Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Chapter 4.Dining plans and ADRs

No, I'm not on the DDP. This chapter is about my plans for dining.

When I first started planning for this trip, I really liked the idea of the DDP. But I knew I wouldn't eat that much, and didn't like the idea of having to make all those ADRs and planning my day around those meals.

This is before the QSDP and the online ADR system came out. It was really hard deciding whether I should go with a dining plan after all.

I mean, that QSDP is PRETTY sweet. I knew I would be eating a lot of snacks cause I LOVE snacking. And I knew we would only be eating CS meals for our trip. I was also already planning to buy the refillable mug.

The deciding factor was my experience from my past trip. WDW's adult-sized meals are simply TOO big for me! We discovered after a day of eating at Epcot that none of us could finish the meals we bought, so after that, we started ordering more kids meals. And those combos actually turned out to be just my size! My brother (going through puberty at the time) still got an adult combo, so my sister and I would eat off his.

I read through all of the menus at Allears, and deemed most of the kids meals worthy. Too bad there isn't much variation in them, amirite? Mostly chicken fingers, pizza, mac and cheese, and PB&J... Fortunately, Andrew will be ordering from the big kids menu, so I can eat off his plate.

I also found out from researching online that I can buy the food a la carte. Which will help keep the cost down.

So in the end, it came down to cost, and eating OOP was just much cheaper than getting the QSDP, cause I certainly don't eat enough for it to be worth it. I'm looking into it for my next trip though. I'm taking my cousins and siblings to the World in 2013.

And since my cousins will only be budding teenagers, it'll probably be more convenient for my aunt to have their meals prepaid, rather than entrust them with a lot of cash while we're there.

Soooo, I bet you're dying to know my choices for dining eh??

But first, let's see where I ate on my last trip!

Magic Kingdom
-Cosmic Ray's
-Pinocchio's Village Haus

Epcot
-Cantina de San Angel
-Tangieriene Cafe

HS
-Pizza Planet
I think we ate dinner back at the hotel...

AK
-Pizzafari
And again, I think we ate at the hotel

So as you can see, I actually didn't get to experience much of the dining WDW has to offer.

Ok, on to where I plan to eat.

These are all based on what I've read online, of reviews and such, and a little of my own experience (which isn't a lot). Where I actually choose to eat at will be based on where we are when we get hungry, but our choices will be narrowed down with this list. I want to eat at mostly new places this time, which won't be very hard.

Magic Kingdom
-Cosmic Rays (this is practically a must. I ate here last time and loved the chicken. I actually didn't notice the fixings bar, so I might be getting a burger this time)
-Turkey leg cart (I really want to try one of these!)
-Casey's Corner (I hear good things about those mini corn dogs)
-Pecos Bill
-Columbia Harbour House (recommended by jenbear123 )

Animal Kingdom
-Picnic in the Park
I think that's it, since I plan to have dinner at Boma. Flame Tree Barbeque sounds good, but we'll have plenty of that when we eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe

Hollywood Studios
-Starring Rolls Cafe (As soon as I saw their sandwiches and desserts, I drooled buckets)
-Toluca Legs Turkey Company (in case I didn't get any at MK)
I don't hear a lot of good things about the CS in HS....so I'm hesitant to list any more. Can anybody change my mind?

Epcot
Ahh Epcot.....Epcot is the exception here. Since most of its eateries are very good, I'm going to list the places I WON'T eat at.
-Mexico (Cause I had it last time)
-China (Being Chinese.....I doubt the food being served at WDW is worth the price....I've been spoiled)
-Japan (Pretty much the same thing as China, minus the being Japanese part. Coming from a multi-cultural city like Toronto, I can get amazing Japanese food at the fraction of the price of Yakitori House)
-Morocco (Again, cause I already had it last time)
-UK (I'm actually not sure about this one....I'm a fan of fish and chips, so what if the Yorkshire County Fish Shop makes AMAZING fish and chips?? Someone help me out here)
-America (I can get this food any time, no way I'm going to bother eating here)

We also plan to drink our way around the WS. I hear German beer is very good and I can't wait to try a margarita in Mexico! I'll be buying drinks for Andrew as one of my birthday presents for him

Downtown Disney
-Earl of Sandwich
-Wolfgang Puck Express
-Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop

Resorts
-Boma
-Whispering Canyon Cafe
-Beaches and Cream
-ESPN Club
-Boardwalk Bakery

As I have already mentioned, I have ADRs for Boma at 8pm and WCC at 2:30pm. I thought I would have more to say about them.....I guess not.

I wonder if it's obvious yet that I'm an adventurous eater? Especially on vacation or when I go somewhere new, I always try to have foods I can't have back home. I mean, I never know when I'll be returning (not talking about WDW), so this may be my only chance to eat those foods. Or even just choose foods I don't get to eat often at home.

When my family went on a cruise a couple of years ago, every night, the menu would have something different, but also the usual steak and potatos for those that aren't risky eaters. I always tried a different appetizer, entree and dessert. But my sister would only ever get steak. I was in heaven the day they served escargots. I think I got 3 servings of that appetizer!

I almost forgot to mention. Snacks! On our last trip, the only snacks we got were McDees fries (crack to my little sister),Itzakadoozie popsicles, and a funnel cake (best in the world, I swear) . I don't know why we never got a Mickey bar!

So, this is my list of snacks
-Mickey ice cream bar
-cotton candy (Andrew's favourite)
-frozen banana (this is totally new to me. Didn't even knew these existed until Arrested Development. So now we HAVE to try them!)
-funnel cakes
-Dole whip

Wow, that sure was a long chapter. It took me a long time to come up with my lists. Please let me know what you guys think of it!

Last edited by YukiPhnx; 05-04-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Message to the lurkers

Hey lurkers, I know you're out there!

I have no problem with you lurking, but just let me know you're there! This is my first PTR ever so I'm not even sure if I'm doing things right!

So just give me a holler to help boost my confidence a little! Thanks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Chapter 5.Birthday surprises!

As you already know, I've planned to celebrate Andrew's birthday while we're at WDW.

He's never been much for birthdays. He's more of a it's-just-another-day type of guy.

Unfortunately, he's dating a girl that LOVES all kinds of celebrations, especially birthdays. So he's just going to have to deal with it

I LOVE getting surprises, and love giving them as well. So I've already planned for a couple of little surprises for his birthday.

For one, I got him this.

One day when we were talking about our trip, he brought up his interest in looking for Hidden Mickeys. I told him about these a while ago and he remembered!

He assumed he would be bored while waiting in line and waiting for me to shop , so he told me he was going to make it his goal to find at least 10 Hidden Mickey's in each park.

So, loving and thoughtful girlfriend that I am, I picked up a copy and have been hiding it from him ever since. I plan to whip it out when we get there and surprise him with it!

That way, he'll at least have some direction when looking for them, and we can turn it into a game of who can find the most Hidden Mickeys!

My next surprise for him, is a cake. I'm planning to order a small 6 inch cake from the POP kitchens and having them send it up to our room!

I'm also planning to buy him his first drink in Orlando at Petals Pool Bar soon after we check-in.

What do you guys think of these surprises???

I've looked into a lot of other things. I'm not made of money, so many of the tours and experiences are out. I've also looked into Disney Florists for their champagne package, but I don't think we'll be able to finish the bottle and don't really plan to bring any home.

Some people have suggested I pick up a small bottle of wine when I'm at Epcot.

Initially, I looked into getting him a Pirates Mickey hat, but I already know there's NO WAY he would ever actually wear it.

So, does anyone have any good ideas for inexpensive (or even FREE) birthday gifts or experiences I can do? We're already planning on picking up a button, so I already know that.

Please give me your ideas!

Last edited by YukiPhnx; 05-04-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

or take a few drinks purchased at Petals and walk over to the Bridge to NoWhere and sit and enjoy the view....or if you're anywhere near Epcot or DHS, take a ferry over to the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club area and walk around Crescent Lake and sit on the beach....
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
or take a few drinks purchased at Petals and walk over to the Bridge to NoWhere and sit and enjoy the view....or if you're anywhere near Epcot or DHS, take a ferry over to the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club area and walk around Crescent Lake and sit on the beach....
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea! I plan to walk down that bridge at least once while I'm there.

And wow, that beach walk sounds really romantic
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #21
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
We-my DD and I debated over buying the unofficial guide verses the unofficial Guide Color Companion to WDW-and in the end we went with the color companion-it has tons of pics including rides,rooms etc and it even has a bit of humor in it. I will be going to the library and borrowing the regular unofficial guide.
love you planner--i just got a small planner that will easily fit in my park bag
and plan to decorate it.
Your plans sound great--by all means get andrew a birthday button and make sure he wears it!!!
Great thinking on your part about planning a "down" day--
I picked up the UG Color Companion today at Boarder's and flipped through it...amazing! I may see if my local library has that one and at least check it out...maybe see how many times I can renew it before they come looking for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx View Post
Well for me, I knew I could look at all the pictures I wanted online. But it's a great way to get your kids pumped for the trip!

You have NO IDEA how long it took me to choose a notebook! I went to dollar stores EVERYWHERE to find something that was light, portable, well space, and cute(yes, that was important) to use as my travel notebook. It came down to this and a pink one with a heart in it. Dollarama has great notebooks to choose from.
I JUST picked up the perfect...kind of...notebook today.

Inside:

I'm not sure thought if I'm going to save it and use it to jot down trip plans and then take it with to the World and use it to take notes of our days...or if I'm going to use it for a food/weight loss journal starting this summer.

Quote:
Chapter 4.Dining plans and ADRs

No, I'm not on the DDP. This chapter is about my plans for dining.

When I first started planning for this trip, I really liked the idea of the DDP. But I knew I wouldn't eat that much, and didn't like the idea of having to make all those ADRs and planning my day around those meals.

This is before the QSDP and the online ADR system came out. It was really hard deciding whether I should go with a dining plan after all.

I mean, that QSDP is PRETTY sweet. I knew I would be eating a lot of snacks cause I LOVE snacking. And I knew we would only be eating CS meals for our trip. I was also already planning to buy the refillable mug.

The deciding factor was my experience from my past trip. WDW's adult-sized meals are simply TOO big for me! We discovered after a day of eating at Epcot that none of us could finish the meals we bought, so after that, we started ordering more kids meals. And those combos actually turned out to be just my size! My brother (going through puberty at the time) still got an adult combo, so my sister and I would eat off his.

I read through all of the menus at Allears, and deemed most of the kids meals worthy. Too bad there isn't much variation in them, amirite? Mostly chicken fingers, pizza, mac and cheese, and PB&J... Fortunately, Andrew will be ordering from the big kids menu, so I can eat off his plate.

I also found out from researching online that I can buy the food a la carte. Which will help keep the cost down.

So in the end, it came down to cost, and eating OOP was just much cheaper than getting the QSDP, cause I certainly don't eat enough for it to be worth it.
I continue to go back and forth on whether or not to do a dining plan when we go. My Cons are the same as yours...don't eat enough to make it worth it (as portions are huge) and not wanting to plan my days around ADR's. Pros would be that it's all prepaid for. And that's it.

I think in the end, we won't do a DP. There are really only 2 places I have on my ADR list (at the current time lol) that we can just pay OOP for (which I'll be sure to include that in how much we'll need to take with us).

And can I add...Hidden Mickey Book...totally awesome! I picked it up while we were at WDW back in 2008...flipped through it. We found maybe a half dozen of them. Of course, when you're travelling with a 14 month old (at the time)...you can't stay in one place too very long. lol But I think you guys will have a LOT of fun with it.

Quote:
I just don't understand why you don't have a girlfriend/fiance/wife yet. :P You're such a catch!

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)

Last edited by *Seanaci*; 04-16-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
I JUST picked up the perfect...kind of...notebook today.

Inside:

I'm not sure thought if I'm going to save it and use it to jot down trip plans and then take it with to the World and use it to take notes of our days...or if I'm going to use it for a food/weight loss journal starting this summer.

POOK-A-LOOZ!!!!!!!!!!!! That's absolutely ADORABLE!!!! I neeeed to go to a Disney store soon to look for that new line.

And ya, with something SOOO cute, it's hard to choose exactly what you want to do with it! I'm a notebook collector, so I have these really cute notebooks I still haven't touched!

And can I add...Hidden Mickey Book...totally awesome! I picked it up while we were at WDW back in 2008...flipped through it. We found maybe a half dozen of them. Of course, when you're travelling with a 14 month old (at the time)...you can't stay in one place too very long. lol But I think you guys will have a LOT of fun with it.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to looking for those Hidden Mickeys! It's going to be so much fun!

I just don't understand why you don't have a girlfriend/fiance/wife yet. :P You're such a catch!
DITTO! He's just such a romantic! And a cutie too!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #23
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea! I plan to walk down that bridge at least once while I'm there.

And wow, that beach walk sounds really romantic
It's nice anywhere along Hourglass Lake, but the Generation Gap Bridge has a lot of nice seating areas....
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #24
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
It's nice anywhere along Hourglass Lake, but the Generation Gap Bridge has a lot of nice seating areas....
Jordy, are you sure you're 48? Cause I swear you think like a 20 yr old!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #25
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Jordy, are you sure you're 48? Cause I swear you think like a 20 yr old!
maturity level? yes 20...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
maturity level? yes 20...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

HELLO FELLOW TORONTONIAN! So you go to school at the 'Loo? Sorry couldn't resist. I'm sure you hear that all the time.

Great start to your trip planning so far! I didn't know Pop did 6 inch cakes. That's awesome! It's so cool how you get dressed up in costumes. Only the best fans do that

Might I suggest trying Columbia Harbour House in MK for a CS? They have really good sandwiches, salads, and wraps. Not to be missed! You'll LOVE Beaches and Cream.... as long as you order the right thing. If you read my current TR about my trip in Feb, I was very disappointed in what I ordered. I was expecting a BIG sundae but got this little scoop of ice cream instead. Word from the wise, order one of the sundaes priced at $7.99. Those are the ones you want!

I stand by the UG. My mom actually discovered it and once I realized how good it was, I bought a 2009 version for myself. This was before I had discovered the DIS. When I got my appendix out last February, I was down and out for a week. I was googling stuff about Disney and stumbled about the DIS. It was like a gold mine waiting to be discovered!

I'm in! Subbing
Old 04-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Chapter 6.The ride's the thing

I would describe myself as a thrill-seeker. That's not to say that I don't enjoy non-thrills though. I'm a lover of all kinds of entertainment. Which makes WDW truly the best place for me. I get everything I want! Coasters, stage shows, moving theatres (Star Tours), arcade games, street performers, 3D shows, and everything in between!

On my last trip, I missed out on a lot of rides I knew I would've loved. So here's a list of the attractions I just CAN'T miss, but happened to miss on my last trip.

MK
-Monster's INC Laugh Floor (I didn't "miss" this attraction per se. It wasn't there when I went)
-Splash Mountain (I know, HOW could I have missed this one on my last trip??? Well, on the day we went to MK, it was cloudy and the temperature was pretty cool. We waited for the day to warm up, but it never happened.)
-Aladdin's Magic Carpets (I LOVE Aladdin, so I'm going to try to convince DBF to go on this one during evening EMH, when we HOPEFULLY won't have to wait an hour to get on)
-Liberty Belle Riverboat (This just seems like a nice break to take during the day. I love boat rides)

Epcot
-Test Track (Again, another "how could I have missed it???" ride. Epcot was the first park we went to, so we didn't even know about the fast passes. All we saw were super long lines to get in ALL DAY and decided to pass on it.)
-Nemo ride (Also another attraction that wasn't there in 2006)
-Sum of All Thrills (I'm really excited about this one! I hope the lines aren't too long, it sounds like so much fun!)
-Ellen's Universe of Energy (I didn't even KNOW this ride was there! But I Ellen, so I must go on this)
-Oh Canada! (Only because I haven't seen the new one. I heard it's much better than the old one.)
-Kim Possible's WS Adventure (I can't WAIT to help KP save the world from one of her villians! I watched every KP episode and movie )

AK
-Nemo the musical (Hesitant about this one....I know I would enjoy it, but DBF isn't big on musicals)
-Kilimanjaro Safaris (I actually didn't know this was there either. We just never actually went to that part of the park)
-Rafiki's Conservation Station (This seems like a really fun little break. I can't wait to go to the petting zoo!)

HS
-Toy Story Mania of course!!
-Tower of Terror (Another shocker! I was actually just too chicken to go on this ride at the time. Some thrill-seeker right? But after conquering one of the scariest rides at my local amusement park, I'm ready to take on ToT. I've just never been a big fan of falling rides....)
-One Man's Dream
-Great Movie Ride (Another attraction I didn't know about. How do I keep missing these? )

So I'm really looking forward to experiencing all of these

As soon as I scan them, I'll post up pictures of some of the rides we DID go on. Ta ta for now!

Last edited by YukiPhnx; 06-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbear123 View Post
HELLO FELLOW TORONTONIAN! So you go to school at the 'Loo? Sorry couldn't resist. I'm sure you hear that all the time.

Great start to your trip planning so far! I didn't know Pop did 6 inch cakes. That's awesome! It's so cool how you get dressed up in costumes. Only the best fans do that

Might I suggest trying Columbia Harbour House in MK for a CS? They have really good sandwiches, salads, and wraps. Not to be missed! You'll LOVE Beaches and Cream.... as long as you order the right thing. If you read my current TR about my trip in Feb, I was very disappointed in what I ordered. I was expecting a BIG sundae but got this little scoop of ice cream instead. Word from the wise, order one of the sundaes priced at $7.99. Those are the ones you want!

I stand by the UG. My mom actually discovered it and once I realized how good it was, I bought a 2009 version for myself. This was before I had discovered the DIS. When I got my appendix out last February, I was down and out for a week. I was googling stuff about Disney and stumbled about the DIS. It was like a gold mine waiting to be discovered!

I'm in! Subbing
Yay, another one from the T-Dot!

Can you believe our school chant is:
What do we drink?
Water water water!!!!
Where do we go after?
Loo loo loo!!!

Yeaaah, dressing up in costumes for conventions is the best. It's just so much fun!

Columbia Harbour house eh? I'll have to add that to my list!

A $7.99 sundae at BnC, got it. I can't wait! I'll have to hop over to your TR too

Same here! I bought the UG before discovering the DIS! I dunno how it took me so long to find this place, I already found Allears and MouseSavers

Thanks for joining along on my trip planning!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

Quote:

But after conquering one of the scariest rides at my local amusement park, I'm reading to take on ToT.
Would that amusement park happen to be Canada's Wonderland? And would that ride happen to be the Behemoth? If it is.... you're quite the thrill seeker!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: