Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #676
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
I just got back from Universal yesterday. Here's what a TM told me about the Jaws section. I'm not going to say where the person worked so I don't get them in trouble, only that it was somewhere on site in the parks, Citywalk or in one of the on site hotels.

They said that the Jaws area is definitely going to be Phase II of Harry Potter. Guests will ride the Hogwarts Express between the two areas. Work will start on the new area after the Harry Potter section in the LA park is finished.

That's all I found out, hopefully something official will be released soon. I'm excited to find out what they have in the new area. My DH wants a Gringots mine ride.
They've already been demolishing the Jaws area, so work has already begun. Also, the HP area in Hollywood isn't supposed to open until 2016, it seems very unlikely that they ripped down Jaws but aren't going to start working on the next attraction until 2016.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #677
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran
 
Pluto0809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
They've already been demolishing the Jaws area, so work has already begun. Also, the HP area in Hollywood isn't supposed to open until 2016, it seems very unlikely that they ripped down Jaws but aren't going to start working on the next attraction until 2016.
Ah well, they could have been completely pulling my leg for all I know.

I will say that I didn't ask for information, I was just was talking about liking the HP section and they proceeded to tell me about expanding.
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #678
triplefigs
Triple Chick
Triple the Kids
Triple the FUN!
Bama Alumni
 
triplefigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,580

Dose Universal Studios do any kind of guest pass similar to the GAC pass at WDW for guests with disabilities?
triplefigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #679
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefigs View Post
Dose Universal Studios do any kind of guest pass similar to the GAC pass at WDW for guests with disabilities?
They sure do. Just check in a guest services when you arrive.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #680
triplefigs
Triple Chick
Triple the Kids
Triple the FUN!
Bama Alumni
 
triplefigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
They sure do. Just check in a guest services when you arrive.
Does it offer similar type accommodations? Do we need a doctor's note? Thanks for any help.
triplefigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #681
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefigs View Post
Dose Universal Studios do any kind of guest pass similar to the GAC pass at WDW for guests with disabilities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefigs View Post
Does it offer similar type accommodations? Do we need a doctor's note? Thanks for any help.
no doctor note needed.
guest services handles the gac.

you'll get a card and you present it to the TM at the ride/attraction.
you'll be given a return time for that ride/attra.
(that is if there is a wait in that line)

no wait when you return.

if you can't do stairs, you'll use the elevators for the rides that have them.

there are different types of gac.
it will be explained to you when you talk to the TM at guest services.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #682
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns
 
Eclectic Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 396

Hogwarts Castle Queue Protocol

This came up when we were at WWoHP last week, and I’m just looking for more perspective on the situation.

With the “castle tour” closed, the regular line for FJ was a mix of people trying to experience the castle and people trying to get on the ride. When people are stopped taking photos or video, I’ve always thought it was acceptable to step around them and continue in the line. Mind you, I’m not talking about someone who stops to take a single photo, but someone who’s obviously soaking up the atmosphere and/or trying to document everything in the room.

I saw most people doing this while we were there and we did it ourselves several times. I don’t see a problem with it. When I stop to listen to Dumbledore’s entire welcome speech, or hoping that Ron will make it snow, I expect people to pass me. Our first time through the line, I told the HLP to do the same, despite her reservations, and told her is was fine. But on our second to last day, we saw a young woman obviously getting upset because people were passing her while she was photographing the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. When she finished taking her photos, she somewhat rudely pushed forward through the line to regain the spot that I suppose she felt she deserved.

So, do you pass, or wait? Should someone who wants to stop for a significant amount of time expect everyone behind them to wait?
__________________

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #683
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess View Post
This came up when we were at WWoHP last week, and I’m just looking for more perspective on the situation.

With the “castle tour” closed, the regular line for FJ was a mix of people trying to experience the castle and people trying to get on the ride. When people are stopped taking photos or video, I’ve always thought it was acceptable to step around them and continue in the line. Mind you, I’m not talking about someone who stops to take a single photo, but someone who’s obviously soaking up the atmosphere and/or trying to document everything in the room.

I saw most people doing this while we were there and we did it ourselves several times. I don’t see a problem with it. When I stop to listen to Dumbledore’s entire welcome speech, or hoping that Ron will make it snow, I expect people to pass me. Our first time through the line, I told the HLP to do the same, despite her reservations, and told her is was fine. But on our second to last day, we saw a young woman obviously getting upset because people were passing her while she was photographing the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. When she finished taking her photos, she somewhat rudely pushed forward through the line to regain the spot that I suppose she felt she deserved.

So, do you pass, or wait? Should someone who wants to stop for a significant amount of time expect everyone behind them to wait?
There are widely varying points of view on this subject. Some think it's fine to wait on someone taking lots of pictures, while others think you should pass immediately someone who has to stop to tie their shoe. I've seen many a thread on this same topic (often regarding TSM at DHS) go downhill over it. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

My particular answer is that if I want to take a while to stop in the queue for whatever reason, I let others pass. If I am behind someone who wants to stop for a while, I look for an invitation of some kind for me to pass, otherwise I wait. At some point though, I'm going to walk past them anyway. Courtesy goes both ways.

This is why I don't like the idea of closing down the Castle Tour queue occasionally to accommodate crowds.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #684
piraterunner
Mouseketeer
 
piraterunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 248

Hello, this is new territory for me... We have booked a trip to WDW Sept 28-Oct 6 I recently discovered that it falls on our Canadian Thanksgiving so we don't have to be back until Monday evening. My daughter who is turning 5 in a few weeks is obsessed with HP. I was thinking about tacking on an extra day or 2 to go to Universal. We are not renting a car so I was wondering how to get to Universal and better yet how to get to the airport after. Is this difficult? I like the simplicity of the Disney transportation and am hoping that Universal offers something similar. How much time do I need there with a 5 year old? We are hoping for a growth spurt she is currently 43inches and absolutely loves rides. When we were in DHS in March she rode to TOT 8 times!!!! So where should we stay? What are the must hit attractions? If we left WDW Saturday in the pm and had the entire day Sunday would that be enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated
piraterunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #685
kkproulx
DIS Veteran
 
kkproulx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sycamore, IL
Posts: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by piraterunner View Post
Hello, this is new territory for me... We have booked a trip to WDW Sept 28-Oct 6 I recently discovered that it falls on our Canadian Thanksgiving so we don't have to be back until Monday evening. My daughter who is turning 5 in a few weeks is obsessed with HP. I was thinking about tacking on an extra day or 2 to go to Universal. We are not renting a car so I was wondering how to get to Universal and better yet how to get to the airport after. Is this difficult? I like the simplicity of the Disney transportation and am hoping that Universal offers something similar. How much time do I need there with a 5 year old? We are hoping for a growth spurt she is currently 43inches and absolutely loves rides. When we were in DHS in March she rode to TOT 8 times!!!! So where should we stay? What are the must hit attractions? If we left WDW Saturday in the pm and had the entire day Sunday would that be enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated
You can take a taxi to Universal from Disney. We stay at Royal Pacific Resort (for the Polynesian feel! Coming from Illinois I want the tropics as much as possible while we are down there!). IF you stay at one of the Universal sites you get access to the parks an hour earlier than non-Universal Resort stayers. Unfortunately, Universal does not transportation like Disney. You can have Mears Transportation (I think it's $18/person) or a taxi to the airport. Your DD will LOVE Harry Potter! We are on our countdown....we'll be there in 22 days!!! Have fun!!!
__________________
Kimberly
2007 October Grand Floridian
2008 October Beach Club
2009 December Yacht Club
2011 February Beach Club/Royal Pacific
2012 March Royal Pacific/Beach Club
2013 March Board Walk/Royal Pacific
2013 December Swan/Royal Pacific/Caribe Royale
2014 October Hard Rock/Beach Club
kkproulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #686
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,535

mears increased to $19 rt for adults, $16 for kids last year.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #687
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkproulx View Post
You can take a taxi to Universal from Disney. We stay at Royal Pacific Resort (for the Polynesian feel! Coming from Illinois I want the tropics as much as possible while we are down there!). IF you stay at one of the Universal sites you get access to the parks an hour earlier than non-Universal Resort stayers. Unfortunately, Universal does not transportation like Disney. You can have Mears Transportation (I think it's $18/person) or a taxi to the airport. Your DD will LOVE Harry Potter! We are on our countdown....we'll be there in 22 days!!! Have fun!!!
Well, Universal does not need transportation like Disney. Everything at Universal is so close together, and what little can't be walked between does have transportation in the form of boats or shuttles.

Neither Disney nor Universal provides transportation to the competition.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #688
xipetotec
DIS Veteran
 
xipetotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 1,622

Do they still make you get a "return time pass" ( fastpass for lack of knowledge as to what they are called at Universal ) for Wizarding World? I guess it depends on how busy the parks are. We are going March 7th...

If so, where do they distribute these passes? At the Wizarding World entrance?
__________________
Steph



xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #689
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
Do they still make you get a "return time pass" ( fastpass for lack of knowledge as to what they are called at Universal ) for Wizarding World? I guess it depends on how busy the parks are. We are going March 7th...

If so, where do they distribute these passes? At the Wizarding World entrance?
I havent heard of this happening for a while now--even over the holidays. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though. For March 7, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #690
xipetotec
DIS Veteran
 
xipetotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I havent heard of this happening for a while now--even over the holidays. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though. For March 7, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Awesome. And the Three Broomsticks *is* a counter-service restaurant we can just walk up to right? All this talk about reservations are only for the breakfast experience?
__________________
Steph



xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: