__________________
Julie

Me DH DS(9) DD(5)

momn8r0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #224
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,836

does anyone know about Pop and AOA? I know a lot of people are wondering. i would think disney world officially know this by now.

for all intents and purposes, pop classic years and pop legendary years were supposed to be sister resorts.(hence, the bridge)
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #225
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal
 
crostorfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
Posts: 2,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
does anyone know about Pop and AOA? I know a lot of people are wondering. i would think disney world officially know this by now.

for all intents and purposes, pop classic years and pop legendary years were supposed to be sister resorts.(hence, the bridge)
I think someone stated that although they are connected by a bridge, they are separate resorts and not elgible for pool hopping. Although, I bet A LOT of people try, LOL.
__________________
WDW: Apr 95', Sept 10', May 11', Sept 11', Aug 12', Mar 14' Oct 14'
DL: Feb 13'
US/IoA: Sept 10', Aug 12' Oct 14'

crostorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: