Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Addiction

I just need a place to vent. My best friend, just informed me that she has been struggling with a painkiller addiction. This is the second time this has happened in the past two years. We thought we had squashed it, but once again, her addiction spurred out of control and she called saying that she was getting in over her head.

While I have every intention of getting her clean asap, I told her that the fact that she admitted it to me was a big step in the right direction. I remained very supportive and encouraging, she is a well-rounded and wonderful girl, whose surgeries and over-prescribing doctors have led her down a very destructive path. One of which she has kept a well hidden secret for months.(I am so angry at myself for not seeing any signs (or not wanting to see...). I know we can pull through this.

She has yet to tell her fiance about this problem, as he is in the dark as well. She is terrified of his reaction, because he has been angry that they haven't been spending any time together, and it's because she's been going to NA meetings. She is also worried because he will get mad and leave her for keeping this secret from her. I think that he reacts like that, he isn't worth keeping around anyways. But telling him is a nevertheless big hurdle because he will be upset, as anyone would be.

I have dealt with addiction in my family, in my extended family, all alcoholics. My dad has been sober for ten years So I was able to give her a great example of how there is light at the end of the tunnel. I knew she was taking a big 'step' in the right direction, and that addiction is much more than, 'why don't you just stop?'. I just wanted to talk it out. I hope I reacted the right way...and I am praying she gets better.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

Well your friend is lucky to have you offering your support. I agree with you that it is a positive thing that she has recognised the problem and is seeking out help.
I am sure it will be hard for her to tell her fiance and I hope that they will be able work through this together.

Hugs to you for being a good friend.

Quasar
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

You sound like a wonderful friend and I think that you handled it perfectly. Just being there to listen, as a shoulder to cry on, to encourage her and to support her during this time has to mean the world to her and I'm sure it helps a lot.

Hopefully, her fiancee will understand that relapsing is part of the process. I have known people that have decided to quit and never relapsed, but the majority do. Like you said, if he cuts and runs because of this, while it will be devastating to her, it is best that it happens now and not years down the road.

Part of loving someone and marrying them is sticking with them through thick and thin. It may not be pretty all the time, but it's life.

I pray that your friend gets all the help she needs, is able to kick the habit, stay clean and has a wonderful wedding.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your kind words quasar & Heidict. I really appreciate it. We talked again last night, now she has her head on a little straighter. She was telling me how there has been such a weight lifted off of her now that I know. I have only high hopes for her now
Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Brenle
DIS Veteran

I'll be praying for your friend, too!
Brenle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Hope all is going well. Prayers from here.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: