Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #676
StitchFanLV
Earning My Ears

I think it would be better if they still had all their own mugs instead of one generic looking one...makes it more of an unique stay
StitchFanLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #677
Goofy22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchFanLV View Post
I think it would be better if they still had all their own mugs instead of one generic looking one...makes it more of an unique stay
I totally agree!
Goofy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #678
StitchFanLV
Earning My Ears

anyone have pics of the OKW mug? just wanted to see what that one looked liked before the switch
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #679
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Quote:
I understand your opinion. I do have old pop century and and coronado springs mugs, and I love them!
I guess I wish they gave you and option of generic or resort specific mugs. my reason? and I know some will disagree with me..

there is NO WAY I will buy mugs for each member of my family, then give Disney more of my money by transferring (during the SAME VACATION, mind you)to a more expensive DISNEY resort, and buy mugs AGAIN (for each member of my family.) nope not doing it . nonsense. poppycock.
and don't bother showing me a picture you took of the sign saying "at your stay at THIS resort only" .

therefore, I like the generic mugs. however, if Disney went back to resort specific mugs, I would purchase them at our first resort, and use them throughout our trip anyways (we have stayed at 4 dif. resorts in one trip) with nary a feeling of guilt in the slightest!!!
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #680
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
I understand your opinion. I do have old pop century and and coronado springs mugs, and I love them!
I guess I wish they gave you and option of generic or resort specific mugs. my reason? and I know some will disagree with me..

there is NO WAY I will buy mugs for each member of my family, then give Disney more of my money by transferring (during the SAME VACATION, mind you)to a more expensive DISNEY resort, and buy mugs AGAIN (for each member of my family.) nope not doing it . nonsense. poppycock.
and don't bother showing me a picture you took of the sign saying "at your stay at THIS resort only" .

therefore, I like the generic mugs. however, if Disney went back to resort specific mugs, I would purchase them at our first resort, and use them throughout our trip anyways (we have stayed at 4 dif. resorts in one trip) with nary a feeling of guilt in the slightest!!!
I agree with you on that one. Resort specific mugs do not work for people that are doing split stays.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #681
StitchFanLV
Earning My Ears

why would someone want to do split stays? I have no idea but the resort mugs were better than the same boring generic lookings one they have now
Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #682
BazzaS
Earning My Ears

Quote:
why would someone want to do split stays? I have no idea but the resort mugs were better than the same boring generic lookings one they have now
Why split stays?.
1) because we booked 5 days in SSR as part of a paid stay offer (free dining plan for the 5 days, and a 14 day ticket included) and then stayed in AKL on DVC points to make the most of the 14 day ticket ..... Staying all the days at AKL would have been nice, but not financially viable.
2) (Another stay) because our home resort is BLT and that is convenient for Magic Kingdom and Epcot, yet we also wanted friends to be able to experience the Savannah view at AKL that we'd enjoyed so much on the previous visit.
3) Because it may not be what you want, but might suit others?

Our most recent stay (4 days BLT, 3 AKL), we bought mugs at The Contempo Cafe and used them at both sites. As others have noted, resort specific mugs would have prevented this, and rather than us buying 2 sets, we'd have likely not bought any. Resort specific might be "more interesting", but perhaps Disney aren't aiming to please "all the people all of the time", or, at least, have found other ways (other souvenirs?) to please all the people, most of the time.

Mods: if this has strayed into "debate" (forbidden in this thread), rather than answering the previous posters query of "why split stays"' then please feel free to move / hide this. Thanks.
BazzaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #683
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
nebo's wife here.
we have done split stays numerous times, for various reasons.

one time we wanted to try AKL. it didn't exist the last time we went to WDW. but we couldn't afford it for the whole trip. Values were also new to us. so rather than stay the whole time at a moderate, we split the stay between AKL and All star movies.

once we experienced the DDP with "free" dining, disney had us hooked. but you must purchase the plan for the entire package stay... hhmmm.. ok, we booked a few nights at french quarter with the DDP, and tickets (enough park tickets for the entire stay). then a room only at Wilderness lodge (snuck another deluxe in there) with a room opnly code afterword. and stretched out the dining plan, using a TS credit the evening of check out at POFQ at Wilderness canyon check IN day at WL. (oh, and saved a CS credit to grab a coupld sandwiches at Roaring forks that same day, to put in our fridge and eat the next day.)

Once we just wanted to try Pop century, since it was new, for one night. heck, 1 night isn't enough at any resort, ok, 2 nights. hey.. if we add a 3rd night, we will get to see Davy Jones! this is how 3 nights at pop were added to the POFQ, WL trip.

Methinks Disney would rather we keep adding nights at various resorts, esp more expensive resorts, than, say, in the first instance skip AKL and stay the entire time at Movies. we are spending more money than we would have. I'll be darned if I will keep buying more mugs on each leg of our WDW trip.

last year, we had received a pin code. we said we were only going to take another trip if we could get a discount. there it was!!! then.. (the plot thickens) free dining came out for dec. (without a stupid photopass book requirement) ooh! which one should we do?? oohh, monty, monty..() answer.. BOth!

some people go with friends or family, stay at one resort, then switch to another when said friends/family go home.

in summation, there are many reasons to do split stays. and when we do so, we will buy a mug at the first resort, and we will use it for our entire Disney trip.

the most important reason for split stays: to experience all the resorts!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #684
StitchFanLV
Earning My Ears

I guess for some people it works......for me it would be to expensive to do split stays plus the hassle of packing up again just to unpack at a new resort. Also growing up with a mom who is a travel agent (25+ years) who also has timeshare there ;-) I know I'll get to go back again and again to stay at each resort. As for the mugs I'd only get the resort ones to collect for my vacation history. I'm a Disney nut love collecting Disney merchandise :-) I really love the Blizzard Beach mug it's pretty big
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #685
enth
Earning My Ears

very informative, succinct, and eloquent!!! thank you for including split stay!!! you hit all the salient points.
enth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #686
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

For all UK residents. I have just booked for 2012 and resort mugs are included free in the DDPThough Im sure it was incorperated into the price
Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #687
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Not sure if this has been posted, so forgive me if it has, but we just got back from WDW and I saw seval different colored mugs from the original three colors. I saw black and purple!!!
WDW:7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #688
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
Not sure if this has been posted, so forgive me if it has, but we just got back from WDW and I saw seval different colored mugs from the original three colors. I saw black and purple!!!
Interesting...I've heard lots of rumours of this here and there, but no solid evidence. Are the black and purple the new ones or just old mugs being re-used? As a 4-person family, we are really hoping for more then the 3 colours originally posted..
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #689
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
Wow, there were reports of black lids in addition to the original pink, blue, and yellow, but purple is a new report.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #690
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Interesting...I've heard lots of rumours of this here and there, but no solid evidence. Are the black and purple the new ones or just old mugs being re-used? As a 4-person family, we are really hoping for more then the 3 colours originally posted..
They were both the new design. It was solid black (like the old mugs) and clear purple (like the new mugs). Both had the new beach theme...not the red celebrate.
WDW:7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: