Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #121
jerlove
Hello

2010 Dec AKL Kidani

Booked standard room
Got Savanah room bunk bed room

CM asked me at check in if I willing to forgo my request for a room close to the lobby in exchange for a very long walk? I was confused but the smile on the CM's face made me ask why? He explained that he was upgrading us but wanted us to be aware that it was to the furthest room from the lobby you could get. I then noticed it was on the Savanah and thanked him. Once we get to the room we were surprised again to see bunkbeds in the room. The kids loved them.
Jan 12-CBR
Nov 12-POR
Jan 15- AKL and BC

jerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #122
Disney52303
Mouseketeer

No a resort but DCL. We were booked on the Wonder in February 2009, interior room using DVC points (split stay after at SSR). We got an upgrade to oceanview which was amazing!!!!! I will never forget waking up in ports seeing the islands, other cruise ships, etc. Wonderful Disney magic!

Lots of childhood trips with family. As adult, '95 - Allstar Sports, '03 - POR (for our Disney wedding at the Poly); ASMo for one night, Magic (Western) honeymoon, '05 - joined DVC!, '07 - SSR, '08 - ASMu, '09 - SSR, Wonder, '10 - SSR for Princess half marathon, HHI, '11 - POFQ, '12 - BLT, Fantasy Western, Magic to Canada, BWV

Upcoming:
5/23-2012-5/27/2012 BCV
11/9/13-11/14/13 AKL & 11/14/13-11/17/13 3 nighter on the Dream!
10/30/14 girls' weekend on the Dream
12/27/14 NYE Eastern on the Fantasy!

Disney52303 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #123
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

-Resort: Grand Floridian
-Upgraded from:Garden View
-Upgraded to:concierge level in Sugar Loaf
-Special occasion (if any) none!

-Upgraded to:RPC, concierge level in the main building
Jungle Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #124
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
-Upgraded to:concierge level in Sugar Loaf

-Upgraded to:RPC, concierge level in the main building
Wow! You are one lucky person!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #125
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

GF-booked garden view standard room

We were upgraded to a room with a large living area with another tv and a rotunda full of windows! No special occasion.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #126
Buttercup2009
Mouseketeer

-Upgraded to:Lagoon View
-Special occasion (if any) Just Magic!

We paid for Garden View and when we checked in they didn't tell us we had an upgrade so we didn't find out until we got to the room and walked out on the balcony and saw this view! Gorgeous!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #127
Cwilson
Earning My Ears

I saw this thread and was intrigued! I never knew that they did upgrades. Then again, I have only ever stayed at the Value resorts, so I'm not sure how much "upgrading" there is to do there. We are staying at a moderate ~ Caribbean Beach for the first time in October!!! I upgraded when they announced free dining. I told the representative that I spoke to on the phone that it was our first time at a moderate, our first EVER family vacation, and our kids' first WDW trip! He said that he would note that on the reservation. Think it's too much to hope for an upgrade????
'97 - Offsite
'01 - All Star Movies
'08 - All Star Sports
'11 - Caribbean Beach Resort
'12 - Offsite
Cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #128
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

Resort: Contemporary
-Upgraded from: Garden Wing Garden View
-Upgraded to: Tower MK View
-Special occasion (if any): Anniversary

Resort: Coronado Springs
-Upgraded from: Standard
-Upgraded to: Preferred King
-Special occasion (if any): Just Magic

Now if POP could just be overbooked when I arrive next Sunday at 11pm

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #129
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Resort: Coronado Springs
Upgraded to: Yacht Club courtyard view
Occasion: Spring break.
SOG was booked, so we got an overflow rate at Coranado Springs. At check-in, we were asked if we would mind staying at the Yacht Club instead...heck no!
(heard when I got back that Marie Osmond and company showed up and needed a few rooms. )
However, now I am DYING to stay there at a time I can enjoy the pool, but can never justify $300 a night. Bummer!
May I ask, what timeof the day did you check in?

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #130
TRICKY_TINK
Mouseketeer

Love all this !! Hoping for a little to get a Pirate room at CBR next month. I bought MNSSHP tickets instead of upgrading. Were all going as pirates so it would be a cool upgrade. So come on Tink pour on the
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #131
disneymama148
Earning My Ears

Resort: AKL
Upgraded from: Savanah view bunk bed room
Upgraded to: CL Savanah view
Occasion: None

We did enjoy the Club Level, but our upgrade was a bit of a mixed blessing as the room did not have bunk beds and I really wanted them. I had actually called at one point to upgrade to CL (and pay for it) but they didn't have any CL bunk rooms available so I said I would rather keep my bunk room. When they said we had been upgraded I was thrilled, until I saw the 2 queen beds. Luckily I hadn't told the kids about the bunks or they would have been very disappointed. Since they weren't aware of the bunks, they were thrilled with the snacks on the CL.
disneymama148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #132
DelaneyJ
Mouseketeer

This is such a nice thread
I am wondering if I am even eligible for any kind of room upgrade. We are staying at the BWV 1 bedroom standard view. I don't think so but it sure would be awesome!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #133
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Resort: WL
Upgraded from: Standard
Upgraded to: Woods View Bunk Beds
Occasion: None! We were fully expecting two connecting rooms with queen beds. But when we arrived at the rooms, we had one room with the two queens and one room with a queen and bunk beds which meant that DD had a bed to herself! Consequently, hubby and I didn't have to share a bedroom room with any of our kids! Priceless!

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #134
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
No a resort but DCL. We were booked on the Wonder in February 2009, interior room using DVC points (split stay after at SSR). We got an upgrade to oceanview which was amazing!!!!! I will never forget waking up in ports seeing the islands, other cruise ships, etc. Wonderful Disney magic!
Ditto for me; we were there on a very slow week. It had been my third year in a row and I always booked the inside cabin 5585. It was like my room.

Imagine my dismay when they told me I had been moved to another location. My heart sank. I asked for an explanation of why I wasn't getting my special cabin.....The CM was new and didn't know quite how to handle it so she called out a manager.

He explained the boat was especially empty that week and they wanted to move everyone up and consolidate us so the staff could better service us and they could give some staff some much needed time off, since they had a very busy week before.

Imagine our surprise to have an oceanview room on deck 7. Good marketing tool as well; we have never booked anything less than oceanview.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #135
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwilson View Post
I saw this thread and was intrigued! I never knew that they did upgrades. Then again, I have only ever stayed at the Value resorts, so I'm not sure how much "upgrading" there is to do there. We are staying at a moderate ~ Caribbean Beach for the first time in October!!! I upgraded when they announced free dining. I told the representative that I spoke to on the phone that it was our first time at a moderate, our first EVER family vacation, and our kids' first WDW trip! He said that he would note that on the reservation. Think it's too much to hope for an upgrade????
While this is a great thread, it doesn't really explain in depth how upgrades occur.

Upgrades happen if a resort is overbooked or there is a maintenance issue with a room and they have to relocate you to another category.

It doesn't have anything to do with being first-timers or the time of day you check-in, it is all a matter of luck. And CM's are not able to arbitrarily upgrades for no reason, there has to be some sort-of operational or booking issue in order to do so.

However, it is still nice to see some people's stories, but you must remember this only represents a fraction of the people that go to Disney every day that don't even post here. Disney fills rooms over and over again; I'll bet the chance of an upgrade is probably about 1% or less.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: