Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #2656
smidgy
dimples

the thing I dislike most about the RFID chip is that you can't put it in the microwave. I use all my old mugs at home.e very morning I muke a cup of tea in one, and take it with me to work. I always say "everything tastes better in a Disney mug". rats
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #2657
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
the thing I dislike most about the RFID chip is that you can't put it in the microwave. I use all my old mugs at home.e very morning I muke a cup of tea in one, and take it with me to work. I always say "everything tastes better in a Disney mug". rats
I thought you couldn't microwave the mug while you are using it at WDW because it would fry the chip, not make the mug unusable. So, once you get home you should be able to microwave it.

I guess we need the Mythbusters to bust that myth.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #2658
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I thought you couldn't microwave the mug while you are using it at WDW because it would fry the chip, not make the mug unusable. So, once you get home you should be able to microwave it.

I guess we need the Mythbusters to bust that myth.
Somewhere up thread I posted a youtube of what happens when you microwave an RFID chip. It caught fire and burned (well the metal sparked and the other components caught fire and burned but you get the idea). We're thinking it's a chance that the mug would melt around the chip.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #2659
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Somewhere up thread I posted a youtube of what happens when you microwave an RFID chip. It caught fire and burned (well the metal sparked and the other components caught fire and burned but you get the idea). We're thinking it's a chance that the mug would melt around the chip.
It depends on the chip, I think. I've seen those videos of microwaving credit cards with RFID chips but my mugs have been through the dishwasher and microwave with no obvious damage. I've read other reports of the same too, so I don't think it is a fluke.

What I'm more interested in than the microwave, which doesn't come into play until I'm home, is the dishwasher angle. The ValidFill web site FAQ says that the chipped mugs aren't dishwasher safe unless it specifically says so on the bottom, which the Disney mugs do not, and if it really can't survive the dishwasher I could absolutely see myself inadvertently frying the chip on a DVC or Ft Wilderness cabin stay.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #2660
smidgy
dimples

hmm. we need an answer on this one. today I brought a mug of hot tea with me to tend bar at the VFW, but in my mind I was at Pop century, using that mug!

the other day, in my car, my tea tasted like the hot tea at pepper market. last week I was reminiscing about the latest pool scene! lol.. I love my old disney mugs.

Last edited by smidgy; 01-21-2014 at 12:36 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #2661
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Are the new mugs at all of the resorts yet? I am considering buying one for my CBR stay in April...
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #2662
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
Are the new mugs at all of the resorts yet? I am considering buying one for my CBR stay in April...
If by new you mean with the RFID chips in them, yes.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #2663
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Refill stations at BWV

Can you still get refills at the pool with the new cups?

As I remember I could fill at
-Bakery
-Pizza Window
-Bell Vue Lounge
-Pool

Am I correct?
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #2664
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
I just checked at Pop, Poly, Grand Fla., and Contemporary, and all they had were Purple and Green. No orange, and no new design.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #2665
jkluttrell
Mouseketeer

I also have put my mugs (yes the RIFD ones, we were there in October) in the dishwasher and microwave (in fact just did it five minutes to heat up some milk for hot chocolate that I am currently drinking) and I'm still alive and haven't burned down anything.... yet, ha!

Disney vacations: March 1992, Offsite; March 2005, Offsite; October 2010, Caribbean Beach; November 2011, Port Orleans; October 2013, Pop Century; October 2014, Cruise on the Wonder

jkluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #2666
jkluttrell
Mouseketeer

I do have another question that after reading the first post am still not clear on. I am not trying to be unethical or start a debate.

We are going on a disney cruise in October, it leaves on a Monday and returns on Friday.
I am planning to stay at a disney hotel on the Sat and Sun night before as well as the Fri night after. We are not planning to go to the parks at this time but rather use Sunday as a day to explore the other hotels. I've wanted to do this for some time now. If I buy a mug at my resort (haven't decided yet which one that will be) do they work (meaning with the new RIFD chip) in the other resorts while I am just wondering around?

Also even though I am doing two separate stays would the mug still work on the Friday when we return (assuming I bought the 'for the whole stay' one)? What if I stay in a different hotel on that Friday?

Disney vacations: March 1992, Offsite; March 2005, Offsite; October 2010, Caribbean Beach; November 2011, Port Orleans; October 2013, Pop Century; October 2014, Cruise on the Wonder

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #2667
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
I do have another question that after reading the first post am still not clear on. I am not trying to be unethical or start a debate.

We are going on a disney cruise in October, it leaves on a Monday and returns on Friday.
I am planning to stay at a disney hotel on the Sat and Sun night before as well as the Fri night after. We are not planning to go to the parks at this time but rather use Sunday as a day to explore the other hotels. I've wanted to do this for some time now. If I buy a mug at my resort (haven't decided yet which one that will be) do they work (meaning with the new RIFD chip) in the other resorts while I am just wondering around?

Also even though I am doing two separate stays would the mug still work on the Friday when we return (assuming I bought the 'for the whole stay' one)? What if I stay in a different hotel on that Friday?
Just purchase a 14 day mug. You may want to have documentation to show that you will be on a continuous Disney trip, but they likely will not ask about it. The new mugs are able to be used at all resorts. That is a feature of the new system.
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #2668
jkluttrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Just purchase a 14 day mug. You may want to have documentation to show that you will be on a continuous Disney trip, but they likely will not ask about it. The new mugs are able to be used at all resorts. That is a feature of the new system.
Thank you!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #2669
pArKsFaN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I just checked at Pop, Poly, Grand Fla., and Contemporary, and all they had were Purple and Green. No orange, and no new design.
All Star Sports also has purple and green left, old pool design.
pArKsFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #2670
Nechville
DIS Veteran

Are we thinking if they are running out of orange, maybe they will be getting new mug designs soon?
Nechville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: