Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
pixxi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 337

Question best way to sell kids clothes on craigslist

I have tubs of clothes that I am going to sell. Since there are so many pieces, is it best to sell like 5-10 outfits or pieces at a time? It would be too overwheming to sell the whole tubs. Plus I was thinking I may be paid more if I seperate them. I also plan to have a garage sale in a few weeks and will sell the left overs.

Planing on using $ for Disney so it extra motivation to get rid of the stuff but still get a good price.
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun
 
LuLuO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 2,558

I am selling groups. I just sold a group of 2T girls summer clothes which included 20 pieces of t-shirts, dresses, pants, shorts, and sleepwear. I priced it at a dollar a piece and took $15 for the lot. I have a lot of 2T and a lot 3T fall and winter that will be going up soon.

Anything really nice that I have, like a barely used Old Navy coat I will list seperately, but for most everything else I do yard sale prices in groups on CL to get rid of a bunch of stuff at once because it is hard for us to schedule yard sales around all of our other activities.
__________________
"The stories my kids will tell one day depends on me. I am writing their book” - Kellee Hampton
"I work out because I know I would've been the first to die in the Hunger Games." - someecards.com
"Just because I can't do it today, doesn't mean I'm not going to be able to do it someday." - Arthur Boorman
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran
 
wildfan1473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,204

I do groups also. I do anywhere between 15-20 pieces per lot, trying to group like items together, ie, all shorts, all shirts, all pajamas, etc, unless I have matching sets. Anything really nice I try to seperate and sell by itself either on CL or on eBay.
wildfan1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!
 
DisneyAndRedSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey Girl trapped in Massachusetts
Posts: 2,379

If there is a specific brand that people tend to 'collect' (i.e. Gymboree, Hanna Andersson, Gap, etc) make sure you list that as it's own ad on craigslist. People sometimes go nuts over certain brands! I just had a woman spend over $200 at my house on one brand of clothing! Anything left over from the yard sale, I would make a bag of clothes per size and sell it as a lot on Craigslist (ie 20 pieces of 3T summer clothes for $15).
__________________


DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
prncess674
DIS Veteran
 
prncess674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan1473 View Post
I do groups also. I do anywhere between 15-20 pieces per lot, trying to group like items together, ie, all shorts, all shirts, all pajamas, etc, unless I have matching sets. Anything really nice I try to seperate and sell by itself either on CL or on eBay.
I wouldn't try to sell 15 pairs of shorts in one lot.

I would go through and sort by size and brand. Try to make outfits and maybe sell lots. For example 3 shorts, 3 summer shirts, Size 2T, Old Navy.

You can list up to 4 photos per ad on Craigslist so please be descriptive and add photos to get top dollar. I will just skip on ads that are vague or just have a picture of a pile of clothes. If you are just looking to get rid of them then list them like a junk pile, but if you show in the photos that the clothes are well cared for you will do better.

If you live in a large metro area be sure to mention where you are generally located. I am in Washington DC and people will post they are in "DC" but after corresponding you realize that they are 50 miles outside of town. I am not driving 50 miles for a $5 item.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!
 
DisneyAndRedSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey Girl trapped in Massachusetts
Posts: 2,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
You can list up to 4 photos per ad on Craigslist so please be descriptive and add photos to get top dollar. I will just skip on ads that are vague or just have a picture of a pile of clothes. If you are just looking to get rid of them then list them like a junk pile, but if you show in the photos that the clothes are well cared for you will do better.
If you embed pictures from picasaweb into the ad, the sky is the limit on how many pics you can have and you can make them larger than if you upload pics to craigslist.

Load pics onto picasaweb.
When you have the picture up on the screen, it will give you a link, make sure you select "hide link" and change to "large" size.
Copy and paste the weblink into your ad.
Also, when I take the picture I put a card with the size next to the item so when I go to place the ads, it is easy to remember what is what.

Here is an example (I swear I am not trying to sell here, most stuff says "SOLD" next to it! There is only one outfit left and I plan on giving it to a friend next time I go to her beach house.)
http://worcester.craigslist.org/bab/1687153200.html
__________________


DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
prncess674
DIS Veteran
 
prncess674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAndRedSox View Post
If you embed pictures from picasaweb into the ad, the sky is the limit on how many pics you can have and you can make them larger than if you upload pics to craigslist.

Load pics onto picasaweb.
When you have the picture up on the screen, it will give you a link, make sure you select "hide link" and change to "large" size.
Copy and paste the weblink into your ad.
Also, when I take the picture I put a card with the size next to the item so when I go to place the ads, it is easy to remember what is what.

Here is an example (I swear I am not trying to sell here, most stuff says "SOLD" next to it! There is only one outfit left and I plan on giving it to a friend next time I go to her beach house.)
http://worcester.craigslist.org/bab/1687153200.html
I know you can embed, but was just trying to keep it simple. I would have listed each of your separately priced outfits as a different ad. Just a pet peeve when you see one price in the header then you open it up and that is only the price of one item.
If you are going to keep it all in one ad, if an item is sold, edit the ad and delete that photo and description. If it isn't for sale I don't want to look at it.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!
 
DisneyAndRedSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey Girl trapped in Massachusetts
Posts: 2,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
I know you can embed, but was just trying to keep it simple. I would have listed each of your separately priced outfits as a different ad. Just a pet peeve when you see one price in the header then you open it up and that is only the price of one item.
If you are going to keep it all in one ad, if an item is sold, edit the ad and delete that photo and description. If it isn't for sale I don't want to look at it.
normally I delete the sold stuff, I just sold this stuff and edited it so I could show it as an example. I actually just had a huge Hanna Andersson ad, stuff started at $4 (about 10 items) and went up to over $20, unfortunately craigslist won't let you put a range in the dollar amount area so it listed it as $4. People didn't seem to mind too much, one person spent $251 and another bought $70.
__________________


DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: