Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
trekygirl26
Live Long and Prosper

Bringing Wine Onboard

We are doing the PC cruise in January and are thinking about bringing our own wine onboard instead of buying the wine package. Is this possible? Has anyone else done it? What was your experience? If we bring a few bottles, will they charge us a corking fee each night, or just one per bottle? Any information you can give me would be great! Thanks!!

WDW - More times than I can count!!
DCL - March 2003, March & October 2006, March 2007, March & October 2008, March & November 2009, December 2010, January & October 2011, December 2013.
trekygirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, you can carry wine onboard. You can't send it aboard in checked luggage, but you can carry it.
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

DCL allows you to bring on any and all beverages that you want. They do want you to carry them on with you.
If you take a bottle of wine to dinner the corking fee/bottle has been reported as now being $18 + 15% auto gratuity. If you carry in a glass of wine to dinner, or any other drink, there is no corking fee involved.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Mojodisney
Mouseketeer

I've heard that if you bring the bottle to dinner, there is a corking fee, but if you bring a glass of wine that you poured in your stateroom, then they leave you alone. We brought drinnks in with us nightly to dinner. Also, read on another thread that you can ask your stateroom host for a wine bottle opener and glasses. Bring as many on board that you can carry and think you will drink. Our last night on a 7 day was finishing up the bottles that were left from the week. Good night
Mojodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Yes, it's very simple and very civilized. We had late dining, so we would take a glass with us to the shows (they sell drinks right outside the theatre too). Then we'd head back to the room and enjoy another before heading to our meal.

We bought some bottles in Port Canaveral, but also picked up another in St. Maarten. Again, very easy.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
pluto1979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekygirl26 View Post
We are doing the PC cruise in January and are thinking about bringing our own wine onboard instead of buying the wine package. Is this possible?

Yes you can definately bring on your own liquer without any problems. I believe you have to carry it on in your carry-in luggage.

Has anyone else done it?

I have done it with both wine, hard liquer and with champaigne

What was your experience?

Never had any problems or questions! Was told to enjoy my cruise!

If we bring a few bottles, will they charge us a corking fee each night, or just one per bottle?

They will charge a corking few just one time for each bottle.
However, I am not sure if they will chagre if you bring a boxed wine on board. I actually like some type of boxed wines and have not done it before but am thinking of doing this. I am not trying to get around the corking fee but am wonering if they will charge if I want to bring it to dinner.

I must say that i enjoy buying the package on board as I find it fun to get serviced like onyl Disney can do! The packages are not that much more expensive plus they follow you from restaurant to restaurant. You can also have it in your stateroom which they will bring the corking impliment, a wine bucket (that you can take as it has the DCL logo!) I love mine as well as glasses to enjoy the wine instead of drinking out of regular glasses.

Any information you can give me would be great! Thanks!!
I hope this info helps. At last the basic info.
Have a wonderful cruise!

Be sure to follow my blog about my life as a Disney Cast Member!
Disney Dreamer & Magic Maker
http://www.disneycm.blogspot.com
pluto1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

I brought a glass from my room with me most nights. We only had white so DH often ordered a glass or red. I also always bought the drink of the day.

I saw many, many people bringing their wine, beer etc into the dining room or the theatre every night.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 8) (DS 3)
dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
moet7
DIS Veteran

You can also have it in your stateroom which they will bring the corking impliment, a wine bucket (that you can take as it has the DCL logo!)

Wow, really?? You are aloud to take the ice bucket they leave in your room that has the DCL logo on it? I know it's just plastic, but didn't know I was aloud to take it. Anyone else hear this? I guess I can just ask the Stateroom host when I cruise in June.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Presentation
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moet7 View Post
You can also have it in your stateroom which they will bring the corking impliment, a wine bucket (that you can take as it has the DCL logo!)

Wow, really?? You are aloud to take the ice bucket they leave in your room that has the DCL logo on it? I know it's just plastic, but didn't know I was aloud to take it. Anyone else hear this? I guess I can just ask the Stateroom host when I cruise in June.
"Take" as in you can take it home after your vacation with out paying for it? This is not correct. It can't be.

Can a mod please confirm?
9 times on the Disney Magic 1999-2009
1 time on the Disney Wonder Jan 24 2010, take a tour of our room, the Roy O Disney suite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikICyvT5Ow
1 time on the Disney Dream March 27 2011
DHDWDD(15) DS(11) DD(7)
My 9 year old son's first youtube video about Lightning McQueen >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhWxstVKwg
If you have a youtube account could you please watch it or have one of your kids watch it and add a comment? Thank you.
Presentation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
moet7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presentation View Post
"Take" as in you can take it home after your vacation with out paying for it? This is not correct. It can't be.

Can a mod please confirm?
The post was written by a Castmember, unless I miss read it, but it sounded like they took the ice bucket home. I am sorry if I miss read the post and you just took the ice bucket with you just around the ship.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
trekygirl26
Live Long and Prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto1979 View Post
I hope this info helps. At last the basic info.
Have a wonderful cruise!
Thank you so much! That was great information! I personally like the Disney experience too and we might find that it's too much of a hassle to bring our own onboard, but i wanted to get some info first before we decided.

DCL - March 2003, March & October 2006, March 2007, March & October 2008, March & November 2009, December 2010, January & October 2011, December 2013.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
trekygirl26
Live Long and Prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneygirl View Post
I brought a glass from my room with me most nights. We only had white so DH often ordered a glass or red. I also always bought the drink of the day.

I saw many, many people bringing their wine, beer etc into the dining room or the theatre every night.
I never thought about bringing it to the theater...great idea!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
nifferearly
Mouseketeer

We were on the Wonder in Nov. I packed a corkscrew and brought an open bottle of wine to dinner each night and was not charged a corking fee. I asked my server if this was okay and he said "no problem". Yet another thing that makes DCL worth the extra money!
nifferearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Cheltenham
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Yes, you can carry wine onboard. You can't send it aboard in checked luggage, but you can carry it.
Is the restriction just on having wine bottles in checked luggage or is it any kind of wine container? In particular, could you put a small boxed wine in your checked luggage? (I have seen wine in fairly small wax-type containers -- like kids' juice boxes -- and which hold the equivalent of either three or six glasses of wine.) I would like to have some wine in my cabin but I am flying in that day and using Disney transportation to the dock, so I don't think I would be able (or want to bother) to buy wine in FL to carry on before boarding the ship.
Cheltenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Ok...you should not "take" anything home just because it has the DCL logo on it. I don't believe DCL intends the ice buckets as free gifts to take home so please don't do that. I believe he meant you can take the bucket around the ship with you.

The corking fee is not really imposed to "uncork" the bottle....it is more of a surcharge for allowing you to bring in your own booze. So, a boxed wine would more than likely also be charged as it is not the actual act of opening the wine, but drinking it in the dining room.

Anyone who was not charged the corking fee for bringing in their own bottle to the dining room was lucky and it was most likely due to your servers not wanting to upset you by telling you than there was a fee (which could equate into a lower tip)....but I am sure it did not go unnoticed by their superiors. Our head server knew immediately that there was a "non DCL" bottle on our table and we saw them speak to the servers to make sure the fee was charged.

DCL requests that all beverages be put in your CARRY ONS, not checked luggage. There have been reports that people who had beverages in their checked luggage were told that the product was confiscated and would be returned at the end of the cruise. It can really be a huge issue if something happened to a beverage in a suitcase....it would not only ruin that persons stuff but also anyones luggage and stuff around it. I am sure it is still being done but you run the risk of it being confiscated if found and returned at the end of the cruise...so you would not be able to enjoy it.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: