Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #241
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgonigle View Post
Can anyone recommend an authorized ticket vendor to buy IOA tix in advance?

Also, is Ollivander's worth the line, in your opinion?

What time in advance should we get to the gate if IOA opens at 9 a.m.?

Is it safe to assume that we could do WWOHP all morning, and then evening/night, but during the day check out some other IOA stuff? Our primary objective is WWOHP but it seems as though there may be time in a whole day to take in other sights.

Thanks!
Undercover Tourist is another authorized seller that gets a lot of good reviews and recommendations.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #242
pmcgonigle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You can purchase online at from Dreams Unlimited, from mapleleaftickets, and many others.

What time of year are you going? If it is in low season, you can do WWHP prettty much any time.

Going on 1/21! Do you think there is time to do other IOA stuff AND fully experience WWOHP?

THANKS!
pmcgonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #243
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgonigle View Post
Going on 1/21! Do you think there is time to do other IOA stuff AND fully experience WWOHP?

THANKS!
Oh ya! You should be able to do the entire park easily.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #244
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

We're going to Orlando 3/1-3/9 and looking to do IOA one day. I'm thinking either 3/2 or 3/7. From what I've found (not much), 3/7 will be a little more crowded than 3/2 because of a few spring breaks and because it's the day before Mardi Gras. Will either of these dates be very crowded, especially for Harry Potter?

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #245
Angelapm
Earning My Ears

January travel

Advice on hotels and lines, please!
We'll be arriving in Orlando the afternoon of January 14th, with plans to do IOA (well, Harry Potter mostly!) on Saturday, then we leave for Miami Sunday. We were going to stay on site Friday night to take advantage of early admission Saturday and the express line thing. Saturday we had planned to use points and stay at the Hampton or Doubletree across the street, as 2 nights onsite is too expensive. So I'm wondering, given that it's off season is it really worth it to spend that extra $200+ on an onsite hotel Friday night? I'm thinking of just using points and staying across the street both nights instead, and having patience and waiting in line. Thoughts?? Kids are 8 and 5. Thanks!
Angelapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #246
Boardwalk Tigger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Oh ya! You should be able to do the entire park easily.
Not when the park is really crowded! If you are not into a lot of rides maybe but no way you will do Harry Potter completely and do all of the park. The wait times even for express will kill you. Just there today!

BTW I wish Disney had done this instead of Universal. This area is just too small! What were they thinking?????? Not enough space. Should be double or triple the space with a working train etc. Not enough stores, attractions either. I am glad we went but all I could think of was how much better Disney would have done it. Too bad JKR wouldn't allow characters in HP world.

Last edited by Boardwalk Tigger; 01-03-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Boardwalk Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #247
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk Tigger View Post
Not when the park is really crowded! If you are not into a lot of rides maybe but no way you will do Harry Potter completely and do all of the park. The wait times even for express will kill you. Just there today!

BTW I wish Disney had done this instead of Universal. This area is just too small! What were they thinking?????? Not enough space. Should be double or triple the space with a working train etc. Not enough stores, attractions either. I am glad we went but all I could think of was how much better Disney would have done it. Too bad JKR wouldn't allow characters in HP world.
The entire park is very doable unless you go in high high season.

Disney did give Rowling a proposal. They wanted to do one ride that would be like Toy Storia Mania. No other theming, no shops, no restaurant. They were turned down. They actually were planning on doing a much, much smaller area than Universal did, so I am very glad they didn't get the rights.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #248
Tink2Day
Mouseketeer

damo, sadly I agree.
When Walt was still alive and Disneyland was brand new, it was exciting to see each area as it was developed and how he tried to keep it somewhat authentic and a village type feeling. Like New Orleans Square and Fantasyland.
Then it all seemed to become about bigger, not necessarily better.

With the size of the WWOHP right now you can definitely get a feeling that you are walking around in Hogsmeade. I hope when/if they build phase II they keep that in mind.
Disney now seems all about running from ride to ride for some people.
Tink2Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #249
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk Tigger View Post
The only thing Disney would have done better? Stick mouse ears on everything which is one reason why JKR didn't want walk around characters. I mean...a little mouse with a HP costume would have been cute but hardly authentic.

I'm interested in how you think Disney would have done WWoHP better than Universal. I'm sure others on the board would like to hear your ideas as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #250
ldmilton
Mouseketeer

While I love Disney, I for one am very happy WWOHP is at Universal and not Disney. For me, Universal is easier to navigate – no waiting for buses. It’s an easy walk from hotel to UO or IOA and easy to walk between the two parks. It is also much less expensive. Just bought a Preferred AP at Universal…no way could I afford the AP at Disney. Hotels at Universal are less, too (when compared to WDW deluxe), especially with the AP rate. I will be able to enjoy WWOHP more often at IOA than I would had it been at Disney.

I will see it for the first time in 5 weeks. I know I will not be disappointed.
ldmilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #251
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

Yes Boardwalk Tigger, please tell us how you think Disney would have done it. Like how they did when they got the Star Wars rights, build one ride, with a gift shop? Or when they built Toy Story, one ride? Yes, WWOHP is small, but to walk around saying "Disney would have done it better. What is this butterbeer? Tastes gross, Disney would have done it better! What is this Forbidden Journey ride? Ew it's high tech and the effects are really lame. Disney would have done it better!" Is really rude.

I know for a fact that Disney WOULD NEVER had built Forbidden Journey the way it is now. It's too dynamic and "intense" for them. I could see them doing a special effects magic show, an omni-mover and a wand shop. Since it's Disney though, the fans will think it's the greatest single thing to grace the planet since human life stepped out of the primordial ooze.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #252
ksdave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Boy View Post
Yes Boardwalk Tigger, please tell us how you think Disney would have done it. Like how they did when they got the Star Wars rights, build one ride, with a gift shop? Or when they built Toy Story, one ride? Yes, WWOHP is small, but to walk around saying "Disney would have done it better. What is this butterbeer? Tastes gross, Disney would have done it better! What is this Forbidden Journey ride? Ew it's high tech and the effects are really lame. Disney would have done it better!" Is really rude.

I know for a fact that Disney WOULD NEVER had built Forbidden Journey the way it is now. It's too dynamic and "intense" for them. I could see them doing a special effects magic show, an omni-mover and a wand shop. Since it's Disney though, the fans will think it's the greatest single thing to grace the planet since human life stepped out of the primordial ooze.
Agree with the above. Although I grew up on WDW (see signature), I have really found so many things that are better at UO. Although I would still go to WDW if I could afford to do a week-and-a-half in Orlando, I have only been to UO for the past eight years because, quite frankly, UO is more entertaining and a much better value for my $$$. My daughter gets to go for her 21st birthday present tomorrow through Monday and I am reallllly jealous .
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #253
ang
"My life, my love, my children"

Is the the The Three Broomstics a restaurant or counterservice?

We can't wait to eat there...is this place really really crowded?

Another ?? Can you just walk into the wizarding world to go eat or do you have to stand in line to wait for your turn to experience the 3 broomstics?

This is first vacation to universal and I have no idea.

Thanks for the info!
off site 1994 Port Orleans Resort 1995Caribbean Resort 1996 All Start Movie Resort 1999: All Star Movies Resort 2000 All Star Music Resort 2003 Pop Century 2004 Pop Century aug/2007 Pop Century June/2009 Royal Pacific Hotel 2011/Pop Century 2014

ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #254
intrep93
Mouseketeer

We are planning a trip to Disney in September 2011. Kids are 14, 12 and 8 and would also like to go to WWOHP. We would only spend 1 day at Universal but I've heard lines at WWOHP are still crazy long -even in "slow" times. My 8 year old is not a kid I want to be in line with for 40 minutes and I don't really want to subject him to others for that time period, either. So do those of you who have already been there think the lines will be bad the week after labor day? Should we spring for 1 very expensive night on property for express?? Or should we skip it altogether knowing that we may never make it back to this area of the country?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #255
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrep93 View Post
We are planning a trip to Disney in September 2011. Kids are 14, 12 and 8 and would also like to go to WWOHP. We would only spend 1 day at Universal but I've heard lines at WWOHP are still crazy long -even in "slow" times. My 8 year old is not a kid I want to be in line with for 40 minutes and I don't really want to subject him to others for that time period, either. So do those of you who have already been there think the lines will be bad the week after labor day? Should we spring for 1 very expensive night on property for express?? Or should we skip it altogether knowing that we may never make it back to this area of the country?
We were there right before labour day week and it was great. Crowds were very manageable...even got pictures in the Wizarding World with nobody else around. It is a good time to go.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: