Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #211
tamaraten
Mouseketeer

Logistic Advice For On-Site Morning after Off-site Night

Hi all, I just read this entire thread - it's amazing how generous everyone is with their information - thank you.

I'm a first-timer to Universal, arriving with DH and four kids on Saturday night, really late (around midnight) Dec. 4, and staying at an off-site hotel for that first (crash) night.

In the morning, Sunday, as advised by the wonderful people on the Disboards, we'll go and check in at RPR where we have a reservation for three nights.

My question is, could you please advise on how to do that first morning regarding getting to IOA, what time - since we have to first check into our hotel, leave our bags etc.- then we have to get to the parks and buy our tickets (because I'm buying an AP which I understand I can only do at the gates, and then buy our tickets with the AP discount)...(by the way, I also still haven't figured out which tower to book our standard connecting rooms in to have the closest proximity to get to the parks, so advice on this would be great too!)....and where to go first considering we probably won't get our act together for 7:30 a.m. when it has been suggested to get there for early hours and to first get to Olivander's I understand as this place fills up super quickly because of its small size.

In short, I'm really confused and a bit stressed because of everything we have to do that morning before we even make it over to WWoHP! Any and all advice on how to plan this first day would be supremely appreciated!
tamaraten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #212
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Is there an afternoon only ticket? FJ size restrictions?

I am thinking about going the day we arrive December 8. This is a short trip and this is all the time we have. Is there a cheaper ticket alternative since we will only have about 5 hours at the park? We would be arriving around 2-3. We are only interested in WWoHP. Is that enough time?

I have lost track. There was some talk about easing of size restrictions on FJ. Has this happened? I have never had a problem on any other rides so I don't want to go just for WWoHP and then not be able to ride.
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #213
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

5 hours is plenty of time to visit Potter. Unfortunately, no there is no cheaper park ticket option.

The restraints on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (the ride inside Hogwarts Castle) has been modified to allow slightly larger guests to ride now. There are test seats outside the castle, as well as one right before you get on. When you try it out, there are 3 lights, red, yellow, and green. If you pull down the harness and it gives you a green light, you can ride in any seat. A yellow light means you need a modified seat. A red light means you can't ride any seat. If you get yellow, just as the Team Members at the 2nd test seat that you need a modified one and they'll let you know what to do.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #214
coaster_addict
Earning My Ears

I just made my 4th trip to IOA this fall (I'm a local ^_^) and everytime I have gone on FJ it seems that there are less and less people in the modified seats line.

The first time I was there I saw loads of people in the middle line and saw a lot of people being turned away at the test seats outside, but the last two times I went (mid-October and today) I didn't see anybody getting turned away and I saw some POOH sized guys and gals riding so I wouldn't worry!

Based on all the fears and net talk about FJ there were about 20 people I saw in line today that I thought would be disappointed trying to ride, but away they went!! Enjoy your trip!
coaster_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #215
sendtodb
Earning My Ears

Early entry question

We have early entry, and our travel agent picked a 9am time for us for the 3 broomsticks meal. My question is, is that a bad time for the meal? Just wondering if that gives us time to do FJ first? Wondering if we should change the breakfast to 8am (then get to FJ before the regular gates open), or to something like 9:30 or 10 (to give us time for JF & Ollivanders. We will be there Friday, 2/18/11 (the Friday before a lot of schools have vacation week! TIA!
sendtodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #216
Travel1989
Earning My Ears

If it were me I would change to a later time although I haven't eaten breakfast there only dinner. We had early entry and went straight to the Ollivanders. We only had to wait 10 or 15 minutes. Later when the gates open you can wait for hours in line. After the wand experience we took advantage of the emptiness in the stores to pick up goodies before the crowds. I didn't mind waiting in line for FJ later. 50 minutes in line and then less then 10 minutes for the single rider. Have fun!!
Travel1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #217
sendtodb
Earning My Ears

So how much later? 9:30? Would like to hit Ollivanders & FJ before breakfast (is that doable on a Friday?) Just don't want to be sitting on a ride, or standing in a line when it's time for our reservation. Thanks for your info, folks!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #218
JohnsPrincess
DIS Veteran

We went to the park tonight...we were probably through the main gates around 6:15. We went directly back and to the FJ ride. Posted wait time was 75 min. We asked if that was correct and were told the wait would be between 60 and 75 min. However, we only waited 35!!!

It was our first time and it was AMAZING!!!!

DH39 Me34 Sebastian1 Daisy Aurora Willow AGD
Disney Cruise on the Wonder: Christmas 2009 & Dec 2013
Trips to Parks: Too many to count!
JohnsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #219
sendtodb
Earning My Ears

OK, who has tried to fit in Breakfast, Ollivanders & FJ early morning recently?

OK, who has tried to fit in Breakfast, Ollivanders & FJ early morning recently? Sorry to be a pain, but this is probably the only shot I have to see HP for the next couple years, and I want to make sure my kids see what they want. If my breakfast time is 9am, can I come in at 8 & go straight to Ollivanders? Then eat @ 9am, and still have a fairly short wait at FJ at 9:30-ish?!? Kept thinking I should push the bfst out, but maybe it's good where it is? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #220
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendtodb View Post
OK, who has tried to fit in Breakfast, Ollivanders & FJ early morning recently? Sorry to be a pain, but this is probably the only shot I have to see HP for the next couple years, and I want to make sure my kids see what they want. If my breakfast time is 9am, can I come in at 8 & go straight to Ollivanders? Then eat @ 9am, and still have a fairly short wait at FJ at 9:30-ish?!? Kept thinking I should push the bfst out, but maybe it's good where it is? Thanks!
When are you going? At Christmas break you may not be able to get it done where middle of Dec. you may.

I would book breakfast for after 9:30.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #221
sendtodb
Earning My Ears

Friday, feb 18th... I believe for many schools, the next week is vacation week. So I'm assuming it will be busy. I'll look into either moving it out past 9, or maybe get it scheduled for 8am, then we'll be off & running by 8:30...
Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #222
Travel1989
Earning My Ears

My advice would be to book after 9:30 maybe 10 if you can wait that long. I think the early entry was 8am (please correct me if i'm wrong). If you want to do Ollivanders definitely do it first. I was speed walking to keep in front of the crowd and just managed a spot at the front of the line. Arriving as much as 5 minutes later would have meant a MUCH longer line. I would recommend trying FJ before breakfast. Best to try on an empty stomach I think Then if you did finish both before your breakfast time you could always wander the shops before they get too crowded. I was onsite so had express for hippogrif and dragons but I think they would be ok to leave until after breakfast. Then we did the single rider for fj a few times. Good luck with your planning. I can't wait to go back.
Travel1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #223
ladeedeb
Mouseketeer

No, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
I am thinking about going the day we arrive December 8. This is a short trip and this is all the time we have. Is there a cheaper ticket alternative since we will only have about 5 hours at the park? We would be arriving around 2-3. We are only interested in WWoHP. Is that enough time?

I have lost track. There was some talk about easing of size restrictions on FJ. Has this happened? I have never had a problem on any other rides so I don't want to go just for WWoHP and then not be able to ride.
Although there aren't regular cheaper tickets for part day, I have heard of convention tickets available to the public for cheaper, although I don't remember what time you can use them. I know they have them for Disney, but I could have sworn that I read that someone got them for Universal. I would call and ask. Worst case is they say no convention tickets available.

Also, if you are in an area that carries the 3-day tickets at Costco, and you plan on going to USO again in the next 3 years, they have tickets for cheaper that don't expire until 2013 and you can use any of the 3 days at any time until then.

Hope this helps.
ladeedeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #224
ladeedeb
Mouseketeer

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel1989 View Post
My advice would be to book after 9:30 maybe 10 if you can wait that long. I think the early entry was 8am (please correct me if i'm wrong). If you want to do Ollivanders definitely do it first. I was speed walking to keep in front of the crowd and just managed a spot at the front of the line. Arriving as much as 5 minutes later would have meant a MUCH longer line. I would recommend trying FJ before breakfast. Best to try on an empty stomach I think Then if you did finish both before your breakfast time you could always wander the shops before they get too crowded. I was onsite so had express for hippogrif and dragons but I think they would be ok to leave until after breakfast. Then we did the single rider for fj a few times. Good luck with your planning. I can't wait to go back.

I agree. I would change it to 9:30 or 10, somewhere in there. We went at a slow time & didn't do the morning on a Friday. We got there at about 7:30 ish, waited until about 7:45 to get in, and were led right up to the Olivander's area which opened at 8. We weren't 1st in, but were in the 2nd group, so didn't wait long at all. Did FJ right after shopping at owl post, shopped, had butter beer and were leaving the area as the crowds were coming in 9-9:30, somewhere in there.

I do believe if you rush and are in the front of the walking line to Olivander's, get in the 1st, or even 2nd group, don't stop at the owl post, and do single rider on FJ, you should be able to make your 9:00 breakfast. You can always do the castle tour after to see what you missed of the castle. The only thing you won't see at all if you do this is the green house, I believe.

Good luck & have fun.
ladeedeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #225
xerotheory7803
Mouseketeer

Few questions:

How are the lines towards the end of the day?

Do you have to wait on the line for Ollivanders if you only want to purchase one, and NOT have them choose your wand?

I'm thinking of heading over there tomorrow or Saturday (I'm in Daytona Beach for the weekend), any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Disney Cast Member since 2012.

7.91 Offsite // 8.95 AS Sports // 8.96 Offsite // 8.99 Dixie Landing
8.00 Dixie Landing // 4.01 Offsite // 7.02 Offsite // 7.06 AS Music // 5.07 Offsite
7.07 AS Music // 1.08 Offsite // 7.08 Offsite // 3.09 AS Movies // 9.09 Pop Century
3.10 AS Sports // 8.10 Pop Century // 1.11 AS Sports // 3.11 Pop Century // 5.11 Coronado Springs // 9.11 Pop Century & Boardwalk
xerotheory7803 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: