Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
MamaMinni
Earning My Ears

What's too old for a stroller?

My DD's will be 5 1/2 and 7 when we go for 2 weeks in the fall. My 7 year old is already asking if we're going to bring 2 strollers like we did last year...is 7 too old for a stroller? We would need to gate check both at the airport, but the benefit would be the "non battles" between the sisters about whose turn it is to ride. ahhh!

MamaMinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Inurdrems9
Mouseketeer

Inurdrems9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
BBG-BLT
Bunch of Booth-Genthe's

Up to each family - for us 5 is too old because we're old and I figure heck you guys walk and when you're tired we'll all go back to the hotel for a rest. If you can keep going but they can't and you want to keep going then I'd get one.

I need some Magic
BLT Owner since 2009
BBG-BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

We took one stroller for DS4 and DNiece7 in September. However, we took our Pliko, and it has a foot board on the back for a child to stand. The kids had a tiff every now and then, but DNiece was happy to walk more often than not. When she was tired enough to ride, DS was ready to run. And part of the time no one was sitting in it.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Well, there are a LOT of varying opinions about this on the board. Personally, I think if 1. You're willing to lug an extra stroller and 2. Your stroller will hold the 7 year old, do it.
EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

My kids didn't need or want one past age 5. At 5, DS still loved to ride and DD was a sometimes- if she was tired.

Our last trip included a 7 year old, 8 year old, two- 4 year olds, and a 2 year old. The 4 year olds rode some but mostly chose to walk. The two year old loved walking or riding on his dad's shoulders (and his dad was cool with that) and really hated the stroller. Surprisingly, to me, the 7 and 8 year olds rode a lot.

If your DD is asking then you should probably take one for her.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

This is a heated topic, but I really think past the age of 4 most children should be able to walk the parks. Now before everyone jumps on me about hidden disabilities and whatnot, I mean children who do not have any type of developmental, physical or neurological delay or diagnosis.

My kids, who, by the way, are not particularly active at home, all managed to walk the parks from the age of five on. Even in the summer heat. Were they tired at the end of the night? Yes, and so was I. Did their feet hurt sometimes? Yes, and so did mine. Did they whine about waiting fro the bus? Yes, and so did I. Were they grumpy when I woke them up to get off the bus and walk to the hotel room? YES!

I know a lot of folks have expressed the sentiment that it is easier to push their kids in a stroller then have them whine and complain and ruin the families trip, but that is not the way things work here. Here adults make the decisions, and are not, generally, manipulated by children.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
This is a heated topic, but I really think past the age of 4 most children should be able to walk the parks. Now before everyone jumps on me about hidden disabilities and whatnot, I mean children who do not have any type of developmental, physical or neurological delay or diagnosis.

My kids, who, by the way, are not particularly active at home, all managed to walk the parks from the age of five on. Even in the summer heat. Were they tired at the end of the night? Yes, and so was I. Did their feet hurt sometimes? Yes, and so did mine. Did they whine about waiting fro the bus? Yes, and so did I. Were they grumpy when I woke them up to get off the bus and walk to the hotel room? YES!

I know a lot of folks have expressed the sentiment that it is easier to push their kids in a stroller then have them whine and complain and ruin the families trip, but that is not the way things work here. Here adults make the decisions, and are not, generally, manipulated by children.
I agree. Mine never used one past 4. If this middle aged out of shape woman can walk it then kids in the prime of their life can walk it. Mine would never even have thought of a stroller past preschool. To them it is only for toddlers or babies and I agree.
Mine actually weren't grumpy, more like walking zombies back to the room! And they never complained about their feet hurting, and only of being tired when everyone was tired.
With a 5 1/2 and 7 yr old We wouldn't be bringing any strollers.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #9
Michguy04
dad of twins

We are here right now and would be lost without our strollers. Our boys are 6. I picked up some cheap umbrella ones and they have worked out great. They fold easy enough and are very light weight. We brought them right on the plane and they were tagged to go underneath. No problems. I highly recommend them!!!

Carol off to MK today!!!
Michguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Michguy04
dad of twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
Well, there are a LOT of varying opinions about this on the board. Personally, I think if 1. You're willing to lug an extra stroller and 2. Your stroller will hold the 7 year old, do it.
I agree..they are not to old to ride in one. I can't believe the people that let their kids walk!
Michguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
Acklander
DIS Veteran

It really depends on your touring style and your kids. Ours didn't use a stroller past the age of 4 BUT we're not the type to be at the parks from morning till night. Also, before going on vacations we used to go for walks every day to help the kids build up endurance and by the time we were there it wasn't an issue.
You do what works best for you and your kids.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

It really depends on the child, the parent and their family interaction.

Personally I don't care what others do. If it works for them then go for it.

In our family, my youngest kids wouldn't not use a stroller after the age of 4. They went to Disney for the 1st time last year at the age of 6 and had no problems walking everywhere. Using a stroller for them didn't even cross my mind.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
happymommy
DIS Veteran

We took one the last time when my kids were 6 and 8 I think. I was glad to have one, since they both got sick that trip. My DD fell asleep in it, and she was burning up with a fever one afternoon! We were staying at the Dolphin, so I could keep her in it, and we took the boat from MGM back to the room. I don't know how I would have gotten back to the room without the stroller (my DH wasn't with us that trip, but I could have had someone from Disney help me I guess). Turned out she had strep throat (had a doctor come to the room). The stroller really was a life saver that trip!

I think whatever you want to do is fine. Lots of folks don't use them, lots do. My kids didn't use them at home, but we always brought one to Disney until that age. Even when my DD was turning 8, I rented one a couple of days, and she fell asleep in it. She wears out easily; every child is different.

If it's no big deal to bring one, I would do it just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

My kids will be the same ages on our trip and we are going to take one for them to take turns in. That is what we did last year and it worked well. If they were both tired DH put the younger one on his shoulders. We also go to the parks all day and do not go back to the hotel in the middle of the day. Also, we are staying longer this trip. I am going to borrow one from a friend because I sold ours last summer after our trip, since we were not sure when we were going to be able to go back.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Thats up to you...For us ..4yrs old was too old.She never used one at home and I wasn't bringing one with us.We didn't even give her the option.We told her what the expectations were, we explained we would gladly take plenty of breaks and rest if she needed it.We were prepared to go at her pace.She surprised us and had no issues nor complaints...and this was in the heat and humidity of Sept

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: