Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

I am camping for teh first time ever at FW. Any tips?

My friend and I live in Miami and decided to just go up for the day. We ended up deciding to stay the night so we don't have to rush around. I decided to stay at FW in order to make use of our new Camping equipment ( a tent and two sleeping bags). This way I get to get a taste of both a resort I never stayed at and the camping experience.

Any tips? Any advice? Do you set up your tent and then go off to the parks and come back at night? Do you set it up at night? How hot does it get at night? Do I bring a fan? Mosquito repellent?

Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
kapoof
DIS Veteran

What time of year will you be going? We camped in a camper with my grandparents a million years ago, before Epcot was built. I was about 10 at the time, it was in July with no air conditioning. : I recall riding the monrail thru the cr and vowing never ever ever to sleep in a tent on vacation ever again.

nuclear misquotes made their way in an attacked my face during the night, so don't even get me started on the bug situation. Also the shared bathroom experience no thanks!
Don't mean to be a downer, but don't be surprised if you don't like camping.
You will find lots of people who camp and love it which will remain a mystery to me.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Im going Sunday night!!!

I normally would not do this but it was a last minute crazy thing. We have other trips planned this year at WDW and they wont take place in a tent. I just figured what better way to get a small taste of camping.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Well it is the most frugal way to go to wdw. It will be hot hot I wish you luck, you might end up enjoying camping

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

It will be like an upgraded version of "Survivor". I have never once slept outdoors. Well except for one time when I was in line for tickets to SNL.
What do I need to take?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
w84no1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
What do I need to take?
A credit card, so you can stay somewhere offsite!

J/K, I would take a light sheet, bug spray and a fan. I have a battery powered fan and it would keep most flying insects away from your face. Use the sleeping bag as a mattress and just sleep with the sheet on, it is going to be hot.

I found a battery powered fan that is attached to a spray bottle that could be used also.

Keep the tent zipped up at ALL times to keep the bugs out.

I haven't stayed at Disney in a tent, but I have been camping when it is hot and humid.

w84no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Where can you find a battery operated Fan?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
w84no1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
Where can you find a battery operated Fan?
Don't remember where I got mine, it has been 8 or 9 years.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oduct_rr_1_814

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
w84no1
Mouseketeer

Found some at Walmart also.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...an&cat_id=4125

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
TinCanTee
Earning My Ears

There is a forum on Disboards dedicated to camping at FW http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24 A wealth of info there.

Being from Miami, you are well aware of what FL weather can be like...hot, muggy and possibly stormy. Any sportgoods store should have battery operated fans as well as wally world. Have fun!
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Airship Ariadne
Mouseketeer

Ok, so you have NEVER camped? I haven't camped at WDW, but here are some GENERAL camping tips to help you.

1. Setup your tent and take it down until you understand the steps before you go. BIGGEST mistake rookies make is buying a tent and waiting to set it up when they arrive at a campground. Too easy to make a mistake if you are unfamilier and rushing at it (like the friends of mine that put the rainfly on backwards and ended up soaked on their first trip). On a side note, you will not be able to reroll everything so it fits in the bag on the first try...so don't worry about it too much (I keep my tent poles and rain fly in another bag just bungied to the tent bag, so things are not worth the work).

2. Roasting marshmellows on the fire...try Peeps...the sugar coating gets nice and crusty, it is like a campfire Cremebrule.

3. Bring a jug of water...you NEVER know. Seriously, like your first aid kit, one jug of water just in case.

4. Having a campfire...bring a kitchen fire extinguisher to keep nearby. Never needed to use mine, but again, being prepared for the unexpected will make it a better trip.

5. I buy solar holiday (Halloween mostly, purple ones) light strands. I use these to guide us in the middle of the night towards the restroom (and away from the tent strings which are hard to see at night)...or designated tree if no facilities near). They also (if you use mainly purple of red ones) won't hurt your night vision as much as lanterns...and don't draw in the bugs like lanterns do. On a side note, if you are camping with others, headlamps usually just end up blinding other people, unless you plan on doing some mining stick to flashlights.

6. I bring a small bag of charcoal and a chimney starter and newspaper to get my campfires going. And also always bring a back-up lighter...again, just in case.
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Bring something to put under those sleeping bags. We use a foam kind of mattress pad instead of air mattresses since I always seem to get holes in those. Plus the mattress pad rolls up small.

Bug spray.

Battery operated fan

First aid kit and like a previous poster said if you are going to be cooking, bring a fire extinquisher. I had to use ours once - nearly caught the tent on fire. Ooops.

Flashlight or battery operated lantern.

We put a little bathroom rug inside the entrance to our tent and an outdoor rug right outside the door. It helped with catching any dirt from being tracked into the tent.

Towel/washcloth for the bathroom.

We like to bring mini lights to hang around our tent area so we can find it easily at night. The last time we used solar lights that we put in the ground and those didn't work as well for us.

For one night, you don't need to go all out but having a few basics will make it easier. We used to camp lots in our tent but haven't in a couple of years.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Disney does a great job controlling mosquitoes so don't take advice based on camping other places.

Definitely go over to the camping forum. You will find lots of helpful people there.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: