Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #1351
iwrbnd
DIS Veteran

I haven't checked in for awhile but I'm glad people are still supporting each other here! This is such a great group of parents and I get so much out of reading the posts!

I'm hanging in there with my ASD son. I almost home-schooled him last year because he was having so many "shut-downs" but I ended up doing a low dose anti-anxiety medication and he's improved a lot on that.

Life is still hard and I get down but just "keep on swimming". What else can I do?

Thanks for the support here and letting me know I'm not alone!

iwrbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #1352
blondietink
DIS Veteran

I hate this transition planning ....... had another meeting yesterday afternoon. Adult services are just so ....... inconsistent, lacking, etc.

DS has been so stable with school and starting July 1st everything will be so totally different. The push is on here in NYS for employment of people with disabilitites, which is a good thing, but they are not putting in the supports we need to make that happen.

Just last week the school saw something from DS that has not happened in years. There was an electrical fire at the High School near the end of the day. The school was evacuated to the middle school and the students were dismissed from the middle school. This meant that DS could not get back into the high school to get his backpack which he HAD TO HAVE. He escalated ... the teacher was out sick that day ..... nobody could get through to him that it was okay to not have his backpack ...... another teacher rode the bus home with DS ..... robo call from the school stated we could go back into the school later to retrieve left items needed for homework, etc. .... DS arrives home still upset ...... we go to the school (still upset) to get the backpack .... finally calms down ...... we go to the last night of bowling league .... he bowls his high score of the season of 156!

Too bad the school didn't inform DS that there would be an electrical fire 10 minutes before it happend and we would not have had a problem, LOL!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1353
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Hi, all. Things here are fine. DS is doing ok in his first year. Tonight he came home to tell me that he joined a lab group in electronics class! He'd been doing everything singlehandedly and taking a lot of time to finish the labs. Tonight, he actually initiated conversation with the other guys to work on the project together. Woo hoo!
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #1354
blondietink
DIS Veteran

That's great!

Whoo hoo!!! Went to Surrogates Court on Monday and was granted guardianship of both my DS's. Papers came in the mail today! Total cost to us: $20.00 each. So glad I live in a rural county.

Now just have to deal with the 4.5% cut to OPWDD services that New York State has implemented in their newest budget. UGH!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #1355
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! That is great. New York is cutting the budget in all the wrong places.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: