Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Parmcat
Mouseketeer

Six Days at POR and why you need to travel with Insurance (LONG)

I know most people know all the attractions at all the theme parks, so this trip report will not spend too much time on the rides, and attractions, but some of the smaller subtle things we noticed/did while we were in Disney. My wife, 2 boys (Zach 8 and Mason 6) as well as my sister in law (for only 3 nights) arrived at MCO via Airtran on Sun Apr 11. at 8:00 in the morning.

Firstly, I must say that I was super impressed with Airtran. After having flown Spirit almost exclusively for many years, I may have found a new carrier. Seats were bigger/more comfy, free drinks, and free XM radio were a big hit.

Next I must comment on the whole Disney Magical Express program. WOW. What a great thing. Luggage arrived in our room about an hour after we did. It was so nice not having to lug the luggage while checking, in, and getting out bearings at POR. We made one stop, and then straight to Port Orleans Riverside.

Speaking of POR, I could not have been more happy with this resort. It is pretty big, as we were in building 57 ( I think) We had a bus stop right behind out room, and a bridge right across to the main pool, and to the main building, but far enough away that the noise didn’t bother us at all. As we were there 2 weeks after Easter, the crowds were down, and we could maneuver at will wherever we went, and the resort was no exception. We ate in the food court for breakfasts and one dinner, and were quite happy with the food. Good quantities on the DDP, and never had to wait for a table to sit. It was very very nice to be able to grab a very decadent piece of cheesecake as a daily snack. I would happily return to POR anytime! We also rented a surry bike, went fishing (no luck) and used the arcade. We still didn’t see the whole resort. It was so clean, lush, and a pleasure to stay at. The mouse keeping was really invisible to us. We tipped the first day, and we had all our needs met. Having 3 adults, we requested a room with a trundle, but didn’t get one. We planned ahead and brought a blow up mattress, and the mousekeeping supplied us with fresh linen each day for it. Only issue was no port to plug my laptop in. It had been damaged, and not repaired before we checked it…no biggie.

Now, onto the trip:

We arrived on Sunday, got checked in, and had lunch, then headed to the Magic Kingdom. We had been up since 2:20 am to get to the airport ontime, so it was going to be a long day. Got there and first thing we saw was Chip n Dale signing. My wife made autograph books, and the kids were off and running…great start. I must say the first time you look down main st, and see the castle, it puts goosebumps on your arms. Pictures do not do it justice at all, and I just stood there for a minute, staring in awe!

We made our way around as much as we could, doing a bunch of things, and FP Space Mountain. Ate at Pecos Bill. It was OK only. My burger was good, but the wifes taco salad was below par. We had all the intentions to stay for the parade and Wishes, but we just couldn’t make it. Headed back to POR and got to bed. My feet were sore, and my toe looked swollen and was painful.

Day 2:

We had 10:00 reservations at Tusker House for Donalds Breakfast. Got there in plenty of time so we could wonder a bit before breakfast. Saw some characters and had a bunch of photopass shots taken here. Tusker House food was average, but the place was cool. Kids got all the autos (aside from Donald) and we were off to safari. This was fun, but I wish the car would go a bit slower, or even stop ever so often. We did the other walking tours, and rode Kali River rapids twice. Loved the Monkeys at the exit of the rapid ride! Oldest went to Expedition Everest, and we went to Dinoland. The ride “Dinosaur” scared the living crap out of my 6 year old…so riders beware! Saw DeVine and got some shots of her…very cool! Watch the parade, and the Tree of life. Time to head back to POR as we were going back to MK this night to see Spectro and Wishes. Got there around 7:30 and set up shop. The shows were just spectacular. My kids were even very happy that we went back (after waiting for 90 minutes, I was worried!) The crowds were still big, but exiting the park was no problem. Toe was getting worse and more and more painful!

Day 3 (Tuesday)

Breakfast at POR and off to DHS. Oldest son went to Tower of Terror and loved it! Did Star Tours, and both boys got picked for the Jedi Training…the highlight of their trip! It was such a special thing! We then went to The Indiana Jones show, and I got picked as an extra in the show…as a laugher. Was great fun, and my kids thought I was the coolest! My highlight…LOL Went to Sci Fi Dine in for dinner and had some tasty ribs. Tried to get only the Pixar Spin ride, but the wait was over an hr, and the park was closing…plus we did Buzz Lightyear at the MK. My toe is now almost unbearable. Get back to POR and my SIL takes the kids swimming as my wife and I try to figure out something for my toe. Call the front desk, and they say there is a walking in urgent clinic not far. They have a free shuttle that will pick me up, and return me to the resort. I call my travel insurance to make sure all is well, and off I go by myself. Wait time is about 2 hrs, but the service here is second to none. Big screen in the waiting room, free wifi, and drinks available to buy. I get in and the DR says I have a very very badly infected ingrown toenail and will need surgery to have to fixed. My options are have it done there or bare the pain and do it when I get home. I am there now, so I choose to have it done there. Take about 20 minutes, and I will spare you the details about how painful it was, but it is done. I am suppose to stay off my foot for 24 hrs…yeah….right! Get my meds from pharmacy, and head to POR to get some rest.

Day 4 (Wednesday)

We went to Chef Mickeys for breakfast, and the kids loved it. Got more autographs and pics! I limp to Epcot with the family after the monorail ride. I slow everyone down, but we get around. MY SIL get us FP for Saorin, and we head to the Nemo ride to kill time. Crushes show was very funny, and we head to Saorin….wow…so cool, and I am terrified of heights…LOL SIL runs to Test Track to get FP for us, before she has to depart back to Vegas. What a big help she was these few days. Do Honey I shrunk, and look at the topiaries, and then hit up Test Track…..BEST RIDE EVER! Went part way around the world, and met Mexican Donald. He was great! Love it. Dinner today is at Coral Reef. Good food, good views, and dessert was amazing (crème brulle) Quite expensive if not on the DDP. Hobble out back to POR for an early night, and the kids can have a swim.

Day 5 (Thursday)

This was suppose to be a return day to any park that the kids wanted to go to, but because of my toe, we stayed at POR, and relaxed a bit. Rented a Surrey bike, went cane fishing, arcade, and relaxed by the pool. Headed to the MK for our last dinner, at Crystal Palace for the Pooh dinner. By far the best meal of the trip. Even as a buffet, the food here was just amazing. Highly recommended. After dinner we wonder a bit, get more photopass pics (ended up with 57 total) We end up going to DTD for a bit to check out Legoland, and a few other shopping places before taking the boat back to POR for a swim. (the kids anyway) Toe is feeling 100 times better then it was…but sore nonetheless.

Day 6 (Friday, departure day)

Breakfast at POR foodcourt and a quick swim for the kids. Then the best part…LOL checked the luggage and checked in at the POR airline checkin. No bags to carry to the airport…was so nice! Magical Express back to MCO, and an equally nice flight back to Detroit. I am pooped!

Summary:

1: Always travel with insurance. We came from Canada, and never cross the boarder without it. My little ordeal will end up being in the 3500.00 neibourhood

2: Disney knows how to move crowds of people quickly.

3: Crystal Palace and Coral Reef were very good. Sci Fi was good, and Tusker House was OK. The POR food court was surprising good.

4: We really planned too much. We saw the must do’s that the kids wanted, but next time, less of a plan and more time will be needed.

5: I am doing this from my head, as I can not find my notes right now…possibly more to add later.

Feel free to shoot my any questions you may have!

All the best

Sean

Last edited by Parmcat; 04-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Loved your quick yet detailed version of your TR! So sorry to hear about your toe - ouch!! Great tip to remember your health insurance information when traveling - you never know when you may have to use it. I think I would have had the surgery done right then as well - might as well get it over with and if your toe was going to hurt plus your insurance was taking care of the cost.

Sounds like a great trip after all - we love to fly Air Tran too! (hope your toe is healing nicely!)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Nice quick report! Thanks for sharing. Hope your toe is better off now. I am a planner, and while I can't imagine going "less plan" I can indeed imagine more time.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

I see you've already planned your next trip!

Sorry about your toe.

We fly out of buffalo. I've used Airtran before and not had any problem with them.

I stayed at POR before. Managed to grab a trundle bed room but then we had 5 people in the room. It's a lovely resort and we loved the boats but found the room was just too small for all of us.

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground
Old 04-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Parmcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondintheruff View Post
I see you've already planned your next trip!

Sorry about your toe.

We fly out of buffalo. I've used Airtran before and not had any problem with them.

I stayed at POR before. Managed to grab a trundle bed room but then we had 5 people in the room. It's a lovely resort and we loved the boats but found the room was just too small for all of us.
The room was perfect for us, as we didnt really spend a lot of time there. The beds were so nice though, and the pillows were huge.

Can't wait to return!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
YellowJackets
Earning My Ears

Great!

Great report, heading to POR tonight, will be there Saturday morning, nice to hear it was good experience.

Trips -
3 times with parents when I was a kid, all offsite
1997 2 adults, ASMusic
2004 2 adults, 2 kids, Pop Century
2010 2 adults, 4 kids, POR
Sept 2012 2 adults, 4 kids, Pop Century

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: