Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Davey Jones II
Mouseketeer

Diagon Alley interactive wand

We're going to be there next month. I'd like to hear people's opinions about the interactive wands. I hear they unlock various effects in DA, but that they cost around $40. Is it worth buying one to enhance the walk through experience in DA?
Davey Jones II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Melissa8905
Mouseketeer

My family and I just returned from our first trip to Universal and WWHP, and we had a fantastic time with our interactive wands. They work both in spots at Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, and the effects for the spells are wonderful. I feel like it added a whole other dimension onto our trip, other than just doing rides. I highly recommend it. Don't miss out on Knockturn Alley in DA: fun "dark wizard" spells to be cast
Melissa8905 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

I am so excited about this. We are going in November and my DS11 really wants an interactive wand. Are the locations marked? Do they give you the spells to cast?
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
christophfam
DIS Veteran

I'm curious about this as well... sounds like great fun! I have the interactive Mickey from years ago, forget what they called him. I loved taking him to the parks back when I did Disney.

ANYWAY, does anyone know if the wands that choose you at Ollivander's, if they are interactive?

Me DH DS (18) DD(15)
More trips than I can count! Every year 1-2 times for the last 17 years!! Disney and Universal stays - CSR, POP, All Stars, WL, AKL, RPR , HRH
christophfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

For those that have purchased and used them, do you think they are worth it for adults? We are travelling without kids in May, and are curious as to whether it would be a silly purchase for a middle-aged couple not travelling with children.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Dee2013
Mouseketeer

And where do you put them?

Do you get a locker just for the wand? They're kind of long to just go in a pocket...
Dee2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Go Vols
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
For those that have purchased and used them, do you think they are worth it for adults? We are travelling without kids in May, and are curious as to whether it would be a silly purchase for a middle-aged couple not travelling with children.
Just back from a 5 day trip and left the kid at home. We purchased a wand and it was totally with it.
Go Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
EvilQueenLiz
Earning My Poison Apples

DS8 loved his wand and our 25 year old friend loved his too! Just be careful with the end of the wand, DS scratched his and it had to be replaced because it wasn't working anymore. I was able to fit my wand in a drawstring backpack but keeping it in a locker would be a good idea.

There are some unmarked places where you can cast spells too! Ask the Team Members if they can help you find some.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vols View Post
Just back from a 5 day trip and left the kid at home. We purchased a wand and it was totally with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilQueenLiz View Post
DS8 loved his wand and our 25 year old friend loved his too!

Thank you both!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
iheartglaciers
Mouseketeer

My friend was chosen for the Ollivanders show and the wand that picked her was interactive. The show lets out into the wand shop and one wall has interactive wands and another wall has (less expensive) non-interactive wands.

It was pretty fun and there were many stations (like 40-50 throughout the two HP park sections). Sometimes it felt a little less magical for two reasons--sometimes there would be a wait to do one of the stations (particularly later in the day, and I've heard during busier times of the year there can be small lines) and often the spell doesn't work on the first (or second or third) try. Apparently glare can affect the magic. But workers were often around to help out.

But overall it was worth it and enhanced the experience! You get a map with the magi locations, but you can also just walk around and look for small metal discs on the ground that show you where to point your wand and what wand movement to do.

There is also an impressive variation in effects between stations! So it's not just the same things at every station.

Last edited by iheartglaciers; 09-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.
iheartglaciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
iheartglaciers
Mouseketeer

Ollivanders also puts the wand (and box) in a nifty wand shaped shopping bag which makes it easy to carry around the parks. The bag and wand also fits in the ride lockers.
iheartglaciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Yes! DD suckered me into buying her one, but we saw as many adults as kids using them. I have to say, it was fun to see what the wand does. We used it in both parks. There was a team member standing near most of the places and helped if needed. We liked the wand too.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
dsdeleon
Mouseketeer

The ability to walk around casting spells is so fun for me and my son. We feel like true Witches and Wizards!! DS also loooves being a mini CM and letting other littles use his wand and shows them how. There is absolutely nothing better to do in all of Orlando than to stick two wands in my pocket (yes, I do this) and walk around the WWOHP. This is what theme parks should be doing with RFID, not counting us in a queue. Go uni!
dsdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Davey Jones II
Mouseketeer

OK, thanks for the responses. I think we're sold.
Davey Jones II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
indyannamom
Earning My Ears

Question to add...
We have 3 children...
For those with more than one child, did you buy them each a wand?

My kiddos would probably argue over just one...but not sure it would be worth another $80 to keep the peace!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: