Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
TeamSy
"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel

Weigh In On Hotel Options!

Trying to decide where to stay for our next trip (End of Aug/Beg of Sep)… We are pretty set on these hotel options since we've never stayed at any of them. We won't do value, and the only mod we have yet to stay at is either of the POR's. The price if we did POR for all 6 nights works out to be around the same as options 1 and 2.

Option 1: Yacht Club for 3 nights, AKV (Jambo) for 3 nights: $1,330

Option 2*: (I'd have to wait a bit to confirm the Poly portion of this since you can't book there yet), AKV (Jambo) for 3 nights and Poly (new studio): $1,334

Option 3: AKV (Jambo) for 3 nights and BLT (Magic View): $1,494

Option 4: AKV (Jambo) for 6 nights: $1,008

Option 5: AKV (Jambo) for 6 nights, switching between standard and value: $952

So obviously we are set on AK, since, like I said, we've never stayed there before and it's cheap. However, I'm not 100% sold on staying there the entire time because it's far and we'd have to BUS EVERYWHERE. Plus, it reminds me a lot of WL and we hated WL. Still, we want to give AKL a try. With Yacht Club we can boat/walk to HS/Epcot, and with the MK resorts we can monorail to MK and Epcot. We've done Beach Club before and have done the SAB area, so we would be staying at Yacht Club because of it's proximity to the parks and not necessarily the pool complex (and because we've never stayed there). We have actually tacked on a few days post-Disney offsite at a resort with a fabulous pool for relaxing. But where to stay on Disney property
Old 01-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
because it's far
It takes 14 minutes to drive from AKL's front door to the MK bus loop.
https://goo.gl/maps/awyrJ

It takes 10 minutes to drive from YC's front door to the MK bus loop.
https://goo.gl/maps/G1L0v

I'm not sure 4 minutes is enough to matter.

Quote:
it reminds me a lot of WL and we hated WL
This might be a bigger reason not to spend the whole time there. But, personally, I am not a resort hopper---I like to settle in to one place.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
TeamSy
"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
It takes 14 minutes to drive from AKL's front door to the MK bus loop.
https://goo.gl/maps/awyrJ

It takes 10 minutes to drive from YC's front door to the MK bus loop.
https://goo.gl/maps/G1L0v

I'm not sure 4 minutes is enough to matter.

This might be a bigger reason not to spend the whole time there. But, personally, I am not a resort hopper---I like to settle in to one place.
I like the option of not always having to use a bus to travel, whereas that's my only option at AKL. That's what I mean by distance, not physical distance (although, physical distance is the reason why a bus is the only option).

And yes, another reason is because of the similarity between WL and AKL. In case we don't like it, it will only be 3 nights, vs 6.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Personally I would pick the 6 nights at AKV Jambo. AKV is our favorite resort. The buses aren't that bad IMO. They do not share with other resorts. For me it feels like the most unique resort, a true get away.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, 11/2014 Celtic Thunder Cruise 2--MSC Divina
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
mort1331
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSy View Post
Trying to decide where to stay for our next trip (End of Aug/Beg of Sep)… We are pretty set on these hotel options since we've never stayed at any of them. We won't do value, and the only mod we have yet to stay at is either of the POR's. The price if we did POR for all 6 nights works out to be around the same as options 1 and 2.

Option 2*: (I'd have to wait a bit to confirm the Poly portion of this since you can't book there yet), AKV (Jambo) for 3 nights and Poly (new studio): $1,334

So obviously we are set on AK, since, like I said, we've never stayed there before and it's cheap. However, I'm not 100% sold on staying there the entire time because it's far and we'd have to BUS EVERYWHERE. Plus, it reminds me a lot of WL and we hated WL. Still, we want to give AKL a try. With Yacht Club we can boat/walk to HS/Epcot, and with the MK resorts we can monorail to MK and Epcot. We've done Beach Club before and have done the SAB area, so we would be staying at Yacht Club because of it's proximity to the parks and not necessarily the pool complex (and because we've never stayed there). We have actually tacked on a few days post-Disney offsite at a resort with a fabulous pool for relaxing. But where to stay on Disney property
If its the distance and busing that your not sure about. I would take option 4, stay at one the whole time and rent a car. It would still be cheaper then the first 3 options. The pools at AKL are great, some of the best restaurants IMO, theming is great.
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Poly! I'm a split stay girl! Why Poly? Brand-new studio, main pool will have just been refurbished, monorail to MK plus walking to TTC to catch monorail to EP.

You've done BC. YC is basically the same. BLT is fine, but theming at Poly beats it by a mile.

Poly/AKV - best of both worlds!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
Enter User Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Is it my imagination or are these amazing deals? Whats your secret?
Enter User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #8
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

If you didn't like WL, you probably won't like AKL. We love them both : ) That being said, Savannah view is a must for us, where as at BLT, the MK view is fun for fireworks, but mostly you are just looking at a big parking lot. I prefer the lake view.

For you, I would pick 1/2 yacht and 1/2 poly or 1/2 BLT. Yacht is great (if you will use the pool + walk to EP), poly DVC is NEW new , and BLT is my favorite (newer + walk to MK).

I'm guessing availability will dictate some of this for you. Poly will be tough to get, unless you are buying Poly DVC. I'm not even sure if it would be available for CM discount because of the demand.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like the option of not always having to use a bus to travel, whereas that's my only option at AKL. That's what I mean by distance, not physical distance (although, physical distance is the reason why a bus is the only option). And yes, another reason is because of the similarity between WL and AKL. In case we don't like it, it will only be 3 nights, vs 6.
We have stayed at all the deluxe resorts except wl and our most recent trip was at akl. Between the kidani stop and Jambo stop and the additional drive time (I believe it's more like 18-20 and not 14 from akl) it makes a difference.

We spent a lot of time waiting for buses, riding buses and it is enough for us to say we probably won't stay there again.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv June- 5 day concierge double dip dream cruise March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
TeamSy

Thanks for your input everyone!! There's always so much to think about!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name View Post
Is it my imagination or are these amazing deals? Whats your secret?
Not really any deals, just renting points. We're two adults so a studio always works out cheaper than a hotel room, even when we add daily housekeeping.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Enter User Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for your input everyone!! There's always so much to think about!!

Not really any deals, just renting points. We're two adults so a studio always works out cheaper than a hotel room, even when we add daily housekeeping.
How do you rent points?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
TeamSy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name View Post
How do you rent points?
If you head over to the Rent/Trade board you can find a user to rent from. It's really easy! Most people don't like it because it requires you to pay in advance, but I find the savings worth it.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Enter User Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you head over to the Rent/Trade board you can find a user to rent from. It's really easy! Most people don't like it because it requires you to pay in advance, but I find the savings worth it.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I would definitely go with option one. Yacht Club is in a prime location within walking distance to Epcot & a boat or walking distance to Hollywood Studios. Also, besides the great restaurants at Epcot; you re withing walking distance to the boardwalk or get a great meal over at the Swan & Dolphin Restaurants. I would only recommend staying at AKL if you are getting a savannah view room. I think though you will like both resorts. I would start the vacation at AKL and then end it for 3 nights at Yacht Club.

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
TeamSy

Updating!!! We decided to go with Yacht Club/AKV - Jambo.
AKL, just because we've yet to stay there and want to try it. And, if we hate it, it's only for three nights. Yacht Club, because we have enjoyed our stay at BC and BW in the past, plus it's close to BW if we want to go there at night, as well as walk to Epcot, take the boat to HS.

Not to mention, we found a deal that was too good to be true (better than what I found above).

TOTAL Stay Cost for the 6 nights we're staying on property: $1,097.50

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: