Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #2581
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
The design hasn't changed except for the fact that it now includes the Rapid Refill logo. It does however come in new colors - orange, purple and green.
Oh Well. At least I can get a new color! My DD will want me to get the orange so that is good! Thanks!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #2582
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

I think that the very early mugs purchased up through a certain year (was it 1998?) should be honored as lifetime. That's how they were sold at that time, and there probably aren't that many still out there people are willing to keep using.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #2583
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
I think that the very early mugs purchased up through a certain year (was it 1998?) should be honored as lifetime. That's how they were sold at that time, and there probably aren't that many still out there people are willing to keep using.
The mugs themselves cannot be used because the machine will not operate unless your mug or cup has a chip. Everything at WDW has always been a matter of "subject to change". I'm sure there was fine print somewhere that covers Disney from any type of lawsuit regarding those mugs. Otherwise, they would find a way to honor them.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #2584
need_a_Disney_fix
There is nothing like floofing and twirling on a Friday night!
Sleeping bags and canned biscuits scare the crap out of me

I am happy to say that I took my old mug and just used it for coffee and hot chocolate since those machines are not RFID'ed. I am not a soda drinker AND I reused my water bottle with the water dispenser on the Powerade button. I felt like such a rebel. We did purchase a new refillable mug for hubby but got my 20% off that mug using my Tables in Wonderland card. We also shipped a case of bottled water from Amazon directly to Pop. I still see ways to save money.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #2585
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_a_Disney_fix View Post
I am happy to say that I took my old mug and just used it for coffee and hot chocolate since those machines are not RFID'ed. I am not a soda drinker AND I reused my water bottle with the water dispenser on the Powerade button. I felt like such a rebel. We did purchase a new refillable mug for hubby but got my 20% off that mug using my Tables in Wonderland card. We also shipped a case of bottled water from Amazon directly to Pop. I still see ways to save money.

A "rebel" is not the word I would use, but whatever. I don't know that I've ever read a post admitting that someone was "happy" to get away with theft. How do you justify taking something you didn't pay for, and then brag about it??? Wow...
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #2586
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425

Yes. They are not microwavable.
Question about this :I understand that microwaving the mugs will make the chip not work, so I will definitely not do that during our upcoming stay. But what about when I get back home? If I microwave it will it cause actual damage to the mug itself? DH puts our older Disney mugs in the microwave all the time, so if that will be an issue with the new ones, we'll have to be careful...
My3Princez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #2587
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Princez View Post
Question about this :I understand that microwaving the mugs will make the chip not work, so I will definitely not do that during our upcoming stay. But what about when I get back home? If I microwave it will it cause actual damage to the mug itself? DH puts our older Disney mugs in the microwave all the time, so if that will be an issue with the new ones, we'll have to be careful...
Well RFID has metal circuits so I reckon it'll spark and melt the cup, and maybe cause the microwave itself to short out. If you have a really long extension cord and a recorder you might get a really good youtube out of it.

oops too late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5UYcyO3Pg

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2588
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Well RFID has metal circuits so I reckon it'll spark and melt the cup, and maybe cause the microwave itself to short out. If you have a really long extension cord and a recorder you might get a really good youtube out of it.

oops too late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5UYcyO3Pg
okey dokey then - will stear clear of the new mugs in the micro!
My3Princez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #2589
SteveInOmaha
Mouseketeer

Can I do this?

We have not been to WDW in 8 years, well before the new mugs. On our prior trip I would take all 4 of our family's mugs down in the morning to get drinks and bring them back to everyone in our room. Can I do that now with the new mugs? Can I refill my mug and the other mugs of the people in our party?

Just to clarify - I am not trying to steal anything! I just want to fill each person's mug for them while they get ready in our room each morning.

Thanks!
Steve in Omaha
SteveInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #2590
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInOmaha View Post
We have not been to WDW in 8 years, well before the new mugs. On our prior trip I would take all 4 of our family's mugs down in the morning to get drinks and bring them back to everyone in our room. Can I do that now with the new mugs? Can I refill my mug and the other mugs of the people in our party?

Just to clarify - I am not trying to steal anything! I just want to fill each person's mug for them while they get ready in our room each morning.

Thanks!
Steve in Omaha
I won't be a problem at all.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #2591
nalajms
DIS Veteran

When we got our mugs, the CM told use that if we accidentally microwaved it they could replace it if we still had the mug and the receipt. However, if we lost the mugs, they would not replace the mugs even if we had a receipt. So I wonder if there will be a surge in people stealing mugs?!?

Like many other folks, I take mine on our way out to the parks. They are usually left on the stroller. If we're by the pool, I leave them with our shoes and towels.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #2592
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I'm finalizing my packing and had a quick mug-rules question that has never come up before. Is there a hot water dispenser at the drink stations, and if so, does it fall under the same free/unlimited rule as the cold water at the soda machine? Or do you need the RFID mug even for hot water? I'm not getting mugs this trip because neither DD5 nor I drink enough soda for them to be worthwhile on such a short trip, but I do drink hot tea. I'm picky about variety, though, and I don't care for the brand/types Disney stocks so I pack my own tea bags when I travel. Am I going to have a problem getting just plain hot water to make my own tea in the evenings?

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #2593
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I'm finalizing my packing and had a quick mug-rules question that has never come up before. Is there a hot water dispenser at the drink stations, and if so, does it fall under the same free/unlimited rule as the cold water at the soda machine? Or do you need the RFID mug even for hot water? I'm not getting mugs this trip because neither DD5 nor I drink enough soda for them to be worthwhile on such a short trip, but I do drink hot tea. I'm picky about variety, though, and I don't care for the brand/types Disney stocks so I pack my own tea bags when I travel. Am I going to have a problem getting just plain hot water to make my own tea in the evenings?
The only thing that uses the RFID chip is the carbonated beverages in the drink dispenser. Water, hot water, coffee and hot chocolate do not have the RFID chip and therefore can be used for any cup. There is hot water there and you don't have to have the refillable mug to use it.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #2594
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
The only thing that uses the RFID chip is the carbonated beverages in the drink dispenser. Water, hot water, coffee and hot chocolate do not have the RFID chip and therefore can be used for any cup. There is hot water there and you don't have to have the refillable mug to use it.
Thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #2595
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms View Post
When we got our mugs, the CM told use that if we accidentally microwaved it they could replace it if we still had the mug and the receipt. However, if we lost the mugs, they would not replace the mugs even if we had a receipt. So I wonder if there will be a surge in people stealing mugs?!?

Like many other folks, I take mine on our way out to the parks. They are usually left on the stroller. If we're by the pool, I leave them with our shoes and towels.
people will steal anything! at the restaurant where I work we only put out 1 extra toilet paper roll. people steal TP. (and the free standing tp holder? it walked away. sheesh
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: