Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #166
myelton01
Mouseketeer

wahoo! another update!!! I love it! I'm glad Adam had a good time with the ToT. He really does make a cute Peter Pan. I love the views you posted, I miss that.

Really stinks that the guy cheated! I think I want to try and make it to the adult shows.

I must say, I read the last update, and the first sentence you wrote made me laugh. I think I'm going to be the same way and make MIL take a picture of her room also.

Can't wait for another update! opcorn:
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #167
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Oh so **THAT GUY** at Magic Quest was one of your table mates?!?!? LOL! Yea he was definitely cheating over there. I'm pretty sure he had to bring those shoes along with him..you don't just see size 14 heels everyday (well...my old boss with duck feet used to have a pair but I'll digress)

That's something we need to do more, night time strolls on deck! Remind me in September!

Adam is just so stinkin cute as Peter! That picture of him on deck as you approach KW is awesome!!! I'm so glad he had fun at the ToT!

Can't wait for more!!!!!
Thankfully we don't see him for the rest of the cruise. I was strange. At the beginning of the cruise, we would run into the same folks over and over. By the end, we would see a different set of folks and wonder if the first set was even on the ship. Isn't Adam a ham? I jusrt wrote the next one last night, now just have to wait on the Dis servers to be nice to me to post :P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelton01 View Post
wahoo! another update!!! I love it! I'm glad Adam had a good time with the ToT. He really does make a cute Peter Pan. I love the views you posted, I miss that.

Really stinks that the guy cheated! I think I want to try and make it to the adult shows.

I must say, I read the last update, and the first sentence you wrote made me laugh. I think I'm going to be the same way and make MIL take a picture of her room also.

Can't wait for another update! opcorn:
DW told me you were dying. I'm totally looking for to our Dream trip coming up.
(and the Fantasy trip that we are sneaking in.)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #168
Fastpaks

A Pleasant Surprise

My wife and I didn't care if we were first or last off the ship. We made our way down to deck 2 and proceeded to walk off the ship. I was amazed at the size of the Magic.

We got a map from a local vendor. They were in abundant almost everywhere. I found the Southern Most Point and started are way down Duval Street. It was a beautiful day for a walk. Not too hot, but enough that you wanted to be outside for a walk. Fantasy Fest was the night before, so it wasn't a surprise that the street was fairly barren with people. We would find out later that the locals come out later in the day. After all, they were partying pretty late at night.

Duval Street is a fun little area full of tourist traps (small shops.) We found everything from designer swim-wear, shoes, towels, pictures with animals, and even carved decorative soap. Oh and bars. LOTS of bars. Lol

While we were walking, I checked my cell phone email to see that my DU agent had contacted Disney about the OBC. This is where I found out that Disney was at fault and not DU. I felt a little bad about my email to DU. I was a little harsh and made a mental note to email her when I get back and apologize. My wife was grabbing sometime on her Facebook account when I noticed a women on a bike wearing the smallest of clothing on and told her to look up at that moment. I laughed pretty hard as she is a VERY conservative individual but still knows how to have a good time. I would get her again with a man later down the road. All I could think of was its KW!

We made our way to Margaritaville for some T-shirts and souvenirs. Then proceeded down Duvall Street until we got to 0 Mile Marker. There was a nice hotel next to the mile marker. To the right of the marker about ½ block away was the Southern Most Point. Very easy to find. We waited in line which wasn't terribly long. It would turn out that the lady behind us was... you guessed it. Another Disser. Morgan's mom who graciously took our picture and we returned the favor.

As if on cue, my wife needed to find a restroom. We walked back to the “souvenir stand” and my wife made her way into the hotel. Or so she thought. LOL. She came back a few minutes later and told me she needed to go to the hotel across the street (called the Southern Most Hotel or something like that). She was blushing and I asked her what had happened.

It turns our the steps that she thought took her to the lobby was someone's room at the hotel. She heard a noise from the bathroom and then got out of there QUICK! It still makes me laugh. As she did her thing, I went to the end of Duval Street which is nothing more than a concrete pier. The beach there is clothing optional, so you may not want kids down that way. I could tell you a story but there too but may be it would be better saved for a future Dismeet of some sort. If you ever see me ask me about it sometime.

We made our way back up the street on the other side. She was thirsty as was I, so we did what any good person would do on Duval Street. We checked out a local bar.

My wife is a lover of all things rum, so this place fit perfectly. Everyone was a local inside and we heard plenty about Fantasy Fest and the shenanigans that went on there. Then he told my wife an I some good stories about the how he got there and that sort of thing. Afterwards, we needed stopped at a few of the shops finding nothing really before we made a quick stop at CVS for some last minute things. It was close to 4:30pm by that time and we needed to get back to the ship. Dinner was soon and we were becoming quite hungry. Not to mention, some weather appeared to be rolling in although it would be nothing.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #169
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
My wife was grabbing sometime on her Facebook account when I noticed a women on a bike wearing the smallest of clothing on and told her to look up at that moment. I laughed pretty hard as she is a VERY conservative individual but still knows how to have a good time. I would get her again with a man later down the road. All I could think of was its KW!
We didn't see too much we shouldn't have that day. Just one lady wearing nothing but body paint! And in true Halloween fashion, even though I don't think she intended it to be, it was quite scary!

Quote:
As if on cue, my wife needed to find a restroom. We walked back to the “souvenir stand” and my wife made her way into the hotel. Or so she thought. LOL. She came back a few minutes later and told me she needed to go to the hotel across the street (called the Southern Most Hotel or something like that). She was blushing and I asked her what had happened.

It turns our the steps that she thought took her to the lobby was someone's room at the hotel. She heard a noise from the bathroom and then got out of there QUICK! It still makes me laugh.
Hilarious!!That'll teach 'em to lock the door!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #170
Fastpaks

Quote:
Hilarious!!That'll teach 'em to lock the door!!
Something tells me in KW, its not uncommon. Though I love to poke fun at my wife about it.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #171
Fastpaks

Allergies: Dinner #2 goes from Bad to Worse

Warning: if you don't want to hear something bad of DCL then go ahead and skip this next post. Personally, I think that when you have a bad experience its how people react to that experience that ultimately get my business. If you have food allergies, you may want to read this too, so that this may not happen to you.

We showed up a little late to dinner. We were excited to eat in the Animator's Palate. In a way, we were hoping that our table mates wouldn't be there. However, when we got to our seats we quickly realized that they would not be joining us as they never showed up.

We were asked about our drinks and then given our menus. My wife has several food allergies that I think I have stated before. (But endame, blue cheese, mustard, lemon grass, fava bean, and she doesn't eat pork because some family reasons.) I was under the impression that she would be able to have a “special” meal if there wasn't something that she could eat. When she opened the menu, she read her choices and I could read her face that something was wrong. I read all 7 possible entrée, my wife could eat one. And it had pork. The other bad thing about it was that it would be the 2nd night she would have pasta.

She was frustrated. So was I. We got our drinks and bread ordered what we could. My wife again wanted a salad with some sort of dressing(anything) I ordered some tuna tar tar. Then we waited. And Waited. And Waited. Like I have said earlier, I have one real pet peeve. That pet peeve is when my drink goes empty. A lot of the times to make it easier on the wait staff, I'll order 2. My drink was empty after the appetizers found their way to our table. My wife didn't care for the butternut squash soup

but I loved my tuna tar tar.

Her salad was grass. No dressing yet again. My son had ordered some steak and some ketchup.

This was the highlight of the night. Our server attempted to slice the steak up, which felt very weird becasue you could see him shake. I didn't want to offend him when he asked if it was ok. The peices were rather larger for kids mouth lol

Meanwhile it had been about 10 minutes since I had seen a assistant server for a drink. 10 minutes later, I finally talked to another assistant server about our drinks. Our head server came back for our order on main courses. My wife and I would both choose the pasta. She ordered hers without the pork element on it. I mention the drinks to which he said he would check on it. 10 minutes later our assistant server showed up with no drinks, because she was working on another able. I asked her about some and she told me after the show it would be the first thing. My temper was heating up and heating up fast.

The show took place and then our entrées showed up. DS had some steak which our head server cut for him. My plate showed up then my wife. If looks could have killed, she just shot me one. Here is my entrée with everything

and here is hers.

I was ready to explode by this point. To add to my fast growing tempter, our server then told us that if the chef knew what my wife would have wanted earlier, he could have accommodated us. This was the first time, we were told this at all on the cruise. I felt that I was going to completely lose it, so I excused my self from the table and went outside. I was furious because I had read the reports of how someone with allergies could be taken care of. On top of that, I didn't know WHO to talk to about the situation as this was our first cruise. If I would have known what I know now, things would have been different from the start. I seriously doubted I would have had the issue about this at all. I sent my parents a text message about how the cruise is an awful experience and wished I hadn't had come. After a few more minutes, I gathered myself and headed back inside.

By now my DS wanted to go to the restroom and my DW said she would take him. It was here that I noticed a chef walking around to the tables. All I could think was “I hope, I only hope that this guy doesn't come to my table.” It had been nearly 50 minutes since I seen a drink of anything when he arrived to our table. He asked nicely, “how was your meal?”

I wasn't rude but I was quite upset and it was pretty apparent. To say it nicely, I let him have a good ear full about everything. The salads, I questioned there was no dressing on the ship. I wanted to even be nice about it and say that I understood that chefs like the meal to “flow.” I remember asking him about their not even being Ranch or French dressing at least. I told him about my wife's allergies to which he took out a little note pad and began taking notes. He found our table in his pad and rechecked everything. He apologized about the entire situation from start to finish. He told me that this shouldn't have ever had happened and that he promised the next meal that we would have would be one we would not forget.

At that point, I'm not sure I was in the mood to hear it, but I understood the gesture of goodwill and knew that in my case I just needed to cool down. He then asked me if I wanted to entrée sent to our room as I hadn't touched it. I told him I haven't touched it because I was still waiting on the drinks from about 50 minutes ago. Another apology. I then showed him my wife's plate to which you could see the disappointment on his face and understood where I was coming from. I reiterated that I chose DCL because they accommodate my wife's allergies. Another apology. I told him that I had lost my appetite which wasn't entirely true but I really was so angry that I just wanted out of there. He told me that things will be different and soon. HE would personally see to it. Chef Matt told me that had he had any idea of what my wife would have wanted he would have found something for her.

Dinner at that point was almost done. We didn't bother with dessert because what was the point. Most people had started heading out anyway. It was clear dinner service was over. He asked one last time if I wanted any food sent to the cabin and I declined. The last thing I wanted to do was have dinner in my room. By now my wife had made it back, heard most of what I told and agreed with it all.

The odd thing about the entire experience was NOW we got the menu for the following night's dinner where my wife could pre-order around the food she was allergic too. I don't know that if is was something our server didn't think of before, but now that he had we both that that at the very least dinner would be better tomorrow.

We excused ourselves took my son (who had ate) to the Oceaneer's Club. My wife and I then had no idea what to do next but we knew we were still hungry and would figure out something.

Next: The Best Hidden Meal on the Ship?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #172
Fastpaks

The Best Hidden Meal On the Ship

It was well after the 7:30pm, my wife and I stil hadn't had anything to eat. I knew there was Topsiders buffet available so we thought we would try there. We made are way up to Topsiders and we seated by a super friendly CM from Trinidad and Tobago. He was a really soft spoken guy. When were being supposed to be eating in the same areas, but to us it was a little refreshing to eat in the same area with the crew.

We explained my wife's allergies and our situation down stairs. He told us no problem and that they were serving the menu al la carte. My wife opened the menu only to find out, it was the same as down stairs. EVERYTHING she was allergic to was on it. Except one thing. The offered a Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms and spring vegetables and mash potatoes. I think we had just died and went to heaven. A few minutes later, one of the officers that was in charge of the buffet came out and asked us about my wife's allergies and then queried us about our experience downstairs. We told them about the mess up with my wife's meal. He assured us that we would have our meal out and it would be soon.

Something think that Topsiders may not be the best place for dinner, but in many ways, I'm glad we did. Quiet, and bit romantic as we had a window (that all you could see is black but still). One on one service because there was no one there. If nothing else, it felt like a nice place to sit back and just restart the cruise. When dinner came out, all I could think of was wow! Believe me the pictures don't do this justices. IT amazes me when the steaks come out perfect. Rarely, does that happen in my experience with steak houses. These were perfect!

(Some of these pictures, do not do the food justice!) That is a porterhouse steak on mash potatoes and some steamed veggies. I promise. lol

After dinner, we took another stroll around the boat because we nothing else really to do since we had missed another show.

After walking around the top deck for a bit my wife and I made our way to the “shopping areas” and on our way we ran into the Goofy just hanging out. I jumped in with him and he asked about my night. Lol O boy. I just told him it was a rough one but getting better.

After our pictures, some shopping, we headed off to deck 4 then eventually to deck 5 for the Costume contest. There several great entries including the Wizard of Oz, Toy Story, and one guy that was a statue complete with bird droppings. Lol I tried to get pictures but all of them came out very blurry. The winners received a bowl of candy and some limited pins that you could find at the “shopping district.” After everything was over, we got DS from the Oceaneers Club and retired to our stateroom for the night.

Next: Character Breakfast and We meet the Leader of the A-team
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #173
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

All caught up again- I'm so glad I know already that the story has a happy ending! I didn't know about the Topsider steak- looks yummy! And I have to say- Adam is just the CUTEST in his Halloween costume (and always!!).
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #174
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

WOW Jonathan, I hadn't heard those food stories. Poor Amy...I'm glad that DCL finally stepped up to the plate (pun intended) but after much family agony! Good info in your TR about Topsiders -- I had no idea that was a place to go to for dinner. Steve would have done cartwheels to have had a steak that looked like that! Me, not so much. I'm a fish and raw veggie fan!

Beth

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #175
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Well, of course I knew this installment was coming- and I have to say it seems even worse now that I see the picture of that pitiful plain pasta..ick!

Of course I know what is yet to come too... Something I will be very excited to see pictures of!

You are right- even with the fuzzy picture that Topsider's steak looks Ah-mazing!

It's funny how many of us watched the costume contest from up on Deck 5, we must have all been spread out across the bannister!

Ah, it's only uphill from here and I'm ready for more!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #176
threeiscrazy
DIS Veteran

Location: Home is where the Navy sends us, for the moment Northern Virginia

Ughhh! Between the food and the table mates dinner sounds stressful, now that hopefully the food starts to get better maybe the table mates just stay gone?

Cory entered that costume contest...he didn't win, but he said the guy who did, the Mad Hatter, had a great costume.

We didn't come across Goofy that night as we were dealing with our own family drama I might have to book another Halloween Cruise to see him and leave the extended family behind.

I'm glad the night ended on a happy note.

Discover
threeiscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #177
Fastpaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
All caught up again- I'm so glad I know already that the story has a happy ending! I didn't know about the Topsider steak- looks yummy! And I have to say- Adam is just the CUTEST in his Halloween costume (and always!!).
You are right, things do get so much better. Including my wife and I getting a chance to sit down and talk to you. It was truly a pleasure to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
WOW Jonathan, I hadn't heard those food stories. Poor Amy...I'm glad that DCL finally stepped up to the plate (pun intended) but after much family agony! Good info in your TR about Topsiders -- I had no idea that was a place to go to for dinner. Steve would have done cartwheels to have had a steak that looked like that! Me, not so much. I'm a fish and raw veggie fan!

Beth
I can't believe there was someone on the ship that didn't know about that night. The steak I promise was to die for. I'm not much for Asian cuisine and had I known, it would have never been a second thought.

Quote:
Well, of course I knew this installment was coming- and I have to say it seems even worse now that I see the picture of that pitiful plain pasta..ick!

Of course I know what is yet to come too... Something I will be very excited to see pictures of!

You are right- even with the fuzzy picture that Topsider's steak looks Ah-mazing!

It's funny how many of us watched the costume contest from up on Deck 5, we must have all been spread out across the bannister!

Ah, it's only uphill from here and I'm ready for more!
It still cracks me up that as many people as we (dissers) had on the ship, we would run into the same set of folks for the first few days, and then see a completely different set the next. I want to think this about the last time we saw you and Ron till Margerativille?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeiscrazy View Post
Ughhh! Between the food and the table mates dinner sounds stressful, now that hopefully the food starts to get better maybe the table mates just stay gone?

Cory entered that costume contest...he didn't win, but he said the guy who did, the Mad Hatter, had a great costume.

We didn't come across Goofy that night as we were dealing with our own family drama I might have to book another Halloween Cruise to see him and leave the extended family behind.

I'm glad the night ended on a happy note.
I was looking through some more pictures and that night, I believe you all were sitting right behind us. If I recall correctly, Adam found a man that was having little fun splashing some kids either on day 1 or a few days in. If I remember that correctly, they were related to you all?

I understand about another cruise. We booked 2 and I'm trying to figure out how to fit yet another one in the middle. As far as the food, it still blows my mind. I just wish the camera would have take better pictures.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #178
CherylA
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed the updates especially about your day in Key West. I hope I get weather that nice when we go in Nov.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #179
ashleeb
Earning My Ears

I just wanted too say your wife is gorgeous and your son is so cute! I love his lashes!! (: Keep em' comin!! (:
ashleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #180
Fastpaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylA View Post
I enjoyed the updates especially about your day in Key West. I hope I get weather that nice when we go in Nov.
I would think you would. Nov tends to be a very nice in KW. We had nearly perfect weather the entire trip. I know a friend of mine goes there every year in Nov and from her pictures it looks like good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleeb View Post
I just wanted too say your wife is gorgeous and your son is so cute! I love his lashes!! (: Keep em' comin!! (:
Thanks for the compliments. My son was told that so much about his eye lashes that he tried to rip them out on his last trip to the world in March. Thankfully he gave up when he realized it wasn't worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: