Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
mickey317
Earning My Ears

ASMo or switch to POR......possibly AKL???

Hi, Checking in next week......We are booked for ASMo but are considering switching to POR or maybe even a standard room at AKL. Is AKL worth the $$$ without a pool or savannah view? Would POR give us more space than ASMo?
Travel party of 2A 2 K. Thanks!

Last edited by mickey317; 09-22-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: wrong timeframe
mickey317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
gardenia
Mouseketeer

AKL is a huge step up from ASMo... it's an experience in itself, whether you have a "view" or not. Every hallway is a viewing experience!! I would switch to AKL in a heartbeat if I could.
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay in August between ASMo and POR. We liked ASMo and have no real complaints. It is what it is - value, double beds, clean, cute themeing for kids - it is our kids favorite resort. DH and I loved our POR room - larger room, queen beds that were so comfy, newly renovated room (smelled so fresh and clean), huge bathroom, closet.

We are going back in December and staying at ASMo due to our tight budget.

Not sure you can compare ASMo and AKL.....

Last edited by gillenkl; 09-22-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at ASMo or POR so I can't comment on those, but we loved AKL. We've stayed in a pool view and savanna view and while the savanna view was nice being able to walk out onto the balcony first thing in the morning and see animals, we loved our pool view just as much . I agree with the pp that AKL is a great resort with or without a view from the room. There are so many places to watch the animals and so much to see at the resort overall that having a view from the room isn't a necessity, IMO. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
LGH1946
Mouseketeer

AKL wonderful if you can afford. I like POR FQ a lot and the rooms and beds are bigger than All Star.
LGH1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Nohal
DIS Veteran

Booked bounceback for next year when we were there. We always stay at ASMo because I would rather take the money saved and stay longer. I had the CM check the price for 2 adults for 8 nights with an 8day park hopper for next year between ASMo and POFQ, POFQ was $700 more even if we upgraded from QS to DDP POFQ would still have been $400 more. So check to see what the prices would be and if there is availability at the other resorts and then make your decision.
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran

The queen beds make a huge difference between the values and moderates. I'd upgrade to POR. We love it there. Lots to do right at the resort. Really it has everything a deluxe has. I say upgrade to POR but save the $ and don't bother with AKL.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
shoney
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR last Feb. It was our first onsite stay so I don't have anything to compare it to.

If you were to switch to POR, IMO, it would be for the pool w/slide, grounds, boat to DTD, carriage ride, the grounds, Bob in the lounge, Boatwrights and NOT for the room!

We weren't impressed with the room at all. It was probably one of the smallest rooms we have ever stayed in. Yes, it was newly refurbished, but it wasn't done with high quality items. The linens and towels were very poor. We didn't think the bed was comfortable.

It was fine. We weren't in the room much anyway. I wouldn't switch just for the room.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
mickey317
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the advice We ended up switching to AKL standard view - fully knowing we could be looking at the parking lot all week - lucky us - when we checked in were given a savannah room view on the 2nd floor!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: