Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #76
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran
 
Señor DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 574

Great update. Too cool that you could make your own fresh coconut drink.
Señor DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #77
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire
 
ickletarakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 117

Hello, Goodbye

After another quick stop at the Rainforest Room in the spa, Steve and I showered and got ready for dinner. We had originally planned on checking out the Disney Dreams show at 6:15--I had exacted a promise from him that we could--but as it crept close to 5:30 and I realized that I wanted a couple drinks and some shopping time, I told him that we could skip it.

I know, ::gasp:: we did not see one show while we were on this cruise. Do I regret it? A little bit, especially missing this particular show, because I've heard how amazing it is. But we had a nice relaxing evening instead and that, I do not regret.

We started off our free time with drinks in our favorite spot, the Cove Cafe! The guys that worked there were just great throughout the entire cruise, so if you don't check it out, you're missing out!



After a couple of drinks and a long discussion with the bartender about our desire to visit India (he was from there), it was approaching seven-o-clock and I wanted to go shopping! (What girl doesn't?) We had only spent about five minutes in the cruise shops on Thursday night (Steve had purchased a lanyard) but I was debating over one of those Disney Dooney & Bourke purses.

We wandered around the two shops for a bit and they were crowded...I hmmed and hawed over the collection of Dooney & Bourke purses and finally decided to splurge! I had yet to buy anything for myself on this trip and I basically just said "Well, if I buy it here rather than online, I'm saving on shipping!"

This picture is from later, but here is me showing off my purchase!



(Of course, when I came home and posted my pictures, a good friend saw the purse and decided she had to have it...only to visit the Disney website and discover that it was backordered for three months! Ebay prices were over $300, far more than what i paid for it, so she gave up...needless to say, I'm happy I bought the purse on this cruise!)

As we were purchasing our items, we ran into Jonathan and Jen and took some time for a photo shoot before heading off to dinner. Boo to the fact that I didn't take my jacket off...I was freezing thanks to that aforementioned sunburn



Dinner that night was at Animator's Palette, and of course I was excited about this. It was definitely really neat to walk in when everything was black and white and watch the "paintings" change color throughout the evening. I did take a few pictures, but unfortunately none of them came out that well...I only had my little digital camera with me. I should have brought my DSLR but I was sick of lugging the thing around.

I chose the Savory Cheesecake for my appetizer. Honestly, this was a bad choice as I don't like dessert cheesecake anyway. I should have known that I wouldn't be fond of this...ah well.



For my main course I chose the salmon. It was good but again...I don't like peas and that was the main side dish, apparently, so...I wasn't too impressed. Steve had the Asian beef dish and loved it.



(Now, I know I sound super picky, and I hate that. I used to work in the restaurant industry--for over four years, in fact--and I will try anything once. But there are still a few dishes--like peas, cheesecake, mushrooms, baked beans, and a couple others--that i just. can't. stand. Hey, I'm only human.)

I actually didn't even order dessert that night--I really didn't like the options that were on the menu. I know I could have made them go through the trouble of getting me a dessert from another restaurant, but I wasn't hungry for it anyway. As a whole, I just wasn't impressed with either the selection or food quality at Animator's Palate. I had glanced at the Triton's menu at some point and I'm sad that we missed that rather than AP

As we waited for coffee and more drinks, our waiters kept us entertained. We learned over just those two and a half days that the servers on Disney ships love their crayon games--our server at dinner on Thursday and Saturday nights and the server we had at lunch on Friday kept trying to stump us with puzzles. It worked a couple of times, but in general we were just too smart for them.

Here's Steve pretending to puzzle over a puzzle:



When we had been at the Cove Cafe earlier, the bartender had suggested a champagne to us. We asked our server if we could get glasses of it--he had no idea what we were talking about but he and our assistant server went out of their way to contact the bartender from the cafe and figure out where they could find it. I felt bad making them run around like that--we even tried to rescind our order when we realized how difficult it was going to be--but they insisted on getting some for us and it was delicious!

I was, however, surprised that it was RED champagne!



After dinner, we made a quick stop at the room to drop off my gigantic new purse, and found this guy on our bed:



Not really sure why, but he was Steve's favorite towel animal of the trip

After stopping by the future booking desk and getting some quotes, we ended up having a couple more beers at the sports bar and wandering around deck 9 for a bit, but the ship was D E A D. We even stopped at the disco when we realized that everything else was closed...they were actually playing pretty good music but there were only 4-6 young people (I doubt most of them were even 18) dancing on stage. Steve and I had one last beer and headed to bed, knowing that we had to get up early anyway.

The next morning was sad, even more so because we definitely felt as if we didn't have enough time on this cruise! I've only ever done 7-day cruises before this--I never thought three day cruises were long enough, and I was right. We kept talking about that sheet in my purse with the future booking quotes on it but in the end we just had to say "no". The Disney 7-days were out of our price range and even though the 3-day price we got was awesome, we decided we still couldn't justify another short cruise to the same places. We dragged ourselves out of bed to make our 7:45 AM breakfast (I think that's what time we had--as we didn't have a flight to catch and we were late dinner seating). I had a bagel with cream cheese, capers and salmon and it was good. In fact, the breakfast selection at Animator's Palette looked great and I almost ordered two breakfasts, but that would have been going too far against my wedding diet, haha

When we were done eating, we decided to use the bathroom before getting off the ship--but they had shut the flushing on the toilets off! I understand why they have to do this, but it wasn't even 9 AM and I honestly think they jumped the gun. We weren't the only ones who wanted to relieve ourselves before waiting in line to disembark--I can only imagine how annoyed the parents with kids were!

As we left the ship, I saw this sign



and felt a bit sad that we actually aren't going to see Disney Cruise Line anytime soon (and a bit confused as to why Mickey seems to be wearing women's sunglasses)...but I stand by our decision and I'll get into that in my post-cruise report.

Disembarkation wasn't too bad. They did get backed up in the luggage/customs area and we had to wait about 15 minutes before getting off the ship, but once we got down there we were able to grab our luggage and walk right on out without waiting but 10 minutes in line to see the customs agent. The only complaint I had was that the people whose luggage were closer to the agent were allowed to just blend into the line in front of us, which did cause a sort of cluster--err--issue for a few minutes. Honestly, they should have just had to go back and get in line like everyone else.

We got lucky and when we walked outside the van for the Comfort Inn was already there and being loaded up. Fifteen minutes or so later, we were in our car and on our way home...I want to say we pulled out of the hotel parking lot around 9:40 AM? All I know is that we got home in time to pick up one of our dogs from her boarding facility at about 6:30 PM (we couldn't pick up the other one until the next day), and the drive is a little over eight hours for us.

Last edited by ickletarakins; 06-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #78
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!
 
Tink rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 18,082

Your red champagne was more than likely Rosa Regale...

You can find it in most wine shops... and it is REALLY good with Dark Chocolate...

(you can find it at Italy by the glass at Epcot...)
__________________
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, t'will be in the valley of love and delight.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #79
miztigg
this place for rent or lease please make checks to disney cruise line
 
miztigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maple Shade NJ
Posts: 586

I love your bag I bought the cruise line one but next time im in disney or the cruise ill get that one. I agree with you We booked a 5 day on board the 3 days way too short. I really wanna do a 7day again but i have done then both and its getting harder to take the kids out of school for a week. Rumor has it that DCL will offer 7 days out of NYC ill just keep my fingers crossed for that one . Im enjoying your excellent TR
__________________
Rita Kathleen
big red boat 1996,Disney Wonder 11/00 Disney Magic 11/03 Disney Magic 12/06 Disney Wonder 9/08 NCL Dawn 10/09 (1st Wh+++ off shore trip) Carnival Imagination 3/10 (2nd W+++es off shore trip) Disney Wonder 5/10 (no kids just me and hubby )Carnival Elation 1/11 Bday cruise Carnival Inspiration 5/11 (3rd w++res off shore trip) Carnival Pride 7/12
miztigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #80
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire
 
ickletarakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztigg View Post
I love your bag I bought the cruise line one but next time im in disney or the cruise ill get that one. I agree with you We booked a 5 day on board the 3 days way too short. I really wanna do a 7day again but i have done then both and its getting harder to take the kids out of school for a week. Rumor has it that DCL will offer 7 days out of NYC ill just keep my fingers crossed for that one . Im enjoying your excellent TR
I thought about the cruise line one! I also thought about getting the cruise line wallet WITH my Disney World purse...but I'm much more of a Disney World nut then a DCL nut

I hear ya on the time off...it's hard for us to take more than a couple days off here and there because Steve is the only engineer at his company and I'm basically the head of finance.
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #81
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire
 
ickletarakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 117

Ask Me Why

I decided to copy and paste the following from my travel blog. This is basically an overall trip review and gives my reasoning for deciding against booking another Disney cruise while on the ship, if anyone is interested:

I’ve definitely heard the term “great product, not for us” thrown around a few times lately…and I have to say that this is probably the best way to describe our experience with Disney Cruise Line.

Now, there will be no bashing here–because we really did have an amazing time, and I think that if one is traveling with children, Disney Cruise Line is probably by far the best way to go. But I have to write from the heart about my experience, and writing from the heart means admitting things like: we checked with the onboard booking specials and could have gotten a great price (for a Disney cruise, anyway) on a cruise in October, but decided to forgo that option because as adults traveling without children, the experience simply wasn’t worth the cost for us.

First things first–I do have to express my absolute love of Disney’s alcohol policy, that being: if you can fit it in the designated carry-on, you can get it on the ship! We brought four pint bottles and some nippers with us, and I can’t even fathom how much money that saved us in the long run. That, and it was nice to be able to run by the (free!) drink station and mix up a nice strong rum and coke or bourbon and coke when the urge grabbed us, rather than heading off to a bar and just hoping that they put a proper amount of alcohol in your drink.

However. In the end, the cost of the cruise itself was prohibitive enough that we probably could have gone on another cruise line (for instance, we could have spent half the amount on the cruise and had an oceanview room on Royal Caribbean rather than an inside room on Disney) and ended up spending the same amount on cruise fare plus alcohol as we did on just the cruise fare for Disney.

Another huge plus for this cruise was the adults-only area. Better lounge chairs, a nice quiet pool, and two jacuzzis–it was perfect. There were maybe two times when cast members had to ask children to leave the area, but the point is–they actually asked them to leave. Adults only means adults only! (And thank God for that). Plus it was right next to the spa, and we purchased Rainforest Room passes in order to take advantage of their amazing steam rooms and aromatherapy showers. We also enjoyed the adults-only Cove Cafe quite a few times–great coffee, great little snacks (mini caprese sandwiches and the like), and the best service on the ship!

Last but not least, I could never say enough good things about Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay. Beautiful, clean, and again–an amazing adults-only area. Not to mention beachfront cabanas in which one can receive a massage. We partook in this “activity” and it was the most amazing massage I’ve ever had–mainly because of the location, but let’s not get picky, right?

Now, for the not-so-amazing bits…the food was good, but not the best I’ve had on a cruise. I was only truly impressed on two separate occasions–when we went to the buffet for lunch on the first day, and when we went to Palo for dinner. Of course, the only time I was actually unimpressed was when I tried the pizza at the poolside counter. It was gummy and tasteless and kind of, well, gross. But otherwise, our dinner at Parrot Cay on the first night was above average, and the dinner at Animator’s Palate on the last night was okay as well.

The deck parties (the sail away party on the first day, and the Pirate party on the second night) were very obviously geared toward children. I remember loving the sail away party on my Carnival cruise, so I was a bit disappointed with Disney’s…the area where it was held (decks nine and ten) was simply too small for the crowd of people.

I think the Pirate party could have been a total blast had I not spent the entire time being jostled by the family standing next to us and worrying about the fact that the mother had her 5 or 6 year old son standing on top of a trash can on the top deck of the boat. This was the one time when I was truly frustrated that cast members were walking by us and not saying anything to this mother about her children.

Finally, our stop in Nassau was very disappointing, but I won’t go into detail about that now, because it really is an entire separate blog in itself.

When I said that this was a great product–I still think that if you are cruising with young children (as in, any children under the age of 12), Disney Cruise Line is the way to go. Their deck parties and shows are geared toward kids. They offer discounted children’s rates, which other cruise lines don’t. Sodas and whatnot are included with your meals and if you get them from the drink station on deck nine, so there’s no paying extra for a soda card once on board. They’ve got opportunities to meet characters left and right. Their rooms are bigger than other cruise lines. And I can only imagine that it would be a great vacation to do a 3 day cruise and then spend 4 days at Walt Disney World (or vice versa).

Would I do another Disney cruise? Yes, if I had the extra vacation and if the price actually dropped to $400 per person or less for an inside cabin. I would do it for the Cove Cafe, the adults-only area, the Rainforest room at the spa, Castaway Cay and the beachfront couples massage. And again, we did have an amazing vacation regardless! I just wish that it hadn’t been quite so pricey, because I’m not sure we really got our money’s worth.
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #82
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,604

Great Trip Report!
For what it's worth it is possible to book your cruise for very close to that 400 per you mentioned - we got ours for just slightly over 800 dollars in late October. 3 Days in a GTY Cat 12.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ickletarakins View Post
I decided to copy and paste the following from my travel blog. This is basically an overall trip review and gives my reasoning for deciding against booking another Disney cruise while on the ship, if anyone is interested:

I’ve definitely heard the term “great product, not for us” thrown around a few times lately…and I have to say that this is probably the best way to describe our experience with Disney Cruise Line.

Now, there will be no bashing here–because we really did have an amazing time, and I think that if one is traveling with children, Disney Cruise Line is probably by far the best way to go. But I have to write from the heart about my experience, and writing from the heart means admitting things like: we checked with the onboard booking specials and could have gotten a great price (for a Disney cruise, anyway) on a cruise in October, but decided to forgo that option because as adults traveling without children, the experience simply wasn’t worth the cost for us.

First things first–I do have to express my absolute love of Disney’s alcohol policy, that being: if you can fit it in the designated carry-on, you can get it on the ship! We brought four pint bottles and some nippers with us, and I can’t even fathom how much money that saved us in the long run. That, and it was nice to be able to run by the (free!) drink station and mix up a nice strong rum and coke or bourbon and coke when the urge grabbed us, rather than heading off to a bar and just hoping that they put a proper amount of alcohol in your drink.

However. In the end, the cost of the cruise itself was prohibitive enough that we probably could have gone on another cruise line (for instance, we could have spent half the amount on the cruise and had an oceanview room on Royal Caribbean rather than an inside room on Disney) and ended up spending the same amount on cruise fare plus alcohol as we did on just the cruise fare for Disney.

Another huge plus for this cruise was the adults-only area. Better lounge chairs, a nice quiet pool, and two jacuzzis–it was perfect. There were maybe two times when cast members had to ask children to leave the area, but the point is–they actually asked them to leave. Adults only means adults only! (And thank God for that). Plus it was right next to the spa, and we purchased Rainforest Room passes in order to take advantage of their amazing steam rooms and aromatherapy showers. We also enjoyed the adults-only Cove Cafe quite a few times–great coffee, great little snacks (mini caprese sandwiches and the like), and the best service on the ship!

Last but not least, I could never say enough good things about Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay. Beautiful, clean, and again–an amazing adults-only area. Not to mention beachfront cabanas in which one can receive a massage. We partook in this “activity” and it was the most amazing massage I’ve ever had–mainly because of the location, but let’s not get picky, right?

Now, for the not-so-amazing bits…the food was good, but not the best I’ve had on a cruise. I was only truly impressed on two separate occasions–when we went to the buffet for lunch on the first day, and when we went to Palo for dinner. Of course, the only time I was actually unimpressed was when I tried the pizza at the poolside counter. It was gummy and tasteless and kind of, well, gross. But otherwise, our dinner at Parrot Cay on the first night was above average, and the dinner at Animator’s Palate on the last night was okay as well.

The deck parties (the sail away party on the first day, and the Pirate party on the second night) were very obviously geared toward children. I remember loving the sail away party on my Carnival cruise, so I was a bit disappointed with Disney’s…the area where it was held (decks nine and ten) was simply too small for the crowd of people.

I think the Pirate party could have been a total blast had I not spent the entire time being jostled by the family standing next to us and worrying about the fact that the mother had her 5 or 6 year old son standing on top of a trash can on the top deck of the boat. This was the one time when I was truly frustrated that cast members were walking by us and not saying anything to this mother about her children.

Finally, our stop in Nassau was very disappointing, but I won’t go into detail about that now, because it really is an entire separate blog in itself.

When I said that this was a great product–I still think that if you are cruising with young children (as in, any children under the age of 12), Disney Cruise Line is the way to go. Their deck parties and shows are geared toward kids. They offer discounted children’s rates, which other cruise lines don’t. Sodas and whatnot are included with your meals and if you get them from the drink station on deck nine, so there’s no paying extra for a soda card once on board. They’ve got opportunities to meet characters left and right. Their rooms are bigger than other cruise lines. And I can only imagine that it would be a great vacation to do a 3 day cruise and then spend 4 days at Walt Disney World (or vice versa).

Would I do another Disney cruise? Yes, if I had the extra vacation and if the price actually dropped to $400 per person or less for an inside cabin. I would do it for the Cove Cafe, the adults-only area, the Rainforest room at the spa, Castaway Cay and the beachfront couples massage. And again, we did have an amazing vacation regardless! I just wish that it hadn’t been quite so pricey, because I’m not sure we really got our money’s worth.
fey_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #83
SoCal Susie
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 50

Great TR!

Before having children Dh and I NEVER even considered cruising on DCL and probably would have had similar feelings as you about DCL. We've sailed on RCCL and Carnival and absolutely love RCCL.

Flash forward 5 years later, we have 2 kids (ages 4 and 2) and are estatic about cruising on DCL next year and look forward to all the Disney goodies.

So I don't blame you at all and totally can see where you are coming from. Besides, you are newly engaged and I'm sure in the near future, you and your DF will have children and will get to enjoy a DCL cruise with your little ones right?
__________________
Susie 33
Alfred 33
DS 5
DD 3

DL Annual Passholders since 2009
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera Cruise 2/27/11
WDW/Disney Dream 3nt cruise 2/2/12
SoCal Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #84
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire
 
ickletarakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Susie View Post
Great TR!

Before having children Dh and I NEVER even considered cruising on DCL and probably would have had similar feelings as you about DCL. We've sailed on RCCL and Carnival and absolutely love RCCL.

Flash forward 5 years later, we have 2 kids (ages 4 and 2) and are estatic about cruising on DCL next year and look forward to all the Disney goodies.

So I don't blame you at all and totally can see where you are coming from. Besides, you are newly engaged and I'm sure in the near future, you and your DF will have children and will get to enjoy a DCL cruise with your little ones right?
Absolutely! TBH, unless something completely out of the ordinary happens it probably won't be UNTIL we have children and they're at least a few years old that we cruise DCL again...but it's definitely something we will revisit in the future

(Sorry for the late reply BTW...we got married last month and so things have been just a wee bit insane)
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.