Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Opinions on Disney Movie Club?

I'm sure there's a DISer who's done a cost breakdown on the Disney Movie Club (where you get 4 DVD's for $1.99 each and then you have to buy ___ more movies at their full price to fulfill your membership commitment).

Any opinions either way? Is it a great deal? Do they have some rare or unusual titles that might be hard to find anywhere else? Anything they omit from their catalog? Do they ever have sales that don't count toward your commitment?

What do their shipping costs end up being on regular DVD shipments? I know when I was in BMG CD club, their discs were priced well, but the cost of shipping made them almost as expensive as buying at the store. But sometimes they'd have a great sale.

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/

Peace

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
disneydiva0729
:tink: Disney Dreamin'

Believe it or not, my family actually hold 2 DMC accounts. I think it is great!! I think that the costs of the movies are very, very comparable to purchasing the movies at a regualar store even when you consider the shipping. They do frequently offer great specials in many cases where one movie will count towards your commitment while the rest of the discount group will not. They also offer a double feature every month where if you choose, you can get a 2nd movie with your feature movie for a substancially discounted price. I like that the DMC keeps you informed easily about the coming ins and going outs of the vault. I also like that you have 2 years to complete your commitment. (Not that it ever takes me that long Also, once you complete your commitment, you get additional discounts on movies offered through the club, and when you refer friends, you get free movies!! Hope this helps :D

Me 22 DGf 21
"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again" ~ Narrator, Peter Pan
disneydiva0729 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
disneydiva0729
:tink: Disney Dreamin'

Also DMC often runs promotions for enrollments where you get more or the same amount for less. This website, http://www.retailmenot.com/view/disneymovieclub.go.com has many of those offers listed although I am not sure which ones are active. I know that when I subscribed it was 5 for $1.00 each :D

Me 22 DGf 21
"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again" ~ Narrator, Peter Pan
disneydiva0729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
a paper star
Mouseketeer

I'm a member of DMC. I actually joined because I wanted to DVD set that I wasn't able to find in stores or online, which is cool about this because it offers so many different types of movies, tv shows and dvd sets. I think it's fair pricing, I mean it's practically the same price as in stores, and they have sells which you can get a movie for 50% off. The only things that don't count for a purchase are CD's, Memorbilla, basically anything other than dvd's. You have to purchase them within a year, I believe, so it counts, but once your a member you are allowed to cancel you membership. Every 4 weeks they send you a catalog and ask if you want to order a movie new to the club, if you don't you send it back saying you don't want it but you have to do it before a certain date or the movie will be sent and you'll have to pay for it.
a paper star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
julio5150
Earning My Ears

Pardon my ignorance, do they have blu-rays as well?
julio5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
a paper star
Mouseketeer

Julio Yes, Blu-rays are sold as well.
a paper star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

The offer I saw via MyPoints has a separate club for Blu-Rays. The cost is higher, but the # of DVDs you're obligated to purchase is smaller.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

You can also sign up for the regular club and still get blu rays. After being a member for 1 year I got an email saying if i change my perfered format to blu ray I got a blu ray for $10. But just becuase perferred is blu ray doesn't mean I have to buy all blu ray. I like the club, but w/ the $10 off blu ray coupons that disney has been issuing for new releases, i don't use it much. I think it's worth it.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
elemusing

I love DMC. The cost of a DVD + shipping is $25.90. I have paid this a few times - know the price by heart. That seems high, but the great thing is when they offer the $10 deal. I have stocked up on all my Disney movies this way! And they have some great deals on getting your collection updated to Blu-Ray.

Now if they would just offer Song of the South. But that is not going to happen.
'14 - AoA -DS's marching band at MK!'14 - DL First Trip! GC
elemusing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
Do they have some rare or unusual titles that might be hard to find anywhere else?
I'm not a member (I have often considered it and may join eventually), but I know they do, in fact, offer some exclusive titles that aren't available anywhere else. These are usually less well-known films from the company's catalog, and they're usually bare-bones releases -- but if they happen to offer something you really want, that might make you happy.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
goisles26
Earning My Ears

Here is a thread I created helping people understand the DMC:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ney+movie+club
goisles26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
wendyinoc
Mouseketeer

I just finished my blue ray commitment and plan to stay on. I like it and they give alot of good deals if you buy more than 1. Its a great way to get a Disney Collection going. I also pay to have the online option as well. You get a website where you can watch all your movies. Sometimes the movie comes with it or you pay $2.99. Its great for my netbook.

wendyinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
bella77
Mouseketeer

Are the DVD/Bluray combo packs included in the DMC library?
bella77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
goisles26
Earning My Ears

The majority of the combo packs are availible: UP, Snow White, Toy Story 1 &2 to name a few
goisles26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
cinder4066
Earning My Ears

I love DMC, I am currently deployed an have been for 10 months now. When I get the email saying 60% off which happens a decent amount of times through out the year I inform our 20 guys out here. We then all pretty much buy everything aha. It's addicting but great saving we all chip in the pay the most expensive one then we all proceed to each get what we want and either send them to our families back home or watch them out here. I love DMC. Never had any problems with them.
cinder4066 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: