Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #2071
lemonpan
Mouseketeer

(waves) I just caught up on the recent podcast and heard about the new RapidRefill mug program. John, I think, mentioned that there's now a delay between fill-ups.

Question: I mostly use the mug for iced tea. I fill it 2/3 with unsweetened tea and then add a splash of sweet tea. With the new program, I wonder if I'll be able to do this! Anyone know?

Thanks!
lemonpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #2072
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Not sure I want a radio frequency chip anywhere near my liquid beverage
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #2073
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Do we know for sure that there will be a delay in-between uses/fill-ups? There was for the test, but I'm holding out hope that enough people complained about the delay..
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #2074
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpan View Post
Question: I mostly use the mug for iced tea. I fill it 2/3 with unsweetened tea and then add a splash of sweet tea. With the new program, I wonder if I'll be able to do this! Anyone know?
An answer with a speculative question - depends on if the current Gold Peak Iced Tea dispensers will remain as is, or will be replaced with RFID-capable dispensers. I'm kind of wondering if the non-soda dispensers (Gold Peak, coffee, hot chocolate) will continue as-is, especially since they are still there (as of July 15th) but All-Star Music apparently already has what will be the new RFID soda dispensers, but aren't active yet.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #2075
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Oh thanks for the update! Maybe they are behind schedule. Mind you I am always how shocked at how quickly Disney achieve changes. We left MK for an hour came back to full halloween decs one day! Not even a sign of a cast member sweating or a ladder lol.
So apparently I was both right and wrong. According to this MouseSteps report, the new RFID machines are in place at Music (and I saw and used them) but the RFID system isn't active yet, at least as of Sunday 7/14 when I used them last. Movies does not have these same dispensers yet. I saw no RapidFill logos anywhere.

The coffee and Gold Peak dispensers are all still in place and I would speculate those won't require RFID...the new Joffrey brewed coffee lets them put out extra urns in the morning all over the place, so it wouldn't seem as likely (at least in the short term) that the varying amount of coffee dispensers would all be using RFID.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR

Last edited by jcarwash; 07-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #2076
lemonpan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
An answer with a speculative question - depends on if the current Gold Peak Iced Tea dispensers will remain as is, or will be replaced with RFID-capable dispensers. I'm kind of wondering if the non-soda dispensers (Gold Peak, coffee, hot chocolate) will continue as-is, especially since they are still there (as of July 15th) but All-Star Music apparently already has what will be the new RFID soda dispensers, but aren't active yet.
Such a good point! Now I'm wondering too. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thinking about it makes my November trip seem not-so-far away!
lemonpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #2077
prettypatchesmsu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
I tend to drink a lot of the tea while we are there so this would be a great thing if true! I always like when really thirsty, fill up, drink a few gulps, then top back off to head to the room. If there is a delay, I could fill it up with something out of the RFID machines, drink it, then rinse and fill up with tea
prettypatchesmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2078
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

I've always been a fan of the refillable mug program. I think we have over 60 mugs from various resorts in this household (or in storage). I really enjoy seeing the different mugs and the way they changed from year to year or resort to resort. I've watched that program slowly deteriorate to the point where it is no longer fun and almost seems like Disney paints everyone with the same brush and looks at all of their resort guests with suspicion. I'm going to say that I have indeed brought my refill mugs back to resorts on various trips throughout the year BUT, I always pay for a new one and have asked staff if it would be ok for me to use one of my older mugs even though I have bought and paid for a new one. They have always been very accommodating and told me it was no problem since I had paid for a new mug anyway. I enjoy using some of the old mugs because they're a bit of a novelty and well, let's face it, I'm just a nostaligic person. I love when I see other guests with older mugs as well, especially ones I have never seen before.. it's a great conversation starter.
My question is... why couldn't Disney just offer RFID bands that get clipped on to the handle of your mug with each visit so you could have the choice of buying a new mug, or simply bringing your old ones (I'm not asking for a discount... you would still pay the new mug price regardless, but the chip would be clipped on like a store security tag).
Not only would it allow people to use their older mugs, but it's environmental.
Seems like there are going to be a lot of kinks to be worked out with this new system and a lot of refill mugs ending up in the landfills.
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #2079
ats360
Earning My Ears

Machines switched over at POP though not in use yet

The soda machines at POP now have small two 5 inch screens on each one. The first part of our trip only one island had them, but today I noticed all three islands had the new soda machines installed.

DEC 2009 POP • JULY 2010 POP • JULY 2011 POP • JANUARY 2013 POP • JULY 2013 POP • AUGUST 2013 DL OFFSITE • JULY 2014 POP
ats360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #2080
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats360 View Post
The soda machines at POP now have small two 5 inch screens on each one. The first part of our trip only one island had them, but today I noticed all three islands had the new soda machines installed.
How exciting! Thanks for the info! I hope you are having a fabulous trip!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #2081
StrwLady
Why did I buy that van?! Now I can't afford a Disney trip!!!

Location: Born and Raised In New Orleans but now lives In Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpan View Post
(

Thanks!
I never thought about this. My kid likes to mix coke and orange soda so his drink taste like Mezzo mix at Club Cool. I think a lot of kids like to mix the drinks.
2/78 Lake Buena Vista Best Western ~ 2/97 All Star Music ~ 3/00 Hawthorn Suites ~ 9/00 All Star Music ~ 3/01 ~ All Star Movies ~ 5/01 Polynesian ~ 10/01 Polynesian ~ 2/02 Contemporary ~ 12/02 Boardwalk Inn ~ 5/03 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/03 Boardwalk Inn ~ 3/04 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/04 Polynesian ~3/05 Wilderness lodge ~ 4/05 Beach Club ~ 9/05 Beach Club ~ 12/05 Beach Club ~ 3/06 DisneyLand Grand Californian ~ 6/06 All Star Music-Contemporary-Beach Club ~ 9/06 Polynesian ~ 12/06 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/07 Disneyland Hotel ~ 6/07 All Star Sports ~ 8/07 Saratoga Springs/Pop Century ~ 9/07 Beach Club ~ 5/08 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/09 Pop Century ~ 8/09 Contemporary ~ 7/10 Swan-Pop Century ~ 7/11 Pop Century ~ 6/12 Pop Century ~ 3/13 Pop Century ~ 8/13 Pop Century

Coming soon...
2 weeks in the World! Pop Century 6/14

StrwLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #2082
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrwLady View Post
I never thought about this. My kid likes to mix coke and orange soda so his drink taste like Mezzo mix at Club Cool. I think a lot of kids like to mix the drinks.
The new mugs are volume based, so you can still mix sodas.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #2083
StrwLady
Why did I buy that van?! Now I can't afford a Disney trip!!!

Location: Born and Raised In New Orleans but now lives In Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
The new mugs are volume based, so you can still mix sodas.
Oh so the machine keeps track of how many ounces you dispense? Glad to hear that my kid would have been grumpy!
2/78 Lake Buena Vista Best Western ~ 2/97 All Star Music ~ 3/00 Hawthorn Suites ~ 9/00 All Star Music ~ 3/01 ~ All Star Movies ~ 5/01 Polynesian ~ 10/01 Polynesian ~ 2/02 Contemporary ~ 12/02 Boardwalk Inn ~ 5/03 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/03 Boardwalk Inn ~ 3/04 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/04 Polynesian ~3/05 Wilderness lodge ~ 4/05 Beach Club ~ 9/05 Beach Club ~ 12/05 Beach Club ~ 3/06 DisneyLand Grand Californian ~ 6/06 All Star Music-Contemporary-Beach Club ~ 9/06 Polynesian ~ 12/06 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/07 Disneyland Hotel ~ 6/07 All Star Sports ~ 8/07 Saratoga Springs/Pop Century ~ 9/07 Beach Club ~ 5/08 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/09 Pop Century ~ 8/09 Contemporary ~ 7/10 Swan-Pop Century ~ 7/11 Pop Century ~ 6/12 Pop Century ~ 3/13 Pop Century ~ 8/13 Pop Century

Coming soon...
2 weeks in the World! Pop Century 6/14

StrwLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #2084
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

This might be a good time to revisit Jeff and Denise's video of the mug test at All Star Sports in July 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzZ4h7nh44
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #2085
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
This might be a good time to revisit Jeff and Denise's video of the mug test at All Star Sports in July 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzZ4h7nh44
Thanks for posting this! Very helpful to see it in action.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: